Onslaught feels like a scam

So having at last acquired good enough loot, I finally had a good run on Onslaught. I got to wave 15 and got my first Golden Egg, I then quit due to the patch coming up and considered it a success.

I tried again today banking on Gold as my win reward with the overall intention of gaining Wyvern Tokens. Now, it could just be Trendy wants them to be extra rare and vaulable, I can understand that. What I don't see is why the reward rate for them is so insanely low that I went through 3 hours and 27~ rounds worth to get absolutely nothing. Why are they not strictly set at 15 +10 rounds like the other* rewards? It just feels like the game is cheating you at that point, considering from what I've read, you only get 1 Token at a time (or in at least one instance, 0). Game design is about making the player feel rewarded for the feats they've accomplished, that's how (for example) levelling in MMOs is psychologically addictive. Making it all about luck just spoils it all and takes control away from the player.

Can someone from Trendy please address why this is currently the case?

*I don't know if anyone's tried picking the armour pieces so I don't know what you get for them.

I only tried onslaught once, mostly because I hate the map you have to do it on. I chose armor pieces and seemed to just get bland armor. I didn't however get nearly as far into it as you.

I had a good build and as cruising through, then i got disconnected "Host Left" from my own game, nice.

Game too buggy to bother with this mode for me.

There are more onslaught maps available in endgame.  Recently another map was added to free play hard onslaught as well.

The rewards are a joke.  For equippable items, it's just another RNG item, and isn't even guaranteed to be mythical or legendary.  Enemies in normal maps drop so many more items that it's completely pointless to choose them as onslaught rewards.  Wyvern tokens only appear once in a blue moon and the gold rewards are insignificant so the currency category is a bust as well.  With the pet category you at least can reliably get golden eggs.  I prefer the normal looks of pets though.

Yesterday I played a few rounds of onslaught (throne room, free play hard) with friends since there were some reports that it would give good XP.  It didn't, but we got three horde rounds at the beginning.  We had a blast with 500+ enemies per wave, almost like in the times of DD1.  That's what we feel onslaught should be like, rather than a war of attrition.

@Woqini quote:

Onslaught is boring as hell. Bring back DD1 survival mode.

Specifically the feature that let's you start on a wave after you have beat that wave.

@tdb quote:

With the pet category you at least can reliably get golden eggs.

Is this new? We gave up on onslaught; we reached 15 multiple times and never got a golden egg.

@Sen quote:

@tdb quote:

With the pet category you at least can reliably get golden eggs.

Is this new? We gave up on onslaught; we reached 15 multiple times and never got a golden egg.

Sometimes you have to run through wave 16 in order to get it, especially if you're there from the start.

Doesn't make sense, but hey, what does right now in the current state of the game.

Onslaught is the most unrewarding mode in the game at the moment, and it's pretty bad. 

@Woqini quote:

Onslaught is boring as hell. Bring back DD1 survival mode.

+1 Onslaught sucks.... Survival mode was 100x better

I find onslaught to be the most fun game mode, which makes sense because I always preferred survival in DD1.  Of course, I liked DD1 survival better: https://dungeondefenders.com/2/topic/122621/is-onslaught-the-survival-mode-that-anyone-wanted?page=1[[6641,hashtags]]

It might be interesting if instead of choosing which one item you wanted to throw away every three waves you could choose to only have a certain item category drop.  That would create an effective way to farm something other than weapons and relics, or to evolve a pet without dumping 1E6 gold.  As with all adjustments to loot distribution though, it would just be a band-aid hiding the (gigazelle) fundamental problems with endgame loot.