Sign in to follow this  
Sir NoVa

The Next Patch DD Thread

@SharingToys quote:

@Caimen0 quote:

@SharingToys quote:

But then on the other hand, we could put maps into the campaign like emerald city, witch would require builder stats that extend to 6-7k

Emerald City in no way requires 6k. The map itself is honestly not that hard, with the possible exception of the last wave. Even then, a huntress with a good blaster/ecannon will rip the boss(es) to shreds pretty fast.

That was just an example. What im saying is that maybe we should add a difficulty, just like nightmare was added in after insane (Lets call it Hell-mode just for reference purposes). This may sound a little crazy, but this would require insane stats, and also be very hard but also very rewarding (Maybe a new quality of gear?). This is all still up in the air. My point is just adding more things to the game. At this point most of us are just trying to get a full set of ultimate/+/++. If we added an armor type like lets say, Platinum, then this was as rare of an item like u++ but on the new Hell-Mode difficulty, and u++ was less rare on Hell-Mode difficulty, this would create more things for players to achieve. Not necessarily we have to add a difficulty but maybe add a few more maps and make them extremely difficult. Yes, this would still lead us to the same point we are right now, except we would be striving to get platinum gear in stead of u++. This would also bring back that feeling that we got when nightmare came out and it was a big deal to even do it on deeper well. It would make the game challenging again, not just second nature.

Like Caimen0 said though -- after 5k stats, you're looking at severely diminishing returns (logarithmic). So there's no way of just adding a difficulty level unless you adjust the entire stat system currently in place.  

@Mashka quote:
@LiquidLuck quote:

All I want from the next patch is the ability to move/hide the portal in your tavern. I've got some pieces stuck under there -_-

Do you have emulator? Try to pick it up by alt character. Some guy with red hair told me this way.

@starfox64_0 quote:
@LiquidLuck quote:

All I want from the next patch is the ability to move/hide the portal in your tavern. I've got some pieces stuck under there -_-

Myself and I'm sure other controller players never mind hopping in to help out people with stuck items in their portals, I do it from time to time when people ask me.

Didn't know about that trick. Thank you :) I'll try it out.

A bit of a heads up:

We have more or less a green light to talk about what we're working on. However, just like any dev team, we simply want to be sure something is in a presentable state before we show it to you. That being said, you'll soon be hearing from us on  what we're working on.  in fact, I may just write something more specific about what's on my plate shortly.

P.S. I'm pleased to hear of interest in making some of our past community / event maps available. As a further side note, if any map makers would like to talk about having their work included in a future update, feel free to let us know and we can consider it. Or maybe you'd like  to contribute original content? it's called the community development team for a reason, and so if you think you have what it takes to add something to the team, don't hesitate to shoot me, acen (DDAce), or anyone else involved a line!

@Alhanalem quote:

in fact, I may just write something more specific about what's on my plate shortly.

Yes, this please. ^

I don't ask for much, just so we're up to date and what to expect. No idea why some haters have these mean comments.

@LiquidLuck quote:

@SharingToys quote:

@Caimen0 quote:

@SharingToys quote:

But then on the other hand, we could put maps into the campaign like emerald city, witch would require builder stats that extend to 6-7k

Emerald City in no way requires 6k. The map itself is honestly not that hard, with the possible exception of the last wave. Even then, a huntress with a good blaster/ecannon will rip the boss(es) to shreds pretty fast.

That was just an example. What im saying is that maybe we should add a difficulty, just like nightmare was added in after insane (Lets call it Hell-mode just for reference purposes). This may sound a little crazy, but this would require insane stats, and also be very hard but also very rewarding (Maybe a new quality of gear?). This is all still up in the air. My point is just adding more things to the game. At this point most of us are just trying to get a full set of ultimate/+/++. If we added an armor type like lets say, Platinum, then this was as rare of an item like u++ but on the new Hell-Mode difficulty, and u++ was less rare on Hell-Mode difficulty, this would create more things for players to achieve. Not necessarily we have to add a difficulty but maybe add a few more maps and make them extremely difficult. Yes, this would still lead us to the same point we are right now, except we would be striving to get platinum gear in stead of u++. This would also bring back that feeling that we got when nightmare came out and it was a big deal to even do it on deeper well. It would make the game challenging again, not just second nature.

Like Caimen0 said though -- after 5k stats, you're looking at severely diminishing returns (logarithmic). So there's no way of just adding a difficulty level unless you adjust the entire stat system currently in place.  

While the formulas are logarithmic, combining multiple sets of defenses has a pretty sharp multiplicative effect on how well your defenses perform.  I'd wager that somebody with 8k stats across their builders (not just 8k damage, I mean all tower stats at 8k) would perform significantly better than somebody at 5k.  I'm partially speaking out of my butt here, as I don't have hard metrics to bring to the table.  Still, I don't want us to be in a mindset where we think tower stats are done for, and won't ever increase.  There's more to gain!  Right?

@Vetokend quote:

While the formulas are logarithmic, combining multiple sets of defenses has a pretty sharp multiplicative effect on how well your defenses perform.  I'd wager that somebody with 8k stats across their builders (not just 8k damage, I mean all tower stats at 8k) would perform significantly better than somebody at 5k.  I'm partially speaking out of my butt here, as I don't have hard metrics to bring to the table.  Still, I don't want us to be in a mindset where we think tower stats are done for, and won't ever increase.  There's more to gain!  Right?

Basically the only way to make stats "progress" like this while presenting enemies that make this a requirement would be Palantir NMHCMM ogres with like 4x the damage so that it actually hurts the minions. But there comes a problem with that. When those ogres are that strong you're likely going to simply not be able to use low HP classes due to losing ludicrous amounts of HP per hit to ogre swings. This makes DPS/Utility summoners completely nonviable on the new maps, makes DPS Apprentice/Adept very unsafe to be on depending on the design the map, and Ninja monk nearly 100% to die in 2 hits if you venture away from a minion line. Not to mention the complete nonviability of Apprentice and Squire towers should that be implemented. Squires nowadays are used ONLY for harpoons, and that is because they are generally far enough away to not be hit. Ogre poisonballs of the strength required to challenge minions would decimate them very quickly. Same applies to an even greater extent to Apprentice towers. While both sets of towers won't be directly in the line of fire, tight DU restrictions might take away the ability to cover them with reflects, such as maps like Akatiti with 85 DU and KG with 115 DU. Larger maps with roughly the same amounts of DU might push Squire and Apprentice towers completely out of viability due to their high chance of not surviving waves and lack of DU efficiency.

I think a higher difficulty would be great, but not for all maps, but for the Original Campaign/ Challenges! I'd love to go back to the original maps again, and have it be tougher, scale it up to aka or higher difficulty. I want to be able to farm Ult Blasticus's and Animus's and all the good stuff that we all loved all those years ago.

@LiquidLuck quote:

@SupRfirebird quote:

I think a higher difficulty would be great, but not for all maps, but for the Original Campaign/ Challenges! I'd love to go back to the original maps again, and have it be tougher, scale it up to aka or higher difficulty. I want to be able to farm Ult Blasticus's and Animus's and all the good stuff that we all loved all those years ago.

Im still searching for a NM viable SF and Tsuda's

@Caimen0 quote:
Basically the only way to make stats "progress" like this while presenting enemies that make this a requirement would be Palantir NMHCMM ogres with like 4x the damage so that it actually hurts the minions. But there comes a problem with that. When those ogres are that strong you're likely going to simply not be able to use low HP classes due to losing ludicrous amounts of HP per hit to ogre swings. This makes DPS/Utility summoners completely nonviable on the new maps, makes DPS Apprentice/Adept very unsafe to be on depending on the design the map, and Ninja monk nearly 100% to die in 2 hits if you venture away from a minion line. Not to mention the complete nonviability of Apprentice and Squire towers should that be implemented. Squires nowadays are used ONLY for harpoons, and that is because they are generally far enough away to not be hit. Ogre poisonballs of the strength required to challenge minions would decimate them very quickly. Same applies to an even greater extent to Apprentice towers. While both sets of towers won't be directly in the line of fire, tight DU restrictions might take away the ability to cover them with reflects, such as maps like Akatiti with 85 DU and KG with 115 DU. Larger maps with roughly the same amounts of DU might push Squire and Apprentice towers completely out of viability due to their high chance of not surviving waves and lack of DU efficiency.

Agreed - imbalances that occur as you get into the high stat territory will only be amplified when we keep increasing the stats.  These are expected and solvable problems, though.  I mean, it's either that or we just stay at the same point in progression we've been at for years.  If that's what everybody wants, that's fine, but I'd rather see a bit of upward movement at some point.

I play this game for the RPG elements, personally.  Once progression stops, future involvement no longer carries the traits of a typical RPG.

Everybody gets their two cents, though.  I hope the CDT brings something that satisfies most of the loyal remaining members.

Imo the best way is like others have said to introduce a new difficulty level that impacts stat scaling or has a damage effect on towers and hero DPS different than Nightmare so that its easier to continue increasing stats or whatnot. That is assuming we find a different way to increase stats besides just adding ult+++ armor (which would be retarded to just add another rarer armor tier). *cough* Zamira variations *cough*

@Caimen0 quote:

Imo the best way is like others have said to introduce a new difficulty level that impacts stat scaling or has a damage effect on towers and hero DPS different than Nightmare so that its easier to continue increasing stats or whatnot. That is assuming we find a different way to increase stats besides just adding ult+++ armor (which would be retarded to just add another rarer armor tier). *cough* Zamira variations *cough*

Totally agree - a new difficulty would be an easy way to isolate the imbalances and fix them.  +2.

@ihaschezbrgr quote:

I haven't heard of 7-year-olds playing this game. The youngest is like 9 or 10 on console, but for pc version....how would a 7 year old even understand what he's looking at?

A few of my nephews have been playing before they were seven, one as early as four.

Hey everyone!

I am responsible for the artistic side of the CDT. I take the ideas we brainstorm and bring them to life in 3D form. Right now we are discussing just how much we want to reveal as spoilers and how much we want to surprise you guys with awesome new stuff. Since I'm super excited about this particular weapon, I will post this as a teaser of sorts:

r3QdRwA.png

As time goes on we will be using a combination of retexturing existing weapons, pets, and accessories as well as brand new stuff like this harpoon gun. I've never been a fan of reaching late-game and seeing everyone running around with obsidian weapons and classics, so we are hoping to introduce a lot more weapon variety as time goes on without completely invalidating the existing weapons being farmed.

Since we are a community development team, I fully intend to involve you guys on the curation process of what new weapons, pets and accessories we introduce. Keep an eye out in the Community Development subforum for opportunities to help!

@gigazelle quote:

Hey everyone!

I am responsible for the artistic side of the CDT. I take the ideas we brainstorm and bring them to life in 3D form. Right now we are discussing just how much we want to reveal as spoilers and how much we want to surprise you guys with awesome new stuff. Since I'm super excited about this particular weapon, I will post this as a teaser of sorts:

r3QdRwA.png

As time goes on we will be using a combination of retexturing existing weapons, pets, and accessories as well as brand new stuff like this harpoon gun. I've never been a fan of reaching late-game and seeing everyone running around with obsidian weapons and classics, so we are hoping to introduce a lot more weapon variety as time goes on without completely invalidating the existing weapons being farmed.

Since we are a community development team, I fully intend to involve you guys on the curation process of what new weapons, pets and accessories we introduce. Keep an eye out in the Community Development subforum for opportunities to help!

you do nice work, I cannot wait to shoot this gun:)  thx for keeping us in the loop.  Your stuff was very nice for dde as well.

Harpoons! \o/

Can't wait to see what else you guys have in store.

@gigazelle quote:

Hey everyone!

r3QdRwA.png

@Veetoo quote:

God that thing looks awesome. Part of a map? Looks very cool indeed ;) 

:O  Pay no attention to a possible new map shown in this picture.  That is a freakin awesome harpoon gun that you should be looking at.  

Also, Gigazelle has done some great work so far.  We are happy to have him on the team.  He has offered his talents to us so please bring your ideas to him when he asks.  :)

@Alhanalem quote:

Someone told me there was something special about this screenshot, but I couldn't see anything unusual. Could you?

D1338612468C0A036BDC53DD7444ACB188FCE963

You didn't get the treasure chest. clearly 100% wrong.

@laronel.thone quote:

@Alhanalem quote:

Someone told me there was something special about this screenshot, but I couldn't see anything unusual. Could you?

D1338612468C0A036BDC53DD7444ACB188FCE963

What's with the mickey mouse gloves over by where the forge comes up?

This ^ are we getting Mickey mouse as a new hero?