Sign in to follow this  
Meme Machine

Curious to how many players have stopped playing and are just waiting for some sort of hotfix?

I stopped for the time being; grabbed my popcorn to lurk around the forums.

Pretty sure that tuesday's hotfix won't be enough to make the game playable beyond Insane, and then there's the Gold issue, the TIB / Scavenger, plus older problems... Gonna sit around and wait, the month is long enough to grab that dangling carrot sword if nostalgia makes me feel like it.

I would love to not shelf this game, but its getting worse. Just now trying the hotfix and found out that they "fixed" the stats only in the items description, but not on the actual towers.

Recent issues:

• I dont think Trendy realizes how bad it is when the tower <-> item stats are consistently not matching or not working as intended.
  • They also seem to be getting ideas from a f2p marketing person who never played the game

Suggestions:

• Remove scavenger
  • Improve bag UI. This can be easily achieved by filters/sort options. Im not sure why this isnt discussed more often. If they add filters it would be so much easier.
  • Spend at least a minute testing towers ingame when adding new passives or testing existing passives. It took me under 5 seconds (once in tavern) to check that the harpoon is firing at 4.98, while after hotfix the item state 2.66 attack speed reduction.
  • Avoid making the game tedious to improve f2p income. In the long run the customer base will be a fraction of what it would be otherwise. Getting 20% more money with only 80% of the potential customer base does not pay. However realistically it would be more like 5% of 10% if the scavenger is an indicator of things to come.

I've been more active in forums lately than in game.  As far as the difficulty is concerned, it shouldn't matter if your playing in easy mode or NM4 or anything in between.  What matters is you play a difficulty that is suitably challenging, but also suitably rewarding.  The rewards of the mode need to help prepare you for the next mode within a reasonable time frame, otherwise it feels like we're spinning our wheels.  If the jump from one difficulty to the next is so great you feel you need a "ringer" to carry you through it, even after grinding the previous difficulty, then obviously the balance is off.

Difficulty is not the problem with this patch, the new difficulties are winnable.

Trendy added a massive amount of tedium by boosting the crap out of monster HP and by forcing you to pick up 100% of items unless you want to be punished.

Once I tested that the scavenger does not auto-collect loot on the ground, I closed the game and I was done.  I might just uninstall it until release depending on what I see in the next few patch notes.

I don't get all the nerd rage histrionics complaining.  I play a couple hours a day, so I guess I'm a casual player.   Maybe if I was truly serious I would feel "Slapped in the face", "like Trendy hates me", or "Why am I so lonely".  I may have made that last one up ;-)

After the re-roll I jumped back into NM1.  I lost a bunch of games until I beat some ogres and specials.  Now NM1 isn't that hard.  I've been soloing it, so I avoid Betsy,  Once my friends get back from the holiday weekend, I'll play some rounds with them. 

I've had to completely reshuffle my builds to get lanes under control.  I like the Fire trap stats and have started using them again. (Super Effective)  I use my monk much less now too.  The game actually seems more balanced;  I have to use all the builders and can vary my builds.   

The drops have been pretty solid too.  I find something good every round it seems. 

Seems like when the game is too easy people complain they are bored.  When they ramp up the difficulty, there is complaining that people can't progress immediately to level 4 NM.   Maybe the idea is that it will take a few weeks to complete all the levels.  I like the replay-ability.

I don't like the scavenger, but I'm sure I will survive the change.

@Seph quote:

I am defending the game that i like and approaching things from a positive perspective, rather than negative.

I welcomed you to the forum seeing as this was your first post, but judging from 100% of your posts so far, i can tell you will be one blind, dumb, and unpleasant person overall to discuss things with.

Really shouldn't name all and harass other players just because there opinion differs to yours, I like that you have your own opinion but to me it seems like you just disagree with everyone in subjects that need to be talked about especially with peekaboo who i know is a good player not really satisfied with your positive perspective.

- Games on hold for me. ill probably even skip the monthly. got top50 WD on Diablo3 SC thinking about going hardcore well my ranking drops. Trendy will do something interesting soon enough I might come back and jam out but Id rather see these passives as set bonus's with static workign stats than how they are. Games not my cup of tea atm but ill def keep an eye out.

Started at 240 ipwr with broken passives like every1 here. After some fails I'm at 280+ ipwr map atm. And I actually find it fun, progression is slow but it's ok, it's endgame after all , I dont want to be at NM4 in 3 days. At the same time I would love to see changes in Hero Deck, especially after "Alpha" patch. Game would be so much more interesting and fun if I could actually help my defenses and not just run around with a builder who is just a piece of meat during battle phase.

@Seph quote:

However, you can solo through NM1 content right now with gear, farmed in Insane maps

I believe we discussed the entrance difficulty to NM1 before the alpha patch, and after some suggestions I was able to break into NM1 finally. Literally the very next day, the patch hits and everything went to hell. Now i've buckled down in insane, got my gear all replaced, all my iPwr is 220+ on all 4 of my builds, as well as my friends, and I have to completely disagree that you can just breeze right through NM1 with gear from insane. 

The iPWR levels don't even make sense. Crossroads is 230 just like the first map on NM1, but the enemies in Crossroads have several times the health. Hell, even the first map is an absolute steamroll.

KFRDeyN.jpg

All my equipment is roughly around iPWR 240 as I had a stock of them before the patch anyway. Despite this, NM1 has consistently kicked my ass everytime, despite supposedly having the items I'd get from it. That and the one Onslaught I tried, I found out after the game ended that my inventory had been filled completely with white/really crap items that I had to spend ages sifting through to sell. Didn't even get much money from it because they were so worthless.

As it stands I'm just trying to get the Honedge, but even that's gonna require my time due to the pet level and Ogre requirements. Given I spent an hour doing an Insane map, only to DC on the last wave with 9 enemies to go (thanks always-online play), I'm not looking forward to continuing.

omg just tried the new patch its so bad i cant pl;ay it any more i uninstalled the game i hate this game now. you made it worse then it was. we want dd1 back i would rather play dd1 then this crap. not going to reinstall lost my support ty trendy for saveing my money you lost it

[[22963,users]] 
I never said it was a breeze =) 
Was playing the whole yesterday doing the same map, spent first few hours getting my behind handed to me every time, restarted the map and, well, i now can beat the map. It is not afk-able and i am glad about that.
But, here: amount of threat lanes depends on how many players are in your party. So naturally, solo will be the easiest, but you will have to run around, taking care of all the lanes, while giving most of your attention to the threat lane. You can't win by just using the same build that once worked every time. You have to adapt to what the map is offering: threat lane changing / special enemies / mini bosses spawning, basically. Beef up your defenses at the threat lane / special lane at the cost of weak lane defenses. Experiment.

I am currently using Huntress / Apprentice combo with, of course, waller squire. I do not need a tank atm to clear NM1 content. And i started at Insane farming for items =) It is doable, guys. And it is fun. 
The longest it took me to complete a map yesterday, was 2h-ish(!?), but i didn't notice the time go by. At all.
I took it super slow, but super steady and cleared the map, reaped the 3 ogre loot at the end of the map and got a lego chest (because of the daily bonus). 

NM1 is easy if you use Attrition and Frost towers and have at least a 230+ set.     My issue is there is no real gear progression.  1 to 2 hours per map and you get maybe 20 pieces of gear.  When you have so many craptastic rolls on gear that means you are unlikely to get an upgrade.

I spent 6 hours the other day farming 250-290 gear in NM1.  I ended up  with +10DP on 2 builders, and 2k on my waller.   This is following spending 3 hours the day before with similar results.  

This is why I am probably going to take a break until they address it.  The progression is not there.  Yes, the first time through the maps is fun.  But this means I need to grind the maps probably a few hundred more times to make it to NM2.    That might be fun to some people... but not to me.    Without either smart gear, rerolls on stats, or simply more gear the wall is too steep.

This is the same issue there was with Pre-Frost cheese.  It took me literally 200 hour of gameplay to grind from End Game to NM4.   (before insane, and almost exclusively solo).   I was happy for the accomplishment, but pretty burnt out on the game afterwards.

Now I am starting at another 200 hours of grinding the same maps... and it just doesn't seem fun.  Too much stick, not enough carrot (like I said before).

This leads to my biggest issue.   My friends....  No one I know would put up with this kind of grind at this point.    All my friends quit before at end game (pre Frost Cheese).     Folks that were on my friends list have quit playing since this patch.  Most of them might return if they fix things.  

Seph, you can keep saying the sun is shining and all is well...  but the average daily population in this game has plummeted.  It is not cause folks are spoiled.  It has more to do with the fact that there are a TON of really fun games out there.    If this game ceases to be fun then you will be playing by yourself as the rest of us will move on to games that don't punish us.

We all know we are play testers...  it is our job to play test, point out bugs and make suggestions.  Most of us appreciate the job Trendy has done, and we appreciate having a say in the direction of the game.  Those of us pointing out flaws are mostly doing so cause we want this game to be awesome, and because Trendy has asked us to do so. 

I log in to do my dailies and match pets for the monthly.

That's it. It's just not fun any more. Eagerly waiting for a fix though as the game is fun when they get it right.

Lots of good comments - I'm not playing anymore or when I do its levelling my App and an extra alt or two, that's it.

Attention isnt where it needs to be and I think thats about it.   No one asked for a homeless guy, inventory sorts and filters HAVE come up, and I think that along with just making sure you didn't destroy 240- loot was key (just like I said and someone said in this thread - log in and LOOK and you would have known).  I spent time prepping myself to keep up the good fight into Alpha - I'm left troubleshooting controller problems and my gear lost all its essential passives and the game cant count ogres (and even when it does looks like it's only for your hero kill strike).  80 solo kills where you hope your defense doesn't killsteal and pet time gates?  That's an engaging monthly!  OMG...

There's another thread that said it well, people have invested time and money and they would continue to, if Trendy was demonstrating they knew what they were doing.  The Alpha focus, bugs / neutering and subsequent hotfix focus doesnt really demonstrate that - it's a real step back and even a cool sword pet is having a struggle 'defending the exit'. 

Lies. I've done my ogres already and no, i did not go 1v1 with all of the ogres using my hero. 
Pet time gates? Nonsense. Month has 720 hours and you think that's not enough to hatch 15 eggs? \whisper: Psst! You need 120 hours to hatch 15 eggs! Did 16/75 affection levels, too. Could do affection fairly fast, if needed (take hatchlings and level them up). But i still got A LOT of time left for the monthly mission, so w/e.
It is your choice if you want to play this game or not - so suit yourself. There are plenty of people still playing the game though=) Don't sound like a big deal. 
Sure, Trendy is reading forums and working on better NM loot, easier transition from NM1 to NM2 and 3 and other stuff. Have patience, children. 

@MegaHamster7 quote:

I log in to do my dailies and match pets for the monthly.

That's it. It's just not fun any more. Eagerly waiting for a fix though as the game is fun when they get it right.

Same here, but today I did not get a new daily :(

@Seph quote:

FuNiOnZ 
Was playing the whole yesterday doing the same map, spent first few hours getting my behind handed to me every time, restarted the map and, well, i now can beat the map. It is not afk-able and i am glad about that.
But, here: amount of threat lanes depends on how many players are in your party. So naturally, solo will be the easiest, but you will have to run around, taking care of all the lanes, while giving most of your attention to the threat lane. You can't win by just using the same build that once worked every time. You have to adapt to what the map is offering: threat lane changing / special enemies / mini bosses spawning, basically. Beef up your defenses at the threat lane / special lane at the cost of weak lane defenses. Experiment.

I am currently using Huntress / Apprentice combo with, of course, waller squire. I do not need a tank atm to clear NM1 content. And i started at Insane farming for items =) It is doable, guys. And it is fun. 
The longest it took me to complete a map yesterday, was 2h-ish(!?), but i didn't notice the time go by. At all.
I took it super slow, but super steady and cleared the map, reaped the 3 ogre loot at the end of the map and got a lego chest (because of the daily bonus). 

Yeah but from your post you make it sound like I expect to have a win handed to me, or somehow my strategy is off, it's not. We've tried several different approaches and none of them work, and i'd like to think after hundreds of hours of play we know how to build up lanes and adapt to the threat, the problem just lies in the fact that it feels like we are fighting through quicksand trying to do DPS.

@Seph quote:

Have patience, children. 

This is why people consider your posts inflammatory, the whole talking down thing has got to stop.

@FuNiOnZ quote:

@Seph quote:

FuNiOnZ 

Yeah but from your post you make it sound like I expect to have a win handed to me, or somehow my strategy is off, it's not. We've tried several different approaches and none of them work, and i'd like to think after hundreds of hours of play we know how to build up lanes and adapt to the threat, the problem just lies in the fact that it feels like we are fighting through quicksand trying to do DPS.

@Seph quote:

Have patience, children. 

This is why people consider your posts inflammatory, the whole talking down thing has got to stop.

I could not agree more.

At the moment I'm not really participating in any Nightmare mode stuff. It isn't because the content is too hard, it's tough but I don't get held back by something like that. Hell I often play on the hardest difficulty in whatever game I play. The main reason I don't feel like going through nightmare mode is because I don't feel like I'm getting any stronger even when I progress. 

For a bit of what I mean let me first state that when starting the game I decided I'd go DPS monk. Not exactly a popular choice I know. But back in Dungeon Defenders 1 I loved playing the Barbarian and other DPS heroes. In a way you were the weakest member of the team by being incapable of being in more places than one at once. But on the other hand if you were well set up you could dominate one lane, possibly more if you were good at what you did. It didn't matter the difficulty. Oh sure it might get hard but again if you were good you could stop hordes in their track.

Well lets just say Dungeon Defenders 2 doesn't really give much support to people serious about doing hero damage. At least melee or monk I don't know. Maybe Huntress is better or Squire built for it. But my experience with monk has been... bleh. Anyways that's where I stood. I started playing some nightmare mode when the update came out and after finding out about the Serenity bug me and a group of people started doing nightmare mode.

It was slow, painfully so. But we managed to beat a few maps and get some upgraded gear. We even jumped to NM2 and I managed to get a legendary polearm! Cool now I'll maybe start being better at my job... But that wasn't how it went. I found that even with my NM2 legendary polearm (Somewhere between 340-380 ipwr) I was barely any stronger. It was a bit discouraging and I decided to call it quits for the night.

That was disappointing but at this point I know that a hero damage monk/character isn't a super viable build at the moment. The CC I can use in NM mode is nice but I wont be killing enemies with any kind of speed. Figured I'd play him later.  Later on I decided if I wasn't going to do nightmare mode I could at least level some of my lowbies. Went ahead and looked through my equipment and found a bunch of not quite stellar green and blue NM2 gear I had laying around. It had defense power so I figured I could make a bunch of lightning traps. 

Joined a game and set up a few defenses. Another monk joined, level 48... and he had better defense damage. Now for the record I don't have defense power spheres. I got Hero damage and Defense HP spheres for my squire I was leveling. But it was still baffling to me in NM2 gear that was completely set for defense power to be overcome by someone who had not even hit 50. 

It was at that moment that I started to feel gear in general wasn't making me much stronger. I could grind for hundreds of hours but in the end I'd only be a little bit stronger than fresh 50s. It's not a feeling that makes me WANT to put a ton of effort into this game.

The point I mostly wanted to make was I don't feel a strong sense of progression with this game.  I don't feel like I'm getting any considerable gains in power when I get an upgrade. An increase of 10 hero power makes about as much difference as an increase of 100 as far as the crazy amount of HP enemies have are concerned. 

As a final record I loved DD1. It was a game I spent far too much time on. While I get that DD2 is fresh into Alpha I feel it's up to us the players to say what we honestly think about the game. I think this game has the potential to be great, I've seen DD1 and it was amazing. At the moment DD2 does not have the same feel of greatness the first game had. I hope that everyone giving constructive criticism/opinions will help mold the game into something amazing. Accepting the flaws of a game is something you do for a game that's complete, not for an alpha game. You push the developers to fix the flaws while you still can. 

TLDR: I'd like DPS heroes to be actually at least a little more viable. I'd like to feel like nightmare gear is a drastic increase (Even if the enemies have to be made stronger to compensate that).  I wrote a lot more than I expected to. 

I quit playing as much as I use to, but lately I have found a way to enjoy playing, while also doing some sort of progression, even if it's not in the normal sense of progression, and I have been having fun. :)

Currently farming Onslaught for pet food. :D

@-venOm- quote:

DD2 steam chart. so far, game has lost more than 23% of players in last 30 days according to steam charts. and according to steam spy i lost even more.

If you look at that chart more carefully, you'll see that the loss in the last 30 days occurred in the time right before the Alpha patch.  After the Alpha patch it's been on an overall upward trend.

@Andurian quote:

@-venOm- quote:

DD2 steam chart. so far, game has lost more than 23% of players in last 30 days according to steam charts. and according to steam spy i lost even more.

If you look at that chart more carefully, you'll see that the loss in the last 30 days occurred in the time right before the Alpha patch.  After the Alpha patch it's been on an overall upward trend.

loss has increased by 5 % after alpha. before release it was 18%. i may be wrong but the fact that every single person who i have in friends, who played DD2 isn't playing the game anymore. including me. 

So from most of what i seem to be reading is that the biggest turn off for people is that they feel like they are not really progressing even when they are clearing out maps. 

I think a big solution to this would be to have the onslaught reward system in normal maps as well where the players get to choose what type of reward they get from the chest at the end that way if players only need gloves they have a slightly better chance at finding something better then what they are currently using.