Sign in to follow this  
Lewleit, The Kitty <3

Blaze Balloon discussion thread?

It was really weak In the other patch, now It seems really good. As Is, when enemies walk under It, It falls down and It burns everything In the area for x amount of time, even when someone enters the area after It explodes(Though It doesn't have a visual for the ground burning).

The baloon can be manually activated from far away with attacks either from your weapons, skills or pet attacks, but other towers don't affect them...why? I think that's one idea of a combo that should be looked at. Even If It's not a combo per se, having towers positioned to trigger balloons would be awesome. Like placing a balloon under a Dummy and making the spin explode the balloon. That would be really great and awesome. Any thoughts and ideas about It?

Just no point really. There isn't really a point for having a hero pop baloons, either. Enemies pop baloons as they walk under. If they aren't under it no point in popping baloons so you would never care to pop them with your hero except in tavern.

@Xengre quote:

Just no point really. There isn't really a point for having a hero pop baloons, either. Enemies pop baloons as they walk under. If they aren't under it no point in popping baloons so you would never care to pop them with your hero except in tavern.

Dmg range is higher than trigger range, that's one reason to be able to pop it.

@Xengre quote:

Have you actually played DD1? You could manually trigger every trap with the Huntress. There are really alot of reasons to pop them, really. You can read the above post as one of the best uses for It.

I really like the blaze balloon atm - it's like a better electric aura for 20 more mana

I'd be weary of having defenses pop it, however

Towers behind the defenses shooting at things out of the balloon's range would pop it.. wasting charges AND wasting up-time which might mean you get a wave not being damaged by the balloon during its 3.33 second downtime

Is it 3.3? It used to be 8, and that was just aweful. 

Putting a blaze balloon in front of a training dummy is already a great combo, so I'm not sure it would be necessary to be able to put one right above the dummy. I like the idea of the spin causing the balloon to go off, though. That would mean anything that caused the dummy to spin but dodged the balloons range would get burned anyway.

@jako3578 quote:

@Xengre quote:

Dmg range is higher than trigger range, that's one reason to be able to pop it.

True but considering they are intended for mobs and not single target dps it is almost guaranteed a smaller mob will walk within range of it to activate it making this a pointless feature. :/ It would be cool if there was some further design behind it to make this useful but I got nothin on mind atm.

Lewleit, yes I have (can't quote atm, the feature just broke?). No there were not a lot of reasons to pop them, especially in DD1 when they could easily reach a massive size. This is particularly true of the two most used, by far, traps in DD1 Inferno/Gas because they had LONG DURATION active periods and MASSIVE range once activated. There was, literally never, a reason to activate them yourself in DD1. The above reason I have pointed out why it is not a good reason atm.

I agree with Pachipachio about all points. Blaze Baloon looks amazing, I fear so much so that it may be heavily nerfed in the near future. The additional uptime for 5 seconds is very useful.

I'd be pretty confused if it gets nerfed without some serious justification

Currently it's obviously better than electric aura but the electric aura is 30 mana/DU vs 50, is active all the time, and most importantlyit can stack

Blaze balloon is really strong but its DOT can't stack with itself which, imo, is a great mechanic for setting itself apart from other "aura" type damage

There's no reason it would warrant a nerf.

For 50 DU it's right where it needs to be, at least in my opinion. They are rock solid right now, and zero reason for it to need a nerf.

@Tristaris quote:

There's no reason it would warrant a nerf.

For 50 DU it's right where it needs to be, at least in my opinion. They are rock solid right now, and zero reason for it to need a nerf.

5 explosive traps normally outperforms 2 blaze balloons accounting for resistances. They absolutely don't need a nerf.

@Pachipachio quote:

I'd be pretty confused if it gets nerfed without some serious justification

Currently it's obviously better than electric aura but the electric aura is 30 mana/DU vs 50, is active all the time, and most importantlyit can stack

Blaze balloon is really strong but its DOT can't stack with itself which, imo, is a great mechanic for setting itself apart from other "aura" type damage

it stacks on target dummies.

blaze balloon lava DOES stack, both on dummies and in-game.

Right now they feel like they're in a solid place. Personally I don't agree with AoE defenses stacking, but all things considered they're pretty spot on in terms of overall balance.

Uh, are you guys sure about the stacking?  I went several rounds of normal betsy a few days ago when 5 ticks took 1/2 hp off goblins - I threw down like 5 and they still didn't go down until I spread it out

Edit: ok, tried it again and it's really obvious they stack.  Have no idea why I perceived otherwise a few days ago

@Pachipachio quote:

Uh, are you guys sure about the stacking?  I went several rounds of normal betsy a few days ago when 5 ticks took 1/2 hp off goblins - I threw down like 5 and they still didn't go down until I spread it out

I'm 1000% sure. I'm leveling a traptress right now and stacking 4-5 blaze balloons in a lane annihilates just about everything, as long as they're not in magic resist lanes.

Also, they do feel to me like the best way to stack magic damage on physical resistante lanes. Is It just me? Maybe I'm doing something wrong, I don't know. My App Is almost at the same DP level as my huntress but they seem so far apart In terms of magic DPS I don't even.