Game will not load

@Zuqual quote:

@Hendo quote:

If you don't want to contribute in some constructive  way and would rather tell me how I'm wrong for something that has worked for me then that is you prerogative.

It certainly is, just as it is yours to tell people that the only reason they aren't playing is because they aren't patient.

You got me there. What works for me might not work for someone else. Patience worked for me. I was able to finally get into the game though, after about ~15 minutes, while having this problem again today after trying a few a times with period of waiting between each attempt. Good luck to you. 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Hendo quote:

I've had this happen to me the past couple days and closing out DD2 and trying again every couple minutes usually works. It's a bit annoying having to spending 5 minutes or more trying to get onto a stable server, however Trendy is aware of the issue and working on it so I have hopes that it will be fixed soon. If you really want to play DD2 then you can, you just have to have patience which seems in short supply for many people. 

Explain to me how waiting 3 days (only starting to post about 48 hours after it happened..) and attempting all supposed 'fixes', is not being patient?

At this point we'll wait another 2 days because they historically dont do anything on the weekends. Again, explain to me what level of patience would be required to actually log in to the game? I've left the black swirly screen running for hours at a time, so please, again, explain to me this 5 minutes thing?

Maybe you'll take a second to realize the problem isn't impacting everyone in the same way. So you (and others) take the fluke success that works for you folks, and expect it to be a replicated fix for everyone else. That just adds to the irritation of us who have had no fixes work for and it's going to likely be at least 5 days before we play.. and potentially 6 since I doubt they do anything until Tuesday. I'm optimistic of Monday but not realistic.

Don't run it for hours at a time.  If it's a black screen for a minute just X out - it wont eventually log in, ever, afaik

He mentions patience because if you try logging in multiple times (instead of waiting on the loading screen) you have a very good chance of getting in within a couple of minutes

Because it's an issue with their servers it makes sense that we're all being impacted the same way since we're all connecting to their servers.  It's just that some people wait on the loading screen, never to get inside, and others X out and try repeatedly

@Alabama quote:

@Hendo quote:

I've had this happen to me the past couple days and closing out DD2 and trying again every couple minutes usually works. It's a bit annoying having to spending 5 minutes or more trying to get onto a stable server, however Trendy is aware of the issue and working on it so I have hopes that it will be fixed soon. If you really want to play DD2 then you can, you just have to have patience which seems in short supply for many people. 

Explain to me how waiting 3 days (only starting to post about 48 hours after it happened..) and attempting all supposed 'fixes', is not being patient?

At this point we'll wait another 2 days because they historically dont do anything on the weekends. Again, explain to me what level of patience would be required to actually log in to the game? I've left the black swirly screen running for hours at a time, so please, again, explain to me this 5 minutes thing?

Maybe you'll take a second to realize the problem isn't impacting everyone in the same way. So you (and others) take the fluke success that works for you folks, and expect it to be a replicated fix for everyone else. That just adds to the irritation of us who have had no fixes work for and it's going to likely be at least 5 days before we play.. and potentially 6 since I doubt they do anything until Tuesday. I'm optimistic of Monday but not realistic.

I realize you're a bit angry because you can't play the game, however that is not a reason to verbally lash out at someone for offering their opinion and suggestions on what has worked for them.

Now, if you want to take a moment to actually reread my post, because I read yours, and you clearly missed what I said. Don't just sit at the black screen of boredom waiting for your life to pass you by because that's not going to work. You're clearly being logged into a server that is experiencing the memory leak problem and staying there isn't going to help anything. Close your game out entirely so that it's not running and wait 5 minutes before trying again. Don't waste your time sitting at the black screen with the pre-alpha watermark and the loading screen swirly for any longer than it would normally take for you to load into the social tavern. I've had to try several times before I finally was able to not get stuck at the black swirly of boredom.

If that doesn't work, you can read my other post or I'll just reiterate it here. Hopefully you have people on your steam friend's list that play DD2, if not then feel free to add me in the hopes that this will work. If you do have friends who play DD2 then great. Before you press the play button to take you into the social tavern, hopefully, or the black loading screen of boredom, try joining their DD2 match if they are in a game already and it's not full. This has also worked for me in the past. I was able to join a friend's game that wasn't full and from there on had no issue getting in and out of the many "rooms" of DD2 to play. 

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt since your post came out less than a minute after my last one admitting I was wrong for assuming what worked for me should work for everyone else. So I admit that I was wrong to tell everyone they need patience, however patience is what has worked for me.

Edit: I have to start the process over again because I was taking time to type up this post. Curse you Trendy and your kick timer from private games. 

I tried restarting the game for an hour+ this morning while watching a movie (never sitting at the black screen) with no results.  Just recently got in after trying about 10 times.  Maybe someone showed up at work and started rebooting the servers, dunno.

@Pachipachio quote:

Don't run it for hours at a time.  If it's a black screen for a minute just X out - it wont eventually log in, ever, afaik

He mentions patience because if you try logging in multiple times (instead of waiting on the loading screen) you have a very good chance of getting in within a couple of minutes

Because it's an issue with their servers it makes sense that we're all being impacted the same way since we're all connecting to their servers.  It's just that some people wait on the loading screen, never to get inside, and others X out and try repeatedly

sigh.. I wish you would have read the whole thing and not just /hours at a time/ 

I said I've left it running for hours at a time as an "also fix" to all the tehr things that were tried. I did this after spending a few hours trying other things.

This forum. People read half a post or one line of a post (just like they do dev notes/comments/etc). It's baffling. When people say they've done the same thing as you, it means they've done the same thing without the same results. When they said they went even FURTHER and tried things you didn't have to, it means that even more fixes (that did work for others) didn't work.

So no, the same problem isn't impacting everyone the same way, and that's where my frustration lies with this forum. 

@Hendo quote:

@Alabama quote:

@Hendo quote:

I realize you're a bit angry because you can't play the game, however that is not a reason to verbally lash out at someone for offering their opinion and suggestions on what has worked for them.

If that's what you call lashing out, then I want to live in what ever bubble world you live in.

As for everything else, read the posts in their entirety instead of just skimming pieces and you'll see they've done everything you're rehashing.

I think once you're logged into all the servers you're out of luck. I've tried logging in 20 times this morning without luck. Did validation & reset video, nada.

Apparently we'll need to create a super large steam group to keep everyone playing through the weekend.

@Vahlkrin Hursch quote:

@CBlue413 quote:

Disappointed, but not surprised.  Guess I'll play a different weekend.

I'd usually complain, but I've been trying to think of something to put off the anger and frustration. Three simple syllables, "Pre-Alpha."

@EviLGreeNPenguiN quote:

@gigazelle quote:

@Tank90 quote:

They did say that they know of this problem its a memory leak in the server thats causing this. They are trying to fix it when they did fix it it actually screwed more things up so they didn't patch it.

Ooh, do you happen to have a link to where they mentioned this? Might be good to include in this thread.

I made mention of it to them during their dev cast. I'm not sure that they actually understood the issue is you can't get beyond the main menu and not that going from social tavern to an actual game can be a slow loading process. (maybe it's just different symptoms of the same bug) I had a hard time hearing what they said in it's entirety.

But yea as Tank said they said there's a memory leak and servers apparently aren't clearing out old temp(?) data regarding profiles like they should so they've steadily been getting worse and worse.

Would be nice to get some confirmation that the issue is being looked at. I_PASS_BUTTER or anyone?

Edit: so just went and replayed the dev cast (start at around 43:00, where the mentioning of the known server issues is). Sounds like memory leaks are slowly picking off servers one at a time. Though I did find it cute how they just chuckle at the mention of the known bug and reply "well some people are able to log in". Maybe we dust off that "known issues" thread and update it to let our community know whats going on? At least then people can have a clue of what is going on.

Yeah, the way this is being handled is a real let down. Pre-alpha has nothing to do with this type of problem or their poor communication when there are now 10+ threads on the topic with plenty of activity and it is clearly impacting a number of people. There needs to be some proper communication.

Hey all,

We really apologize for this problem. It's a really nasty bug that we've been firefighting over the past couple of weeks. We've discovered what the problem is at the end of last week and think we've found a solution this weekend. We are hoping to fix it first thing next week.

Here's a sticky on the issue: STICKY THREAD.

Here's a post from Brad Logston on the issue earlier this week: 

rnEKP54.png

@Alabama quote:

@Pachipachio quote:

sigh.. I wish you would have read the whole thing and not just /hours at a time/ 

I said I've left it running for hours at a time as an "also fix" to all the tehr things that were tried. I did this after spending a few hours trying other things.

This forum. People read half a post or one line of a post (just like they do dev notes/comments/etc). It's baffling. When people say they've done the same thing as you, it means they've done the same thing without the same results. When they said they went even FURTHER and tried things you didn't have to, it means that even more fixes (that did work for others) didn't work.

So no, the same problem isn't impacting everyone the same way, and that's where my frustration lies with this forum. 

Relax bro

Check over your post right before mine and look for where you said you relog as your method of workaround, admittedly I didn't read every one of your posts here - my post was more of a PSA for others using that method you mentioned.  You only mentioned "leaving it on for hours on end" as if that's your most exhaustive method so I didn't really take "I've tried all your 'fixes'" as the most credible line.  I read the whole post, thanks for trying to insult my reading comprehension though?

The problem with the community isn't they're not reading well enough.  It's people getting upset and all in a tizzy really quickly.  Or insisting that "they know" about something computer engineering/math related and push on it relentlessly. 

Like dood, aren't you a parent and mention that a couple times here?  Have some more courtesy to people just trying to help out.  I realize some posters can be arrogant about this sort of thing and insist they're so much smarter than others in their replies or nitpick semantics or whatever else.  Don't think I did any of that, no idea why you got so hostile in your reply - except that maybe your patience for all things DD2 has waned, which I can totally get behind.  And in that case, sorry I annoyed you

Cheers man, wish you the best

@Pachipachio quote:

Don't think I did any of that, no idea why you got so hostile in your reply - except that maybe your patience for all things DD2 has waned, which I can totally get behind.  And in that case, sorry I annoyed you 

Cheers man, wish you the best

It's a culmination of things. Post wasnt really directed straight at you but just people in general acting like their fix works when a lot of us have done the same things(even mentioning it in some cases) to no avail and then Trendy being quiet here and on Steam until the last few hours regarding the mass blackouts.

Life can be rough when you live with 3 females on the same.. well...

727d4d4127.jpg

As for the sticky threads and 'just reset guys' that's not legitimate. People have been trying for 72 hours to 'reset' server connection and evidently the RNG for getting an online server is about as bad as it was when the pets were killing the bosses resulting in no loot.  Or Madwick RNG.

I mean I'm all for RNG, but not when it comes to online server lottery :(

Update: We just killed a couple of stuck servers, so if you were unable to login in before you might be able to login now.

@pmasher quote:

Update: We just killed a couple of stuck servers, so if you were unable to login in before you might be able to login now.

Glory Glory Hallelujah - that worked for us.

@pmasher quote:

Still having issues but the severity is somewhat reduced. Doesn't take 15 log in attemps anymore, more like 4-5 (still fairly bad tbh).

Glad to see word from Trendy on this, though. It took wayyyyyyyy to damn long for you guys to communicate on the issue. Learn from it.

@Xengre quote:

Glad to see word from Trendy on this, though. It took wayyyyyyyy to damn long for you guys to communicate on the issue. Learn from it.

Agreed,  if its been a problem for a couple of weeks,  I haven't heard about it until  now.....

Problem has been resolved on my end from this morning. Why are you guys working on a Saturday? I mean I appreciate it, but damn son.

Possible fix?

I was having this problem this morning. Decided to open up task manager, show all processes, right-click on the DD2.exe while the game was still open, and End Process Tree.

Next time I opened the game. Success.

Coulda just been lucky, but might be worth a try.

Most of the time I need to close DD2 with task manager and restart it 4 or 5 times before I can actually log in.

I have this problem for a few weeks now.

Stuck with this problem right now and still can't log in game.

I have had to "verify file integrity" in steam quite a few times and it always finds one bad file, then it places me on the correct load screen and not the load screen of doom (black one).