Fixing Onslaught... is something wrong?

So, my impressions of onslaught is not that healthy to say the least.  The rewards you get at the end of each set of 3 waves are often irrelevant and a lot less useful than one would have expected going into the influence vote.... What's the point of locking in a single item if I'm not really going to have a good chance of it being what I want?

Is onslaught not supposed to be for farming items?  If it is, why do I find it a huge slow waste of time to farm items?  Should we not have more of:
1) Reward items at each round should feel more and more like upgrades as you go along.

2) Regular loot dropped from onslaught should improve with levels at a better rate than it currently does.

3) >3 hours to get to round15?  I frown upon that!  Shorten this beast up PERIOD!

Right now, the tiny "incremental" 20-30 iPWR boost of maps is very very hard to get improvements from as it's usually less than 20-40 points total stat upgrades (combined) after a long run.  The lack of much for passives that are useful for improving your dmg are few and far between.

As an alternative to making it shorter, they could add some kind of checkpoint functionality.  When you've beaten round X, you can start new games on that map, mode and difficulty from up to round X-2.  Starting mana would be increased according to the number of waves skipped.

thats just like dd1, but they just dont want to "bring" so much dd1 here.

there you could just start surv at wave 13 for a pet on wave 15 or max 27 or 28.. for maps with 35 waves.

@tdb quote:

As an alternative to making it shorter, they could add some kind of checkpoint functionality.  When you've beaten round X, you can start new games on that map, mode and difficulty from up to round X-2.  Starting mana would be increased according to the number of waves skipped.

@draemn quote:

So, my impressions of onslaught is not that healthy to say the least.  The rewards you get at the end of each set of 3 waves are often irrelevant and a lot less useful than one would have expected going into the influence vote.... What's the point of locking in a single item if I'm not really going to have a good chance of it being what I want?

Is onslaught not supposed to be for farming items?  If it is, why do I find it a huge slow waste of time to farm items?  Should we not have more of:
1) Reward items at each round should feel more and more like upgrades as you go along.

2) Regular loot dropped from onslaught should improve with levels at a better rate than it currently does.

3) >3 hours to get to round15?  I frown upon that!  Shorten this beast up PERIOD!

Last I remember Onslaught was stated to not be the primary way to obtain loot but a way to specifically choose what loot type you are aiming for at the cost of less overall loot to drop.

It's more of a challenge mode rather than get your gear here mode.

I agree with you and think it should be changed to reflect the time that is put into the mode and with a game type like this the best way to reward someone is by having them reach X round. 

Also having the  gear rewards scaling appropriately with the level of enemies that you are facing. It's disheartning to go through to wave 15+ and have the Ipwer level similar to when you started.

Hopefully in the future Onslaught will get a revision and maybe even have unique gear that is useful so it will encourage people to go into it.

@Argick quote:

Last I remember Onslaught was stated to not be the primary way to obtain loot but a way to specifically choose what loot type you are aiming for at the cost of less overall loot to drop.

Unfortunately it doesn't currently work that way since I still can't decide the loot we want with enough detail, so the reward effectively becomes just another drop.  I can't choose builder chest armor, I can just choose armor.  Weapons are the most restricted category, but there's still a large chance of it having bad stats.  I'm better off doing other modes which drop more loot per time spent, with each drop having an equal chance of being good as an onslaught reward item.

Currently the only use I see for onslaught is a challenge to see how far you can go.

We've mostly been playing onslaught for gear. Yes, less gear drops, and yes, all the other reasons not to play onslaught. But there is a huge plus side to playing onslaught - it is much easier to farm. In any other map, there is a severe difficulty curve while playing the actual map. First wave, 30 mobs. Fifth wave, 3 bosses, 500 mobs. In onslaught, the difficulty curve is much more forgiving and you'll have everything max upgraded before 3 bosses. Also, the bosses come in one lane making it much easier to deal with.

We've made it to round 16 in onslaught nm3, but if we try throne room or any of the third-step maps in nm3, we lose hard.

@tdb quote:

@Argick quote:

Unfortunately it doesn't currently work that way since I still can't decide the loot we want with enough detail, so the reward effectively becomes just another drop.  I can't choose builder chest armor, I can just choose armor.  Weapons are the most restricted category, but there's still a large chance of it having bad stats.  I'm better off doing other modes which drop more loot per time spent, with each drop having an equal chance of being good as an onslaught reward item.

Currently the only use I see for onslaught is a challenge to see how far you can go.

It works the way it was designed, it's just too broad and like you've said the gear potential right now is just like normal loot. It needs a revision and hopefully will get it eventually but it's still not the primary way to obtain gear... at least, it's not meant to be.