Sign in to follow this  
Layarion

How can i contribute?

with the supposed power in our hands to update the game, i want to help with the leg work.

because frankly this is a tall order for anyone working on it, and i don't know how many people are involved but i want to be included. i don't know much execpt a tiny bit of C# proggramming however give me some small thing that needs done and let me learn by trying to do it. like increasing how much shop items can be sold for.

it doesn't have to be shop price tags, that was just an example (something i really want done). i don't know much though, youll have to tell me what i need to know or download to get started and how it works.

or, if it doesn't work like that and i can't help in that way, then perhaps i can be a moderator to help organize and monitor. keep the clutter out of the way basically

One of the biggest areas of help that is and will be needed is Beta Testing.  When the CDT releases a beta build, it would be nice to have as many people testing it as possible to provide feedback for it.  We will also have ways for the community to add input as to what should go in the updates like the "To Do" thread.

If you are interested in programming then I would suggest looking at the DDDK and see if that is something that actually does interest you.

@ddace quote:

One of the biggest areas of help that is and will be needed is Beta Testing.  When the CDT releases a beta build, it would be nice to have as many people testing it as possible to provide feedback for it.  We will also have ways for the community to add input as to what should go in the updates like the "To Do" thread.

If you are interested in programming then I would suggest looking at the DDDK and see if that is something that actually does interest you.

will the DDDK let me possibly fix things like 1) increase in game character limits for chat? 2) make items that fall behind a door or enemy spawn area still reachable by the player on old and current maps? 3) keep items from falling off the map when a flying creature dies?

if yes to any of those questions as a patch for all the maps then yea i'm gonna have a look. the last two are what really grate my nerves, and 4) what about not being able to place aura's on purple area's...i think it's not fair to the player.

@Layarion quote:

@ddace quote:

will the DDDK let me possibly fix things like 1) increase in game character limits for chat? 2) make items that fall behind a door or enemy spawn area still reachable by the player on old and current maps? 3) keep items from falling off the map when a flying creature dies?

if yes to any of those questions as a patch for all the maps then yea i'm gonna have a look. the last two are what really grate my nerves, and 4) what about not being able to place aura's on purple area's...i think it's not fair to the player.

Basically yes to all that.  The dev kit allows you to modify the game as you see fit..  Or you can also submit ideas to the CDT as well.  I know one has been mentioned already.  The items falling off the map from flying enemies is pretty much by design though.

@ddace quote:

@Layarion quote:

@ddace quote:

Basically yes to all that.  The dev kit allows you to modify the game as you see fit..  Or you can also submit ideas to the CDT as well.  I know one has been mentioned already.  The items falling off the map from flying enemies is pretty much by design though.

will work done in the DDDK be like a mod, where other party members must download it before they can join me or will this be like a patch released to all games if the work is approved by the community?

i'm downloadign the DDDK right now. i don't see how it's fun for the player to loose his items tot he void with flying creatures

oh and thanks for all the replies

@Layarion quote:

i'm downloadign the DDDK right now. i don't see how it's fun for the player to loose his items tot he void with flying creatures

Well no it isnt fun.  It just makes players rethink their builds sometimes if they want all the loot.

@ddace quote:

Id help beta test if you need anything 

@Layarion quote:

with the supposed power in our hands to update the game, i want to help with the leg work.

because frankly this is a tall order for anyone working on it, and i don't know how many people are involved but i want to be included. i don't know much execpt a tiny bit of C# proggramming however give me some small thing that needs done and let me learn by trying to do it. like increasing how much shop items can be sold for.

it doesn't have to be shop price tags, that was just an example (something i really want done). i don't know much though, youll have to tell me what i need to know or download to get started and how it works.

or, if it doesn't work like that and i can't help in that way, then perhaps i can be a moderator to help organize and monitor. keep the clutter out of the way basically

Unreal Engine 3 uses UnrealScript for all ingame coding. We do not have access to the engine source code (which is in C++). The good news is virtually everything gameplay related can be handled in UnrealScript (or even Kismet, which is defined in unrealscript and can be extended by it).

We certainly can use people with unrealscript capability, we can also use people capable of creating content (levels, art, etc) in the editor, models in 3DS max, maya, or whatever you use, and the like. SFX/music is also an area we could benefit from talent. There are other ways you could participate as well, so if you want to be a part of making DD1 better, have a talk with Acen, as he's our coordinator :)

@ddace quote:

@Layarion quote:

@ddace quote:

@Alhanalem quote:

@Layarion quote:

Unreal Engine 3 uses UnrealScript for all ingame coding. We do not have access to the engine source code (which is in C++). The good news is virtually everything gameplay related can be handled in UnrealScript (or even Kismet, which is defined in unrealscript and can be extended by it).

We certainly can use people with unrealscript capability, we can also use people capable of creating content (levels, art, etc) in the editor, models in 3DS max, maya, or whatever you use, and the like. SFX/music is also an area we could benefit from talent. There are other ways you could participate as well, so if you want to be a part of making DD1 better, have a talk with Acen, as he's our coordinator :)

useing the search result at the top of the page there are no defenders named Acen

@Sir NoVa quote:

This 'Murican just uses different forum nickname, otherwise he's the same person.

Speaking of which... someone force him to link his Steam profile.

I would like to.  The main reason I dont though is because the forums will likely change my title to "Defense Councilor". 

Ah fair enough. And yes, if these forums weren't a total piece of.... er.... poop.... you could manage such trifle by yourself.

useing the search result at the top of the page there are no defenders named Acen

That's what we call him by lol.

On these forums, he's DDAce above. Also, the search is terrible and it probably wouldn't find him even if that's the name he used here :p