Sign in to follow this  
Kyrn

Seriously, is XP progression that bad?

Because honestly, I got all the way to lv 40+ playing normally (and betsy campaign normal only once, cause that's part of playing normally). It's not like you're meant to hit lv 50 within a week, and I've way more issues with actually getting gear upgrades than levelling.

Also, if there's gonna be a fix to XP progression, it would be to significantly nerf XP from Betsy campaign, cause that much XP is not normal, and you know it.

Well for one exp boosts are broken and don't work, that's a legit problem with the game, where you could be getting 90% more xp, you're getting 0.

It sounds like you're only leveling 1 char as well, which is likely why you're running into issues. You want to go try level 3 more without the campaign, or at least 2 more, go for it.

And now imagine that you need 3-4 chars for endgame soloplay and you need them asap, but neither xp spheres nor xp boost from 50lvl dont work and the only place to get xp is betsy again and again?

@Kyrn quote:

Because honestly, I got all the way to lv 40+ playing normally (and betsy campaign normal only once, cause that's part of playing normally). It's not like you're meant to hit lv 50 within a week, and I've way more issues with actually getting gear upgrades than levelling.

Also, if there's gonna be a fix to XP progression, it would be to significantly nerf XP from Betsy campaign, cause that much XP is not normal, and you know it.

Two things:
First, we all know that taking XP from Betsy campaign is part of the fix, but if you remember DD1, part of the game is really after you get maxed up, or close to that, since ubers are now for max level instead of old 25, and there are modes after you hit 50, it IS meant to start there, in which, for the 4 heroes we have so far, one month leveling them should suffice, or we would need much more maps. If I have to play the same map over and over and over and over, like I was for Madwick, I would not have been playing DD1, DDE or DD2, cuz thats not how the game EVER felt like it should flow.

@Loki Grants quote:

@Kyrn quote:

Two things:
First, we all know that taking XP from Betsy campaign is part of the fix, but if you remember DD1, part of the game is really after you get maxed up, or close to that, since ubers are now for max level instead of old 25, and there are modes after you hit 50, it IS meant to start there, in which, for the 4 heroes we have so far, one month leveling them should suffice, or we would need much more maps. If I have to play the same map over and over and over and over, like I was for Madwick, I would not have been playing DD1, DDE or DD2, cuz thats not how the game EVER felt like it should flow.

Yes, but playing normally, how fast would you actually get proper gear to get to uber to begin with?

Guys, i personally level and gear up at the same time. I don't really care about iPWR as i've seen people with higher levels having less tower damage. Just pick a map you like and can do semi/total for nice gear as well as getting some exp alltogether. Enjoy it. don't try hard to reach lvl 50 as it might as well get a wipe, nobody can garantee that won't happen again. Spend your time learning the maps, new strategies. For me, game acknowledge and experience are more important than levels. I currently have 1 Squire lvl 27 (builder), 1 apprentice lvl 27 (builder) , 1 monk lvl 30 (builder) and one lovely DPSer huntress. All geared up above 85 iPWR. 

just take it slow. i know you kids want to 24/7 and get to 50 in 5hours. Remember it's summer (for most of us i think).

@Kyrn quote:
Yes, but playing normally, how fast would you actually get proper gear to get to uber to begin with?

Never because without a level 50 you can't access any maps that actually give upgrades (unless you fail wave one over and over which is infinitely more dumb than grinding betsy).

i got to level 26 after beating campaign. If you are beating one map over and over then you only have your self to blame for that. Personally i like free mode or whatever. It drops better loot imo and more people are playing there everyday. Meet new people and just have fun.  

We all know that the Exp curve is broken atm. Even in the last devstream they stated, that they didn't think that much about Exp numbers. They just dropped  numbers and hoped for the best. That will be fixed, but Exp balancing is pretty hard, so they will need a bit for that. Betsy campain gives to much exp, freeplay exp gains are to low. I think the bigger Problem atm is the gear progression. Highest required level of nimbus free easy is lvl 16. First maps on free Player normal drop gear thar requires lvl 17, but are way harder. And whats with all in between... Just no progress at all

@Hey Frank... quote:

@Kyrn quote:

Never because without a level 50 you can't access any maps that actually give upgrades (unless you fail wave one over and over which is infinitely more dumb than grinding betsy).

cant do that anymore on the nightmare difficulties. and since i am pretty much maxed ipwr at lvl 43. and dont wanna grind stupid betsy. game isn't being played . them not fixing shallium shards doesn't help.

I didn't feel that is was an issue until I was level 30 and getting gear that couldn't be used until 34.  Now I'm saturated with free-play hard loot at level 35, but I can't move on to endgame content until level 50.  If content wasn't gated behind hitting max level then the exp curve would be fine.

@Zuqual quote:

I didn't feel that is was an issue until I was level 30 and getting gear that couldn't be used until 34.  Now I'm saturated with free-play hard loot at level 35, but I can't move on to endgame content until level 50.  If content wasn't gated behind hitting max level then the exp curve would be fine.

Are you building your own defenses/significantly helping out in combat in groups, and getting appropriate gear to build said defenses/help in combat, for each tier that you progress through?

The XP curve is really not too bad - it's either on par with or better than DD1's in my opinion.

The part that's giving me trouble is that free play normal is WAY too difficult for it being normal difficulty. If it was toned down so players could progress easier (leaving the tough stuff for free play hard and end game), then I'd feel a lot better about it.

@gigazelle quote:

The XP curve is really not too bad - it's either on par with or better than DD1's in my opinion.

have you made it to lvl 50 already? if not then nothing to talk about with you really

People, you are not supposed to reach level 50 in Normal mode - rather clean Hard first and enter Incursions, at least.

The real issue is that Hard mode is inaccessible.

@Warmonger quote:

why not? i'm playing in hard mode ipwr~190 and feel fine (i just need more characters to progress). killing the boss of the first wave and then restart
you can still farm free play hard if you want to. there's an items around lvl 33 but that just doesnt worth an effort

@Warmonger quote:

People, you are not supposed to reach level 50 in Normal mode - rather clean Hard first and enter Incursions, at least.

That and for some reason the iPwr curve for freemode hard is steeper than endgame normal, it'd make more sense to swap the two.

Your Right monger We suppose to hit 50 On Campaign Easy Betsy ;).   Havnt touched an incursion and hard is riddiculus.  I think the End Game mode should open Level 30 and everything would be find, decent xp decent drops when there are drops, Actually fun again

@Warmonger quote:

On my way to my second 50 (39 at the moment) 

The xp curve is broken as it only accounts for progression through campaign. Farming harder maps is discouraged due to maps giving the same bonus xp as easy campaign, but taking longer to complete. 

Playing endgame hard or above is awful for leveling unless you can instantly kill mobs, leaving easy betsy the only real option to leveling fast. 

Difficulties/game modes should at least have an experience multiplier. 

@Kyrn quote:

@Zuqual quote:

Are you building your own defenses/significantly helping out in combat in groups, and getting appropriate gear to build said defenses/help in combat, for each tier that you progress through?

Not sure what you're getting at, but I am solo building free-play hard.  I don't really have to dps anymore as the defenses kill off everything easily.  I just repair the walls now and then.  I would like to move on to endgame-normal or endgame-hard maps, but instead I am going to go do easy-campaign-betsy a hundred more times because the level gate is the only thing holding me back.

@Zuqual quote:Not sure what you're getting at, but I am solo building free-play hard.  I don't really have to dps anymore as the defenses kill off everything easily.  I just repair the walls now and then.  I would like to move on to endgame-normal or endgame-hard maps, but instead I am going to go do easy-campaign-betsy a hundred more times because the level gate is the only thing holding me back.

Solo does not count towards most of this discussion. The scaling of enemies for 3-4 players makes hard mode very different. By doing stuff solo you are pretty much choosing easy mode for yourself. Most of us play this game to have fun with other people in our games.

@Ryvius quote:

@Warmonger quote:

why not? i'm playing in hard mode ipwr~190 and feel fine (i just need more characters to progress). killing the boss of the first wave and then restart
you can still farm free play hard if you want to. there's an items around lvl 33 but that just doesnt worth an effort

Restarting wave1 isn't progressing, rofl.

@› Rabid Lemming quote:

@Zuqual quote:Not sure what you're getting at, but I am solo building free-play hard.  I don't really have to dps anymore as the defenses kill off everything easily.  I just repair the walls now and then.  I would like to move on to endgame-normal or endgame-hard maps, but instead I am going to go do easy-campaign-betsy a hundred more times because the level gate is the only thing holding me back.

Solo does not count towards most of this discussion. The scaling of enemies for 3-4 players makes hard mode very different. By doing stuff solo you are pretty much choosing easy mode for yourself. Most of us play this game to have fun with other people in our games.

I would love to enjoy more public games, which is why I have been advocating for the return of the DD1 matchmaking system with the conversion of private games to public games and a list of public games with notes about goals and needs.

That said, even if I stipulate your assertion that solo mode = easy mode, it has no bearing on the point I am trying to make which is that the exp curve is fine up until it becomes the barrier to entry into new content.  If I could start endgame content and in doing so found that I was crushed because I hadn't farmed enough gear, that would be fine.  It is not fine to finish free-play hard and then have to farm easy betsy for a dozen hours in order to move on.  I would even prefer the situation in which the only fix is to nerf campaign betsy so that the best exp farm is to do the hardest content you can efficiently complete.