Sign in to follow this  
iamisom

About the Madwick Event

I was able to get a drop after about 30 runs, and my patience was definitely running thin.  The experience reminded me of playing vanilla WoW, running an instance over and over again in the hopes that a piece of a set drops.  And while I stopped playing WoW a very long time ago, I'm pretty sure they introduced a token system that rewarded achievements in The Burning Crusade.  They did this because grinding for hours on end with no sense of progression is pretty unsatisfying. 

However, I do like the idea of timed events that offer unique rewards, particularly when it's combined with something quite difficult to achieve.  As a previous user mentioned, I think tokens could be a good solution.  Tokens could be combined with the some sort of chance system. 

For example, the reward could cost a certain amount of event tokens, let's say it's an amount that would normally require a significant investment of time and effort.  However, the tokens could scale with difficulty or various other challenges (as mentioned by a previous poster).  Or, there could just be a chance that a boss will drop enough tokens to buy the item outright.  This retains the element of chance, but also gives the player a measure of progress towards something that is achievable, even if it's extremely difficult.

Having said all that, the event pushed me to become more involved with the community, rather than just solo grinding xp.  It also forced me to think a lot about two maps that I hadn't previously played much, discovering new ideas and tactics for said maps.

In the end, it was pretty damn frustrating, but there was still quite a bit of fun involved, and I enjoyed meeting some pretty cool fellow players.

I would recommend making challenges last for 2 weeks to a month; gives everyone a chance to take part. Have two rewards too, one being the pet or item we are seeking; the other could something like a badge to state/show that you took part.
Emoji_Apprentice.png

but with lower drop rate make this egg become really special, if everyone can get it then why they need make this event? just give egg to each player then. and i think in the future they will make this same event maybe you can get your egg later.

Sorry for my English its not my native language

The drop rate was fine for me and my group of friends and my family. Dunno how it was bad for the rest of you guys :c

This new event system is much better and more user friendly then the community events in DD1 where you had to sign up ahead of time and then wait for your group to be run through the event by a host.

I would sit there for hours waiting for my turn to get run through.

One thing that was REALLY nice though was that after all that signing up and getting on the list and waiting your turn - usually even if we lost the host would still give us the event item.

Those event items where the most sought after items in the game.

I'd just like to bring up the example set by Digital Extremes. Warframe has been doing a great job of community events and developing their free to play experience over years.

Instead of reinventing the wheel why not take a page from a pro and stage your events with reward tiers? Have 3 specific item rewards in any event.  One guaranteed drop for minor participation (usually useful in game for newer and older players).  One reward for players who put in lots of time (often cosmetic as a badge).  Finally one reward for players who overcome a heavy challenge (usually endgame player-base for a uniquely identifying cosmetic).

These  options give new players a reason to participate.  It also gives people who play on different schedules and the endgame players something to strive for.

Ohh nice that we will have a chance to get this pet in the future! I believe I was out of luck this weekend. I was farming since Friday until sunday and didn't get the egg.

My crew couldn't stomach the requirement to grind through the entire Campaign mode in order to unlock Free Play for a chance at getting an egg.  This was compounded by having just spent the weekend prior grinding through Liferoot Forest 30+ times to get some of us to 25 prior to the wipe for the pet/costume, and further compounded by Warframe releasing a major patch at the same time.  

In short, nobody I know wanted to commit that much time to hurriedly grinding past the hair-pullingly tedious early game only to play the same two maps over and over until we all got an untradeable drop.

@Kryori quote:

My crew couldn't stomach the requirement to grind through the entire Campaign mode in order to unlock Free Play for a chance at getting an egg.  This was compounded by having just spent the weekend prior grinding through Liferoot Forest 30+ times to get some of us to 25 prior to the wipe for the pet/costume, and further compounded by Warframe releasing a major patch at the same time.  

In short, nobody I know wanted to commit that much time to hurriedly grinding past the hair-pullingly tedious early game only to play the same two maps over and over until we all got an untradeable drop.

I do not know what you mean by grind past the early game. The campaign is so streamlined now you can do each map once on easy and should have decent enough gear to do the next map, and you should never stop leveling til after the campaign either. One run of each map saving every optional objective on easy will get you to level 20 midway through the wyvern den. I only know this cause thats what I did, no repeats, no normal, just one hero and easy difficulty solo.If you grinded to get the special costumes before the wipe, you should have more than enough skill to pull that off. This isn't me trying to be rude or anything, I am just saying that compared to the grind to try to get a madwick egg, knocking out the campaign is quick and painless.

@cometmarcher2468 quote:

What exactly was the drop rate? i know it was an rng, but what numbers out of what did eggs drop at? cause a drop like this should be maybe 1/10 or 1/15. makes people grind a bit still for one or two, but it also won't flood the market with rare pet eggs

What market???

I had another idea..  you could keep the same RNG .. but have a 2nd item drop called Madwick rags / fur / scales.   The 2nd item has a 100% drop rate and maybe 2 or 3 drop a game.   So if you don't get lucky and get the pet you always get little scrap items.   Then you can trade like 30 scraps for the pet.  So people who don't get the pet or people who play like 5 - 10 games will be able to buy the pet.   

Removing RNG and just doing it like a daily mission where players can track their progress would also be nice.

Also...  Weekend event parkour challenge!? Wasn't there like a "The floor is lava" map in DD1... it would be cool to make slight changes to maps and use those as weekend events though that would take a little while to create.

@Mr Waffles quote:

I had another idea..  you could keep the same RNG .. but have a 2nd item drop called Madwick rags / fur / scales.   The 2nd item has a 100% drop rate and maybe 2 or 3 drop a game.   So if you don't get lucky and get the pet you always get little scrap items.   Then you can trade like 30 scraps for the pet.  So people who don't get the pet or people who play like 5 - 10 games will be able to buy the pet.   

Removing RNG and just doing it like a daily mission where players can track their progress would also be nice.

Also...  Weekend event parkour challenge!? Wasn't there like a "The floor is lava" map in DD1... it would be cool to make slight changes to maps and use those as weekend events though that would take a little while to create.

There has already been a couple suggestions along the lines of a guaranteed drop that can be collected and eventually turned in for event rewards.

@Mr Waffles quote:

Not sure about floor is lava, but there was a map set inside a volcano with rising lava.  Jester's tower relocation ability and summoner's moveable minions were invaluable on that map.

@cometmarcher2468 quote:

What exactly was the drop rate? i know it was an rng, but what numbers out of what did eggs drop at? cause a drop like this should be maybe 1/10 or 1/15. makes people grind a bit still for one or two, but it also won't flood the market with rare pet eggs

@iamisom quote:

Thanks for all the feedback on our first event, Madwick Madness. We’ll be experimenting with events – both how they’re executed and what they reward – over the coming weeks. You’re feedback will help guide us. Madwick will be back in the future, and we’ll have a new event for you this upcoming weekend in a slightly different format!

Well, i guess is pure luck. I did spend fri-sat-sunday farming this damn egg (35 hrs of game play) and didn't get a single one, playing on normal and easy *after reading that some folks got it on Nimbus easy... very frustrating.

You should remove the RNG factor and have weekend quests, you have to complete a series of quests in which you have the weekend to do it in and once completed you get the reward.  I would rather be guaranteed one pet for quest completion than nothing at all. 

@Glazy quote:

You should remove the RNG factor and have weekend quests, you have to complete a series of quests in which you have the weekend to do it in and once completed you get the reward.  I would rather be guaranteed one pet for quest completion than nothing at all. 

Weekend is a poor idea.

-Time zones make the weekend a different period in different regions.

-Your work/school schedule may not match mine, what about people who work on the weekend?

I would prefer to see events be 4-7 days long.

Although I agree that the reward should be guaranteed. 

Rather than having these sort of thing being a chance at dropping it should be a special event quest with a set objective that when completed you get that event's reward. If you want to keep it like it was at least not limit it to 1 or 2 maps and make it possible to get from any special monster on any map. I have no life and spent a good 12+ hours STRAIGHT farming those 2 maps and didn't get a single drop yet seen at least a dozen people get them in the runs i was in often after only a couple attempts at it with a few people having multiple of them.

I agree event rewards should be rare, but having them being limited to only a couple days on 2 maps makes them rare enough, don't need extremely low drop chances on top of that. It wouldn't have been that bad if the maps gave decent xp and drops but the 2 maps it was on didn't give squat so if you didn't get the egg you essentially wasted an entire weekend you could have spent getting to max level or upgrading your gear and actually progress.

I agree with the set objectives for an event, instead of leaving it up to RNG which is never fair, give set objectives that are doable but will either take time or are somewhat challenging so that everyone, regardless of level, has a chance to (for lack of a better word) grind out the event and get the reward.

@iamisom quote:

Thanks for all the feedback on our first event, Madwick Madness. We’ll be experimenting with events – both how they’re executed and what they reward – over the coming weeks. You’re feedback will help guide us. Madwick will be back in the future, and we’ll have a new event for you this upcoming weekend in a slightly different format!

Can u give a hint what the next event will be like?

will the next event be within the week? 

Or within the month? :P