About Twitch squid skin

Trendy, the way you are doing this, is just wrong. I started this thread because you might think that "this" is working and you might decide to do more on future. We, your players, dont like it.

I am okay with "You will get this hat if you do that" kinda giveaways/gifts but why dont you do this kind of giveaways at your dev streams? This "Lovindatacos" dude is very unprofessional and makes YOU look bad especially when Dungeon Defenders II is this popular(congrats on 4982 concurrent players btw)

Thats just my two cents. 

Some quotos from Steam discussion;

I think honestly one of the most insulting part of this was that the streamer himself said that his subcribers where guaranteed to get the skin while those unsubed are not. Basically saying "Hey, give me money and you can get the code."

i watched the stream for an hour, nothing good.

It would be nice to be guaranteed a squid rather than have it be whomever the streamer likes will receive one (aka give me money and get a code).

there was no information on the accessory, and tons of info on giving this guy free stuff. All that I could garner was that you had to pay to get the accessory, and not even to trendy, but to this twitch page that I had never heard of and certainly had no interest in subscribing to

What that guy did is a lame and cheap thing to do, to be honest. But judging by the "quality" of his streams and his general attitude, I'm not really surprised by this whole situation.

More discussion: http://steamcommunity.com/app/236110/discussions/0/541907675760326222/

Yea, I'm not a fan of this either. It isn't to clear how you got it once you went there, seeing this thread he has to give it out.

If he's trying to get sub's out of it then something defo has gone wrong. 

Tried watching once, completely unprofessional and think if Trendy wants to do giveaways and things such as that, they should do it on their official twitch page and not someone bribing subs.

Nothing I despise more than that garbage.

Wow... i just went through the steam discussion... I am shocked how a streamer can even think about that.
I already posted there but i will say this again. If i got those codes i would do a multi language stream (i usualy stream german) and invite everyone to join raffels.
I had some hots keys when it was still in CBT i didnt even ask for follows, just everyone could enter.
Using giveaways to bribe others in the stream is... well it feels shady.  To ask for subs in exchange for anything more than the usual privileges (emotes, commands and such) is a no go in my opinion!

@Trendy i recommend to pick out streamers carefuly, maybe make a post where people can apply for the right to raffle out some codes on theire streams. Also monitor them and advice them to give out the keys in raffles or other fair for all ways.
Everyone can make a mistake but maybe you will think of a way to smooth things out? Would be good.
(Since i am at it already: i volunteer as a streamer to give out codes in raffels :3 ehehe *edit* i am not a total professional streamer more like the feel at home channel but i have principles for fairness and so on! and a regular schedule uhm yeah feel free to ask things if you are interested ^^) 

Went to watch the stream, and after 10 minutes of waiting for the giveaway to start I just subbed (5 usd) to get it guaranteed (and not have to watch anymore). In those 10 minutes he did not play dd2. He was afk in minecraft talking about how he was getting a lot of viewers and just constant sounds of the followers/subs notifications. Nothing against the guy, but I'd never watch it if it wasn't for the squid hat.

@lenlen quote:

Went to watch the stream, and after 10 minutes of waiting for the giveaway to start I just subbed (5 usd) to get it guaranteed (and not have to watch anymore). In those 10 minutes he did not play dd2. He was afk in minecraft talking about how he was getting a lot of viewers and just constant sounds of the followers/subs notifications. Nothing against the guy, but I'd never watch it if it wasn't for the squid hat.

Isn't that how most people feel when joining a channel for a giveaway? Barely any of them stay because of the person and most people will unfollow again when the giveaway is done. It is a bit sad. 

On the other hand sometimes you discover someone you really like in the way he/she streams, wich is the bright side of it.

I really dislike this, Trion did it with Trove, i really enjoy collecting things, but being forced to watch streams.. Well thats a real bummer, because i just dont enjoy them most of the time. 

Hoping the squid hat will be available in game or elsewhere, I'd hate to miss out on an item, I'm going to gues these codes wont be around forever.

I agree with you all about the codes. They should not be given out via the subscribing pay wall. To me that is morally wrong but I can see why Lovindatacos has taken that route. However he also does a lottery with his bot for EVERYONE so it's not just subscribers getting them. The problem he is running into is running out of codes.

What I don't agree with are people going into his stream and EXPECTING to magically obtain a code. Yes Trendy should have been clearer on their description but we should stop being naive and thinking that clicking a stream link is going to provide you with an exclusive item in game. 

Finally Lovindataco can stream what he wants when he wants. He only has to fulfill his obligations to Trendy and nothing more. If you happen to stop by when he is streaming another game then come back later, his bot clearly says that periodically. If you feel that he is not your type of streamer or he is unprofessional then that is your opinion and I suggest you tell him instead of complaining here. As for his chat, it is the internet so you should expect keyboard warriors (Yes I wanted to use another term)

@fplayer quote:

We, your players, dont like it.

I am okay with "You will get this hat if you do that" kinda giveaways/gifts but why dont you do this kind of giveaways at your dev streams? This "Lovindatacos" dude is very unprofessional and makes YOU look bad especially when Dungeon Defenders II is this popular(congrats on 4982 concurrent players btw)

It is not because you are not the only one whining that you are entitled to speak for everyone, so please, no "we, your players".

I personally hate streamings (talking about all streamings, not Lovindatacos specifically), I think they are almost always boring as hell and I rarely stop to watch'em. Thing is Trendy has to promote their game and they are doing it.

I think it is a great idea to support their streamers, fansites and so on. The hat is out there for EVERYONE, you can just handle the chubby guy with a silly hat 5 bucks or sit in his channel for the raffles. This is totally acceptable. What is NOT acceptable is what GW2 did, handling codes of non-tradable items for people in a game event in Chicago or wherever.

tl;dr: I'm totally ok with cosmetics giveaways for 3rd parties; you are not entitled to speak in my name; I would not be ok if there was not a way for people to get it, but all can get it.

@Berry quote:

Everyone can make a mistake but maybe you will think of a way to smooth things out? Would be good.
(Since i am at it already: i volunteer as a streamer to give out codes in raffels :3 ehehe *edit* i am not a total professional streamer more like the feel at home channel but i have principles for fairness and so on! and a regular schedule uhm yeah feel free to ask things if you are interested ^^) 

"Wow sucks that this guy has codes. Give me the codes so I can take his place". LOL

@Squishydew quote:

I really dislike this, Trion did it with Trove, i really enjoy collecting things, but being forced to watch streams.. Well thats a real bummer, because i just dont enjoy them most of the time. 

Hoping the squid hat will be available in game or elsewhere, I'd hate to miss out on an item, I'm going to gues these codes wont be around forever.

Enjoys collecting things. Plays Trion games. Either you are a billionaire to get the crap in their gambling boxes at a 0.0002% drop rate or you are not a completioninst. If you really want the hat just sub the guy's channel and get one for 5 bucks. Same price you get 2 premium green pets after 16 hours.

I didn't watch the guy yesterday but just had audio in the background and entered the raffle every time there was one. He did a raffle at the end of every map so about 20-30 minutes on average depending on the map/difficulty. He does give out the code to subscribers if they want it as a thank you for supporting him. 

As I understand it from listening to just the audio though, Trendy basically gave him the codes as part of the casters guild for Trendy and said do whatever you want with these as the accessory was designed based of the hat he always wears on stream. They, Trendy, also said we don't care if you give them to subs only, these codes are yours to do what you will with. This is all generalized information from what I heard yesterday. If this is true then I doubt Trendy much cares what happens with the codes and who gets them. All I know is that periodically once the hot-fixes and new patch cool down a little, they'll start generating more codes for him to hand out. 

On a side note, I'd love to get endorsed to stream by Trendy and have accessories made after me too but I also don't have the time to stream much.

Edit: double post, derp... deleted the other

@Hendo Trendy basically gave him the codes [...] and said do whatever you want with these [...] They, Trendy, also said we don't care if you give them to subs only, these codes are yours to do what you will with.[...] they'll start generating more codes for him to hand out. 

This is so wrong...

I think this was an experiment on Trendy's part. Instead of giving it to a relatively unknown streamer, give it to a popular streamer and stipulate that they're to be given out randomly. Popular streamers can get buzz going for the game. Losers like that guy need you more than you need them.

No, its not. He is promoting the game.

@NCO quote:

@Hendo Trendy basically gave him the codes [...] and said do whatever you want with these [...] They, Trendy, also said we don't care if you give them to subs only, these codes are yours to do what you will with.[...] they'll start generating more codes for him to hand out. 

This is so wrong...

Forgot to mention it in my previous post but this sort of thing is gonna happen with each of the streamers from the casters guild from what I heard him say yesterday. Trendy is gonna make different accessories that are particular/special to that streamer to hand out so there will be more unique accessories/items further down the line. 

Sounds awesome!

@Hendo quote:

Forgot to mention it in my previous post but this sort of thing is gonna happen with each of the streamers from the casters guild from what I heard him say yesterday. Trendy is gonna make different accessories that are particular/special to that streamer to hand out so there will be more unique accessories/items further down the line. 

I honestly don't mind paying 5 dollars for an accessory I like. I flat out refuse to support practices such as these, and as it seems a lot of people do as well.

I will not subscribe to a stream I feel is extremely poor quality, far below average, just to obtain an item. The argument of him doing raffles is laughable and senseless.

This game feels like it was made with a lot of love for the product, bad marketing is not where it deserves to lose it's support... And this is nothing but frustrating.

If his kind of attitude/promotion represents the view of the company, it explains a lot...

@Underlander quote:

@NCO quote:

If his kind of attitude/promotion represents the view of the company, it explains a lot...

@Underlander quote:

I think that is the overall problem here. They did not really mention why this person was handed out codes and also didn't explain that he is allowed to do with them whatever he wants.
Basicly there seems to be nearly no communication. Somone said the streamer didn't even know about them linking him.
There is simply just too less information.

Some people now are butthurt and some just see how this is not working. Others thinks the whole thing is handled wrong and so on. Mostly everything we discuss here is based on partial information.

I guess this whole thing did not went the way they thought it would. I have no other explenation... somehow...

I really don't think a company needs to explain their PR decisions. I also think they decided to link his stream as a way to say thanks for the guy promoting the game. Lots of people watch streams (I'm personally not too fond of streams, specially twitch). Lots of people want to know how the game looks like before buying.

I really can't understand why this is an issue. Sounds like a bunch of butthurt streamers-wannabe complaining because the codes were handed to someone else and not to them. I wanted the hat, so I stayed there for a few hours, joined some raffles, saw the guy playing some maps and decided to give the guy 5 bucks so I could get my hat and he could keep his work going on promoting the game. 

I guess it went the way they expected... a few people whining about it, a bunch more happy about it and the great majority not giving a f. I am half "happy about it", half "not giving a f". I would like to see more cosmetics around, maybe from site giveawayas and stuff like that. Since the items can be obtained by anyone, I'm cool with it.

@Berry quote:I think that is the overall problem here. They did not really mention why this person was handed out codes and also didn't explain that he is allowed to do with them whatever he wants.

Basicly there seems to be nearly no communication. Somone said the streamer didn't even know about them linking him.

Some people now are butthurt and some just see how this is not working. Others thinks the whole thing is handled wrong and so on. Mostly everything we discuss here is based on partial information.

I guess this whole thing did not went the way they thought it would. I have no other explenation... somehow...

Most complains are a matter of principle not because of the hat itself. They do not like how this whole thing happend. And it is their right to let Trendy know about how they feel. Me included.

Now take a cookie or something because your posts seem like you are hungry.

@Underlander quote:

I really don't think a company needs to explain their PR decisions. I also think they decided to link his stream as a way to say thanks for the guy promoting the game. Lots of people watch streams (I'm personally not too fond of streams, specially twitch). Lots of people want to know how the game looks like before buying.

I really can't understand why this is an issue. Sounds like a bunch of butthurt streamers-wannabe complaining because the codes were handed to someone else and not to them. I wanted the hat, so I stayed there for a few hours, joined some raffles, saw the guy playing some maps and decided to give the guy 5 bucks so I could get my hat and he could keep his work going on promoting the game. 

I guess it went the way they expected... a few people whining about it, a bunch more happy about it and the great majority not giving a f. I am half "happy about it", half "not giving a f". I would like to see more cosmetics around, maybe from site giveawayas and stuff like that. Since the items can be obtained by anyone, I'm cool with it.

@Berry quote:I think that is the overall problem here. They did not really mention why this person was handed out codes and also didn't explain that he is allowed to do with them whatever he wants.

@Underlander quote:

I really don't think a company needs to explain their PR decisions.

They dont need to explain, but players are not forced to like what they do.

If they make bad decisions, we need to tell them. The influence system even tells us to care and participate...