Pet Affection tips

Well, after reading some of the suggestions and "supposed" exploits posted on the forums I finally decided to figure this out because it's coming down to the wire for me to get this. 

From everything I've tried the facts seem to be.

Pet affection is gained regardless of the difficulty, or level that you play. 

Affection progress seems to be from actually beating a map (No, just loading a level and losing doesn't gain you pet levels :/)

The quickest way I've found is that the first affection level comes very quickly.   Equip a brand new pet with 0/10 affection. Start a Free play round on easy.  Pick any map (I was rotating maps to get the xp bonus).

Build close to the spawns and afk the rounds as quickly as possible.  At the end of the level you will have gained 1 pet affection.  After the first affection gain it started taking 2+ rounds to get another pet affection level.

Equip and new pet 0/10 after each round and start again.  It only takes 1 round to get your first affection level so if you are like me, with 40 pets in your bank you can get 30+ affection levels at 1 round per affection. 

I haven't found a quicker way than this so far.

This is the way i completed the affection part of the quest, which was the one that took the longest.

I got 1 level per run, 1-2 or 9-10 didn't matter, it was always 1 per 7 waves completed on easy freeplay first map. I would do 5 runs (2x per day or every other day) to get my pet to 10, then sell it.

It's odd that it is taking you 2+ rounds after the first to gain 1 level. Was it like this for others?

@Omm quote:

I got 1 level per run, 1-2 or 9-10 didn't matter, it was always 1 per 7 waves completed on easy freeplay first map. I would do 5 runs (2x per day or every other day) to get my pet to 10, then sell it.

It's odd that it is taking you 2+ rounds after the first to gain 1 level. Was it like this for others?

Yep I'm not sure why.  But after the first affection level it's 2 levels per affection.  I'm going to check the wave count again, but that's why I was switching out pets to speed up the progress.

Thanks for the tips.  Pet leveling is a great mystery.  I keep expecting XP to go up with the difficulty, but it doesn't seem to.  

I just used the pet level challenge as an excuse to level a set of alt DPS heroes.  I put the pets on from 1-10 while leveling heroes on Free Play Hard.  That way I could get levels, evolve the pets, and finally get pure DPS characters to play with. Not that I have room to use them in deck during solo play ;-)

The sword pet is cool, it's the next pet I'm going to level.  Hopefully next months challenge isn't getting hero levels.  I'm a little tired of leveling and just want to play ;-).

Never thought of that [[44989,users]].  Pretty sure it wont work.  It does seem to be somewhat tied to the number of waves you complete, and not rounds.  I'm testing that now and will post.

I believe Trendy didn't give much information about it, except that pet affection levels up with the number of waves completed, regardless of difficulty and map.

With this weekend's instant hatching, I would just play as much as possible with a low level pet in game. 0 level pets get that first upgrade fast.  Free Play Hard seems to be an easy place to level and get eggs.  None of the start-stop exploits seem to be worth the effort even if they do work.  I would just rather play, level and get some gold.

All the leveling this week unfortunately left me less time to capitalize on the Loot Cave event.  So sad, when I have trouble choosing which event to "exploit" ;-)