Sign in to follow this  
Vindicit

Crit stat calculated into tower dps?

Is the crit chance and crit damage stat calculated into the dps tooltip of your towers? Its hard for me to tell since Im lower level and dont have higher stats for it to be obvious.

DPS on your towers display the constant damage that they will deal.  Since crit chance and crit damage are situational they aren't calculated into the DPS.

@Cam-Bot quote:

Since crit chance and crit damage are situational they aren't calculated into the DPS.

lol. They are calculated in in every game ever. It's just because it's not implemented yet.

It is not currently, but would certainly be nice if it was.

Crits aren't situational in that they would only occur in some situations and not others.  They have the same chance to occur every time an attack happens, so over a long period they simply add DPS.  Heck, in many character builds in Diablo 3 easily 60% of all damage comes from crits.

@Cam-Bot quote:

DPS on your towers display the constant damage that they will deal.  Since crit chance and crit damage are situational they aren't calculated into the DPS.

There already is an ATK stat that states how much damage per hit the tower does. DPS should be over time which should include crits. So I guess the Devs need to work on it.

@Vindicit quote:

@Cam-Bot quote:

There already is an ATK stat that states how much damage per hit the tower does. DPS should be over time which should include crits. So I guess the Devs need to work on it.

The thing is though even with 30% crit chance your towers have a possibility to NEVER crit. Cause it's all chance. So if there's a chance it never crits then it isn't DPS since theres no supplemental damage. I agree with you that there should be a more clarified number of how much damage your towers do when they crit.

You can include crit stats into the dps calculation easily enough. As tdb said, all the crit stuff amounts to is an average increase in dps over a sufficiently long period of time. Most games include crit stuff into dps calculations by default.

The formula would be something like this: [tower dmg + (crit damage * crit chance)]/attack rate

In the case of my t1 explosive trap: [1010 + (861 * .22180)]/1.93 = 622.264 dps. Without crit stats it is 523 dps.

@Cam-Bot quote:

The thing is though even with 30% crit chance your towers have a possibility to NEVER crit. Cause it's all chance. So if there's a chance it never crits then it isn't DPS since theres no supplemental damage. I agree with you that there should be a more clarified number of how much damage your towers do when they crit.

That is technically true.  However, over 100 shots, there is a 99% chance a tower with 30% crit chance will crit between 19 and 41 times.  The chance of obtaining less than 10 or more than 52 crits is less than one in a million.  So it makes perfect sense to include crits in dps.  As a mathematically oriented person I wouldn't mind if they showed the dps range at 1, 2 and 3 sigmas, but the average player might get confused.