Sign in to follow this  
iamisom

About the Madwick Event

Thanks for all the feedback on our first event, Madwick Madness. We’ll be experimenting with events – both how they’re executed and what they reward – over the coming weeks. You’re feedback will help guide us. Madwick will be back in the future, and we’ll have a new event for you this upcoming weekend in a slightly different format!

Most of the problems came from people not being able to get a single one. I think a good fix would be to make the first one 100%.

How about give a quest to clear x map or kill x mob, whatever you want, and reward an egg for clearing it. Then you can leave drops enabled for those that want to grind them, but you can give players a relatively easy (or hard, whatever event you want to run) way to actually obtain at least 1.

Yeah.. I mean just putting together an event which is: Go kill these.. and maybe you'll get it.. doesn't really seem like a fun event

I pretty much tried every day to get one but never seen one, whilst people I grouped with always got one. It'd be nice to atleast see what we need to do to receive one, rather then making it RNG based like killing X mobs.

I'm a little disappointed that I didn't get one despite playing for several hours every day. One of my friends got one on his first try, and out of all 4 of us he was the only one that got one. I do like the idea of special events though, keep them coming! :)

I spent the 3 days farming for it, about 8+ hours a day which was only possible due to holidays and I only saw 1 egg out of god knows how many run of maps at the very end of the event.

I love the idea of events like this but I don't think RNG drops is the way to do it. Perhaps have the RNG along side gathering tokens but make it so you need to have a significant amount of tokens to obtain the pet. That way if RNG is not favorable then you can trade the tokens for the pet. However the tokens would be ONLY for the pet.

I think the disconnect most people have when discussing drop rates and RNG is this: it's an event dropping a rare pet, so not everyone is going to get it. Lots of discussion about drop rates (Madwick specific, but can be used out of that context as well) is predicated on the idea that everyone should get one, which is kind of counter to something being 'rare'. If it was inevitable that everyone would get it, why even implement it/make it an event? 

@Holygrape quote:

I think the disconnect most people have when discussing drop rates and RNG is this: it's an event dropping a rare pet, so not everyone is going to get it. Lots of discussion about drop rates (Madwick specific, but can be used out of that context as well) is predicated on the idea that everyone should get one, which is kind of counter to something being 'rare'. If it was inevitable that everyone would get it, why even implement it/make it an event? 

It's already rare by its nature of it being an event. The only people to have it will be the people playing during that time period. A way to say 'Hey, look at this. I was playing when..' Plenty of games have similar events, but they're almost never RNG due to this very reason. It upsets your player base when it's meant to be a way to keep them interested. RNG as a whole is fine, people don't mind grinding for gear and so on. But adding it to a time limited event? A lot of people have work or other obligations to take care of, and can't afford to spend eight hours a day grinding for something like that. 

@Xurtan quote:

@Holygrape quote:

It's already rare by its nature of it being an event. The only people to have it will be the people playing during that time period. A way to say 'Hey, look at this. I was playing when..' Plenty of games have similar events, but they're almost never RNG due to this very reason. It upsets your player base when it's meant to be a way to keep them interested. RNG as a whole is fine, people don't mind grinding for gear and so on. But adding it to a time limited event? A lot of people have work or other obligations to take care of, and can't afford to spend eight hours a day grinding for something like that. 

You make a fair point, and I didn't stop to think that my schedule would normally be too busy for the time I put into this event, and got lucky that I had the weekend off for once. I do think there's a happy middle ground between our arguments though. To me, "I logged in this one weekend" is a bit removed from "i logged in this weekend and busted my butt to get it." I still think the drop rates shouldn't be guaranteed on events like this, but maybe the drop rate just increased a bit to compromise here. 

I still stand by the suggestion I made several times in various threads over the weekend. If you're going to host an RNG event, at least put in tokens that scale in worth over the difficulty level (so easy is 1 and normal 2 and hard is 3 for example, etc)  This way people that put in the effort can at least acquire ONE of the event items if they have designated 8+ hours for it. It's not so much a slap in the face at that point. I

I personally quit trying after 50~ish runs on normal Little Horn, and went back to exping. (i didnt count the few times i ran easy because i was just trying to skew the RNG and see if it'd love me once but alas it never happened)

At any rate, 50ish runs on normal Little Horn, I had 10-12 people (out of 200 potential chances including myself) claim they got the egg when it popped, this is acknowledgint the fact that i asked them to do so if they got it and it's entirely likely they didnt get it and claimed they did or got it and never spoke up regarding it.

If you take that at face value however 10-12 eggs over a potential 200 chances is just horrendous and a slap in the face as a player/supporter who spent more than 15 hours over the weekend running this event.

*I do appreciate you guys took the time to acknowledge the situation and let the playerbase know  you are aware of how we felt.

The only issue I found was that  it was a rare  drop from like 3 monsters per map, which made farming really meeeh. These type of events that are just straight forward "Kill X get Y" shouldn't take more than a couple of hours of gameplay to adquire.

Either dropping from any enemy in the map, and keep the low drop chance as it was, or just boost the drop chance my a large margin if you wish it to only drop from some specific rare monsters.

I enjoyed the part about getting a time exclusive pet, with above average quality, and the part about having to play 2 maps that I've rarely played.

I mean it's a smart idea placing events on the maps no one really plays [That's an easy statistic to get.. seeing which plays are played more frequently then others.] and it was a really cool event, I just feel like Trendy took the wrong foot hold on it. I agree, it should have been every mob on the maps with the same low drop rate.. or make it like a "Kill 500 flyer thingies on these two maps!" which would give it a reason to farm it over and over instead of ".. 70th run today.. still haven't gotten it.." Like.. killing 500 flyer it'd be fine for me personally, because then I'd know HOW to get it.. rather then never getting it.

@TheCrimsonTea quote:

The only issue I found was that  it was a rare  drop from like 3 monsters per map, which made farming really meeeh. 

I completely forgot that it had the potential to drop off multiple bosses! That just makes my scenario even more glaring as 2-3 bosses per 50 runs  yielding 10-12 eggs in total,  is absurd.(that's 10-12 eggs out of a potential 400-600 chances depending on the amount of actual bosses you had per instance)

23 hours farming this thing and I got ONE.

My friend who plays co-op with me got zero.

That is an inappropriate drop rate and is an insult to your player base.

I agree the format should be changed but it wouldn't be the best for the game to give out this particular event again. we will need rare items to hunt for and acquire wealth towards in future with trading to keep a healthy economy, this item should be the equivalent to the toxic saga and pollution items in DD1, rarely seen so it maintains a sense of rarity and a goal for those who don't yet have one.

@Holygrape quote:

A rare drop would be fine if it could be obtained from anywhere in the game.  That was not the case here - you had to farm two specific levels for it, and for most players that meant you wouldn't get any useful loot out of it.  It's rather disappointing to spend several hours towards a specific goal and not reach that goal because you were unlucky.

In other words: RNG-based rewards are fine if they take (almost) no effort.  Effort-based rewards are fine if there's no RNG involved.  But those two don't go together well.

@Holygrape quote:

You make a fair point, and I didn't stop to think that my schedule would normally be too busy for the time I put into this event, and got lucky that I had the weekend off for once. I do think there's a happy middle ground between our arguments though. To me, "I logged in this one weekend" is a bit removed from "i logged in this weekend and busted my butt to get it." I still think the drop rates shouldn't be guaranteed on events like this, but maybe the drop rate just increased a bit to compromise here. 

There is also a big difference between "I logged in this weekend and busted my butt to get it," and "I logged in this weekend and busted my butt to get it but it never dropped." That is where the problem lied for many of us. There is no reason players should run the event maps the entire weekend, only to never get a single one. I really hope I catch the next event that has one, because I am one of those people that like to collect event only things from the games I enjoy playing; there is little more aggravating than spending 16+ hours farming for something for a few days for an exclusive thing only to never get it.

While I really like the idea of events I would like to see them not as chance but by putting in the work. Unless you add that after X amount of runs there is a guaranteed drop, many people won't get anything during the events. Which is just going to hurt the overall game experience. 

Any chance we will be told the drop rate? ^^

Maybe there could be a slightly higher drop rate next time... and decreasing with every drop.

Personally, I liked the event.  Not everyone got an egg, boohoo.  Its the entitles generation.  It's like kids getting a trophy for participation in little league.  Not everyone can or should be winners.  B/c then it devalues the rarity and merit.  

@The Lewtz quote:

Personally, I liked the event.  Not everyone got an egg, boohoo.  Its the entitles generation.  It's like kids getting a trophy for participation in little league.  Not everyone can or should be winners.  B/c then it devalues the rarity and merit.  

They're not supposed to be rare. These are *weekly* events for the purpose of getting people to log into the game for an hour or two each week, preferably more aftrewards, not super rare very hard to obtain things for only those that put ~15+ hours into the game every week can get. And that's not even considering the sort of time it'd take to get a legendary one of these pets at the current drop rate. Getting legendary versions should be the real reward for those who want to grind for it.

It struck me as an odd choice that you would do this event and tie it to something that's currently broken. Farming those two levels and knowing that the only place I'm going to get anything useful is from enemy special/ogre drops, it got pretty frustrating when I'd do a round and 2 of the 3 wouldn't drop anything. Considering that at least 1/3 of the specials fail to drop loot, that had to have hurt the intended drop rate significantly.

In this type of event I would have to disagree with you The Lewtz. If it was a tiered event like "kill 5 Ogres On Nimbus and/or Little Something Town", and there were higher tiers with extra requirements and extra rewards, I would agree that only those that put in the time required to accomplish the last/most difficult Tier should get the best rewards, but with this being the first event it shouldn't require people to invest hours upon hours, it should have been easier to complete.

That's just my opinion anyway.

@The Lewtz quote:

Why should anyone even care if someone else got an egg?  It's not a competition.

Besides, it's not like getting a madwick shows any kind of skill or achievement.  It's purely a matter of luck.  Or is someone who lucked out on their first run somehow a better player than someone else who didn't get it in 20 runs?

If you want to make a lottery even, fine.  Just choose 25% of the player base and give them the reward.  Don't make players spend hours of effort with the event reward as their only goal, only to be denied it at the end.