Sign in to follow this  
Animus123

When will DD ps3 online multiplayer come back?

I used to have this game a while back and loved the online multiplayer, but then somthing happend to my account and had to delete it, a few days ago, i got the game back but i noticed that i couldnt play online multiplayer, any one know why?

DD PS3 online is dead. Gamespy servers got shut down. Way too costly to update the game to new servers for so few people most likely.

But there was something on pc version where they never got their moonbase update (or whatever it was idek) and then the whole community ranted and complained and then they got it. So I guess if there's an army of PS3 players then it's possible :/

I should've started my youtube channel long before this June. I probably would have more than 15 subs. If I get enough subs, I could lead them all to the forums so that we could create on massive thread complaining about everything in the world of Dungeon Defenders Console, but that may take some time. I'd be happy if you sub if you really want to (subtle advertisement xD).

Channel: pwner5012 Dungeon Defenders

@ihaschezbrgr quote:

But there was something on pc version where they never got their moonbase update (or whatever it was idek) and then the whole community ranted and complained and then they got it. So I guess if there's an army of PS3 players then it's possible :/

I should've started my youtube channel long before this June. I probably would have more than 15 subs. If I get enough subs, I could lead them all to the forums so that we could create on massive thread complaining about everything in the world of Dungeon Defenders Console, but that may take some time. I'd be happy if you sub if you really want to (subtle advertisement xD).

gl with that :D

@ihaschezbrgr quote:

Ahh well I have like 110 subs mostly from 1 dd vid. I am resetting on pc( I ended up getting h*lla hacked gear and it made the game boring) and I'll start making dd pc vids. Maybe I can get a few to sub to you to start your army xD( I used to love x360 before I got it for pc). Clutch Progidy gaming is my YT.

The big problem of updating the consoles is that it actually costs money.  The update to the PC, while costing some dev time, doesnt cost Trendy to update unlike consoles.  So you may also need to raise $15k to get it updated from what someone has posted elsewhere.  Good luck in your endeavor to do that.  I know how it feels when the game you so much enjoy is no longer getting the support you desire.

If you want to play online, I think PB posted in a thread one time with instructions on how several people might be able to play together.

I know PB posted that thread, and I asked him for the exact details and his response is pending...or he secretly wants to stay away from the pwner5012 virus. I think one of the steps requires to send the people you want to play with the ip address of the proxy server so um....my parents might flip their excrement a little :/

And also, if it did cost money, how much did it cost to update pc? And didn't they have to pay a fair amount of money for that moonbase or whatever the map is? Just want to know for comparison purposes.

Edit: When you say 'update console' do you mean both xbox and ps3 or just one system?! Because then it could possibly be 30k....jebus.

My understanding is it is per console. So probably around 30k. Again that is based on what others have said here on the forums. The PC doesn't have a cost like that. It is free to update on the PC. Only cost trendy some developer time. 

I never claim to have all knowledge on topics I don't have 100% knowledge in but last I heard they stopped charging patch fees ages ago for xbox. Obviously they have staffing fees but as far as I'm aware they scrapped the submission fee years ago. Although I own Xbox, PS and PC versions of the game xbox was my main feeding ground so I don't follow the other two so much. I haven't been active within the community for sometime but if things are the same as they were 2 years ago, console DD ain't ever getting any attention whatsoever.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-26-microsoft-no-longer-charges-developers-to-patch-their-xbox-360-games

@AFreakinCabbag3 quote:

I never claim to have all knowledge on topics I don't have 100% knowledge in but last I heard they stopped charging patch fees ages ago for xbox. Obviously they have staffing fees but as far as I'm aware they scrapped the submission fee years ago. Although I own Xbox, PS and PC versions of the game xbox was my main feeding ground so I don't follow the other two so much. I haven't been active within the community for sometime but if things are the same as they were 2 years ago, console DD ain't ever getting any attention whatsoever.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-26-microsoft-no-longer-charges-developers-to-patch-their-xbox-360-games

"Phil Fish" Oh god please no, I can only handle so much whining and complaining. On top of the fact that he is hardly a reliable source for anything.

Anyways, I never heard about the Microsoft one, that is nice to hear. AFAIK, Sony is only giving free updates on the PS4. It's still really expensive for PS3.

@curtisgk quote:

"Phil Fish" Oh god please no, I can only handle so much whining and complaining. On top of the fact that he is hardly a reliable source for anything.

Anyways, I never heard about the Microsoft one, that is nice to hear. AFAIK, Sony is only giving free updates on the PS4. It's still really expensive for PS3.

https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/350367972101066754

Better?

If PS3 Update costs so much money (It might even cost more considering you'd have to put online back up), I'm guessing that you can make it back if you charge people to buy the game and the dlc's all over again. I started my youtube two months ago and have 16 subs, 14 of which play DD. Considering I'll only get more subs over time and there are those modders/glitchers that are lurking out there, you can possibly get 15k from us. Plus there are new people joining, since one person joined my channel saying "I'm a lv11 please help me".

And since Cabbag3 proved that xbox is free, perhaps you can make a free update with maybe even a lil bit of maintenance, then move take some of that money and fund for a ps3 update. Those are my ideas. I'm only 15 and what im saying could have a reason to absolutely not work, so correct me if there is no way that this can work. But I love Dungeon Defenders for console version and im sure many others love it too, but just aren't on the forums.

It is not within the community team's power to update the console versions of the game. We can only impact the PC version, unfortunately.

@ihaschezbrgr quote:

Wait, really?!?!?! How?!?!?

Console versions got their updates from lv70-lv90 and got their eternia shards.....so I have no idea...

PS3 eventually got the really blunt end of DD, I started out on PS3 and was very active on the forums, so was my father, though I was more active till he went to PC and I took a break. I would love to see PS3 get updated to having online again, would give me a reason to fix my PS3s YLOD instead of just playing my PS2s since I only have PS2 games outside of DD. 

In fact, I love PS3 DD so much I bought the game a couple months ago for the console since I was account jumping off my father before completely knowing the game has no online activity capable anymore. I constantly reference the PS3 version in the DDRnG chat as well since I love the App, he was the strongest character on PS3 for DPS, and apparently on PC he is the weakest. 

Alas though, I don't know the numbers of people still playing or that would come back to see if it is worth starting a fund raiser and saving up to get the game back to its glory days before supers and modders destroyed online in its final days.

I would say there are quite a few people who would come back. Such as (gonna list some PSNs) Chelseaxoxo, SantosVasquez, Uncle_Vern, PLAGUED_savage a.k.a. reyrey. And then I know more weaker people that may have never been heard of, such as Makesbabe (she actually has a lv90 huntress but I haven't seen or heard of her other characters), OovleDude, and DarkSouls910. So...yeah, quite a few. I'm pretty sure that you have friends and so do all of the people I mentioned and all of my subs and all the people they know and yadie yadie yada.

But a fundraiser? It's would be difficult. I would have to track people to this thread and pay even more money than they already paid for this game, just to have something that they had before. Kind of sad. But it may just be the only way. :/

There would be ongoing costs associated with a master server, and we'd (the community dev team) have to update the ps3 version of the game to point to that master server- something we can not do as we don't have access to the console versions to update them.

@Alhanalem quote:

There would be ongoing costs associated with a master server, and we'd (the community dev team) have to update the ps3 version of the game to point to that master server- something we can not do as we don't have access to the console versions to update them.

I'm sorry, but I'm sort of technologically retarded. So you need the master server (does this provide the online?) to connect to the PS3 and you would need to fund it continually, but you're saying you can't do that since you don't have access to the PS3. How? Is it that online went down? What happened when the game was being created....how did you hook it up then? Idek....help..

If you want all of the content, I would suggest switching to the PC version if you can since it is probably the only way to get it.  However I understand sticky with something you are used to and have enjoyed.  If you do switch, there are many that are willing to help you get going.  I have know many console players who switched to PC and really enjoyed it.

Okay, here is the story in a very big and long nutshell.

The master server is a machine that keeps track of all the games that people host and puts them in the game list when people look for games. It was run by a company called GameSpy, who also handled matchmaking and master server lists for dozens of games (Including every game on Nintendo's WiFi Connection service). A few years ago GameSpy was bought out by another company, who shut their services down, resulting in the termination of online multiplayer support for dozens of games, including Dungeon Defenders (on PS3 and the DRM-Free PC version).  Without this master server, your game has no way to know who is hosting games or how to connect to them. In short: it makes online play on the console impossible.

In order to replace this we would need to recreate the master server software (something the CDT is probably not capable of), set up a server to run it (which costs money to set up and costs money to maintain), and also update the PS3 game so it knows where to find this new master server (Which is also beyond our power to accomplish). On top of this, Microsoft and Sony charge a substantial sum of money to certify game updates before they can be released. This is why Trendy ultimately stopped patching the console versions before the PC version, because it cost too much to make more patches. It cost them nothing other than labor to make PC patches, and more people were on the PC version, which made it more economical for them to patch that instead.

That brings us to now, where the Community Development Team was formed, to allow new stuff, fixes, etc to continue for Dungeon Defenders on PC, since Trendy is focused on their sequel at this time. While we have the power to do quite a lot with Dungeon Defenders on PC, we have no access to the things needed to update console versions.

(So keep in mind while it's cheaper for you to buy a playstation or xbox, it costs developers more to make and update games for them than it does for PC games)

Ah...I get it.

Edit: Is it possible to find another company just like Gamespy? Gamespy in the way you described it was unique and complicated, but I would think that there is another company out there. But then again, there would be all the work that goes with it (finding them, making deals with them, etc). It would be easier than having to create it yourself....but money.

@ihaschezbrgr quote:

Ah...I get it.

Edit: Is it possible to find another company just like Gamespy? Gamespy in the way you described it was unique and complicated, but I would think that there is another company out there. But then again, there would be all the work that goes with it (finding them, making deals with them, etc). It would be easier than having to create it yourself....but money.

There are other hosting services, obviously they're using a different one for DD2 and DDE, but it still requires patching and it still requires them to set up a new server (Gamespy did a lot of that work for you). The Steam version of the game wasn't affected by this because it uses Steam's community servers (But this is also why you get kicked off whenever steam goes down for maintenance), which is why the PC version doesn't need this fix.

So it's really the same two problems: Patching a console version and, like you said, money. And obviusly, not that many people are buying ps3 download titles these days, so they can't justify the cost. It's simple economics really: Why pay $5k for Sony to approve a patch when doing so probably won't net them $5k in new sales? (numbers made up by me, but are in the ballpark) It's not financially sound.

The cost to put out an update on PC is tiny by comparison, because there's no overseeing body to get in the way. On steam, developers are wholly responsible for what they release, Steam's only oversight (as far as I know) is before the game is initially put on steam.

Unfortunately, PS3 DD is just one example of many games that have had multiplayer service end. The one difference being Trendy didn't consciously decide to end it, a third party was the cause.