Sign in to follow this  
JoeyTheScott

DunDefGame.exe has stopped working. FIXED

Alright, the past few days I have spent trying to find a fix for this fecking error and I seem to have found THE solution, or at least a solution that has worked for me. 

Like many, I am able to load the launcher, but would get a crash after pressing "play". I would attempt to verify game cache, would be told that a file or two was downloaded, but never would it fix the problem. Here's the kicker, if I were to uninstall and then install the game again, I could get through the launcher issue and play it... the first time. The very moment I closed the game, that was it, client was fecked and i was back to getting the DunDefGame.exe crash. After some digging around the files, I believe I've found the root cause... and boy is it annoying.

Step 1) I completely uninstalled the game, including going into the actual folder (Steamapps>common>Dungeon Defenders 2.) MAKE SURE ITS ALL GONE.

Step 2) Run a fresh install. DO NOT OPEN THE GAME YET

Step 3a) Go to the following file 

Steam>steamapps>common>Dungeon Defnders 2>configsOpen "Launcher.ini"Change the line of text "NewUpdateLaunch=true" to "NewUpdateLaunch=false"

(Of the 3 different friends I asked to check this file, they all confirmed this)

Step3b) steam>steamapps>common>Dungeon Defenders2>DunDef2>UDKGame>Config

It is here we find the 3 files that have caused us so much frustration

"UDKEngine.ini", "UDKGame.ini", "UDKOptions.ini.local.ini"

Step 4) Copy those to a seperate folder, somewhere safe. Even to your desktop. KEEP THEM.

Step 5) You may now open the game. Hopefully, it will open. You'll be able to play and everything will be ok. 

Step 6) Eventually you close the game. Later, you wish to play again. Lo and behold, it's fecked again, you're getting DunDefGame.exe crash.

Step 7) Remember those files I told you to save somewhere else

• Go back to where they were (Dungeon Defenders2>DunDef2>UDKGame>config
  • Delete the files and replace them with the saved ones. COPY AND PASTE
  • (Please make sure you don't cut and paste, you need to always have good copies of those 3 files if you want to play the game)
If it all works for you, as it works for me. Everytime you open the game and recieve the crash, you will need to delete those 3 files, and replace them with the ones you had whilst the game was working. Whilst this is completely stupid and should not be a thing, for those of us being effected by this bollocks, I hope it's fixed properly soon. Until then.... we make do I guess.

UPDATE

With the most recent patch the error is still occurring. As far as I can piece together after looking through the files of friends whom have the game working fine, the "[IniVersion]" of both "UDKGame.ini" and "UDKEngine.ini" are different. Honestly don't have enough technological knowledge to know if that is the root cause or if it's just a piece of a smaller puzzle, only that there is a difference between what I have and what they have. Further, it doesn't matter If I delete and replace my 'corrupt' files with their working ones, they revert back to the 'corrupt' immediately after closing the game.

Hopefully this issue is fixed soon. Until then, I'll continue to replace my fecked files with working ones before I start the game every single time

I can confirm this worked for me also. :)

all i did was overwrite those 3 files with the ones the OP posted and relaunched, then it worked.

had to rename them to .ini though because they came as .exe, I guess the file host changed it or something.

For the devs: The OS i'm using is Windows 10 Pro 64bit

WOW, wow wow

Dude if this works you seriously deserve to get paid a bonus from Trendy!!!!  I have not played at all since launch because of this issue.  I thought if I wait a few days it would get patched.  Alas, nothing, so I came here to report this and look for a possible solution.

uninstalling the game now.  tbh, I already uninstalled and re-installed but did not go through all the steps you took that were successful, I would not have thought of it.

I'll be back!

@^LCF^ Mordahkai quote:

I cannot find the "UDKOptions.ini.local.ini" I find both of the other files but not the Options!?!

If you're unable to find "UDKOptions.ini.local.ini" all you'll need to do is download the file mentioned in the OP. They apparently download as .exe files, but I assure you, they're legit .ini files and not something else. 

As soulz says,

@s0u1z quote:

I can confirm this worked for me also. :)

all i did was overwrite those 3 files with the ones the OP posted and relaunched, then it worked.

had to rename them to .ini though because they came as .exe, I guess the file host changed it or something.

For the devs: The OS i'm using is Windows 10 Pro 64bit

"had to rename them to .ini though because they came as .exe, I guess the file host changed it or something."

All you need to do is edit the name, removing the ".exe", of the file to what is said in the OP (i.e. "UDKOptions.ini.local.ini.exe" turns into "UDKOptions.ini.local.ini"

Hope this helps.

well it sounded promising but sadly I'm still crashing.

I don't know what to do, I guess I'll open a support ticket, if that does not work I'll have to see about a refund

Damn, really sorry to hear that mate. 

My only other thought would be, after verifying your game cache and it downloads a couple of things, go through your Dungeon Defenders 2 folder and see which files have been most recently edited and they could most likely be the cause. That method was how I originally found the 3 .ini files mentioned in the OP to be the cause. 

Good luck in your search

Does anyone here have the "broken" version of these .ini files? We'd like to take a look at those.

@iamisom quote:

Does anyone here have the "broken" version of these .ini files? We'd like to take a look at those.

So I was just going through the .ini files again, and I seem to have stumbled upon something.

At the bottom of "UDKEngine.ini", which I use to get the game working, is the following lines of text.

[IniVersion]

0=1438319788.000000

1=1438319844.000000

However, after the "DunDefGame.exe" crash, the "UDKEngine.ini" file is edited and reads;

[IniVersion]

0=1438530671.000000

1=1438530664.000000

There is a similar change which occurs within the "UDKGame.ini" file, going from

[IniVersion]

0=1438320152.000000

1=1438319790.000000

Which works, to

[IniVersion]

0=1438530764.000000

1=1438530665.000000

Which results in the crash.

Now I don't know if this means much, but it was the only thing I was able to identify without spending a tonne of time reading each line of text and comparing it to the set of files that work.

@LikeThatWhenIGotHere quote:

Joey, can i get what your system specs are?

I have not been able to play since the loot patch :(

Video:

Specs:

• i7-3770k 3.5 Ghz; I have it humming along at a cool 4.5 Ghz
  • EVGA super clocked NVIDIA GTX 660.
  • 16 Gb GSkill 9cas PC-1600 RAM.
  • Intel 520 240Gb SSD.
  • WD Black 7200 500Gb.
  • ASRock Z77 Extreme4 mobo.
  • SeaSonic 850w Modular PSU.

.ini Files:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4Gdj6lmBu7nfjkxUmQ4UTI2TVNBTXlnQTJ2ZVFRQXN6Zmx3S0p1Z2h1VHJOeHRNR2JZSjg

EUREKA!!!

PLAYED THROUGH A MAP W/O A CRASH!!!

Guys if you are in windowed mode try switching to full screen.

I will probably still not play as I HATE windowed mode, I can't multitask and it shifts around all my windows :(

At least this may help point to the issue?

@KamelJabber quote:

EUREKA!!!

I will probably still not play as I HATE windowed mode, I can't multitask and it shifts around all my windows :(

What operating system as you using? And is it 32 or 64 bit?

@KamelJabber quote:

EUREKA!!!

Atleast you're able to play... I can't even go pass the DD2 Logo after you click the play button of the Windowed UI... can't even play at all I'm gonna have to wait a long time until this crash is fixed before I can even play again...

@KamelJabber quote:

EUREKA!!!

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

I'll put my specs too if it helps :)

Laptop

• Windows 10 Pro x64
  • Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3610QM CPU @ 2.30GHz
  • NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M

Wish it worked for me, did step by step.. still crashes while trying to make a private lobby, after mission while I try to join a tavern and often when I try social play. Wish it worked here so I can progress without any problems :/

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4400 @ 2.00GHz

NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+

Low end pc, I know... game used to not crash as much as it does now, almost on every step that is.

@KamelJabber quote:

EUREKA!!!

Can you keep us in the loop as to the progress of this bug, thanks!

Is it actively being researched/worked on?

Have you been able to replicate it?

Do you need anything else from me/us?

I checked the past two hotfixes and didn't see anything about this bug.

thanks!

@JoeyTheScott quote:

Most recent patch - Still having the same issues. 

yesterday I finally tried again.

I played in "Fullscreen Windowed" and I got through a full map w/o crashing.

Seems like either it's fixed for me or or the issue is strictly with "Windowed".

Joey, have you tried FULLSCREEN, I had luck with that.