Balance vs. Fun: A Discussion of Development

Hey guys, I want to keep this brief and the to the point. I'd love a community discussion on what you guys think about the current methods of inhibiting player strength.

1. iPWR cap has been reduced to 700 (pre-upgraded), previously 850+. This inherently affects many other things, such as maximum heal from Serenity Aura. We don't know if Onslaught can provide higher level loot than the listed iPWR. Until proven otherwise, we can assume not. Unless I missed it in the patch notes that explicitly says it can.
  2. A few unlisted patch changes, for example Encouragement on Gato pets restoring 1/3rd of what they previously did.
  3. Certain stat cap scales have been sharply reduced. Particularly resistances found on gear, by a factor of seemingly 1/4th.
  4. Enemies, not bosses, in NM4, have massively increased health. Nearly triple what they were before pre-patch. Their damage I'm not sure - it seems the same, but I get one shot on Huntress anyways even in iPWR 650+ gear because of the massive resistance drop.

These four factors alone will make the player feel weak. It will make them struggle, and feel hopeless. This is of course, pending you try the NM4 maps without the ludicrously broken Serenity Aura slow. It essentially makes you feel like a wet noodle against impregnable mobs. It's only a matter of convenience that certain heroes, namely Huntress and her absurdly strong Stickynades now (x3 the pre-patch damage for x2 the cooldown) can compensate for the fact that allows us to stand a chance in the first place.

There's little progressing beyond this point gear-wise, so I was happy to try NM4 a few times with what little I had without SA and found that my efforts were more or less futile.

I enjoyed DD1 and DDE BECAUSE the player could feel powerful themselves, and proud in their ability to build their strong defenses properly. They could feel strong, but even in tough maps were punished for doing/building things wrong. This genre of game boils down to a pretty skinner box, and there's little to do long term besides for mix/max. This will change inevitably as more content is released through Alpha, namely new enemies (pray for Dark Elves/Genies). But in the meanwhile, I have to say I disagree with the current methods of artificial difficulty of just tuning up HP and damage and tuning down players.

I am happy that the game is now too hard instead of too easy (again, disregarding SA), but here's to hoping that in the near future we can anticipate more mob complexity and mechanics instead of just inflated stats. I can't help but to think that after SA is fixed, players will encounter a massive brick wall in general progression and endgame map completion. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing should be looked into.

If you agree, then cool. If you disagree and prefer the current direction, a rational explanation would be duly noted and appreciated.

I think iPwr have some problems at the moment. Maybe they intend to increase iPwr cap to 1000 but the loot system works wrongly. 

Btw, I want to have fun and challenge at the same time. At least, we should not feel underpower with normal mobs. Some boss, special enemies need to be take care and they should be the challenging. However, the challenge should not base on health or their damage alone, it should have several other factors such as abilities (invisible, invulnerable, ignite, call storm cloud to damage defense...)

The game Is still lacking sooooo much at the moment I don't even. This is faaaaaaaaaar from ready for an "open alpha", i really doubt that, at this pacing, they'll make the game better. Everytime they release something new, 1 is useful, the rest is just broken stuff. And don't even get me started on these bugs...damn there's just too many bugs for a patch this size that should've been tested.

well in every game you play you want to have some kind of progress while you struggle to get it, but you know you will get it somehow "fast" <--- "FAST" not in one day, or maybe one week, but you actually improve a little with every game you play

Now, after this patch is just a waste of time to try and progress, you fail over and over again w/o any reward, which is not really fun at all, is easier to just go play another game

They need to add maybe another game mode, like keep nms somewhere between what we had before alpha and what we had at pre alpha, and just add one more game mode which is harder, maybe like current nm or even harder with idk 1k+ ipwr rewards so you actually arrive with some "finished" gear and build and just improve them, idk is only an idea