Sign in to follow this  
batoutofhe11

weak influence votes

so this came to mind while reading another persons article on here, and it's been quite a while since we had our last influence vote and then this latest one came and i had no clue what it even was! i had to read into it and actually test it to find out it was a thing. 

but no one knew about it. it wasn't a big talked about elephant in the room like some other key features of DD2 are (loot...pets...shops...etc). so i think a big thing for trendy would be to bring back meaningful votes for features that are currently big problems. i'd love to see what the community thinks on drop rates or the builds, but we never had votes on those. so i'm not saying to make the forums completely democratic and voting daily, but maybe weekly with good topics.

@batoutofhe11 quote:

(loot...pets...shops...etc)

The devs themselves told us at various occasions the stuff mentioned in the quote is partially broken and needs to be rebalanced. So what should the vote be about? Fix it or fix it?

@Colonel Rambo quote:

Then i have a topic for u, pink unicorns or rainbow unicorns

unicorn_pink.gifEd0td7K4AwbvynjoSBeE4qSAwUONMtO1BuM3yvkB

Clearly the Rainbow Unicorn, which is in the modern MLP style, rather than the pink one which looks like it has a hippo head.

there is a difference between fixing the feature of broken or bad mechanics and balancing them. one means less or more numbers, the other means overhauling many features. just that alone could be their influence votes; should we redo or balance. i'm betting redo would win out

@Dreizehn quoted

The devs themselves told us at various occasions the stuff mentioned in the quote is partially broken and needs to be rebalanced. So what should the vote be about? Fix it or fix it?

@batoutofhe11 quote:

there is a difference between fixing the feature of broken or bad mechanics and balancing them. one means less or more numbers, the other means overhauling many features. just that alone could be their influence votes; should we redo or balance. i'm betting redo would win out

The game would never be finished, in this case.

Or it would turn out as a copy of DD1 because everyone is hungry for a global DD1 wipe.

sure it would get finished, it just means the devs wouldn't get their way and they would have to make good decisions instead of half baked ones. 

@Seph quote:

The game would never be finished, in this case.

Or it would turn out as a copy of DD1 because everyone is hungry for a global DD1 wipe.

@batoutofhe11 quote:

sure it would get finished, it just means the devs wouldn't get their way and they would have to make good decisions instead of half baked ones.

And by "good decisions" you mean everything that community want? That is a highway to a disaster that was proven before a number of times. I can't recall the title(-s), though, so you may see this as a thing i "made up" and it won't be "unfair" as i have nothing to back up that statement.

Very often, the community's desires (all of them as a whole) are the bad decisions or ways to go.

"I've got this brilliant idea, no no just hear me out! Remember when we were discussing about the-"

"hey, hey! shut up and let me finish as laughter is being heard around the office"

remember that time many months ago we learned that many users were using a cheesy strategy to plow through maps since objectives didn't enforce negative game play consequences in any way what so ever?

oh god, you're going to love this guys, just hear me out. so we know that they know we know about the current situation, especially when we can be quoted months back about getting ready to implement a fix to negate the ability people could build around cores and objectives for a viable turtle strategy.

*laughter continues oh!  -the best part is coming up says some random developer*

ok ok ok, so you know how we're involving the community with our influential system right!?

"haha, well guess what i have planned!"

"instead of actually just going ahead and fixing the problem like we said we would, we'll buy ourselves more time by putting it up to whether they want us to work on that day, or if it should come as a function element to our game play!"

great idea!! dude we should totally use more concepts like this to bring forth for our community to vote on!

@Seph quote:

@batoutofhe11 quote:

And by "good decisions" you mean everything that community want? That is a highway to a disaster that was proven before a number of times. I can't recall the title(-s), though, so you may see this as a thing i "made up" and it won't be "unfair" as i have nothing to back up that statement.

Very often, the community's desires (all of them as a whole) are the bad decisions or ways to go.

i can't really recall any title(s) ruined by community suggestions. ark is in it's prime because A LOT of the ingame content was (and is) based on community suggestions, and they keep making more every week.

here's how i'd like influence polls to work. dev's have some big feature they want to add to game, not complete feature but an idea for it. they make poll about it before they code it. for example if they introduced scavenger before implementing, i'm pretty confident people would not vote for this old guy who is hated by 99.9% of players. this way influence polls will be REALLY INFLUENTIAL. 

@-venOm- quote:i can't really recall any title(s) ruined by community suggestions. ark is in it's prime because A LOT of the ingame content was (and is) based on community suggestions, and they keep making more every week.

here's how i'd like influence polls to work. dev's have some big feature they want to add to game, not complete feature but an idea for it. they make poll about it before they code it. for example if they introduced scavenger before implementing, i'm pretty confident people would not vote for this old guy who is hated by 99.9% of players. this way influence polls will be REALLY INFLUENTIAL. 

The way i see it, the Scavenger is being hated on not because of the idea / purpose of itself, but because of it's execution.

Once it all is ironed out, people won't be so angry. It's just that majority doesn't have the patience it takes to deal with such experiments of things. Scavenger is NOT harmful AT ALL. Everyone is just pouring their frustration and anger of TiB removal onto Scavenger, because, well, let's face it - people need a sheep to vent their anger of losing TiB on.

However, TE does not want to have TiB in the game (the TiB that we had, at least). I am waiting with excitement to see how it all works out when Inventory is all patched up and working, with those 60-ish slots in bags, all the sorting options, filtering, auto-selling, auto-looting, etc... I guess i went too deep with the Scavenger here, lol.

Anyway, Ark (assume you had Lost Ark Online in mind) is a Korean game, right? And Asia in general is much, much more experienced in the video game industry overall (both players and developers). So i would assume that's why it's going so well, if what you said is true. Can't wait for Ark^^

It would actually be interesting to see how our community feels about major updates in the form of suvey or poll =)

@Seph quote:

The way i see it, the Scavenger is being hated on not because of the idea / purpose of itself, but because of it's execution.

Once it all is ironed out, people won't be so angry. It's just that majority doesn't have the patience it takes to deal with such experiments of things.

wut. experiment? what experiment?

It's because the majority did not see the vision.  It was literally like 10 steps backwards and after feedback was given (read: ***storm) there was a reaction in the form of auto collect options.. two weeks later. 

It's more about seeing ineptitude and getting frustrated, rather than lacking patience.  How can you call anyone who's still among us in the forums/game not patient? lmao

And no, by ark he means Ark: Survival Evolved.  Popular early access game atm that is getting majority good feedback (aside from optimization issues; lag, basically).  And they are quick about updates, new content, implementing feedback, etc because their team is 50+ where as TE is like a dozen... not because of nationalities.  Like wut.

@Pachipachio quote:

@Seph quote:

Once it all is ironed out, people won't be so angry. It's just that majority doesn't have the patience it takes to deal with such experiments of things.

wut. experiment? what experiment?

It's because the majority did not see the vision.  It was literally like 10 steps backwards and after feedback was given (read: ***storm) there was a reaction in the form of auto collect options.. two weeks later. 

It's more about seeing ineptitude and getting frustrated, rather than lacking patience.  How can you call anyone who's still among us in the forums/game not patient? lmao

And no, by ark he means Ark: Survival Evolved.  Popular early access game atm that is getting majority good feedback (aside from optimization issues; lag, basically).  And they are quick about updates, new content, implementing feedback, etc because their team is 50+ where as TE is like a dozen... not because of nationalities.  Like wut.

More over why are we also creating new problems (yes the scavenger and the new auto loot bugs are problems) when there are major game play issues such as hero development, tower usefulness, proper working towers, and the hero deck making the players not want to even play. Sorry but a week of fatty lewtz and a collect all button is not enticing enough to bring me back yet. To stay on track how about a influence vote of the top three issues and see what ones the community want fixed first.

@Seph quote:

@-venOm- quote:i can't really recall any title(s) ruined by community suggestions. ark is in it's prime because A LOT of the ingame content was (and is) based on community suggestions, and they keep making more every week.

Once it all is ironed out, people won't be so angry. It's just that majority doesn't have the patience it takes to deal with such experiments of things. Scavenger is NOT harmful AT ALL. Everyone is just pouring their frustration and anger of TiB removal onto Scavenger, because, well, let's face it - people need a sheep to vent their anger of losing TiB on.

However, TE does not want to have TiB in the game (the TiB that we had, at least). I am waiting with excitement to see how it all works out when Inventory is all patched up and working, with those 60-ish slots in bags, all the sorting options, filtering, auto-selling, auto-looting, etc... I guess i went too deep with the Scavenger here, lol.

Anyway, Ark (assume you had Lost Ark Online in mind) is a Korean game, right? And Asia in general is much, much more experienced in the video game industry overall (both players and developers). So i would assume that's why it's going so well, if what you said is true. Can't wait for Ark^^

It would actually be interesting to see how our community feels about major updates in the form of suvey or poll =)

no, people were not angry because TIB was removed, people were angry because it was replaced with broken, frustrating, not even finished version of it. Scavenger IS harmful, especially in this broken economy, if you want gold you literally have to pick everything and sell them after waves. so much time is wasted on that steps which are NOT needed at all. Dude, i like the concept of scavenger but it is nothing like i'd imagine when i heard it's name first. i want to go in game, play, have fun, and exit. i really dont want to hand pick everything to sell them. really, TE could wait a bit, complete this feature and add it later. 

i meant this ark

V

@Pachipachio quote:

Sometimes I think there are those that want this game to be some top level, professional player grade, hardcore competition, balanced to perfection. While the others just want to have fun and enjoy a new updated version of a game that was so awesome they could stop playing it, even capped out.

i also see that divide in the forums, and i think that's exactly what's the problem. i would put the divide at maybe n 80/20 split with casual being the 80%, but trendy shifted from doing the game for the casual to doing for the hardcore gamers and they are losing their big crowd and loads of money.

@Chappyy quote:

Sometimes I think there are those that want this game to be some top level, professional player grade, hardcore competition, balanced to perfection. While the others just want to have fun and enjoy a new updated version of a game that was so awesome they could stop playing it, even capped out.