So they are adding Harpoon passives

but is the harpoon targetting issue fixed yet or the woefully slow fire rate.

At the moment harpoons are not used at all due to this, so passives aren't going to help, just more useless loot.

• Added new Passives: 
    • Hearty Harpoons: Harpoon attack rate increased by [X-Y]% of your Defense Health. 
    • 'Splody Harpoons: Harpoons detonates on each enemy hit dealing [X-Y]% of Defense Health as Damage around it. 
    • Healthy Blockades: X% of your Hero Health also applies as Defense Health to blockades.
  • Added new Skill Spheres. 
    • Harpoons Oil Targets: Harpoons deal less damage but guarantee oil enemies. (At the moment, the oil from the Harpoon does not activate the Ignite combo when hit with fire. We’re fixing this in a future update!) 
    • Harpoon Pierce Increase: Harpoon can pierce +X extra targets 
    • Harpoon Range: Increase Harpoon range increased

@Fozzie quote:

At the moment harpoons are not used at all due to this, so passives aren't going to help, just more useless loot.

Well, hearty harpoons does increase their fire rate...

But as a factor of defence health, which is odd IMO. So your waller squire has the fastest harpoons, but the least damage.

@Fozzie quote:

But as a factor of defence health, which is odd IMO. So your waller squire has the fastest harpoons, but the least damage.

Then don't just stack DP. It's not like you wouldn't need to stack two stats if they reimplemented DS.

@Kyrn quote:

@Fozzie quote:

Then don't just stack DP. It's not like you wouldn't need to stack two stats if they reimplemented DS.

imho i would rather build DP/DH anyways. sure you miss out on CD/CC but with a healthy mix it will be awesome.

edit: oh and dont forget the new passive, 'Splody Harpoons: Harpoons detonates on each enemy hit dealing [X-Y]% of Defense Health as Damage around it. This i think will be making DH stacking still make harpoons do viable damage. Now my question is what radius the explosion has and will the dmg get reduced for each enemy hit much like the pierce looses strength

Fozzie I think "Iam" actually had a post inside the patch notes in regards to fixing the target issue being a high priority. Mind you that was pre patch, The post patch notes now doesn't seem to have that.

@๖ۣۜPhoenixX quote:

Fozzie I think "Iam" actually had a post inside the patch notes in regards to fixing the target issue being a high priority. Mind you that was pre patch, The post patch notes now doesn't seem to have that.

It's a priority, it isn't resolved.

Agreed with Kyrn I just tried the harps to see if the targetting issue is fixed and it most definitely isn't.

It's the most dithery thing you could imagine.

Harpoon: Ooh I have a target, oh no I haven't, yes I have, er no I haven't, ooh..er..ooh err no, oh bollocks the wave has finished.

@Fozzie quote:

They are working on the retargeting issue.

Found hearthy harpoon on an epic chest: 6.34% 

Found hearthy blockade on a mythic boots: 4.63%

Also, for ease of finding said mods, for some reason they're coloured to that of the epic/mythic (aka the mod text on the epic chest is blue, and purple on that mythic boots.)

@Angelatic-Birdy quote:

The harpoon oil passive sounds like something that would fit a waller squire

His harpoons slow his enemies and he lowers their damage 

Should be really nice in combination with the apprentices flameburst to set the oil on fire :)

@Squishydew quote:

@Angelatic-Birdy quote:

Should be really nice in combination with the apprentices flameburst to set the oil on fire :)

ye i thaught the same. Might work really well with flamethrower too (if they get buffed so they are useable).

havent been able to play around with it in game yet but got a good chest/DH weapon with splody on weapon and hearty harpoons on chest. im currently 3.6k DH and that makes the attack rate 1.68/s(with full attack rate spheres, didnt test defense health spheres). I have a second AP weapon and with Sploddy aswell as hearty harpoons and oh boy its awesome. The attack rate with the second hearty harpoons is 1.24 with defense rate spheres and 1.28 with defense health spheres. Both hearty harpoons are ~13.8%, not sure what the max value is it can roll. I have far from the best gear and with max gear i reckon the 1-1.1sec attack rate would be possible.

The damage it deals is pretty decent aswell, dealing ~20k dps with current gear. For the moment i only have DH + random other stats on my gear and 0 DP from gear.

I havent had the time messing around with the new harpoon spheres, but from what ive seen so far this will make the ballistas a bit more usefull and viable once more.

On a different point, is it know what pieces it can roll on? I so far have seen it on chest/weapon, but i have been spending most the day farming onslaught ignoring the stats on loot.

The final note i wanna bring in is the targeting bug. Even tho it is still there i think with the Hearty harpoons gear it will be allot less of an issue as it was before. !!!TRENDY THIS DOES NOT MEAN DONT FIX IT!!!

edit: According to other sources the passives can roll on any piece making this extremely powerfull on a waller squire with max DH and the pasives on more then 2 pieces.

Saw some harpoon modifiers today, but sadly none on items that were otherwise usable for my squire.

Why do the modifiers speak of harpoons and harpoon towers when the defense is called ballista?

@tdb quote:

Saw some harpoon modifiers today, but sadly none on items that were otherwise usable for my squire.

Why do the modifiers speak of harpoons and harpoon towers when the defense is called ballista?

because thats what you shoot out? I don't know man its the only explanation i can come up with.

Gosh I love how they spent forever in DD with a bugged harpoon and had to constantly try to fix it and improve the targeting, tracking, etc... what do we have in DD2?  Pretty much the same problems all over again.

I only got to play for a few hours tonight, but with just a few pieces of gear acquired in that time with the new passives, it already feels like this is going to trivialize the difficulty of the game.

@Tammy quote:

@Squishydew quote:

@Angelatic-Birdy quote:

ye i thaught the same. Might work really well with flamethrower too (if they get buffed so they are useable).

They are usable, sorta, but doesn't synergise with harpoons all that well; Flamethrowers works best in corners, flameburst works best in long stretches, like harpoons.