So I've been playing for the last 5 hours and have gained 1 level (30 to 31), and I am not sure why. I was told by multiple people to farm wyvern's den on easy free play for experience, but haven't been able to gain hardly anything. I am level 31. Do levels stop giving exp when you're not within a certain range, or is this a bug? I have tried multiple times and I'm not willing to do the run again anymore. Has anyone else noticed this? I would like to play higher levels instead, but I cannot for the life of me complete anything else. I have an item level of 97 and all of my items are dps (FBs are 500 at T1) but i can't do anything in hard mode, with  a party or by myself.

So this is kind of open ended, but I'm just asking for general advice. What the hell do I do?

First of all it's Wyverns Den campaign easy and not freeplay, which gives about 62k xp per run.

If you want to progress into freeplay hard or further stuff, you have to get multiple heros or find people with other hero classes to play with.

Yeah, Freeplay easy I think has xp bug, it didn't give me xp for last round at all, which is like more then half of what they give in campaign. I found Nimbus Reach to be good place to grind as its quite easy on normal difficulty and just takes a bit longer. But you also get pet items and eggs.