Sign in to follow this  
mokn

The price of upgrading items seems wrong.

@› Rabid Lemming quote:

@Zuqual quote:

Currently, upgrading items is the only reason to want gold.  When trading between players is implemented, there will need to be a high demand for gold to incentivize the trading of gear from high ipwr players to lower ipwr players.  Absent a high cost on upgrading gear, players will have no reason to sell items for gold and will instead only trade items for other items.  Currently, there is not enough variety in gear types or gear stats to support item for item trading.

In isolation, the gold costs may be too steep.  In the future context of a more developed player economy, they need to be steep.

Nobody will be paying the millions of gold needed to upgrade items in exchange for an item upgrade. Nobody even has lots of gold unless they 100% avoid upgrading anything. The system currently drains every bit of gold and leaves everyone needing more. You can't trade items for what people don't have.

Do you not remember how many hours we all farmed to earn coal to spawn a single diamond? It takes time to build up a pile of gold. It will eventually happen. As of right now, I don't see an issue, I don't want all of my gear to be upgraded in the first day I play the game.

I don't remember because the game became too much of a massive mana grind at end game. I don't plan on dedicating the rest of my life to farming out millions and millions of gold to upgrade just a couple items.

@Kyrn quote:
Snip ...

Personally, I don't see an issue with this sort of progression. Mind if you explain what your issue is with it?

(don't forget that before lv 50, items have far less levels, so it isn't exorbitantly expensive to max them)

BlaydeX15 summed it up pretty much here. In Summary, the chance to get max upgrades will take an extremely long time in it's current state, perhaps even beyond a DLC.

On a personal level, going from level 1 - 50 and fusing items beyond the initial 130g - 275 first time has NOT been an option for me due to the limited funding involved relative to the item worth (stats, ipwr, RNG, etc). I would love to take advantage of the Fuse system more than I have and currently it simply is not an option due to limited gold constraints.

Edited:

Sadly this leaves Fusing to an End Game option more than anything else, this is where I see the flaw.

@› Rabid Lemming quote:

I don't remember because the game became too much of a massive mana grind at end game. I don't plan on dedicating the rest of my life to farming out millions and millions of gold to upgrade just a couple items.

You may be right about that. I don't have that kind of time either.

@nuzo quote:

@Kyrn quote:
Snip ...

Personally, I don't see an issue with this sort of progression. Mind if you explain what your issue is with it?

(don't forget that before lv 50, items have far less levels, so it isn't exorbitantly expensive to max them)

BlaydeX15 summed it up pretty much here. In Summary, the chance to get max upgrades will take an extremely long time in it's current state, perhaps even beyond a DLC.

On a personal level, going from level 1 - 50 and fusing items beyond the initial 130g - 275 first time has NOT been an option for me due to the limited funding involved relative to the item worth (stats, ipwr, RNG, etc). I would love to take advantage of the Fuse system more than I have and currently it simply is not an option due to limited gold constraints.

Edited:

Sadly this leaves Fusing to an End Game option more than anything else, this is where I see the flaw.

Well, lv 20+ grinding IS an End Game thing, since lv 20+ gear only exist on end game equipment to begin with.

@Kyrn quote:
Well, lv 20+ grinding IS an End Game thing, since lv 20+ gear only exist on end game equipment to begin with.

This is all Semantics friend ... According to Trendy's Logic , End Game Maps unlock currently once you reach Level 50 with your first character.

Side Note:

This will be my last post in this thread, I feel like this topic is revolving in a difference of opinions and I Respect your opinion Kyrn and everyone's elses in this matter. Thank you for your input in this topic, I value the time you've taken to reply to these posts!

Cheers!

@nuzo quote:

@Kyrn quote:

This is all Semantics friend ... According to Trendy's Logic , End Game Maps unlock currently once you reach Level 50 with your first character.

Side Note:

This will be my last post in this thread, I feel like this topic is revolving in a difference of opinions and I Respect your opinion Kyrn and everyone's elses in this matter. Thank you for your input in this topic, I value the time you've taken to reply to these posts!

Cheers!

Yes. And at that point, you aren't getting lv 20+ gear to begin with; I believe they're at minimum Nightmare and beyond gear, since I'm currently wearing Endgame Hard mode gear and those don't break 15 levels yet.

No it's not easy to earn. 

BTW pet 25 to 45 costs 10 million gold and there's another upgrade level after that. I'd say they will add items to their paid store to upgrade pets and items and that'll be the only viable way unless you used to be a gold farmer.

It's too big an investment and people won't buy new pet skins unless they can transfer the exp.

Most people also have 4 chars.

@mokn quote:

BTW pet 25 to 45 costs 10 million gold and there's another upgrade level after that. I'd say they will add items to their paid store to upgrade pets and items and that'll be the only viable way unless you used to be a gold farmer.

No, let's not make this game pay-to-win.

@mokn quote:

No it's not easy to earn. 

It's too big an investment and people won't buy new pet skins unless they can transfer the exp.

Most people also have 4 chars.

I think the pet food costs were tuned for when gold was super easy to get and it was something that escaped their notice. I would like the costs to follow a trend where the first evolution is cheap so you can get pets to 10 easily. Make the next evolution cost more and so on. Right now leveling pets seems like a chore and not fun.

Easy break down Numbers would have to be tweaked so they feel good without being to easy or grindy

1-10       100k gold

10-25     250k - 500k gold 

25-45     750k - 1million gold

Those of you in support of keeping it as is consider this... Trendy can never allow trading with other players if they keep the gold grind this steep. Why? Chinese gold farmers will move in and supply for cash what people don't want to grind. It will become a 100% pay to win system where only those that could afford to drop cash on the gold farmers earn the best upgraded gear. Of course with gold farmers comes spam advertisements for buying the gold. If you played any other MMO you probably know what I'm talking about. Can't go more than 2 minutes without getting your chat box packed with spam about buying gold.

If the grind for gold is reasonable for upgrading gear then it wont be viable for farmers to make money off of. If the grind is left as is then a trading system will be nothing but trouble.

Bad people will do bad things is not a good excuse to do anything other than prepare to counter them. By your same logic we shouldn't do anything ever because some unethical person will come and screw it up.

@› Rabid Lemming quote:

Those of you in support of keeping it as is consider this... Trendy can never allow trading with other players if they keep the gold grind this steep. Why? Chinese gold farmers will move in and supply for cash what people don't want to grind. It will become a 100% pay to win system where only those that could afford to drop cash on the gold farmers earn the best upgraded gear. Of course with gold farmers comes spam advertisements for buying the gold. If you played any other MMO you probably know what I'm talking about. Can't go more than 2 minutes without getting your chat box packed with spam about buying gold.

If the grind for gold is reasonable for upgrading gear then it wont be viable for farmers to make money off of. If the grind is left as is then a trading system will be nothing but trouble.

@Hecate quote:

Bad people will do bad things is not a good excuse to do anything other than prepare to counter them. By your same logic we shouldn't do anything ever because some unethical person will come and screw it up.

@› Rabid Lemming quote:

No developer has ever countered them with any success. The best way to prevent it is to not invite trouble.

I wouldn't be so sure about not having any success.  Sure, no developer has managed to banish them completely.  But do we really know how bad the situation would be in any particular game if the developer was not taking any action against gold spammers?