Sign in to follow this  
Shadkillz

My view on the feeling of finding a new gear piece

Hi!

so as everyone has said here on the forum, the gear doesn't feel rewarding, and even if you equip a 40-50 ipwr higher than your last item, you almost won't  feel the dmg change.

First of, as many have said, it's starting to look like diablo more than dungeon defenders. I actually like their reasons behind it, they are making it mandatory too early in the game. They say that Nightmare 4 is the most difficult, and this will require some serious tower placement, and some good builds on your heroes (passives). That's 100% ok! BUT first, i don't like that Nightmare 4 is the most difficult, they should give the end difficulty it's own terrifying name, like in dd1, everything was easy until you hit "nightmare" and guess what, it was a nightmare... second, the passives and builds are a nice feature, and it can give people somewhat their own playstyle (this is extremly limited by the hero deck and the fact that you can't chose your own lvl up points). HOWEVER, trendy! you need to seperate this. We need a longer campaign mode, and make it last all the way to lvl 50, a mode where you actually only need stats, no pasives, but it's still challenging in the way that, the first time you try a new map, you have no clue as to how you should build, excatly like in dd1, it was easy through the whole campaign mode, but still fun. So now, we have a lvl 50 hero who completed the campaign and only has Defense stats, no pasives. We should no progress into something "incursion" a like where tower placement is becoming key, passives are starting to drop, but non of them are 100% mandatory if you know your way around the map you are playing. Incursion should be a pre endgame, that actually counts as a endgame for "casual" players, people who doesn't want to do the 1000000 hour specifik grind to hit the leaderbords, or to complete the hardest maps, but still find stuff challenging.

The core problem is now that Trendy has build the game up around their "builds" so a DP only build won't scale to high dmg since you actually only have 1 stat, in DD1 you had the attackspeed (im not here to whine about it or to try and get it back), meening that now, we put 20 points in DP and get more dmg on the turret, but before, we could put 10 in dp and 10 in ds, which would give us somewhat an exponensial raise in DPS. This also results in the feeling of a new gear upgrade not feeling rewarding since you gain so small a dmg boost on dmg compared to more dp + hihger % roll on pasive that we all in all have stopped looking for the DP as main stat, but however the passives as main stats (this is where it gets more Diablo a like that DD1).

So what would i try to do to make everything feel more rewarding?

i think at the moments DP has too little to say, so how about we nerf the passives a bit, make EVERY trap scale 3 times as much on DP and then ofc Scale mob hp up aswell. This will make the 50 ipwr upgrade give you a much more satisfying change in your dmg, something you can look on and really see changing, also it will make sure that you don't need the 1000 hours grind just to go from Nightmare 2 to Nightmare3 go much smoother since the RNG will be limited a bit more. But what about the endgame? yea see, the endgame (this endgame meaning the hardest difficulty) is where this game becomes much more brutal on you, now you you NEED passives, and they are going to be so hard to get since there is a LOT of different passives in the game (not atm but hey, give it a year) so you need some god damn specifik RNG, this is somewhat where the game is right now, and only hardcore players are farming nightmare 4 (im still stuck on NM2) the last difficulty should be something that only people who are playing this game on a totally other level than the "casuals" can get, it requires a new way of thinking as of how EVERYTHING should be build, a mode so different that the casuals actually can leave out that part of the game AND still say "i almost completed Dungeon Defenders 2, i can't seem to get a hang on that last difficulty, but hey, that's not the type of gameplay i wanted to play anyway!"