Sign in to follow this  
Trendy Brett

Balance Foreshadow - Upcoming Combat Hero Changes

As those whom read our patch notes may have noticed, we have been doing dives into various hero combat mechanics to make them scale better with end-game gear. In an upcoming patch, the next set of hero combat changes will go in. This is a preview of the thinking behind some of these upcoming changes.

To note, these changes are not builds; we aren't adding more combat-focused passives just yet. These are merely normal balance changes targeted at fixing / improving hero combat as a whole.

----

• Hero Damage

Hero Damage-focused heroes were lagging behind Ability Power-focused heroes, and combat heroes in general needed a boost in their end-game effectiveness. As such, there will be a substantial increase in the Hero Damage scalar in an upcoming patch (affecting ALL heroes). 

The change will have only slight impact on the early-game, but will substantially increase in the amount of damage heroes can output with basic attacks at the end-game.

• Hero Crit Damage

We also wanted to make the Hero Crit Damage stat more effective, so we mostly increased it's effectiveness across the board on abilities. A few abilities actually had abnormally high Hero Crit Damage multipliers, and we brought those in-line with other abilities. The vast majority of abilities, especially high-cost abilities (Mana Bomb), will scale much better with Hero Crit Damage.

• Apprentice Secondary Attack

We had to make some balance changes to the Apprentice's Secondary Attack during this update. We've added falloff to the additional targets hit, and, reduced it's initial damage to bring it more in-line with the maximum potential of other Secondary Attacks (namely the Huntress). We want his charge attack to be used to fight packs of enemies, as well as to mark groups of targets simultaneously, but the old 'no falloff' model was making it incredibly difficult to balance hitting 4+ enemies at once. We're satisfied that the new approach will still allow it to be quite effective against groups of enemies, but not always superior to his Primary Attack against fewer targets.

• Ability Mana Regeneration

Ability Mana is the fuel that runs Ability Power-focused heroes, and we felt this was too heavily weighted on skill spheres. The amount of mana provided by skill spheres contributed more to overall combat performance than any other equivalent skill sphere could, which made for boring choices. As such, we've increased the base mana regeneration of ALL heroes, but, reduced the amount of regeneration on those skill spheres to compensate. Passives that provide mana regeneration remain untouched for now, but we'll be keeping an eye on them.

----

We want combat heroes to have some choices in the gear and skill spheres they equip, and hopefully all of these changes increase the viability of combat heroes as a whole, and, open up more interesting equipment options to them. 

More improvements to combat heroes are coming in the future, so rest assured this is just the first step in a series of updates planned to make hero combat more effective and exciting.

I appreciate the love for combat heroes. I love playing my huntress dps...when I can. Problem is, now that dps will be so cool and fun and the new toy on the block, with the hero deck still a thorn in our side, who's gonna build the map? lol

Little sarcasm here but not entirely. I have a a bunch of nice people I've met and play with regularly and it's already an issue of: 'hurry up and get better gear so I can bring dps' and 'God I wish we didn't need to use squire tanks all the time' lol

@SGRock quote:

Please wipe the Hero Deck!

I hope you mean the concept and not our toons^^

Looking forward to better dps'ing in end game. 

Hope we at some point get some DPS based sphere's and ubers and passives (later is ofc ok!!)

@Hover Tower 2000 quote:

@SGRock quote:

Hope we at some point get some DPS based sphere's and ubers and passives (later is ofc ok!!)

I specifically refer to wiping (elimination of) the (Dev imposed) limit of bringing only 4 of your heroes into a game.

Can we PLEASE have more hero health in end game????? I want the option to stand toe to toe with specials and ogres for more than a couple seconds. Also, I don't want kiting and tanking as the only effective mechanics for interacting with them from a melee perspective. I also want my huntress and my apprentice to be able to approach an ogre who is wailing on my barricade in order to repair it without getting me or my defenses wiped out in one shot.

Great idea making a DPS hero more effective as I play solo a lot.  But if I am bringing my squire to build walls, my monk for AA, my huntress to build those necessary traps as I play nm3-4 mostly and my apprentice for that much needed frosty, how in the hell am I going to be able to bring this awesome new DPS character?

Yeah, you wonder if Trendy actually play their game at all.

Priority 1. Fix towers

Priority 2. Fix boost aura or Frosty fire boosts tower of firing, see P1.

Priority3. Hero Deck to at least 5 to even allow us to have a DPS toon <sigh>

Can we make heros not be affected by lane resist and other crap. It's kinda annoying when you play app DPS then your tornado is useless 90% of the time cause all mobs are grounded. 

@Kevo149 quote:

Can we make heros not be affected by lane resist and other crap. It's kinda annoying when you play app DPS then your tornado is useless 90% of the time cause all mobs are grounded. 

I figured you'd also bring up that all of his attacks are magic so magic resist lanes ignore him.

Grounded lanes do make DPS Apprentice and Monk unsatisfying though.

@Faysumi quote:
@Kevo149 quote:

I figured you'd also bring up that all of his attacks are magic so magic resist lanes ignore him.

yeah that as well, Sucks to see a geared dps do 1k dmg vs a mob cause of 75% dmg reduction.

@Kevo149 quote:

@Faysumi quote:
@Kevo149 quote:

yeah that as well, Sucks to see a geared dps do 1k dmg vs a mob cause of 75% dmg reduction.

Sucks to see a geared DPS do 4k damage anyway.  Hopefully AD will be meaningful with this change.

@Faysumi quote:
@Kevo149 quote:

@Faysumi quote:
@Kevo149 quote:

Sucks to see a geared DPS do 4k damage anyway.  Hopefully AD will be meaningful with this change.

yeah that sucks, just don't make dps too good where your build is just good enough to kill trash and you can deeps the bosses before they can do anything.

A lot of bad players on DD1 use to clear content with very little tower investment and went pure dps. Hell i use to do mistymire forest with 2 other friends with no towers just b/c it was fun.

@Kevo149 quote:

@Faysumi quote:
@Kevo149 quote:

@Faysumi quote:
@Kevo149 quote:

yeah that sucks, just don't make dps too good where your build is just good enough to kill trash and you can deeps the bosses before they can do anything.

A lot of bad players on DD1 use to clear content with very little tower investment and went pure dps. Hell i use to do mistymire forest with 2 other friends with no towers just b/c it was fun.

I don't see how having little tower investment is a bad thing. 

You should be able to choose if you want to have your towers do the work (Tower investment), you do the work as your hero (Hero investment) OR have a mixture of them both (hybrid) 

What needs to happen though is the same amount of stat investment being required otherwise most people will choose the path of least resistance. 

@SGRock quote:

@Hover Tower 2000 quote:

@SGRock quote:

I specifically refer to wiping (elimination of) the (Dev imposed) limit of bringing only 4 of your heroes into a game.

agreed. atm i have ZERO motivation to buy another character slot. mainly because of this limit. i would like to create a tank or dps huntress. but the 4 hero limit ingame makes it a waste of money for me.