Stuck at ilvl 180, looking to push into nightmare

So I have all 50's and all I can farm solo is Liferoot endgame insane, which drops lvl 44-47 gear.  I have a waller squire, tower squire, LA monk, and a hero dmg hunt all around iLvl 180.  I've tried NM first map and get rocked every time on the first wave, so I am wondering if there is a better setup.  I know I need the waller, would huntress with tower power for physical dmg traps instead of a tower squire for magic resist lanes, use a hero hp/dmg squire in lanes.  I haven't bought any uber spheres yet so i have some wyrvn tokens saved up,  just looking for some input  since I'm stuck.  I've been soloing for a while since friends are all low level and most people in multiplayer are incompetent. So is there a much better layout, what do other people use, or atm do you just need someone at 850 to get you some gear?

Keep grinding Liferoot insane until you have geared up all, then with a proper setup you can beat 1st map on NM1, i got 150 iPWR and i can do it (DPSing helps). play with resists and its ok, the lane that is most efficient and needs no help is the Trapper lane, so just focus on the others.

I was having the exact same problem but finally succeeded last night. I had 4 well geared builders at around iPWR 180 (tower squire, wall squire, LA monk, flameburst apprentice). My problem was trying to rely on cannonballs and flamebursts for all my defense damage. Didn't work, Got rolled every time.

Here's how I won ... Bought the LSA uber for monk. Geared my apprentice for the Frost Fire/Frost Power buff. In the 2 phys resist lanes built: 1 blockade, 4 LSA (2 near blockade, 2 just a little bit farther away ... had lots of overlap ... though on first wave I think I had 5 in each lane), 2 frost towers. In the 1 magic resist lane built: 1 blockade, 7 cannonball towers (6 on first wave I think). I also had 1 Monk anti-air tower (only when airborne enemies appeared) tucked behind the fire cart so it wouldn't be targeted by bomb goblins or spear chuckers. My DPS hero was my wall squire who had skill spheres for increasing blocking and defense damage when he was targeted by enemies.

The first wave was the toughest, but once survived it got progressively easier as my defenses were upgraded. Won the map. Give that build a try and see how it works. Good luck.

NOTE: Make sure cannonballs and frosties are far enough behind your blockades so that they don't take too much damage. Also, my magic resist lane was in the middle, so that is where my cannonballs were ... which helped with the airborne enemies.

Items are going to be re-rolled back to iPWR 241? Something like that. I suggest you wait till the patch comes before putting all your time and effort. That being said, the current most effective way of grinding maps as well as completing the harder maps is to use the Huntress traps and Apprentice Frostbite towers.

Also, the LSA uber has been significantly nerfed in terms of its DP scaling and the gaining of attack speed when upgraded. Unless you're specifically targetting a boss, I suggest you stick with more 'mob' killing towers.

I honestly don't remember the last time I've met anyone using Cannonball and Flameburst for all their damage output since... half a month ago? They simply aren't as efficient when compared to the more favoured builds that consist of traps + frostbite.

Additionally, try playing with other people, though more heroes on the map do make enemies slightly beefier, the extra hand is more than worth it weight in value.

I say buy huntress's Elemental Chaos Uber instead of Lightning Strikes.. much more efficient when combined with Apprentice Frosty Power. That way, you will be able to cover any lane with one builder. Then a waller squire, he can tank as well if needed due to tons of HP^^, Frosty Apprentice and a Monk builder for Sky Guards =)  I think it would be enough to survive some of NM1 content.

Best and effienct way is even with "low" ipwr gear always sadly but true the traptess with frosty support... good frosty gear percentagewise then 2-3 Frosties each lane and 6 traps right in front of spawn, then 1 barricade in the distance that ranged units barely leave the spawn and standing in the traps and 2 traps right in front of the barricades, maybe 1 or 2 aa if needed for airlane same setup or nearly each map and difficulty in the game you just need to gear up for it ;)

For example with nearly perfect ipwr 240 gear i am able to SOLO NM3 even that the requirement is IPWR 500 gear because Frosty passive is so OP ;) it is just a question of understanding gamemechanics and the right tactic :D

The way I did it, and many others, was to farm Gates of Dragonfall End game NM1 wave 1 ogre. The build is using your waller build 5 barricades one after the other in the non ogre lanes. Build one or two in the ogre lane, not too close. Then depending on resistance use your monks LSA or Traptress explosive traps to set as many auras or traps to take down the ogre, pop in a serenity to keep your squire alive on the wave and keep the ogre in the damage area. As long as you don't get Trollblood you can do it repeatedly until you have IPWR240 on all your heroes. Did this before Frosty power so you can use it or not.

You can either do this solo, or join the many people doing this map before the re-roll.

I was able to do Gates of Dragonfall NM1 until the last wave with my three 180-190 geared builders (huntress, squire and monk, so no frostbite tower boosts).  The triple ogres in the last wave were too much, but I made some stupid mistakes and went too close to them while attempting to repair defenses.  It's possible I could have beaten the map with more careful play.  The double bosses on the 3rd wave were bugged though and only had 4k and 15k HP; I'm not sure if I could have defeated non-bugged bosses at that point.

I believe lightning strike auras were instrumental in this.  Despite being toned down recently, they are still the best single-target damaging defense.  Besides bosses they are also useful against small groups of strong trash enemies such as orcs and drakkins.  They are so strong that I kind of dislike them because of it; I don't like the idea of a single defense being mandatory.  Perhaps harpoons with the proper build could rival them, but the LSA uber is far easier to acquire.

Wave 3 bosses are still bugged so once you can properly do wave 1, doing the next couple of waves is worth doing for the drops.

I think having a trap Huntress makes it a lot easier, especially at lower ipwr levels.

What I think you should do is go join an NM4 incursion liferoot map on public game. You should try to get a higher ipwr 240 + gear before patch comes out so you can get the accessories.

Tried to break through to NM1  a dozen times now, just can't seem to do any damage and get overrun on wave 1. Whoever thought the 30+ point jump in iLvl was a good idea is a genius

@FuNiOnZ quote:

Tried to break through to NM1  a dozen times now, just can't seem to do any damage and get overrun on wave 1. Whoever thought the 30+ point jump in iLvl was a good idea is a genius

It was a first try, let's not get too judgmental ;p Hopefully, the that ipwr wall is gonna lessen / disappear in Alpha! Fingers crossed.
Just a warning in advance (to prevent possible future rageposts about how hard it is to climb to NM4): NM4 difficulty spike is supposed to be huge. So be prepared to set up your gear farming camp in NM3 =)

@Seph quote:

@FuNiOnZ quote:

It was a first try, let's not get too judgmental ;p Hopefully, the that ipwr wall is gonna lessen / disappear in Alpha! Fingers crossed.
Just a warning in advance (to prevent possible future rageposts about how hard it is to climb to NM4): NM4 difficulty spike is supposed to be huge. So be prepared to set up your gear farming camp in NM3 =)

Looking forward to it!

@Seph quote:

@FuNiOnZ quote:

That's what I keep telling myself, I just don't give up easily and i'm completely burnt out farming crossroads for gear, all 4 of my char's are 190+ and I still can't crack that first wave, I feel like they should of made the entrance to NM1 around 200~

@FuNiOnZ quote:

That's what I keep telling myself, I just don't give up easily and i'm completely burnt out farming crossroads for gear, all 4 of my char's are 190+ and I still can't crack that first wave, I feel like they should of made the entrance to NM1 around 200~

You should try doing liferoot instead of the first map, I find it easier even though it has a higher ipwr. In fact with a combo of a tower huntress, tower monk, & waller apprentice (yes apprentice) I was able to solo nm1 liferoot but was unable to do dragonfall gates.

@topler quote:

@FuNiOnZ quote:

You should try doing liferoot instead of the first map, I find it easier even though it has a higher ipwr. In fact with a combo of a tower huntress, tower monk, & waller apprentice (yes apprentice) I was able to solo nm1 liferoot but was unable to do dragonfall gates.

The problem with Dragonfall Gates is that it is low DU for 3 lanes + flying mobs which do not follow the path of these 3 lanes, at least with Liferoot, all the flying mobs will typically be killed by auras and traps (they wont trigger the traps but will get hurt by them) for the 3 lanes, and you have a lot more DU..

They said they were going to fix/balance the maps, especially so they are more solo friendly.  A lot of maps are really undesirable due to the number of lanes, the amount of flying mobs and their pathing and the amount of DU you have to cover said lanes.

I think we should see more viable map setups going forward, hopefully they release more of the maps for the different difficulty levels so that picking different modes and difficulty levels provides greater access to the type of maps you have to choose from based on your current gear.

@Vim quote:

@topler quote:

@FuNiOnZ quote:

The problem with Dragonfall Gates is that it is low DU for 3 lanes + flying mobs which do not follow the path of these 3 lanes, at least with Liferoot, all the flying mobs will typically be killed by auras and traps (they wont trigger the traps but will get hurt by them) for the 3 lanes, and you have a lot more DU..

They said they were going to fix/balance the maps, especially so they are more solo friendly.  A lot of maps are really undesirable due to the number of lanes, the amount of flying mobs and their pathing and the amount of DU you have to cover said lanes.

I think we should see more viable map setups going forward, hopefully they release more of the maps for the different difficulty levels so that picking different modes and difficulty levels provides greater access to the type of maps you have to choose from based on your current gear.

I currently play it co-op with another friend so at least i'm not trying to solo it, and with his frosty geared 210 Apprentice and my 195 Tower Squire & 190 LSA Monk, we still can't crack that first wave, they just damage soak everything we throw at them and then down go the walls. Hopefully they balance it a bit more, we were just trying to get a 240 item before patch so we could get some of that sweet costume action :/

@FuNiOnZ quote:

Oh, so you were doing the Dragonball map? That map belongs to Griblok, right? It's my favourite map, by far^^ Also, the only map of this kind (themed map), besides the Forgotten Ruins. You won't take it away from him THAT easily. That map is more difficult than your average Nightmare map, so do something else instead=) with average NM4 items, you can fail the Gates of Dragonball NM2 - NM3 =) do the next map in line instead. Maybe you'll succeed then^^
But, well, i now think that this thread just became outdated as we are getting the Nightmare revamp today. Many will storm Nightmare 1-2;)  See you then? Hopefully, it will be easier!

Cheers,
Seph

@Seph quote:

@FuNiOnZ quote:

Oh, so you were doing the Dragonball map? That map belongs to Griblok, right? It's my favourite map, by far^^ Also, the only map of this kind (themed map), besides the Forgotten Ruins. You won't take it away from him THAT easily. That map is more difficult than your average Nightmare map, so do something else instead=) with average NM4 items, you can fail the Gates of Dragonball NM2 - NM3 =) do the next map in line instead. Maybe you'll succeed then^^
But, well, i now think that this thread just became outdated as we are getting the Nightmare revamp today. Many will storm Nightmare 1-2;)  See you then? Hopefully, it will be easier!

Cheers,
Seph

Amazingly enough we managed to make it to 10/10 on NM1 Crossroads after we took some advice and tried it out. Breezed right through most waves and got geared up fairly decently!