Defense power monk?

Hello everyone. So I am a noob at this game. I have had it for a long time now. But I just recently started really playing more then one time every few weeks. I am playing with a monk right now and I am trying to go pure defense power.  Is that a bad idea? I am not sure how much build matters in this game. But it seems as though I do really well in a game with people who have walls. Because I will put traps up at the walls and everything dies before it can get though. But I am not sure if that method will be effect as I get higher in the game. The down fall is when I am in a solo game. I really can not do much. I just end up putting the traps around the pain objective and try to CC everyone there.

And advice? Thankies!!!

Ya, for endgame, you really need some form of Walls. Then you can build defenses around those walls where all the mobs will stop. Also, if you're only building a Monk, you will find it hard to handle Magic Resist lanes at Endgame where they have 75% resistance to magic damage. Luckily, you can jump into some NM4 Liferoot Incursion right now and there should be someone there to build the MR lanes for you (Assuming they don't trash you for trying to use sub-par towers in Physical Resist Lanes, which happens all too often).