Sign in to follow this  
Hecate

Tower damage types and single target vs area.

Currently there is a serious problem with the balance of area damage and single target damage availability with both damage types.

Magic has no good single target option. Flameburst is the closest and it currently suffers from having a small AoE at its target and thus its scaling is adjusted for being area. Its scaling into the late game maps simply can't keep up with high health targets. On top of this there are just a ton of area options for magic like Earthshatter, Lightning Aura and Blaze Balloon. It is also creating a redundancy with Earthshatter on the same character. A single character with two area damage towers, when you need area damage you pick whichever one is better.

The solution for magic is simple: Flameburst needs to become pure single target. I can already see the objection "but then it becomes just a magic version of cannon." Yep, in fact I want it to be a magic clone of cannon if possible for simple ease of balance. With the current design forcing us to segregate the damage types we must get a good single target tower for magic. Cannons currently fill their role nicely. Bring on a cannon for magic.

Physical doesn't have a good area option but have a great single target tower. Ballista is broken and fixing it might help. Explosive traps feel a little underpowered, largely because they burn through their charges so fast they become a burden on mana. I know the balance is ongoing so my suggestion is simply to fix what we have and lets go from there.

Final note: I have not included ubers in this calculation for two reasons. First they are simply unavailable to many of us due to bugs with dailies. Second even if they were fully available through the current system we still cannot use them until character level 50. That is a long time to go without for most characters and we end up progressing through content that exacerbates the problems with the current towers so even if an uber was a remedy it comes far too late.

nah there's no point in doing this. DD games was never about a single well-rounded class but instead about a bunch of classes which making combos
first when i saw a barbarian in dd1 i had the same thoughts but i understood that the game design itself is different from my opinion about the perfect game )

You have missed the point of my post entirely. A mix of towers from all characters is great, but if they are all area then they don't have a high scaling single hitter for big targets. That is the current issue with magic damage that I was trying to emphasize. We need a tower's functionality changed to provide single target. From my perspective Flameburst is the easiest option for this because it would require the least change.

We have the opposite problem with physical. Cannon is a great single target tower but all the physical area options are weak. At least there are area options for physical. So physical is just a matter of working on what we have.