When to start fusing items?

So I'm starting to play through End Game Insane mode.  I know next to nothing concerning item fusing. I tried it a little before the wipe and it made no darn sense to me.  At what point in the game does item fusing become important?  As of now, I just play the next level and pickup up better items so I don't see the real value in fusing items yet if a couple of levels later I can just pickup better stuff.

Is there a guide online that explains the fusing process? Does using legendary gear to fuse have better results than plain gear?  Should they be the same type of gear?  

Thx

I just want to say that I really like your user name.

Regarding fusing ... don't bother past the first round (5 slots on the wheel) because the gold cost just gets out of control very quickly. The benefit is definitely not worth the cost after 1 round. Just farm for better loot until Trendy decides to make changes to the loot upgrade function.

Also, when you do fuse ... the better gear you use, the better the results generally speaking.

@EL_Pistoffo quote:

Thx for the info Val.  I didn't see much value in the fusion system myself.

The fusion system gives your gear a slight boost stat wise. I wouldn't start fusing till at least around 250+ ipwr

You should start than with Fusion - than when you dont change anymore so often your Gear.

In case - not when you wearing Green just because it was the best what droped on nm2.. (stats..) 

so kinda like when you have Gold or Purple

I've got a whole bag filled with legendary gear that I was saving incase it whas worth using in fusions.  I figure at some point I'll give it a try.

I am into nm3, can farm most of liferoot (wave 5-6 get me every time ><), and until the end of gates, I have only just now started upgrading, prior to I was fine but nm3 has been a bit of a *** block for me thus far

Imo as it was said, just up one time. If u have some money and want an example, i upgraded all my gear 2 times, and won 100+ def power with nm4 items (from 3030 to 3150). Then i dropped better gear :D

Always Fuse them once...  even if you are only going to wear them for 1 or 2 matches.  It is like 100gp for 6 to 20 points per piece.