Defense Speed/Build Creation Idea Barn

Hello Everyone!

As many of you who watched our Devstream today heard, there has been a great misunderstanding about our plans for Defense Speed. We have no intention of removing the ability for players to improve speed on defenses. We just needed to remove the global secondary stat that impacted all of your Hero's defenses. Why the need for this - it created a single decision point that limited our ability to create unique builds that players can choose between.

While we know we don't have the depth of choice we want right now (e.g. people saying "Defense Power is the only important stat, etc.”), we can’t head that direction with Defense Speed as a secondary stat, serving as a global multiplier, which we talk about during the first 30 minutes of the Devstream. Right now, one of our Creative Directors, Dan Haddad (or Blacksmith to many of you), is working on the next batch of Passives/Skill Spheres/etc. that will introduce Defense Speed into the game in a more controlled manner. Our goal is to allow players the option to improve defense speed,and other similar stats, throughout their level experience (1 - 50 and beyond) if they so choose. This is also why we don't want to add a Defense Speed modifier to defense upgrade levels or Hero Level; we want this to be a fun choice you can make in how you customize your Hero through Gear and Skill Spheres, one where you can SEE your Hero's progression how you want.

And this isn't just limited to Defense Speed. We are planning to add even more depth to things like like tower range, aura size improvements, and much more. For example, imagine a way to double the size of your Boost Aura specifically, while reducing the Aura’s total health as a balancing point.

With all this in mind, and since Blacksmith is working on the first batch of these changes RIGHT NOW (he’s still here late on a Friday night), we'd love to get suggestions on what you may like to see. Remember, our goal is to create different build options for players that can grow from the beginning of the game all the way through end-game, not one end-all build that everyone eventually gravitates towards.

So can you help us? Blacksmith and I will be reading this forum daily, and hope to have an update to all of you sometime next week. I really look forward to all your ideas, and can't wait to get these updates out to you!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it would be interesting to be able to sphere to change the behavior of towers.  For example; change a magic tower to physical, or an AG tower to AA, etc...  Something that further increases the amount of customizability, and individuality.

It appears that there is a current meta against gear that rolls decent numbers for both defense power and defense health, instead giving one a strong value and the other a poor value.  At the same time it appears there is a much heavier drop rate on gear with player damage.

Please increase the odds of getting decent defense power and defense health stats on the same item.

Grant a little speed each level, and add an ability to each character to spend blue mana to increase tower speed by X % for X seconds. Spheres to change speed could work also, but a general tuning to towers overall would alleviate a lot of the speed issues. More spheres (ubers perhaps) that change core functionality, I cannot recall where, but someone suggested a shrapnel sphere for the cannonball tower so it can aoe. 

% chance for cannonball to pierce or % chance for cannonball to explode on contact

% chance for skyguard tower to do X% additional as physical

% chance to double shot on ballista

% chance to heal x% and taunt nearby enemies on target dummy

% chance to leave a pool of poison on the ground on poison dart tower

% chance to instantly reset on blaze balloon

Some potentially interesting passives i was thinking about.

Many of these need to mix and max, one of them in an uber slot and another on a large (or an item?).

Apprentice:

Mana Bomb heals you for % of the damage dealt.
One of the issues of using it is the need to be placed well but still near several enemies, so getting some health back is nice.
Mana Bomb casts faster.
Mana Bomb deals the normal damage and also applies a dot/slow.

Mana Bomb no longer deals damage, instead it gives a shield to friendly towers in range.
Mana Bomb consumes 250 mana; it no longer deals damage, instead it buffs friendly towers in range with some sort of damage increase.

Tornado No longer knocks up, and nolonger hits enemies. Allies hit by Tornado have their magical resistances greatly increase for X seconds.

Ice Tower Thingy now hits 3 targets instead of one. Its range is much shorter.

Squire:

Sword Beam -  Each fourth auto attack in a row casts a wide sword beam that deals XYZ damages.
Sword Beam - When hitting flying enemies, this spell chains to other nearby flying enemies .

Seismic Slam - No longer deals damage, instead it buffs nearby allies with extra physical resistance and Hp per second (not stackable with other seismic slams, it just refreshes the current effect).

Ballista - Also applies a bleed effect (physical damage DOT).

Cannonball Tower - Lower single target damage, but now it  cleaves (deals some % of its damage to enemies near the target).

Barricade - After being hit by 10 harpoons, it reflects other harpoons for the next 3 seconds.

Training Dummy - Costs 100 mana. No longer deals damage, instead it speeds up monsters on it's closest lane. (Because some people gotta go fast!)

Instead of having uber that changes your first tower from aoe to single or single to aoe.  I suggest another uber that can let you go aoe to better aoe or single to better single target.

@Siekobily quote:

I think it would be interesting to be able to sphere to change the behavior of towers.  For example; change a magic tower to physical, or an AG tower to AA, etc...  Something that further increases the amount of customizability, and individuality.

I thought of a magic to phy or phy to magic already,but than i realize that mean u will only need 1 class instead of 4 different class and lower diversity. 

@Resident decoy quote:

Grant a little speed each level, and add an ability to each character to spend blue mana to increase tower speed by X % for X seconds. Spheres to change speed could work also, but a general tuning to towers overall would alleviate a lot of the speed issues. More spheres (ubers perhaps) that change core functionality, I cannot recall where, but someone suggested a shrapnel sphere for the cannonball tower so it can aoe. 

The squire uber does aoe, but i dont suggest buying it. It slow, misses alot, and does poor dmg.

@SGRock quote:

It appears that there is a current meta against gear that rolls decent numbers for both defense power and defense health, instead giving one a strong value and the other a poor value.  At the same time it appears there is a much heavier drop rate on gear with player damage.

Please increase the odds of getting decent defense power and defense health stats on the same item.

I've also noticed this actually. A lot of the totem and pendent trinkets also have a habit just going all out on one, or roll stats the reward thing from the start says they shouldn't have

Honestly, I don't like seeing rate and range leaving their position as primary stats.  It just makes the game dull gearing wise.  I would rather have a plethora of abilities to pick from for primaries with gear dropping 3-4 of these stats (similar to DD1), with one stat being the "main" stat (similar to how relics function now).  That way, you could have your items prioritize speed as their main stat, but your other stats would always be significantly less.  If you want to solve the "brokenness" of range and rate, I have a few suggestions.

-Grant diminishing returns on crowd control effects, similar to how WoW handles them.  In WoW, let's say you use a fear spell on an enemy for crowd control, and it lasts a good amount of time.  The next time you cast a fear spell within a certain period, the duration will be shorter with each sequential cast.  Eventually, they become immune to it altogether.  This avoids spamming CC, as they are always a temporary solution while not making them useless (like current combos now).  With a system like this, the geyser combo would never be an "indefinite wall" that breaks the game, since the mobs would get over the combo and move on, while still making the combo desirable.

-Have range and rate behave under thresholds.  It's a little hard to explain, but I think ultimately it would make the game rather kickass.  Take rate for example.  Let's say you get your rate up until (I'm putting in arbitrary stats here since I don't know what endgame loot drops) 1000, which improves the speed of towers up until a point.  Once you go over this, you've reached the next threshold level, causing your towers to behave different, such as firing a second shot at the original unmodified rate.  From there, more rate causes this "double shot" to fire faster, up until another point (which would be exponentially higher than the previous one), giving it a third shot and so on and so forth.  Assuming you do not implement stat inflation, an ideal situation would make the first threshold reachable, and a second threshold take heavy investment (with a third threshold either impossible or so difficult you'd need to invest everything you possibly could to get it).  Range could be very easy to fix, like having the distance a projectile travels decrease the damage it does over time (and then having a special stat that inverse this for some really awesome sniper towers, thanks to [[31834,users]] for that idea), or making auras deal more damage the closer they are to the center, and less damage the further from it.

With a final note, I don't think Trendy should be afraid of "imbalance".  I'm not saying that things should be obviously broken, but if you keep trying to force in perfect balance, your game is going to be horribly dull.  Don't be afraid to let us have some FUN doing absurd and crazy things with our builds.  Let things get crazy and wonky, we're in pre-alpha after all, this is the time to experiment!

@TheCrimsonTea quote:

Many of these need to mix and max, one of them in an uber slot and another on a large (or an item?).

Apprentice:

Mana Bomb heals you for % of the damage dealt.
One of the issues of using it is the need to be placed well but still near several enemies, so getting some health back is nice.
Mana Bomb casts faster.
Mana Bomb deals the normal damage and also applies a dot/slow.

Mana Bomb no longer deals damage, instead it gives a shield to friendly towers in range.
Mana Bomb consumes 250 mana; it no longer deals damage, instead it buffs friendly towers in range with some sort of damage increase.

Tornado No longer knocks up, and nolonger hits enemies. Allies hit by Tornado have their magical resistances greatly increase for X seconds.

Ice Tower Thingy now hits 3 targets instead of one. Its range is much shorter.

Squire:

Sword Beam -  Each fourth auto attack in a row casts a wide sword beam that deals XYZ damages.
Sword Beam - When hitting flying enemies, this spell chains to other nearby flying enemies .

Seismic Slam - No longer deals damage, instead it buffs nearby allies with extra physical resistance and Hp per second (not stackable with other seismic slams, it just refreshes the current effect).

Ballista - Also applies a bleed effect (physical damage DOT).

Cannonball Tower - Lower single target damage, but now it  cleaves (deals some % of its damage to enemies near the target).

Barricade - After being hit by 10 harpoons, it reflects other harpoons for the next 3 seconds.

Training Dummy - Costs 100 mana. No longer deals damage, instead it speeds up monsters on it's closest lane. (Because some people gotta go fast!)

2 of ur suggestion is already on an uber. The sheild for tower is the uber for monk hero and the cannon aoe is on the squire tower uber already.

First the itempassive +%Boost on relics should work properly since the boost aura already nerved as hell and the passive isn't working at all! I got a +19%Boost relic and the bonus damage stay 100% the same?!

Some suggestions for the monk:

- Boost aura now slows the enemies and don't give defense power boost

- senetry aura applies instead of healing a debuff for the enemies resistenses

- chi Blast no longer pushes enemies away instead of that it pulls all enemies to the monk

still garbage idea consider the only way of getting speed is on sphere, and its going to be a multiplier, no one is going to ignore that and pick something else. This makes the game 1 dimension.

Although unrelated, give us more uber slots, right now the uber is boring and for ability uber you cannot change it in combat phase, which means owning more skill uber skill =/= more useful. But owning more tower uber means your hero is more flexible in building. This just feels like another way of gimping dps heroes. 

What Valthejean said is something I quite agree with. *Going off topic slightly* There are many builds in Diablo 3 that are considered broken and deal too much damage or provide more sustainability. However, instead of nerfing a player's option to build or limit what they want to play as, they created a system that expands on more options and make them comparable AS WELL AS creating challenges that fit the needs of the players.

Although Trendy is not Blizzard, it could take some time to learn from what they have accomplished since their poor start with Diablo 3.

*Going back on topic* DD1 was enjoyable because it was crazy and had many moments where I would wonder why you guys would give us the option to build a laser turret of death and then I get wiped, laugh, and play again. Would I love for it to be "imbalanced", of course, but within reason.

Now for suggestions: 
Squire:
Cannonball TurretGooey Balls -  Damages enemies for a 1/4 less and slows down the damaged target
Cannonball Turret - Oh My Fifty - X% chance to damage two enemies (or more) for 50% of total damage
Cannonball Turret - Yohohoho - No longer shoots at targets directly, not fires an AoE aerial shot that does 25% damage at targets within its range.
Cannonball Turret - Thousand Sunny! - Fire rate is severely reduced (Crazy! I know right) and instead fires a golden large cannonball that does 500% damage with a higher chance to crit.
Cannonball TurretProximity Alert - Has a larger range and attack speed increases depending on how close the enemy is to it. (Probably from 3 seconds a shot at far range to 0.5 right up close and personal)
Ballista - Ye Olde' Days - X%(0-5, most likely) chance to fire a steady stream of ballistas at an enemy until it perishes
BallistaCaffeinated Shots - Fires at a 250% attack rate, but takes X amount of damage per shot. When it reaches 25% health, the ballista fires at 50% firing rate and no longer takes any damage.
Training Dummy - Right Round, Like a Record - Enemies no longer take damage from the training dummy, but get spun around and randomly thrown in a direction after 2 seconds.
Training Dummy - You the Dummy! - Enemies who get hit by the training dummy have a chance to attack their own teammates for 2 seconds.

Apprentice:
Flameburst Tower - Chicken! - Enemies have an X% chance on hit to flee from this tower.
Flameburst Tower - Burnt to a Crisp - Flameburst tower has a chance to deal 200% more damage to an enemy
Flameburst Tower - Icy Hot - Whenever a flameburst tower attacks an enemy who has been chilled, it immediately stuns them for 2 seconds. (Cause you know, they are relaxed and ***)
• Magical Barrier - YOU SHALL NOT PASS! - Barrier is no longer a solid shield but a short AoE burst that pushes back enemies at a set interval. It loses 1% life with every burst.
Magical Barrier - Bag of Holding - Has a chance to absorb an enemy for an X amount of time OR the ability to add that enemy's health to their own. (Second one is probably too crazy)
Frost Tower - Let it Go - After chilling an enemy for 2 seconds, the enemy rushes forward dealing damage to itself and the next object or enemy it hits.
• Frost Tower - Ice Ice baby - Upon attacking an enemy, it has an X% chance to shrink the enemy in size reducing its speed, attack, and health. Frost tower has significantly shorter range.
• Frost Tower - Snow White - Instead of freezing a single target, it becomes an untargetable AoE (similar to lightning auras) that slows enemies.

Monk:
• AA Tower
- Houston We Have a Problem - Has a chance upon hit to reign down a bunch of bombs upon enemies and towers below. (Similar to the Huntress's Legendary Betsy Bow)
AA Tower - And a Hero Was Born - AA Tower has a chance to also provide a temporary boost to towers within its range increasing their attack speed by X%.
Lightning Aura - Hazardous Materials - Lightning aura also/or now does poison damage to enemies.
Lightning Aura - Static Discharge - Has a chance for enemies to also electrocute other enemies next to them for X% of damage taken
Lightning Aura - Zeus! - Has a chance to rain down a lightning bolt on enemies within the aura to do 350% damage and stun them for 2 seconds
Boost Aura - Support The Front Lines! - Boost aura now triples all walls within its sphere and provides static healing.
Boost Aura - Whispers and Secrets! - Boost aura greatly lowers its radius to provide 3x the amount of buffs to towers within its influence.
Boost Aura - I'm The Captain Now! - Boost aura now marks an enemy and all cannons in its influence will attack the enemy and deal 50% more damage to it. Can mark multiple enemies as its upgraded.

Just some ideas to bounce around the floor for now.

I have a weird idea regarding a Squire wacking a tower in order to increase it´s Defense Speed.

Basically this would only effect one tower and it would require a Squire to hit the tower with his normal auto attack, it could stack up to 2-3 times, once the squire stops hitting the tower, the defense speed bonus starts dropping till it reaches 0.

This could have other applications besides defense speed like increasing range for example but it demands that the player dedicates himself to that particular turret/turrets.

Created a gif to demonstrate it, the Squire hits 2 times, which makes the turret attack at a much faster rate, notice how the fire rate goes down as soon as the squire stops hitting it.

d1nDxyw.gif

I was hoping I'd see a thread like this come along :)

Right now the entire stat system is in complete disarray; there's no organization to it, no reason or rhyme as to why certain mechanics are stats, skill spheres, or special stats. I'd like to see a system that fixes that.

• Weapons determine how you as a hero deal damage. For example, the Betsy weapons contain unique ways to deal additional damage. Basically give every map a weapon that gives players alternative ways to deal damage. All victory chests would contain one of these weapons in varying quality. Some ideas include:
    - A ranged weapon that is guaranteed to rain grenades on enemies, dealing the equivalent of a primary arrow per grenade
    - A single target weapon (huntress, monk secondary, app primary) that starts at %50 damage, but as you attack the same target again and again it deals +10% damage until a cap of 150% damage. Switching targets resets the bonus.
    - A ranged weapon that starts at 50% damage point-blank, and increases in effectiveness the further you are from your target to a maximum of 150% damage
    - Standing near flameburst towers light your arrows ablaze
    All of these mechanics can apply to any item power, and would have niche situations in order to capitalize on their effectiveness. This would effectively bring back map rewards, give us the alternative hero play styles we've been looking for, and make victory chests not suck.
  • Stats on gear would provide how you choose to specialize. Every piece of gear would have one from each point:
    - Physical resistance, Magical resistance, or hero health: Determines how you take and survive damage. If you REALLY wanted to get adventurous, introduce a 3rd enemy resistance type in nightmare that would be defense neutral but require the player to balance that type when tanking enemies.
    - Hero Ability Power or Defense Ability Power: Determines how you run interference with enemies. Defense Ability Power means that when you use abilities on a defense, they inherit the ability you apply to them for a short amount of time. This provides players with the option to either jump into the fray and use abilities directly on enemies, or have a more passive playstyle and use abilities on defenses to eradicate enemies. Both would be equally viable, but have differing playstyles.
    - Hero Damage or Defense Damage: Determines your overall speciality as a character. You can be an active builder since you could still use abilities viably in combat, particularly defense abilities if you prefer to stay out of the fray.
    - If Defense Damage rolls of a piece of gear, give it a defense specialization trait: There are 6 traits you can choose from:
         - Warhammer: Defenses deal drastically more powerful hits but do so much slower.
         - Fencer: Defenses shoot drastically faster, but do so dealing less damage per hit.
         - Melee: Defenses deal drastically more damage, but range is compacted.
         - Berserk: Defenses shoot drastically faster, but range is compacted.
         - Sniper: Defenses have incredibly increased range, but attack rate is lessened.
         - Slingshot: Defenses have incredibly increased range, but deal less damage.
    Defense Specialization traits would start appearing on gear at around level 25-30, after you're comfortable with how each of your defenses operate, but would only be in small amounts (+10% damage, -10% attack rate) and only on legendary gear. As you progress into the 30's, specialization traits would become more common until level 50 when they're on basically everything. The highest iPWR legendaries late game would have the most drastic spec stats; doubling traits while halving others. Stacking all 4 gear slots with the same spec trait would yield an 8x multipler on a spec while giving a 1/8th multiplier on another. For example, you would have cannons that shot 8x as fast but each shot would only be 1/8th the damage, or you'd have electric auras with 8x the range but would tick 1/8th the time. This creates unique builds where stacking traits could be combined in unique ways; a cannon that was all about damage but no range would obliterate enemies who got close to your walls, while explosive traps with an increase of range could hit enemies in multiple lanes because their range was so big. Some defenses would require a bit of tuning, but I'll get to that in a sec.
  • All current special stats (besides weapon ones) would be moved to skill spheres. These provide additional utility beyond what hero/defense specialization provide.

So in short, weapons become utility sidegrades in victory chests that specialize in how we deal damage (sorta like weapons in TF2 but with item power). Gear lets us specialize how we want our hero to perform, and skill spheres determine our extra utilities we want to use. Note that the following would be removed:

• Defense Crit Chance and Hero Crit Chance: For reals, I'm telling you guys there's no way to properly balance this. Just remove it as a stat altogether and leave it as a static number.
  • Defense Crit Damage and Hero Crit Damage: These could probably work as skill spheres, but not stats. If they did work as stats, crit damage would have to be CRAZY huge to be viable in combat. Like, enough to when the tower crits to deal more damage than defense power would consistently put out.
  • Defense Health: Call me a heretic, but having a stat that is useful for a single defense out of a character's arsenal is silly. If I'm a character specced toward defenses, I would think that all my defenses should be viable. Instead, I propose that tangible defenses have health tied to defense power, while non-tangible defenses (like traps and auras) have trap charges that scale with defense power alongside their attack speed bonuses; Fencer and Berserk would get a lot more charges, while warhammer and sniper would get less.

That right there would be my ideal stat system. Now, how would each defense interact with the defense specialization traits?

• Cannon: Damage, attack speed, and range can all be given plus/minus traits. The cannon is fairly balanced right now in terms of damage and DU.
  • Ballista: Damage, attack speed, and range can all be given plus/minus traits. My only recommendation is to make it equal to cannon damage, but it is offset with the fact that it costs 50DU instead of 30.
  • Spike Blockade: Range would not make sense, so any defense specialization stats would be transferred to a mixture between damage and attack speed.
  • Training Dummy: This defense is seriously an enigma. The best way to handle this defense is by increasing its damage bit by bit until players start using it alongside spike blockades.
  • Flameburst: Damage, attack speed, and range can all be given plus/minus traits. It's fairly balanced as well.
  • Arcane Barrier: This defense needs a way to compete with the spike blockade; right now its biggest detractor is the fact that it loses aggro when it detonates, allowing enemies past. I'd like to see the ability for this defense to reflect projectiles and remove the detonation trait so it has 100% uptime. Defense spec traits would not apply to this defense, as range is not applicable, and detonations are based on damage taken.
  • Earthshatter: All defense specs apply here, but several fundamental changes must be made for this thing to be viable; 1) drastically increase damage; 2) guarantee knockup 100% of the time. To prevent permastun, make enemies move forward on knockup so instead of bobbing up and down in the same place, they'd be bobbing up and down while moving towards objectives. Advantageous for skyguards and crowd control, disadvantageous for traps, projectile aiming, and jumping over walls.
  • Frostbite: All defense specs can potentially apply here but again fundamental changes must be made. Instead of AoE slow, make it single target with guaranteed freeze, but the amount of slow and time to freeze are based on remaining enemy health. When the tower locks a beam onto the target, the enemies health bar starts turning blue starting from the left moving right. As the enemy loses health from other defenses and the frostbite increases the "frost damage", the target gets slower and slower until the blue part crosses health remaining - when this happens, the enemy is frozen solid, is prone to shatter, and the frostbite moves on to another target. This gives the frostbite tower "DPS"; while not actually doing damage, it increases its effectiveness making it so it freezes enemies faster. It would be most effective against small or injured enemies, as their health pool would be small. This would also make it an excellent alternative to skyguard towers for AA defense, as frozen enemies shatter when hitting the ground.
  • Explosive: All defense specs (damage, attack speed, range) apply. Trigger radius would scale right alongside damage radius if you specced in range.
  • Geyser: Similarly to the earthshatter tower, geysers would knock enemies up but the enemies would still move toward objectives. The defense's attacking animations would change to where each enemy would get their own mini-geyser from fissures in the ground generated by the trap, so it makes sense when increasing the range spec. Drenched enemies would grant a DPS increase to frostbite freezing capabilities.
  • Poison dart: At the moment this thing is terrible both from an art standpoint and a balance standpoint. The poison particle effect spam and damage tick spam looks atrocious, and the damage per DU is still horribly inefficient. Instead, I propose that 1) poison is permanent; 2) aggregates individual poison ticks into a single poison tick per second; and 3) starts at 50% DPS of a cannon, and if stacked enough times, reaches a max of 150% DPS of a cannon (would take quite a while to hit that point).
  • Blaze Balloon: I would actually propose making this a "pitch balloon" - we already have a lightning aura that deals AoE magic damage; there's really no need for another tower that does AoE damage but is more expensive and has downtime. If we'd be changing the frostbite to single target freeze, this would be an excellent time to change this defense to AoE slow.
  • Lightning aura: All defense specs (damage, attack speed, and range) would apply. I'd like to see all auras have the ability to overlap, but prevent them from stacking effectiveness. Stacking 5 lightning auras (or LSA's) gives them a bit too much utility - if they didn't stack I wouldn't mind a slight damage increase to make up for that.
  • Serenity aura: All defense specs would apply as well. One thing to change is that I'd rather see health increased additively and not on a percentage basis. Scaling percentages is the fastest way to break the game; DD1 and DDE taught us a pretty good lesson on that. Ever wonder why buff beams, ensnare auras, and strength drains were used in just about every build in nightmare? All of them were mechanics built on scaling percentages.
  • Boost aura: Tie effectiveness to the number of defenses it is boosting. If the boost aura is boosting a single tower, double its damage. If a boost aura is boosting 10 defenses, give each defense a 10% damage increase. The boost aura would only work if it was upgraded to the same tier as the defenses they are boosting, meaning a tier 2 cannon would not be boosted by a tier 1 boost aura. This makes the boost aura most effective at making excellently positioned defenses excel even further while not being a 100% required defense. Also since damage and attack speed don't apply, no defense specs would apply.
  • Skyguard: All defense specs apply. Seems to be in a solid place right now, and would see even more utility if geysers and earthshatters could consistently keep enemies flying.
  • Defense Uber spheres: Call me a heretic again, but save these defense reworks for new towers on new heroes. The fundamental mechanics behind the defenses change enough to where they might as well be considered a new tower, and what better place to put a new tower than on a new hero? With the defense specialization system, min-maxing defense traits gives us the exact defense customization we've been wanting - the uber sphere system tries to do this, but doesn't quite sit right for me. In fact, if you got rid of wyvern tokens altogether, I would not be sad to see them go. Locking uber spheres behind wyvern tokens is not a fun mechanic, and since ubers are the only thing in her shop (besides keys), might as well get rid of the shop altogether and move keys somewhere else. If you introduced the adept with a flamethrower tower, the chain lightning tower from DD1, a new barricade and another brand new defense, that would be AMAZING. Rinse and repeat for the initiate, countess, and ranger, and you've effectively doubled the number of heroes in the game and they'd all have their own unique defenses.

One other thing I'd like to touch on is the aspect of combos. The thing that was supposed to single-handedly make this game more awesome than any other tower defense game has been suffocated and nerfed into the ground:

• Electrocution is a measly one second stun.
  • Ignite is a minimal damage increase.
  • Shattering isn't even available until level 40, and even then it's too sporadic to be considered a viable strategy.

With the above changes I've proposed, this effectively brings combos back to where they should be.

• Electrocution should be brought back to 3-4 second stun for the first time, then a 5-second cooldown where they cannot be electrocuted.
  • With the pitch balloon, enemies can be reliably oiled and combo well with the flameburst tower. Ignite effectiveness would be in direct proportion to the defense power of the huntress who summon the pitch balloon.
  • Shattering is viable with the ability for the frostbite tower to guaranteed freeze again.

...And that's just the first half of my feedback. I'll be making another post tomorrow on how to make combat more exciting and challenging, while making both defenses and tower feel much more powerful.

Completing achievement to get bonus stats, like in DDE where completing story mode (or whatever that was) grant a little bit of hero health, hero damage or whatever.

I believe a single stat point is a good place to start for achievement.

Also I feel like ability Uber in the current system is rubbish. Not saying the system or the Ubers are bad on their own, but they are bad together. There is defense diversity, where a defense can be placed with the Uber and without. Sure enough, in a few more patches with these defense Ubers, and any given class would 8+ defense that is ready to be deployed for any situation. On the other hand, ability Uber can only be activated one at a time. Comparatively speaking, hero-centric build will have less choices and less diversity compared to defense-centric build. People will choose the safe uber, than to choose situational ability uber..

However if we have more Uber slots, players can customize their hero to their liking. I would suggest having 4 Uber slots, make it so a defense-centric hero would be about to distinguish themselves from others by all defense. Hero-centric build can have all 3 abilities changed plus an extra slot for whatever that they like. Also, have the defense replace its alternative once the Uber is switched out, so everyone will only have 4 types of defense useable at any given time (of course that means normalize LSA mana/DU cost, and possibly nerf its DPS). This will make sure that each additional hero, whether it is the same or not, will give the team more choices of defense.

More options for ability make it that both type of hero would enjoy the same type of diversity and customization options.

@crownclown quote:

@TheCrimsonTea quote:

2 of ur suggestion is already on an uber. The sheild for tower is the uber for monk hero and the cannon aoe is on the squire tower uber already.

The goal is instead of providing raw power, to allow different classes to change their towers to fit other roles besides the ones they already cover. It's pretty simple to just add damage and procs of damage effects imo, and that doesn't seem to be what they are after.

From what I have seen there is already a pet ability which shields your tower. It is not my pet so I cannot find out yet if it has a small radius or a large one. It would just be great if the same thing would be possible with speed, range and damage. The downside I see here is that some people might be doomed to stay still next to their towers using that pet ability.

My suggestions about ubers:

Squire

Cannibal Tower: heals itself for a small % of damage they do each shot (when they talk about the cannonball tower on the devstream I mostly understand cannibal tower anyway ^^)

Concussion Cannon: After the cannonball hits its target it explodes, firing some shrapnels which have a similar ability to the huntresss' concussion shot

It's on fire: Canonballs are now burning, do additional fire damage and ignite oiled enemies

Oil Dummy: Dummy splashes oil when being hit (sorry - but that is the only thing to make the dummy any useful in my opinion)

Bouncer: Barricade damage highly decreased, therefore it does knockback once enemies get in range

Huntress

Greasy Baloon: filled with oil instead of any fire-related stuff (as already be mentioned above)

Monk

Sloth Aura: electric aura does NO damage anymore but decreases enemy speed by x% (scales with defense power); color changes so people realize

Apprentice

Ice Bucket: Freeze Tower shoots ice cubes, doing averag damage and has a chance to stun enemies on hit

Any Hero

Scapegoat: Damage you take heals nearby defenses

I would love to see a large sphere for squire or a iteam that makes you're defense attack give a % damage reduction to you're blockades same with app

also something that would make the monk heal tower also heal defenses

Give us small spheres that give attack speed up until level 50. (Instead of stopping at 25)