Sign in to follow this  
Peekaboss

Balancing the flaws, The Game as it stands, The Great wall of Text- TL:DR inc.

Let the top % of players determine balancing, not the mass

The community is the problem, and not the developers. While porting with bugs and issues is a huge problem, it can be forgiven given the speed at which the updates are progressing.
Pre serenity Nerf, there was countless threads from casuals asking for nerfs without looking at the core balancing issues of the game. While listening to the many instead of the few, may look good on paper. These balance changes can't be determined from the 'many' of the casual players, every single game that wants to have an endgame tier, the balances has to come from the 'pro or hardcore players' and not 'casual players', as they will have better insight, and understanding of what needs balancing.
E.g. Before frost towers were introduced, the current metagame in high level nm4 used a serenity in each lane along with hero damage. Serenities were considered over powered, yet casual players who hadn't reached that tier of difficulty would never build them and continue to complain on the forums about how under powered they are. We see this pattern repeat from the dawn of time to the current metagame. 
I personally suggest a private server, where you can allow limited access to a selection of the higher end respected players before announcing changes. (or expand your current testing system)

TL:DR -  Casual players shouldn't determine balancing, it has to come from the top.

Nightmare Balancing

First off, I'm very happy in response to the nightmare difficulty balance changes, the progression needs speeding up and the developers addressing the issue. 
Allowing players to play a map with the same required ipwr that corresponds to the map is a step in the right direction. 
I personally believe nightmare 1-4 should not be the endgame content, instead this is the place to gear for Incursions and onslaught that will reap the highest rewards that is the endgame content.

TL:DR - Good start, make incursions and onslaughts harder and reap better rewards, make nm4 basic easier.

Hero damage

Hero damage in the current meta of nm4 is currently doesn't exist, With the Damage, and range of an Ogre buttstomp a player is forced into a position where the only role they have is to stand way far back and repair. 
The current main issue with hero damage is that resists are no longer viable. It's not the fact that hero damage is low in comparison to the monster health (although this needs reworking and a buff). You have to survive long enough to draw aggro and out-put damage, even if this damage is minimum in comparison.
In the current state of the game, a split resist squire with nm4 gear (1/2 phys, 1/2 mage resist) In legendaries and myths, standing in 4 serenities, will be 1 hit by an ogre butt stomp, and Take 9k damage while blocking. if there is a few mobs standing behind this ogre, you will be 1 hit. This is not viable.

Make every hero viable to a role, and don't buff the strongest to become a jack of all trades. 
Stickynade buff, and sword beam buff was great, however currently there is absolutely zero use in using any other hero apart from the Huntress to output dps. 

Apprentice -  Should be the king of physical lanes, have the highest damage output on a physical lane while also being the squishiest of the heros. Grounded should make things difficult but not impossible.

Monk - Should be the king of magic resist lanes, Having great attack speed and aoe cleave. This should be where a monk shines. Monk ability powers have minimal damage in comparison towards the other hero counter parts, and should be used for the utility to buff your physical damage, and minor crowd control. 

Squire - King of boss hunting, and tanking. It is in the squires job description to face the meanest and biggest of ogres head to head. With an AP/HD build, a squire has mediocre damage between magic and physical damage, this would be able to go into any lane to chase that boss around.

Huntress - Jack of all trades, master of none, Queen of anti air. The huntress is currently the strongest hero regarding damage potential, She out classes monks physically, Apprentice in magic damage, and has both Magic and Physical options. The huntress should be versitile, and be able to fullfill any role, however shouldn't output the most damage in every category. 

While each hero shines in a single lane, they should not be restricted soley to that lane, they should be flexible enough to rotate, even if the damage is minimal (Apprentice can tornado to help crowd control a magic resist lane, just loses the damage)
Having each hero be best at a specific role, will see players min maxing the hero to suit their playstyle, and not be locked into playing only the strongest overall. 
With balancing changes towards hero damage, and resists. We would see alot more diversity between the heros players bring into battle, We would often at high level play, see one of each hero fulfilling their roles to the maximum potential and not everybody on huntress afk repairing.

TL:DR - Buff resists, Make every hero viable and suit a role.

Pets

The current pet affection, and pet food levels are at quite an extreme level. I am personally in favor with the affection levels, and believe they are balanced to an extent. Pet food however, needs serious re working. from player perspective, it seems you are trying to find a way to gold sink any excess gold players might acquire, and make them use it on pets. Once trading is introduced, this might be the correct approach, however in the early stages of development, This option is really not as viable. The speed at which a pet gains affection, and the pets requiring a significant amount of pet food that needs alot of correction. It should be more balanced, it doesn't have to be perfectly close, with room for some form of gold dump, however it does need changes. A pet starting at 25/25 will reach 28/45 in the same speed.
My personal suggestion, is have an option regarding cannibalization of pets, or a trade system where you can sell your pet for petfood. This system, would filter the over-flooding of pets while also allowing me to get my 25/45 pets up to speed. You could also implement changes on this system regarding re rolls, giving any pet that has eaten another pet (with an ability) the ability to switch between both abilities. This would give a partial gold sink, as players would have to continue to get a pet to 10/10 in order to give their favorite pet another ability, or players could choose to just dump the 1/1 pet for pet food.

TL:DR - Pet food needs buffs, a pet cannibalization suggestion.

Hero deck

Every thread posts about the hero deck, its current position. And i am curious to see what the plans are in the future. I am personally in favor with the hero deck, however limit it to the difficulty and/or the level and/or the number of players in the game. While i personally am usually the solo builder, unless i am stacking with a few of the other higher tier players, i am rarely able to run my hero dps. 5 should be minimum (this would allow me to bring all builders, including harpoons and walls) if i am willing to sacrifice my hero dps, or bringing 4 builders and 1 dps. 
Extra slots will help manage this.

TL:DR - The same thing everyone else says, Needs a re work.

The Meta Game
The current meta game, is constantly changing and gets void from week to week, however these are few of the many consistent needs and changes to the game.
I personally believe, that the Sweet spot of the game, Is being in a position where you use your heros to help support your defences and help fight off mobs. Not solo clearing lanes/maps with your heros, and not alt tabbing on youtube with the game in the background. We were able to achieve this sweat spot pre frosts, and Post frosts on wave 60+ of NM4 onslaught.
While others may have different opinions on where the metagame stands, the core builds, play styles and fundamentals will always trickle itself down from the top. Balance from the top, you balance the game.
I personally will be releasing build guides, youtube commentaries and have big plans to bring out alot of content for DD2, for the endgame players and the beginners alike, This is just not possible with the dramatic changes to the metagame at the moment, and i will have to be patient while things get balanced. 

TL:DR - Volatile metagame, be patient

The Game, as it stands

As the game stands, i wouldn't currently recommend it to any of my friends, which is a shame because i am very excited about the future of the game, and have alot of plans for the community and to share my experience with the game. 
The game is losing more and more of the hardcore community per update, and with the dramatic balance changes per patch and the confusing vision of the game, i'm not sure how long players can keep up with the current game. I am personally losing alot of friends who i have grinded hours upon hours with, that refuse to play the game at its current state.
I am currently doing my dailies as more like weeklies, while numbers of my friends get 9+ a day. While they get to play with their shiny new toys, and i get to grind wyvern tokens in onslaught? the excitement diminishes 

After wipeaggedon, many players including myself, had farmed themselves to perfect sets (100's of hours spent grinding in order to achieve this feat). This was then wiped, with good reason, we prepared for the wipe and copped it on our chins. We then grinded a full day, Which was then wiped again. setting us even further behind than we started. 
That is a significant amount of 'wasted' time, While some of the grind may be fun, alot of it can get very very long and tedius, and the only satisfaction is completing that set and heading off to social to show off your new shoes. I would personally go days without seeing an upgrade, dps or towers combined. 
Having to be in a position where i need to do this process, 2-3-4-5? times as i progress through the nightmare stages is just not viable, With the current bugs, the current goal and the direction the game is heading, i personally don't see this game making it, unless trendy starts to value the players commitments to the game, and gets a very clear vision on the direction of the game. 

TL:DR - Need a clear cut vision of where the game will be in 6 months or you will update it into the ground.

Too long : massive wall of text: Didn't read.
- Then don't post, 
Constructive additions, criticism, thoughts welcome. 

Cheers

I wrote a long reply to your thoughts on heroes (edit: hero damage), but the forum ate it. I disagree with you that it's in a bad place. It helps a lot in nm1 and becomes mandatory in nm2. Moreover, the classes are already fairly distinct and do not need to be brought further apart. The only exception is the monk, which becomes almost useless in nm3/nm4 for damage. Its only great benefit is being able to pop frozen enemies quickly. Apps are superior in dealing damage to a phys res lane (maybe you just didn't meet a good app), and huntresses are great roamers, able to dish it in both phys and magic res lanes.

As for your issues tanking ogres, I think this is an issue of player skill. You should be able to dodge any ogre jump, you should be able to dodge most ogre attacks, and you should NOT build your tank as split phys/mag resist. There is unfortunately no room for a pure tank class (able to soak boss damage infinitely) in a tower defense / hero action hybrid game. At best you can hope to delay bosses, and the squire has amazing opportunity to do that. 

Also, even though the meta fluctuates a lot, the current cheese heavily depends on hero damage. 

I would also like to say that I completely agree with you on building an "endgame". The normal maps are boring as ***, the true endgame (and the best rewards) should absolutely be in incursion and onslaught. Incursion maps offer unique challenges which goes PERFECT with this new system of 5 daily bonus chests. Onslaught needs to become more varied, more random, and scale in difficulty and rewards much faster, but I definitely think that it provides the opportunity of true challenge by having an endless game with increasing difficulty. But much like Diablo 3, the devs need to think of a way that they can allow us to skip difficulty rounds which we have already soundly beaten and outgeared (for example - if I make it to onslaught 15 I should be able to start on onslaught ~10 immediately).

(Also, in general, devs>hardcore>casuals  when it comes to designing games. But I would perhaps agree with you and say that it has become apparent that the developers are not playing the most difficult game. They could benefit from hardcore feedback, but devs should be leading, not the other way around.)

@Heavenfall111 quote:

But much like Diablo 3, the devs need to think of a way that they can allow us to skip difficulty rounds which we have already soundly beaten and outgeared (for example - if I make it to onslaught 15 I should be able to start on onslaught ~10 immediately).

This x1000! 

@Heavenfall111 quote:

I wrote a long reply to your thoughts on heroes, but the forum ate it. I disagree with you that it's in a bad place. It helps a lot in nm1 and becomes mandatory in nm2. Moreover, the classes are already fairly distinct and do not need to be brought further apart. The only exception is the monk, which becomes almost useless in nm3/nm4 for damage. Its only great benefit is being able to pop frozen enemies quickly. Apps are superior in dealing damage to a phys res lane (maybe you just didn't meet a good app), and huntresses are great roamers, able to dish it in both phys and magic res lanes.

As for your issues tanking ogres, I think this is an issue of player skill. You should be able to dodge any ogre jump, you should be able to dodge most ogre attacks, and you should NOT build your tank as split phys/mag resist. There is unfortunately no room for a pure tank class (able to soak boss damage infinitely) in a tower defense / hero action hybrid game. At best you can hope to delay bosses, and the squire has amazing opportunity to do that. 

(for example - if I make it to onslaught 15 I should be able to start on onslaught ~10 immediately).

(Also, in general, devs>hardcore>casuals)

Thankyou for the reply, My suggestion on heros, was just shedding my insight and my thoughts on the current balancing from a nm4 perspective, not from a nm1 perspective.
I personally favor the apprentice as my favourite AP, although i do find him underpowered in comparison to the Huntress, and during extremely late onslaught runs (68 nimbus reach), App falls off completely. 
Pre buff to sticky nades, and nerf to Piercing shot. There was no legitmate way to run app, that at that level. 
Now we have a magical damage nerf to piercing shot, a buff to the magical damage of oil. Sticky nades currently do 250k damage, in comparison to the App uber which does 85k approx. That is a huge differential in power levels.

While Tanking ogres, you should never get hit by a clap, that is correct. i was pointing out the fact that if an ogre is at your cades, you cannot possibly approach it, and if you get hit you will die. A squire should be in a position where he can take a few hits before retreating. 
in an open lane, i could direct an ogre with any class to any position, however unless you tank an ogre to the end, this is nolonger viable when you have lanes of creeps in the way and not enough resists to tank them.
I'm assuming you would have to run physical resist to tank, it was just an example of how minimal resists are currently.

Ofcourse, however atm the devs make a mistake, the casuals point out the mistake and it gets balanced for the casuals. 

Yeah Peekaboss...

my man great work! I can sign nearly everything you have written above. There are really too many construction yards at the moment in the game.

1. Hero DPS should really become some major love as you wrote and we can only hope that as the devs already announced to bring more weapons and focusing on weapons that it comes sooner than later!

2.Hero deck need a slot for extra DPS and maybe 6 slots like in the influence vote... and the Premier of the New herodeck.                                           

3. Balance of nm4 and the incursions is somehow missbalanced. Why van i Beat sometimes in nm4 Waves 1-3 and never get past wave 1 in nm3 Inc?
For my understanding it should be nm3, nm3 Inc and after that nm4 in difficulty or Not?
Because the ipwrscaling is like that  an the Progression in gearing up should bei live that to!

4. The passives Should Work properly boost empowerment and serenty doesn't working AT all... phönixcall seems a Bit underpowered in endgame....

AFTER fixing all the issues above it is time for a final balancing of nm and inc when the devs can really take the Data of the System that is working properly with all its components!

Developers should know the best way to deal with feedback for their own product and not put the faith of their own future in the hands of randoms. They use more of a lean development approach which is a double edged sword if you have not defined your core audience (which I expected to be DD1 fans). And I agree with you, they should not listen to the masses all the time, but don't blame people for sharing their opinions. Other then that, nice post. 

@Peekaboss quote:

The community is the problem, and not the developers.

The Problem mainly is that only a few players really try to understand the ganemechanics and even the devs sonetimes seem to Focus on their special task and Not the whole game that often missing links appear. ..

@NewFolder quote:

Developers should know the best way to deal with feedback for their own product and not put the faith of their own future in the hands of randoms. They use more of a lean development approach which is a double edged sword if you have not defined your core audience (which I expected to be DD1 fans). And I agree with you, they should not listen to the masses all the time, but don't blame people for sharing their opinions. Other then that, nice post. 

@Peekaboss quote:

The community is the problem, and not the developers.

@Peekaboss quote:
(snip) [WALL OF TEXT] (snip)

Cheers

'Ey! Imma casual but I want to contribute too~. [[6428,hashtags]]
(also, at least for now, hardcore vs. casual isn't about proficiency, but about free time and exploits. I don't see how making the game less grindy would make for a bad design choice; the "endgame" is gated enough already.)

I agree with your opinion on hero damage, but your suggested roles don't... quite match the game's predecessor (DD1 had quite well defined roles for each hero and DD2 follows on it's footsteps... most of the nuances between heroes won't be felt until multiple projectiles and different attack mechanics are introduced, tho.)

The Hero Deck is interesting but a mess, we all agree on that.

The "Meta changes" came from the introduction of new tolls, just that. Totally volatile. Once upon a time it was the nonstop geiser + lightning trap combo, the last crazy one was the bugged "Freeze Frame!" Serenity... kinda hard to not complain but let's wait and see indeed.

The game right now is a torture device for masochist souls that want to pay for their suffering... ...But we love it all the same. <3 Maybe it's the round pets. ... nah. Let's wait and see ™.

Walls of text are the best. Keep 'em coming~

@Jeshua quote:
'Ey! Imma casual but I want to contribute too~. [[6428,hashtags]]

I agree with your opinion on hero damage, but your suggested roles don't... quite match the game's predecessor (DD1 had quite well defined roles for each hero and DD2 follows on it's footsteps... most of the nuances between heroes won't be felt until multiple projectiles and different attack mechanics are introduced, tho.)

The "Meta changes" came from the introduction of new tolls, just that. Totally volatile. Once upon a time it was the nonstop geiser + lightning trap combo, the last crazy one was the bugged "Freeze Frame!" Serenity... kinda hard to not complain but let's wait and see indeed.

The game right now is a torture device for masochist souls that want to pay for their suffering... ...But we love it all the same. <3 Maybe it's the round pets. ... nah. Let's wait and see ™.

Walls of text are the best. Keep 'em coming~

My Hero Damage suggestion, was filling the gaps between heros and making each hero have a purpose.
While its true it isn't following DD1, the whole DD2 is on a different path, having each hero have build pieces to an overall monster build, This was unheard of in DD1. Consider the APP in DD1, in the ultra lategame he was considered worthless. Huntress, monk and barbarian dominated hero damage, and Squire, Monk, EV, summoner would build everything. 
My whole point was that DD2 is taking a different direction, attempting to make each hero viable situationally, and i think adding emphasis on my hero suggestion, was the path they were already taking, just expanded a little bit. 
Having resistances in lanes stops people from playing the 'lawn mower hero' and have to think about where they are positioned, this mechanic alone separates DD1 completely from DD2.  Without resistances, there would still be only huntress Dps, and with resistances, huntress still dominates. This needs changes, if the game is going to continue the theme of making each hero relevant, i shared insight on a way i personally believe could be good mechanics. 

It is true we will see alot more changes through multiple projectiles etc, maybe monk and app will get alot of love, however Resistances need tweaking, the ubers and Monks HD scaling, while the APPs Ability power scaling. 

If i game has specific builds, the dev's will always have control over the metagame. Although they have shared the vision of having multiple builds work for each map. We will just have to wait and see the balancing.
I'm personally waiting for it to become stable, so i can start releasing build guides, that will help out the community alot as there is currently no content for endgame, and early game players alike.

Theres a love hate relationship, we're all trapped.

Cheers bro, :D

@Peekaboss quote:

Nightmare Balancing

I personally believe nightmare 1-4 should not be the endgame content, instead this is the place to gear for Incursions and onslaught that will reap the highest rewards that is the endgame content.

+1 I kind of think the developers went over there heads by implementing nm1-4 it's to much for them to balance with the other 12 difficultys they have. It also bottlenecks them in when they add new content/maps/levels. the only semi polished part of the game feels like campaign to me atm.

You are right about a clear cut vision I have no idea what gonna happen next, items so far arnt exciting, passives are locking us into gimmicky play styles and limiting option and variety when building maps almost to the point of ruining the core of the game.

Another thing im a little dissapointed in his how they actually balance the game and mobs, it seems its all copy paste add a % rather than actual testing, like when we seen all the towers get balanced on mana cost rather than effectiveness.

Great post :D 

Expanding on your suggestion of making normal play nightmare not the end game,  I have a couple suggestions of my own for consideration;

Nightmare having 4 difficulties seemed fine at first... when you didn't need class specific set bonuses, with specific types of stats.  It takes so long to get a set or 2 of gear with the right stats to make builds work, and then to progress you're basically throwing away 95% of the loot you get because you need these exact items again with higher IPWR to replace your old ones to continue to make your builds work.  This should be the rate of finding upgrades in endgame.  Consider in Diablo 3 torment grinds,  if you had to keep replacing your great finds just because in the next torment it comes with higher stats.  Took forever to find that perfect necklace that rolled the right stats, now I need to find it again to complete torment 2, and again, and again all the way up until 10.  I think if Trendy is going to keep going down the road of gear with passives that they have started to do (which they mentioned they plan to continue this), I don't see myself playing this game in the long haul in its current state.  Lets say way down the road, months after release, new content comes out, and the Item Power threshold is raised, or even worse Nightmare 5 comes out, you find yourself in the same situation, and its a boring grind - to me personally.  

Suggestive fixes for this is dumping nightmare difficulties all together, except just vanilla nightmare.   Dump end game, and add nightmare difficulty to Freeplay.  Incursion, Onslaught, and whatever else future modes may come out can be their own things and unlocked say at level 30 as normal difficulty, 40 for hard, and 50 for nightmare difficulties.   The IPWR scale on NM could go up some between maps, but there has to be 3 or more options per special mode of end game play that all offer the highest IPWR in gear, as not to have a dull end game spamming one map/mode over and over. 

Another way of dealing with this could be simply to keep the NM difficulties, and just treat it more like a D3 loot style system where you can get the best in slot or perfect piece of loot in Nm1, but the chances to find these items increase in difficulty. 

All in all, as cool as the passives on gear sounded, it overall has added to much of a grind to find exact pieces of gear NEEDED to conquer nightmare difficulties, and without the option of dumping some kind of points or gold or something into an item for a chance to reroll its stats or passives, the high hopes I had for this game since the announce of its release have dwindled down considerably for me.

I would just like to react to this by saying that every feedback is important. Even the casual one. I saw many games going down due to their choice to ignore casual players feedback (Heroes of Newerth comes to mind). Where the community shrank to nothing because new player experience is not good.

If a lot of players think something is unfair or "op", because they can't see the weakness of it, there's a problem. Maybe the feedback showing the weakness is not important enough. Maybe the feel isn't right. (which also needs change)

As it stands now, I have several issues with the game, but he does mostly well. (level design is great for example, towers are interesting, and there's a lot of stuff going on)

-----------

At its core mechanics, I think the "hero dps" is flawed (like not important enough) when geared towards it.

The resistance of main hero targets is a pain (burrowers, and healers mainly) because they soak out too much damage from your hero. 

If it's a core "support" target (healer, summoner, buffer), it should be killable mostly by heroes and less by towers. It represents my opinion of course, but gives something to do for the hero during waves others than repairing stuff and using skills at important times.

The leveling part is really really boring. It concernes me a lot because a lot of players will quit after completing the story.

Having to unlock towers and skills means you can't have any choice during building in the firsts levels which makes the game not interesting at all. (not a good new player experience, even if it's in order teach)

The leveling 30+ is mostly onslaught hard, which is slow, not really interesting after a few maps, doesn't bring anything new to the table. (no new skills, towers swapping or specialization besides orbs).

Listening only to the top % of the players is often a bad idea. Most of the players that play games are casual since most people have school, college, job, family, kids etc. 

When it comes to balance between the 4 classes or between all the passives listening to top players is fine. When it comes to other development decisions listening only to top hardcore players can deter most of the player base from the game.

A game that listened to top % of hardcore players was Wildstar and that game was ghost town very quick since everything was too much of a grind and even doing simple things like a dungeon daily or some daily quests required you to pay attention or you get destroyed rather than being able to relax after a long day at work.  

For example one thing that can deter new players is how long  leveling secondary characters  takes right now. first one is fine but most of my friends quit before even getting 4 50s.  The grind to 4 50s is also extremely boring since you are doing easy maps for exp. 

@Peekaboss quote:

I agree with this to an extent.  There should be content that's challenging to even the best of players, and casuals are not entitled to beat all content in the game.  However, the balancing should come from actual skill, not from thousands of hours of grinding items.  It's all too easy to nerf droprates to oblivion and then say that the game caters for hardcore players.

@Rogastik quote:

Listening only to the top % of the players is often a bad idea. Most of the players that play games are casual since most people have school, college, job, family, kids etc. 

A game that listened to top % of hardcore players was Wildstar and that game was ghost town very quick since everything was too much of a grind and even doing simple things like a dungeon daily or some daily quests required you to pay attention or you get destroyed rather than being able to relax after a long day at work.  

@Froh quote:

I would just like to react to this by saying that every feedback is important. Even the casual one. I saw many games going down due to their choice to ignore casual players feedback (Heroes of Newerth comes to mind). Where the community shrank to nothing because new player experience is not good.

If a lot of players think something is unfair or "op", because they can't see the weakness of it, there's a problem. Maybe the feedback showing the weakness is not important enough. Maybe the feel isn't right. (which also needs change)

While yes, every piece of feed back is important, new player experience especially. I was referring to balancing, and not game changing updates. While casuals might be able to copy a hardcore players build, they won't understand why it works the way it does. It might seem over powered for them because they don't understand the synergy. A slight tweak to a tower can change the entire metagame, It is best that these changes come from the players who understand the game on a deeper level, instead of catering it towards the lower level players.

I'm very surprised you chose to address hero damage but not tower balance considering this is a tower defense game at its core. The game as it stands has so many useless ubers for towers (which make 0 sense consider that the word uber is supposed to mean "supreme" ) Some wonky design decisions (adding frosty power, scaling harpoon towers with tower health) hasn't helped the balance at all. I loved playing squire builder in DD1 but now it seems squires are only good for tanking/blockades. As someone who primarily plays builders because I enjoy them, I hate being pigeon holed into playing a class a certain way because their other alternatives aren't very viable.

Great feedback, [[93260,users]]! And I'm loving the counterarguments seen in the comments. This is how a feedback thread should go.

You bring up a great point about the meta/endgame and the passive grind, which [[48971,users]] touched on in his blog (which, if people are curious about the vision of where we're taking endgame, give that a read):

The Tools are about providing you with a multitude of ways to customize and express your lineup of heroes. Getting the right passives, getting the right power on those passives, and combining them with other heroes… but most important of all, it should be about all of you banding together to theorycraft ideas and evolve the meta. Whenever you one-up our challenges, it will be down to us to come up with newer challenges (and tools to take those on).

That is the (hopefully) bright future we want to push towards with DD2. We have a ways to go. We are currently working on many more passives and skill spheres to add to the game. With this next patch we plan on adding at least one full set for each hero. We also have several feature proposals that will provide you with even more tools in the works. And finally, we need to fix a lot of the issues that are making the loot grind a bit too grindy… We know it is getting harder and harder to get the right passive with the right stats and we’re working on some systems to fix that.

Great read!

Pretty much everything said, I can agree with.

Peekaboss and I butt heads a bit, I even banned him from my stream, but when there is a bigger more threatening issue (the downfall of a great game), I have no problem standing beside his words and helping him.

Everything in the OP is spot on.

I agree with many of peekaboss ideas too!  

I've been farming NM3 for a while now and it's kinda sad on how Hero DPS is very unbalanced. Easy to clear on full uber DPS huntress and pulling teeth to try and finish it with DPS monk ... IMHO heroes should have their advantages and disadvantages like OP mentioned and still balanced enough to feel you're playing the game to have fun!

Cheers!

When this game goes Free to play - the most player are Casual Player. Casual Player has these days not alot time to Grind for stuff. So the Company from the Freetoplay Game - makes it for the Casual player which are more than 80% to have a nice Start. Because they are the ones who will Buy Ingame Currency and Finance this Game. 

This was with every MMORPG If WoW, WIldstar etc. And it will come To here. who ever.. So long you cant trade any gear nobody loose anything if the balancing is a little bit less to make it Atleast ALONE!

@Holowugz quote:

I'm very surprised you chose to address hero damage but not tower balance considering this is a tower defense game at its core. The game as it stands has so many useless ubers for towers (which make 0 sense consider that the word uber is supposed to mean "supreme" ) Some wonky design decisions (adding frosty power, scaling harpoon towers with tower health) hasn't helped the balance at all. I loved playing squire builder in DD1 but now it seems squires are only good for tanking/blockades. As someone who primarily plays builders because I enjoy them, I hate being pigeon holed into playing a class a certain way because their other alternatives aren't very viable.

In regards to addressing tower balance, the meta-game is far to volatile, and the developers are well aware of what towers are being used and aren't being used. Tower balance will be a subject for a later date, after the initial builds are put in place. 

@iamisom quote:

Great feedback, peekaboss! And I'm loving the counterarguments seen in the comments. This is how a feedback thread should go.

You bring up a great point about the meta/endgame and the passive grind, which Blacksmith touched on in his blog (which, if people are curious about the vision of where we're taking endgame, give that a read):

The Tools are about providing you with a multitude of ways to customize and express your lineup of heroes. Getting the right passives, getting the right power on those passives, and combining them with other heroes… but most important of all, it should be about all of you banding together to theorycraft ideas and evolve the meta. Whenever you one-up our challenges, it will be down to us to come up with newer challenges (and tools to take those on).

That is the (hopefully) bright future we want to push towards with DD2. We have a ways to go. We are currently working on many more passives and skill spheres to add to the game. With this next patch we plan on adding at least one full set for each hero. We also have several feature proposals that will provide you with even more tools in the works. And finally, we need to fix a lot of the issues that are making the loot grind a bit too grindy… We know it is getting harder and harder to get the right passive with the right stats and we’re working on some systems to fix that.

Thankyou very much mate, Anything i can do to help the longevity of the game.
While i had read over what blacksmith had wrote, regarding the future of DD2. For the players being left in the dark, it feels although the development team think of an idea and implement it as opposed to running on a structure. 'In 6 months time, we as a development team, would like to have X maps, X bosses for endgame play in preparation for a trade system and high scores system'. It's all great keeping stuff surprises, and it gives the development team abit of breathing room. However we as players, need some reassurance that you have a plan in place for the longevity of the game.

@vSyNd quote:

Great read!

Pretty much everything said, I can agree with.

Peekaboss and I butt heads a bit, I even banned him from my stream, but when there is a bigger more threatening issue (the downfall of a great game), I have no problem standing beside his words and helping him.

Everything in the OP is spot on.

Aw shucks, Synderella <3 you always know how to make me smile :D
But legit, can't wait for a highscore system so we can continue our banter and rivalry to the top :P