a question about DD2.

hi im a dungeon defenders fan from when i played the game on ps3 and i loved it and have been waiting for it on the ps4 since they announced DD2 on ps4. my question is what are gems and what are they used for? since the game is coming out on ps4 tomorrow but they have different packages to buy a 15$ 25$ and a 80$(i think cant remember correctly) and the only differences that are really interest me are the gem differences you receive for the pack you buy so is alot of gems a must or could i do without? thanks for taking your time to read the post and even bigger thanks if you answer it.

They allow you to purchase things like costumes, additional hero slots, inventory bags, etc. Prices are likely still in flux because the game is not even in beta and the monetization model (along with everything else) is not final.

It should also be noted that, at least in the pc version, you can purchase additional gems at any time.  There is no need to shell out $80 up front.

im also another questions are you able to get gems through just playing the game or are they only available by buying them?

@RoseAqua quote:

im also another questions are you able to get gems through just playing the game or are they only available by buying them?

They can only be bought.

However, they do giveaways from time to time on their Dev Stream for gem codes.

Here is a link to the official DD2 twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/trendyent

I have found as you get more "end game" the gems are needed for inventory space, i had to buy some for extra bags i like to have different sets of gear for different play styles and also auto collecting gear through the rounds. i have 10 bags and this even pushes the limit sometimes, i'm sure in the future i will need even more keep that in mind when you purchase the game.

The most important thing you can buy with gems is inventory bags.  A 32-slot bag costs 450 gems.  The cheapest pack contains 2000 gems, so you can get four bags with it.  You also get four bags to begin with, for a total of eight.  That gets you pretty far, but may not be enough if you get really serious.

I bought the collectors edition, and id say it's well worth it. You have enough for alot of bags, future skins etc., and you wont have to care about buying more gems in the future if you spend them properly. 

Plus, you support the dev team of a great game :-)

So id say go with the collectors if you also feel like supporting them. One-time payment and gets you set for quite a long time.

@AKHvid quote:

I bought the collectors edition, and id say it's well worth it. You have enough for alot of bags, future skins etc., and you wont have to care about buying more gems in the future if you spend them properly. 

+1

I've bought five bags and a few costumes so far, and still have over 9000 gems left.

Has anyone calculated the total price for all the current costumes and accessories?

Atm the moment 1000 gems are priced @ 10 dollars!

There some kind of 10% extra for the 2 most expensive options atm.

I had collectors edition and so had around 12000 gems after the wipe, I now have about 1800 :( 

So if you can get a deal on a gem package , do it - but only if you can afford it.

Why did I buy that farmer apprentice (and beard) - worst skin ever :P

Why did I buy that farmer apprentice (and beard) - worst skin ever :P

Oh, I think the sleepytime squire is right up there too.