Dungeon Defenders on iPad 2!

Immortalq, does it run smooth on the highest graphic settings? i want a ipad2...but we dont have it here in canada yet :(

Yes, even on most complex map with like 400 enemies in multiplayer. Ipad2 got very powerful PVR 543 GPU, works great in DunDef. Thou i suppose later this year when next variations of Mali GPU become available its gonna be outperformed.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you might not notice too much difference in 2d, but when it comes to 3d games yes... it's much much better.

the iPad 2 runs this game AMAZING! I'm talking 100% perfect framerate with the graphics bar dragged all the way to the top.. it's great!! LOVING IT

Looking forward to seeing some videos of the game running on the it. Just found out that samsung fabricated the a5 chips within the ipad2. Makes me wonder how their own exynos perform. Any word on it yet immortal?

Bit later then expected, but i had few things to take care first.

Unfortunately Boodies no good news for u (or anyone else who expected that Mali GPU in Samsung Galaxy S II will be in pair with PVR 543 [iPad2]). :(

Like i assumed before we got sample S II with Mali GPU units, performance wise it's almost the same as the first one we got with Tegra 2. :/ Actually its even a bit slower then Tegra 2 atm. Thou DunDef performed almost exactly the same on both GPU (almost flawlessly, few hiccups now and then [multiplayer 300+ enemies]) in tests like GL Benchmark (Pro version) Tegra 2 based units is like 3-5% faster then Mali GPU. Which is far below PVR 543 performance (iPad2).

This is a bit disappointing, however it was expected.

It seems that Exymos platform is just a very early test platform, Samsung already have more advanced version (or even probably few more) which can beat easily Ipad2 (CPU and GPU) , but for some reason kept it for next generation smartphones, probably we wont see units with it till early next year. There is however option that Samsung will release better (faster) version of Galaxy S II (some variation like Nexus S few months back) in the 3rd-4th quarter of the year but at this point im only speculating.

5mill mana samsung is waiting for the i5 to come out before before they release the faster systems ^_^ would make sense

Bit later then expected, but i had few things to take care first.

Unfortunately Boodies no good news for u (or anyone else who expected that Mali GPU in Samsung Galaxy S II will be in pair with PVR 543 [iPad2]). :(

Like i assumed before we got sample S II with Mali GPU units, performance wise it's almost the same as the first one we got with Tegra 2. :/ Actually its even a bit slower then Tegra 2 atm. Thou DunDef performed almost exactly the same on both GPU (almost flawlessly, few hiccups now and then [multiplayer 300+ enemies]) in tests like GL Benchmark (Pro version) Tegra 2 based units is like 3-5% faster then Mali GPU. Which is far below PVR 543 performance (iPad2).

This is a bit disappointing, however it was expected.

It seems that Exymos platform is just a very early test platform, Samsung already have more advanced version (or even probably few more) which can beat easily Ipad2 (CPU and GPU) , but for some reason kept it for next generation smartphones, probably we wont see units with it till early next year. There is however option that Samsung will release better (faster) version of Galaxy S II (some variation like Nexus S few months back) in the 3rd-4th quarter of the year but at this point im only speculating.

That's unfortunate because every time sammy claims graphical performance, they delivered. Thus was the case with the galaxy 1. With the SGS1 they promised 3 times the frame rate of a snapdragon, and it indeed did. With the sgs 2, we were told 3 times the power of the sgs1. I am not seeing why the connection here is missing. Are you sure this will be the final retail version of the phone? I'm going to have to wait until the final release of the phone until I make my decision.

That's unfortunate because every time sammy claims graphical performance, they delivered. Thus was the case with the galaxy 1. With the SGS1 they promised 3 times the frame rate of a snapdragon, and it indeed did. With the sgs 2, we were told 3 times the power of the sgs1. I am not seeing why the connection here is missing. Are you sure this will be the final retail version of the phone? I'm going to have to wait until the final release of the phone until I make my decision.

Our units is retail like hardware wise, however device drivers is in beta stage. However there is possibility that final drivers will give some boost - it's highly unlikely that it gonna be more then few %. Our conclusion about Mali GPU performance is - that Samsung deliberately lowered Mali GPU performance so it would be in pair with Tegra 2 version, so there wouldn't be problem selling units with Tegra 2 inside. Also keep in mind that applications / games which use heavily CPU and is optimized for 2 cores probably gonna be 3x times faster then on SGS1 or something around that.

We are going to be releasing a comparison video soon, they recorded it yesterday.

(by them I mean the marketing goons down the hall)

immortal, if that's really the case i might have to skip the sgs2 lol. we'll have to see :(

Is it really that much better then the original ipad?

Personally I would say no, but I'm not a fan of Apple in general, they charge loads for something that's no better then its market competition apart from the fact it's got an Apple logo lol.

There computers cost loads and the specs aren't great, not to mention your more then likely going to want a dual boot of windows due to it's rubbish compatibility. The phones, iPad etc, were going to see a new one every 4months or something that's hardly any different from the pervious one, iPhone4 hasn't been out that long and they are already testing iPhone5 and iPad2. Now if you get any problems with Apple devices and your warranty is up, the only place you can really take it is Apple and they are going to charge you a fortune to repair it.

Let me tell you an example, my girlfriend has a Macbook Pro, a $1200 minimum laptop, with specs I had on my computer 5years ago and the flash drives on them don't even work on them properly, if you want to put an SD card in there you have to place the lock on them half way between locked and unlocked!! lol.

Apple is a fashion statement and nothing more.

Personally I would say no, but I'm not a fan of Apple in general, they charge loads for something that's no better then its market competition apart from the fact it's got an Apple logo lol.

There computers cost loads and the specs aren't great, not to mention your more then likely going to want a dual boot of windows due to it's rubbish compatibility. The phones, iPad etc, were going to see a new one every 4months or something that's hardly any different from the pervious one, iPhone4 hasn't been out that long and they are already testing iPhone5 and iPad2. Now if you get any problems with Apple devices and your warranty is up, the only place you can really take it is Apple and they are going to charge you a fortune to repair it.

Let me tell you an example, my girlfriend has a Macbook Pro, a $1200 minimum laptop, with specs I had on my computer 5years ago and the flash drives on them don't even work on them properly, if you want to put an SD card in there you have to place the lock on them half way between locked and unlocked!! lol.

Apple is a fashion statement and nothing more.

Hmmm... charging loads for iPad 2 over competitors... even though the only competing tablet, the Xoom, is $70 more expensive than the comparable version, and doesn't have any cheaper options (yet, the WiFi option, which is still $600, is coming out soon).

Macs do not have rubbish compatibility, and the specs are not bad, especially on the new MacBook Pros. Even if you did want to also run Windows, you CAN. Apple usually updates its products yearly, not every four months, as has happened for the past four years with iPods, iPhones, and iPads. (iPads only for 2 years) However, PC companies and other cell phone companies update even more frequently. Also, for repairs, you'd be surprised at how generous Geniuses in the Apple Store are. As long as you didn't hit your computer with a baseball bat or drench it in water, they'll probably fix it for free or a cheap cost.

How old is her MacBook Pro, and she obviously didn't go for specs? The new one for that price has an i5 and 4GB of RAM. Do you really need more, unless she's going to be gaming heavily? Specs aren't everything. For the average user, user interface and easiness to use matter.

For a fashion statement, Apple seems to be doing pretty well.

Hmmm... charging loads for iPad 2 over competitors... even though the only competing tablet, the Xoom, is $70 more expensive than the comparable version, and doesn't have any cheaper options (yet, the WiFi option, which is still $600, is coming out soon).

Macs do not have rubbish compatibility, and the specs are not bad, especially on the new MacBook Pros. Even if you did want to also run Windows, you CAN. Apple usually updates its products yearly, not every four months, as has happened for the past four years with iPods, iPhones, and iPads. (iPads only for 2 years) However, PC companies and other cell phone companies update even more frequently. Also, for repairs, you'd be surprised at how generous Geniuses in the Apple Store are. As long as you didn't hit your computer with a baseball bat or drench it in water, they'll probably fix it for free or a cheap cost.

How old is her MacBook Pro, and she obviously didn't go for specs? The new one for that price has an i5 and 4GB of RAM. Do you really need more, unless she's going to be gaming heavily? Specs aren't everything. For the average user, user interface and easiness to use matter.

For a fashion statement, Apple seems to be doing pretty well.

Very good response :)

In terms of competitors I was more refering to the phones and computers/laptops, I got an iPod video myself (however at the time most competiting MP3 players had 2 or 4gig memory and mine has 30), so they have done some good and yes the specs on the new Macbook pro's do look pretty good, but personally I would rather take a windows laptop, yes it's not as pretty but you can get it with good specs for an alright price, it will work with all programs and with Windows 7 you don't really have the slow boot ups times that windows seems to be famous for. My computer at home probably starts up faster than my girlfriends laptop. It is a few years old now, but it wasn't that bottom end model, it was a 17inch one.

It's just my opinion in terms of compatibility, there's been many games I'd like to play that I can't, developer software and more, but for a lot of people it would do the job.

Say with the iPhones, the majority of people who own them only use basic features and might as well have a phone with a 1/5 of the price tag, but I guess that's more peoples stupidity and Apple reaping the profits from it (to be honest I probably have more of a problem with the reason people who buy this stuff and the waste of it for most users)

Say for example you need a replacement charger for a Mac, your looking at 50 just for that.

immortal, if that's really the case i might have to skip the sgs2 lol. we'll have to see :(

Some sites which have already SGS II saple units like we do did test it too but the conclusion is the same as my -> link. Sorry Boodies but its almost clear now that SGS II is a no go if you're after performance (GPU especially).

Very good response :)

In terms of competitors I was more refering to the phones and computers/laptops, I got an iPod video myself (however at the time most competiting MP3 players had 2 or 4gig memory and mine has 30), so they have done some good and yes the specs on the new Macbook pro's do look pretty good, but personally I would rather take a windows laptop, yes it's not as pretty but you can get it with good specs for an alright price, it will work with all programs and with Windows 7 you don't really have the slow boot ups times that windows seems to be famous for. My computer at home probably starts up faster than my girlfriends laptop. It is a few years old now, but it wasn't that bottom end model, it was a 17inch one.

It's just my opinion in terms of compatibility, there's been many games I'd like to play that I can't, developer software and more, but for a lot of people it would do the job.

Say with the iPhones, the majority of people who own them only use basic features and might as well have a phone with a 1/5 of the price tag, but I guess that's more peoples stupidity and Apple reaping the profits from it (to be honest I probably have more of a problem with the reason people who buy this stuff and the waste of it for most users)

Say for example you need a replacement charger for a Mac, your looking at 50 just for that.

Thanks for complimenting my reply. :P

I've found Windows vs. OS X to be a preference; the Mac App Store is growing and games are coming, so that is less of a concern, and I absolutely despise Windows. The only thing about bootup is that Apple'll probably switch all their computers to flash storage soon, which the MacBook Air already has, and it boots up in 10 seconds flat. :) (I tried one in the store, it's insane)

The good thing about Mac is that you could always (legally) run Windows in a VM or via BootCamp if you wanted to run a program.
I admit that Apple overcharges for most chargers and certain accessories. The good thing is that if something like a charger just stops working, if you bring it in, they'll give you a new one.

Is an amazing wonderful thing. Runs super duper fast, perhaps the fastest we've seen on a mobile device. It's smooth, HD experience and I hope you guys spread the word -- if you have an iPad 2, you need to play this game :) :warrior:

(The game fully utilizes both CPU cores btw, without an update, as it was already written to take advantage of multiple processors)

Btw, if you're wondering why we've been away from the forums a bit lately, it's because we're preparing the beautiful console versions for final certification right now. Yay.... busy busy busy, but in a very good way :)

Cheers,
Jeremy

*grins ear to ear* Final certifications eh? SQWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!! *jumps up and down*

Some sites which have already SGS II saple units like we do did test it too but the conclusion is the same as my -> link. Sorry Boodies but its almost clear now that SGS II is a no go if you're after performance (GPU especially).

That link actually uses old test results from Anandtech. I don't know how valid those results really are as if you go to the original Anandtech article, in some graphics test, Exynos scores significantly lower than even PowerVR 540 in the Hummingbird. Either the early drivers are really bad or Mali is actually quite a bit worse than last gen PowerVR 540 in many ways. I find that hard to believe... I will wait till full reviews are out by usual site that I read.

Yes Gilgemesh, I sincerely hope that this is a driver issue more than anything. Only time will tell.

Seriously guys debating about unreleased vaporware hardware benchmark is pretty pathetic. Compare stuff that is actually on the market... (unless you are lucky enough to have access to prototypes)

First, ithings are on a one year cycle and the difference between releases are pretty significant. In terms of specs vs price, it depends. With Apple you need to buy on cycle refresh since pricing stay the same all year round. Currently, the MBP specs VS prices are very very good. But, for example, the mac mini core2duo price/spec is awful. In the tablet market, the price/specs of the current ipad2 is awesome. You need to be clever and only buy at a refresh if specs are important to you.

On the other hand, I predict that Apple spec/price ratio is going to improved in the coming years has the rule is getting more blurr.

Thanks for complimenting my reply. :P

I've found Windows vs. OS X to be a preference; the Mac App Store is growing and games are coming, so that is less of a concern, and I absolutely despise Windows. The only thing about bootup is that Apple'll probably switch all their computers to flash storage soon, which the MacBook Air already has, and it boots up in 10 seconds flat. :) (I tried one in the store, it's insane)

The good thing about Mac is that you could always (legally) run Windows in a VM or via BootCamp if you wanted to run a program.
I admit that Apple overcharges for most chargers and certain accessories. The good thing is that if something like a charger just stops working, if you bring it in, they'll give you a new one.

That's a very impressive bootup, Is that SSD? I know solid state drives are quite expensive still and the memory isn't as high as HDD, but I could easily manage with a 128Gb SSD and of course there is always the option of a backup HDD for when you don't need the extra speed :), windows 7 is also optimised for it.

We got some nice new stuff with computers growing at the moment with SSD and USB 3, I'll be looking forward to having a computer with both in the future, but for now I'll wait :)

Anyone have a good recommendation for a new gaming console/laptop other than alienware?

slickdeals.net find any pc with a decent gpu and cpu.