Sign in to follow this  
LordWolfie

Squire help?

So I am level 31 and ilevel 90 and feel fairly stuck at the moment. Have not really had any great gear drops so not strong enough to solo the ilvl betsy. I am mostly built into defense power/speed. Just wondering what would be some tips on leveling and best place to farm gear etc. 

Depending on what you're looking for, the current best area to farm XP is Campaign Betsy. With your iPWR I would honestly try farming Free Play Normal Liferoot. Depending on the amount of heroes you have and their quality, I could try farming Free Play Hard Gates of Dragonfall, but then again that's only if you can.

Thank you ill have to give it a try. I have no other hero's yet so maybe that's something to work on as well because I did see monks have a great defense for air. Are there any absolute must have hero's for solo play that would make it easier on me?

If soloing, you almost need all four heroes. And to be honest, here is just no reason to solo. Less drops and more difficulty. If solo is simply your thing, you just have to realize in the current build, the game is in a pretty good state in my opinion, and forces build diversity. Gone are the days of just using flame towers, LSA, and boost.

In my opinion, the below is what each hero class brings that is helpful if not necessary for most every map, outside of hero damage, which is VERY strong in the current build, especially if built for. Utilizing the below towers, our little trio managed to down our first nightmare (Life Root) last night when I dinged 50. This is with sub 150 gear on my squire, and sub 100 on my other two builders.

Apprentice: Frost tower which should almost always be in every lane. 40+ use the freezing sphere as it combos crazy well with physical damage (cannons generally shatter enemies outright when frozen).

Huntress: All towers are effective with proper placement, albeit poison is just so-so, more for a backdrop to help take down high health targets. Blaze balloons and geysers stack really well in a physical resist lane with a lightning aura laid over them. Explosive trap works well inside a serenity, in front of cannons, where a squire or monk can "hold the line."

Monk: Skyguards are obvious. Lightning aura is great if positioned well (see above) and really works cheaply if you just stack crit damage (crit doesn't scale with tower upgrades currently), attack speed, and LA speed gloves. 30 mana in a well placed location will generate a lot of damage for that investment. AND Serenity is a huge boon in the current build, for allowing a hero to lock down a lane with little fear of death. With the level 40 serenity damage sphere, dps heroes become god like.

Squire: Cannons are the most effective physical damage dealer currently. They scale well with defense power and crit damage. Look for % range on your hat. Walls are a given, but use them as a safety net, not a blockade. As in, if mobs are beating on your walls, your build is probably bet except in rare scenarios (to purposely pop bombs and other unique situations). Likewise, except in extreme circumstances, mana should not be used to upgrade walls. Merely repair them as needed.

A little long winded, but hopefully these tips help a bit. I can count on no hands (and you have to assume I have them, based on all of the gibberish typed) the amount of public games I have joined using appropriate build strategies, or really any thought to what they're doing at all. Just throwing crap down without being mindful of lane resistance, where ranged mobs will stop to attack towers/walls/heroes, and overall map mechanics will hold any player back. The game is far from broken, but the players on the other hand... 

Thank you so much for the in depth post that will help me out a lot sounds like I will start working on my mage /monk first. I really don't mind playing with people either just don't have many friends on here yet. Was so used to having to solo in DD1. Hopefully ill be able to put some of this to use.

Are there any suggestions as far as leveling up to get to 40+ and best places to farm for good items?

@Snakadaktal quote:

*snip*

I agree with Snakadaktal's post. That said, the one thing I am curious about is how you place traps Snakadaktal if they are not reaching your walls to deal some damage? Is your setup somewhere in the middle of a given lane with Geyser/elec to stun lock enemies long enough for traps to deal with them and hero's cover each lane? I usually do this at the barrier to ensure maximal damage from traps on heavy enemies while tiny enemies melt almost instantly so they don't do much dmg to walls. Sometimes I set a trap or few out if I feel I can guess where ranged enemies will stop but this is a pain to do accurately. Is your "not reaching barrier" ideology based on a hero in each lane to ensure this or the build (aka not working in solo/2-3 man groups)?

Another question is do you have any effective strategy to deal with ranged sphere throwers and their mass group? They can be somewhat of a nuisance due to sheer number for canons and their distance away even for fireballs along with the Dinosaur. Lastly, the other troublesome one and the biggest issue I have is the Trex like Dinosaur that is ranged. They have tank level health while dealing quite a bit of ranged damage. How do you deal with this? They aren't impossible to deal with, but any tips would be nice because they are the only two units that keep me from perma afk'ing in this game with ease.

@Xengre quote:

@Snakadaktal quote:

*snip*

I agree with Snakadaktal's post. That said, the one thing I am curious about is how you place traps Snakadaktal if they are not reaching your walls to deal some damage? Is your setup somewhere in the middle of a given lane with Geyser/elec to stun lock enemies long enough for traps to deal with them and hero's cover each lane? I usually do this at the barrier to ensure maximal damage from traps on heavy enemies while tiny enemies melt almost instantly so they don't do much dmg to walls. Sometimes I set a trap or few out if I feel I can guess where ranged enemies will stop but this is a pain to do accurately. Is your "not reaching barrier" ideology based on a hero in each lane to ensure this or the build (aka not working in solo/2-3 man groups)?

Another question is do you have any effective strategy to deal with ranged sphere throwers and their mass group? They can be somewhat of a nuisance due to sheer number for canons and their distance away even for fireballs along with the Dinosaur. Lastly, the other troublesome one and the biggest issue I have is the Trex like Dinosaur that is ranged. They have tank level health while dealing quite a bit of ranged damage. How do you deal with this? They aren't impossible to deal with, but any tips would be nice because they are the only two units that keep me from perma afk'ing in this game with ease.

To be clear, it sounds like you're asking from a solo perspective, which will be quite different. I will only solo specific maps, and even then, I'll fish for lanes that have the resists I want. As in certain lanes are easier to setup (terrain) for their respective damage resistances.

Liferoot being one of the easier maps to solo, I like to get a double magic resist down the middle, with physical down the sides. This allows me to place a couple of cannon towers and a freeze near the core facing middle, with a serenity right behind quab, and an explosive trap. This is where I generally fight most of the map. On the sides I go overkill early with the extra mana saved from middle, setting up a bit up the actual paths, so I have time to respond if anything gets through.

To do this I'll stagger 2 geysers through a pack of balloons with a lightning aura slightly behind the first geyser (aka it's not in the LA, but slightly ahead of it), 4 balloons all in close proximity to one another, and then another geyser inside the LA furthest behind everything, with a frost tower overlapping it all. Geyser / LA stun kind of sucks now, but geyser does good dmg, and still is solid CC in its own right, which then works in sync with frost. The key is to have a heavy kill box with some CC so it can overlap damage and bunch mobs up. At the end, I'll place a wall near core, way away from the killbox, just as a safety net for stragglers. In doing this, ranged mobs have no reason to ever stop and shoot anything in the side lanes. Walls can be a real nuisance when used the way a lot of people do. Second wave I'll add 2 skyguards and begin tossing more cannons down mid. Upgrade as needed.

As a solo player though, it's definitely more difficult. You have to pay VERY close attention to what is spawning each wave. But with the above setup, it can be adapted to most any map. As a solo player you'll rely a lot on traps/auras (they can't be attacked, thus ranged keep on pathing to the core) as well as cannon ball stuns (currently I feel this is a mandatory stat on squire weapons for solo and well worth it for group play too).

The best tip though is to join other quality people. This may be difficult with the simplistic mindset of this community, but you'll find people that are willing to listen and work together if you try. This is what I'm enjoying most about the game. I don't want to be able to AFK play. Before wipe I had 6 25s all in 155+ gear. I had no reason to play at all. There was no challenge or need to group. At least for right now, the game really shines with active hero gameplay and communication with others. Defense speed? Who needs it.

I'm a major solo player and with your stats you should be able to easily farm Campaign / Betsy / Easy. With only Squire you need to start building Cannon Ball turrets on her platform each wave...I'd usually end up with 7 level 5 ones and she'd die quickly. If you want to make things a lot easier on yourself though, level a Monk to 20 for the Sky Guard tower. Drop two of those on each of the tree stumps in front of Betsy, level them to 5, and she'll go down very quickly. Rinse and repeat 'till 50...

Free Play / Liferoot / Normal is also doable with just Cannon Balls and Blockades. You just have to keep on top of repairs, but it isn't too bad.

@Snakadaktal quote:

@Xengre quote:

@Snakadaktal quote:

*snip*

*snip*

To be clear, it sounds like you're asking from a solo perspective, which will be quite different. I will only solo specific maps, and even then, I'll fish for lanes that have the resists I want. As in certain lanes are easier to setup (terrain) for their respective damage resistances.

Liferoot being one of the easier maps to solo, I like to get a double magic resist down the middle, with physical down the sides. This allows me to place a couple of cannon towers and a freeze near the core facing middle, with a serenity right behind quab, and an explosive trap. This is where I generally fight most of the map. On the sides I go overkill early with the extra mana saved from middle, setting up a bit up the actual paths, so I have time to respond if anything gets through.

To do this I'll stagger 2 geysers through a pack of balloons with a lightning aura slightly behind the first geyser (aka it's not in the LA, but slightly ahead of it), 4 balloons all in close proximity to one another, and then another geyser inside the LA furthest behind everything, with a frost tower overlapping it all. Geyser / LA stun kind of sucks now, but geyser does good dmg, and still is solid CC in its own right, which then works in sync with frost. The key is to have a heavy kill box with some CC so it can overlap damage and bunch mobs up. At the end, I'll place a wall near core, way away from the killbox, just as a safety net for stragglers. In doing this, ranged mobs have no reason to ever stop and shoot anything in the side lanes. Walls can be a real nuisance when used the way a lot of people do. Second wave I'll add 2 skyguards and begin tossing more cannons down mid. Upgrade as needed.

As a solo player though, it's definitely more difficult. You have to pay VERY close attention to what is spawning each wave. But with the above setup, it can be adapted to most any map. As a solo player you'll rely a lot on traps/auras (they can't be attacked, thus ranged keep on pathing to the core) as well as cannon ball stuns (currently I feel this is a mandatory stat on squire weapons for solo and well worth it for group play too).

The best tip though is to join other quality people. This may be difficult with the simplistic mindset of this community, but you'll find people that are willing to listen and work together if you try. This is what I'm enjoying most about the game. I don't want to be able to AFK play. Before wipe I had 6 25s all in 155+ gear. I had no reason to play at all. There was no challenge or need to group. At least for right now, the game really shines with active hero gameplay and communication with others. Defense speed? Who needs it.

I am actually asking for advice that could be potentially used/modified for use in solo. If I can build adequately in solo I can probably make a build for group that would be very effective and potentially afk capable for sake of grinding gear (that was my intent pre-patch and in DD1, develop builds that can afk for efficiency and its more fun to break the game tactically then rely on multiple competent heros). If I can do this then I would bring that into group play. Glad to know I'm not the only one to fish for resistance lanes on a map. There are just easier lane setups, for sure.

Curious about your double magic resistant mid efforts. Is your hero doing the majority of damage? I can't imagine one trap mine is handling the AoE mobs, especially the ranged ones as I pointed out earlier, for a physical lane and without attack rate the canon truly struggles, especially with wasted overkill shots (multiple on one small mob that would already have died from one or two).

I have been experimenting with CC in a similar way but not so much amp on a single distant kill box (though I have certainly been considering how I could make it viable). It seems you go really gun-ho with 4 baloons which I might have to just go ahead and try it (been considering just haven't gotten around to it due to work along with some other ideas). I agree on how mandatory the stun stat for cannon ball is.

I agree with response to the group play and it has gone relatively well. People let me build if I feel I know what I am doing, etc. with some exceptions. Only reason I want to be able to afk build is the above point, partially because the core fun (for me) is to develop such strategies and conquer the game as such, especially the more it pushes away from doing this. Pre-wipe I was at the same state as you minus I had no ubers cause screw dailys then (almost had one but heard wipe and stopped farming for uber) and just didn't find much fun because the best builds were obvious and other towers were so terrible you didn't have much choice so hit end game and get bored. I think they are definitely heading in the right direction with towers now (bar uber situation, and really love how Huntress has changed).