Sign in to follow this  
Professor_Valconian

Environmental Traps

@Professor_Valconian quote:

Does their damage scale with map difficulty level? If not, they should.

No, they don't. And even if they did, the ones that do damage are pitiful.

Personally I think that environmental traps should be insta-killers across the board (minus special enemies and ogres). The most useful traps in the game are the valve control in siphon site D and engine control in liferoot because they push enemies off the map. If poison roots and rocket carts instantly killed all common enemies, I'd use them a lot more and get a lot more enjoyment out of it.

The traps damage scale with the power of the enemies in each map. It's highly possible we need to increase Environmental trap damage across the board. If they traps are NOT scaling with higher level enemies, that would be a bug as that is the intention. 

Needs an Increase :D  And some maps need more traps :D.  Gives me somthing to click on in the middle of shooting stuff 

@Esorath quote:

The traps damage scale with the power of the enemies in each map. It's highly possible we need to increase Environmental trap damage across the board. If they traps are NOT scaling with higher level enemies, that would be a bug as that is the intention. 

@Esorath quote:

What is the design goal with the traps? Because atm they feel so useless outside of easy. Even on easy onslaugt, wave 20+ it ticks for a very low amount.

Are these traps something you want us to build around? Because as is and even if you bump them up quite a bit, it will still be underwhelming. 

So I am confused as to why they are there :P 

@PandynatorDD quote:

What is the design goal with the traps? Because atm they feel so useless outside of easy. Even on easy onslaugt, wave 20+ it ticks for a very low amount.

Are these traps something you want us to build around? Because as is and even if you bump them up quite a bit, it will still be underwhelming. 

So I am confused as to why they are there :P 

Ooh, I can answer this one, since I was around when they were first implemented forever ago and they explained the logic behind it :)

Environmental traps were originally implemented to encourage building in places other than choke points. You were basically presented with the option "should I build here where it's more effective for my defenses, or should I build in this slightly-less-optimal spot but take advantage of the environmental trap?"

Unfortunately a combination of the fact that most are completely useless and that most maps are too small to take advantage of alternate build locations, the reasoning behind it has been sorta lost to the sands of time. If they insta-killed enemies, I would most definitely take advantage of their locations a bit more.

As helpful as the liferoot trap is, it causes us to miss out on green mana from the slain enemies, right?

Does it actually deny us loot as well?

I just assumed items would "fall out the the world" if  trap-slain enemies happened to drop something.

It denies a trickle of green mana, but does not deny loot. Loot dropped by enemies there "fall out of the world" and is placed in your temporary item box.

@gigazelle quote:

It denies a trickle of green mana, but does not deny loot.

Will also deny you time/whole map when that ONE mob gets stuck on the island out there all by himself and you have to sword beam him to death as a squire.  RIP if he has trolls blood....

@gigazelle quote:

It denies a trickle of green mana, but does not deny loot. Loot dropped by enemies there "fall out of the world" and is placed in your temporary item box.

That's only if they're pushed off the map with a trap.  If the trap kills them with damage they drop no loot

@Pachipachio quote:

That's only if they're pushed off the map with a trap.  If the trap kills them with damage they drop no loot

I was under the impression this was similar to the pet loot bug.

Basically what was happening was kills from your pet counted 'for your pet' and not you, and since loot is instanced, you wouldn't see it. This is why it looked like bosses on occasion didn't drop anything at all.

It's very likely that the same thing was happening from trap kills.