The Current Problem with Premium Pets

I've heard a good amount of people echo these ideas both in-game and on the forums, but I haven't heard much of a response from Trendy, so I figured I'd make an overall post.

TL;DR: The problem with premium pets is that you pay before you RNG.

First of all, I think premium pet skins are awesome. I was beyond psyched to get a Katkarot when the patch dropped, and I wouldn't mind spending a few bucks to get cool skins in the future. I also fully agree with Trendy that DD2 should not be pay-to-win, at all.

The way premium pets are currently implemented, you pay to change your egg to premium, and that egg has a chance to roll any pet rarity. That makes sense, in theory; premium pets shouldn't be guaranteed to be better than normal pets. However this leads to one of two outcomes: you either roll a "powerful" Katkarot, which is just a bummer, or you spend an insane amount of money hatching 400 premium eggs until you get your legendary. This just doesn't make sense. It's a $2.50 slot machine.

Personally, I think that we should roll RNG before we pay. Let me spend three weeks hatching eggs to get a mythical, or legendary, or whatever I need... THEN I'll pay for the premium skin. That makes sense. I get to have my favorite skin on the most powerful pet, but I get no advantage over other players. It's JUST a skin.

There may be other ways around this, such as rare pet-upgrade tokens, but I'm not sure they could be implemented as easily. This is just my 2 cents. Let me know what yall think.

@mokn quote:

What's the diff between legendary and normal. I have not noticed any.

Just appearance so far. Basically it's a vanity thing.

I'm fairly certain legendary pets have higher stats.

I do agree with that point, having hatched 2 katkarrots and 2 table flippers myself, I do find it a pain that I have to keep paying up to get them in legendary format.

They said on the stream today that, as a general estimation, legendary pets will have about double the damage of powerful pets.

I think you can get certain special pets from golden eggs (Madwick, etc) but I don't believe you can get the premium pet skins.

@Sweetwarlock quote:

They said on the stream today that, as a general estimation, legendary pets will have about double the damage of powerful pets.

I think you can get certain special pets from golden eggs (Madwick, etc) but I don't believe you can get the premium pet skins.

From what I have seen the golden pets are literally gold in color, so no you cannot get the premium skins from golden eggs.

What i personally would like to see is you pay to unlock a pet skin (you don't straight up get one) and any time you hatch an egg of that type you have a chance of getting that premium skin and it could have a higher drop chance than other pet skins (not so much that the regular skins become too rare but enough to where you don't open 100 eggs and not get it). Obviously this would make it where you only need to buy that skin once so they could up the price to like $5 or so worth of gems per skin unlock. They could even have 2 versions, a 1 time use version to convert a single egg for $1 or permanently unlocking that skin for $5.

I really want to get table flip but don't really like the idea of paying for it only to get a crappy quality version that is worse than all the pets i already have.

@Finaldeath quote:

I really want to get table flip but don't really like the idea of paying for it only to get a crappy quality version that is worse than all the pets i already have.

Exactly.

In terms of unlocking a premium skin and having a chance for it to drop, that's an interesting idea. I'm not sure that would work well in-game though. It seems better to be able to choose exactly which pet should have that skin; that way you don't have another layer of RNG to wade through.

My first and only Katkarot is a Mythic, all 3 of the other premiums I've payed for have been Powerful or Epic so I haven't really bothered trying to get more.

Thing is, is there really a Legendary for the premiums? So far, the only pets that are Legendary are two of the dragons. Since premiums can't exceed the standard pets, surely that means they can't be legendary, no?

@Faysumi quote:

Since premiums can't exceed the standard pets, surely that means they can't be legendary, no?

Trendy seems quite set on paid rewards not being stronger than normal rewards (which I think is a good plan). I'm guessing that the pets available right now are limited; they will probably release special pets at higher rarities as rewards for monthly quests / weekend events / etc.

@chpoit quote:

I do agree with that point, having hatched 2 katkarrots and 2 table flippers myself, I do find it a pain that I have to keep paying up to get them in legendary format.

What special ability does table flip have? I was under the impression you could reroll the special abilities, i don't like them being pet specific.

@mokn quote:

@chpoit quote:

What special ability does table flip have? I was under the impression you could reroll the special abilities, i don't like them being pet specific.

I dont know what special ability he has, if he has any, I just wanted a legendary one.

Check out the tooltips on the premium pets when buying the skin/egg

Table flipper has "Table flip"

Katkarrot has "Gatouken"

and the ninja cat has "Shuriken Storm"

I might have spelled some of those incorrectly

@Pachipachio quote:

Check out the tooltips on the premium pets when buying the skin/egg

Table flipper has "Table flip"

Katkarrot has "Gatouken"

and the ninja cat has "Shuriken Storm"

I might have spelled some of those incorrectly

Is katkarrot the one that gives 250 mana every 20 seconds, a bit P2W that one.

What does table flip do.

I think all pet should be able to get any ability with a reroll function.

nah, that's not the mana regen ability.  I haven't seen it on any creeper/dragon but I have seen it on other cats.  I believe it's just in the pool of abilities cats can pool from, could be wrong though - don't exactly have 100s of evolved pets to offer significant evidence

I have no idea what they do - people aren't really consistent with the naming of abilities and testing their damage on training dummies

If the guy in the pet ability thread was incorrect (as I sense he was) about the name the katkarrot ability actually has one of the better DPS values (combination of ability cooldown and hero damage:damage ratio)

..But the katkarrot itself always spawns with pretty crappy DPS thanks to its unique attack pattern afaik

I agree entirely.   I even had another post covering the same points with the same end suggestion.   I know a lot of people won't be gambling on premium pets who otherwise would have if they knew the rarity of the egg before hand.

Edit:  Here is my original topic on the subject.

@gamer21d quote:

@Sweetwarlock quote:

From what I have seen the golden pets are literally gold in color, so no you cannot get the premium skins from golden eggs.

But what if I want a golden premium pet? :V

@Pachipachio quote:

nah, that's not the mana regen ability.  I haven't seen it on any creeper/dragon but I have seen it on other cats.  I believe it's just in the pool of abilities cats can pool from, could be wrong though - don't exactly have 100s of evolved pets to offer significant evidence

I have no idea what they do - people aren't really consistent with the naming of abilities and testing their damage on training dummies

If the guy in the pet ability thread was incorrect (as I sense he was) about the name the katkarrot ability actually has one of the better DPS values (combination of ability cooldown and hero damage:damage ratio)

..But the katkarrot itself always spawns with pretty crappy DPS thanks to its unique attack pattern afaik

Though I'd note that though the starting DPS is crap, it scales up very fast

Regarding abilities, I think this is what they said on the Devstream:

Any pet can roll any ability, including premium pets. IF they happen to roll a certain random ability, it will have the special premium name and effect. So, if Katkarot rolls the right ability, it will be called Gatodouken (really, not Kamehameha?), if not, he'll just have a random normal ability without a special name.

@Sweetwarlock quote:or you spend an insane amount of money hatching 400 premium eggs until you get your legendary. This just doesn't make sense. It's a $2.50 slot machine.

Yes, it absolutely makes sense if you want to earn money with the game.

@Quentym quote:

@Sweetwarlock quote:or you spend an insane amount of money hatching 400 premium eggs until you get your legendary. This just doesn't make sense. It's a $2.50 slot machine.

Won't make much money when most people won't bother at all with it. Let us skin already hatched pets or make it a skin unlock that adds that pet to the hatchable pets list for like $5. Just because other f2p games have crappy mechanics to earn money doesn't mean this game has to use those same crappy mechanics to earn money as well. There are plenty of ways to earn money without resorting to rng like this.

I for one refuse to pay for pet skins with the current mechanic in place, i will gladly use my gems for a pet skin or 2 if i could skin an already hatched pet. If they realyl want to they could just throw a 50 cent charge on hatching a pet immediately which i wouldn't have an issue with and may use myself for event pets if i really want it hatched asap.

@Finaldeath quote:

@Quentym quote:

Won't make much money when most people won't bother at all with it.

Yes it will. If you look at F2P monetization statistics you will see that F2P games typically make the most money from just 5% of the playerbase who do spend hundreds or thousands of dollars in these type of slot machines.

@Quentym quote:
@Finaldeath quote:

@Quentym quote:

Won't make much money when most people won't bother at all with it.

Yes it will. If you look at F2P monetization statistics you will see that F2P games typically make the most money from just 5% of the playerbase who do spend hundreds or thousands of dollars in these type of slot machines.

I don't give a rats behind what trashy f2p mobile apps built around boning their customers does, that sort of thing shouldn't be in this game.

Honestly, I'd like to think that Trendy isn't just money-grubbing with this pet thing, but rather, it's a design flaw. They have a lot of other monetization options in the game that people are more than happy to pay for with few complaints (costumes and hero slots being prime examples). Most people I've talked to aren't even willing to buy ONE premium pet with the way the system is right now.

So, yes, perhaps there will be a few people who spend $1000 on pets to get the right ones. However, I think if the system were changed or improved, way more players would be willing to get premium pets, which could possibly lead to more profit.

Either way, I hope it's not a profit issue, and rather a player enjoyment issue that they consider.

@Sweetwarlock quote:

Honestly, I'd like to think that Trendy isn't just money-grubbing with this pet thing, but rather, it's a design flaw. They have a lot of other monetization options in the game that people are more than happy to pay for with few complaints (costumes and hero slots being prime examples). Most people I've talked to aren't even willing to buy ONE premium pet with the way the system is right now.

So, yes, perhaps there will be a few people who spend $1000 on pets to get the right ones. However, I think if the system were changed or improved, way more players would be willing to get premium pets, which could possibly lead to more profit.

Either way, I hope it's not a profit issue, and rather a player enjoyment issue that they consider.

I think it was the easiest way to code, is by letting you buy an egg that randomized the stats and rarity. It's not a skin, I don't think pets work that way, But that's the way we view it. I do agree we should be able to transform even our fully evolved pet that we grown attached to, to a premium pet, sure, it might make the "pet part" of pets make less sense. Because we don't bond with it, but I think they would increase the sales of their 5 dollar premium currency for more older players to let you buy and transform a Pet already existing. That would be more user freindly, we don't need pets to be like keys we already have that system for costumes, we don't need premium costs to roll a dice on a pet, it might make for more money for the cash cows, but over all the whole playerbase will invest less, which is why I haven't bought katkarot, or the Table Flip Deamon. I hope they find a way to apply skins to pets to transform them. 

or they could just get rid of the stat differences between qualities.