Sign in to follow this  
Peekaboss

Phys resist lanes - Most efficient?

Okay lads, here is a thread to talk about Physical resist lanes, 

Seeming as i can run them almost any way.
What is the most cost effective or efficient way to run these lanes.

3 LA / 2 gysers  is a neat one, works well, doesn't however have too much to deal with hoard waves as a lot of the damage is over time, not burst.

Ele traps -  5 ele traps, this works quite well and is probably the best one, as it combos a lot of burst damage

Flame throwers -  Can be used too, quite effective at protecting your cades, difficult to get the frost buff

LSA - 4x Lightning Strikes Aura -  Incredible single target, difficulty vs hoard waves

Earth shatters - Just baller status, ineffective but points for swag

Blaze baloons - 3x Blaze baloons - Huge aoe, lacks burst

What are you running, and whats your thoughts? 
my go too atm is probably ele traps, and or (3xLA or 2x LA + 1 LSA) + 2 geyser. as it has a neat mix of everything, Ele traps shred ogres though, which is a bonus for that
assuming you were going for say 100+ runs on onslaught, you'd need the best possible lane, so hit me up with some feedback

2 frost, 2 Blaze, 2 LSA if no ele traps. My go-to for NM4 LR incursion, should work just as well for onslaught.

Doesnt work in onslaught, the mobs have way too much move speed and hoard waves will flood your walls till they eventually climb it. Without burst damage the hoard waves will over run you

Depends on stats and Ubers available to the builder. I would recommend as Frost (some number here, or 1 if no stacking at later point but current tower values) and Chaos Mine (uber). You could throw in a Geyser or two near the walls to reduce dmg dealt by tanky foes who survive the first few Mines if your stats aren't high enough (atm they usually don't reach the walls after 1-2 upgrades).

The reason for Chaos Mine over any other option is:

1.) Burst

2.) Two mines for 40 DU vs 1 LSA for 40 DU but two mines do almost identical single target DPS while also AoE

3.) Two mines cover range issues and with Vector passive + Range spheres and Chaos Mine being larger area than Explosive Mine range is not a problem and can usually hit the same target for high single DPS if placed appropriately.

4.) Simply deals comparable DPS to basically anything else in the game except possibly Harpoons (before considering Frost) than exceeds them by no small margin.

The single down point of this route is 2 mines to upgrade vs a single LSA has limits against tankier foes early on but I would argue that with frost towers the dmg is so high that it is irrelevant.

LA is a viable option as well with high stats and Radiance (or w/e the passive is called for aura range) can hit a pretty large area but due to the attack rate cap really falls short of what Mine Uber can achieve with frosts.

Blaze Baloons used to be amazing but are in a pretty terrible spot once you have decent frost towers or even really compared to LA. Hopefully next week will make them more worth while without crowding out other options with new passives.

Anything else sucks except maybe Earth Shatter with high stats and fault line passives but I have not properly tested this. It has a core problem of inferior attack rate but when multiple are stacked together may/may not be worth it (really I have put off testing this for too long, mainly because no point when other options work so well already and content is too easy).

Blaze balloons can still be buffed by frosts, you just need to actually put them in range to be buffed even when enemies are on the walls (likewise for LSA). In my setup, I generally have blaze balloon in front of wall, LSA just behind, another LSA further back, then finally another blaze balloon

@Xengre quote:

3.) Two mines cover range issues and with Vector passive + Range spheres and Chaos Mine being larger area than Explosive Mine range is not a problem and can usually hit the same target for high single DPS if placed appropriately.

The trigger range is the only thing that increases with range+ in the tooltip.  With any of the three things you've mentioned (2 spheres, +helm range) the trigger range of the chaos mines exceed the damage range

Is that just a bug in the tooltip you're aware of and I never caught on or were you not aware that the chaos mine can trigger without damaging units when the range is increased a lot?

@Pachipachio quote:

@Xengre quote:

The trigger range is the only thing that increases with range+ in the tooltip.  With any of the three things you've mentioned (2 spheres, +helm range) the trigger range of the chaos mines exceed the damage range

Is that just a bug in the tooltip you're aware of and I never caught on or were you not aware that the chaos mine can trigger without damaging units when the range is increased a lot?

Having tested the range upgrades in game, I don't think that's still the case.  As soon as they step near the trap and it triggers, the mob died.  I trust this, because my frost towers slowed them down and they were able to inch their way into the trap radius.  As soon as the trap detonated, the mob died and cheers were heard around the world.

I suspect trigger range is measured in diameter, while damage radius is measured in well, radius. The radius shown when mines are placed placed is way too small to be 375.

@Kyrn quote:

I suspect trigger range is measured in diameter, while damage radius is measured in well, radius. The radius shown when mines are placed placed is way too small to be 375.

Diameter = Radius x 2...  I'm not sure what you mean.

@swiffben quote:

@Kyrn quote:

Diameter = Radius x 2...  I'm not sure what you mean.

I mean the trigger range is not radius but diameter, so you have to divide by 2 to compare with the damage radius.

@Kyrn quote:

I mean the trigger range is not radius but diameter, so you have to divide by 2 to compare with the damage radius.

So, the trigger range is double the damage range?

Like I mentioned in my first post here, I watched the mobs inch closer to my trap, and the first time it was within range, it tripped and the mob died.  So I'm thinking that the trigger range/damage range are about the same.

@swiffben quote:

@Kyrn quote:

So, the trigger range is double the damage range?

Like I mentioned in my first post here, I watched the mobs inch closer to my trap, and the first time it was within range, it tripped and the mob died.  So I'm thinking that the trigger range/damage range are about the same.

The opposite: damage range is double trigger range.

1C73A007F4AFEE5A2A621B05AA6A712F0B910A08Chaos: Trig Range 397

Lightning Strikes: ATK Range 968

Cannon: ATK Range 2400

This demonstrates pretty nicely that the range shown by Shift (trig range, aura range, etc) is always determined by radius.

I went into onslaught to see if my chaos traps can still trigger without doing damage and you're right @swiftben, I don't get that anymore.  Idk if it was in patch notes somewhere or just a stealth update, but I am 100% sure chaos traps used to be able to blow up without damaging things if all the range+ is used.. and I never used it since lol

Also tried to see if Chaos had twice the range of its trigger range, Kryn, and I can say with 100% certainty they don't - tested in onslaught on hoard and paid extra close attention to the orc magi round since they come out clustered. Only the mobs entering the trap got hit, and never the ones behind them. 

Maybe you perceived something weird since explosive traps already start out with almost twice the explosion range as their trigger range.

I don't recall the circles being so large when placed. Are you sure that's the trigger or damage range shown after placement?

EDIT: hmm, seems I'm wrong... and severely underestimated just how short distances are.

@Kyrn quote:

I don't recall the circles being so large when placed. Are you sure that's the trigger or damage range shown after placement?

It's trigger radius, the game shows this multiple ways such as range spheres only effecting trigger radius & the circle gets bigger with them on thus it's trigger radius. Blaze Balloon also shows trigger radius so it'd only make sense other traps did the same.

I'm assuming Pachipachio has trap range on their helmet & that they use range spheres to get the trigger radius that large, it's also elemental chaos which has a larger radius then regular explosive traps.

@topler quote:

@Kyrn quote:

It's trigger radius, the game shows this multiple ways such as range spheres only effecting trigger radius & the circle gets bigger with them on thus it's trigger radius. Blaze Balloon also shows trigger radius so it'd only make sense other traps did the same.

I'm assuming Pachipachio has trap range on their helmet & that they use range spheres to get the trigger radius that large, it's also elemental chaos which has a larger radius then regular explosive traps.

Though I'd not really put blaze balloon in the same category since it functions somewhat differently from normal traps, but yes, tested and I severely underestimated how short distances are.

(which on hindsight just shows how much flamethrowers desperately needs some form of damage reduction from ogre stomps..)