Sign in to follow this  
I_PASS_BUTTER

Onslaught Mode (Loot & Survive)

Onslaught Mode and Onslaught Loot

• You’ve been waiting, and now it’s go time! Onslaught is a survival mode where players pick a reward at the beginning of the match and play to their heart’s desire. (Or until that one Javelin Thrower pierces your heart. I mean, core.)

• Onslaught plays out over a series of rounds and waves. There are three waves to every round. At the beginning of a round, you’ll have an unlimited Build Phase. Between each wave in a round, you’ll have a time-limited Build Phase.

• The rounds are themed to specific enemies. So look out for the Spooky Skeletons and Kobold Rushes.

• The rounds will also have secondary traits that will change per round. These are  buffs to the enemies during the round that will keep you on your toes. These will change with the themes and be different each round. This means round 1 could be speedy goblin hordes. But this also means you could have a healthy Dark Mage round at some point.  *Shudders*

• Once you unlock your first Onslaught map, you will be able to start playing for that sweet new item you’ve been wanting. Want an awesome new weapon? Select the weapon reward category and start running through Onslaught. You’ll get your selected category round at the end of each round. Keep your wits about you though, as Onslaught will be no cakewalk. How far can you get?

• There are unique pet and weapon rewards you can only find in Onslaught mode. But we’re not going to tell you what they are, because that’d ruin the fun.

In Loot & Survive we introduced Onslaught Mode, end game content that gives you a say in what rewards you receive. How do you feel about this game mode, Defenders?

@I_PASS_BUTTER quote:
  • There are unique pet and weapon rewards you can only find in Onslaught mode. But we’re not going to tell you what they are, because that’d ruin the fun.

So it is only unique pet and weapons, armor and relic are just fillers?

Onslaught needs a bit of work item reward wise, at the moment, Onslaught is challenging depending on the type of rounds you get, but the items are only level 23, It would be interesting if there was a rotation at each 5 rounds or so where you would have a bit higher chance to get a higher rarity item.

Absolutely awful. Loot is few and far between, mana is nonexistent, and the loot you -do- get is pretty garbage. I've yet to see an upgrade even with 13 rounds completed, one of which took us to round.. 7, I think? The mobs were late level 50s, either way. 100k health a pop, hit like trucks.. All for some really incredibly terrible gear no one wanted. I thought it was supposed to improve? =/

As it is, hard mode gives a lot more better loot a lot faster for NOWHERE near the difficulty. Course, the fact I seem to find nothing but relics with defense health for drops is another story entirely.. 

I think the mana being nonexistent is on purpose, you are meant to manage your mana as best as you can throught the entirety of each one of the rounds, you need to upgrade a couple of turrets but at the same time you need to conserve mana to survive each one of the rounds.

However I am 100% sure, when the rewards are fixes, Onslaught is going to be great if you need very specific items which is good in terms of progression purposes.

Onslaught should stay hard and potentially depending on how difficult each one of the rounds, maybe the possibility of sometimes having really, really hard rounds would give you the ability to get a really good item.

Agree with pretty much everything that's been said. Mana is pretty non exsistant after the initial box provided. Loot is another problem. The loot is not running parallel with the difficulty. At this point I will only play it for the monthly quest. Please review the loot logic and up the mana. 

i did a run on normal greystone and kobolds were exploding into like 100-150 mana each, so that made it so much easier. i doubt that's indended though. it was on round 2 if that makes a difference

Onslaught mode is challenging and that's nice, good work on that.

Onslaught mode's item rewards are horrible, completing three waves only to get rewarded with a weak item thats nowhere near as strong as the normal mode one I already have, and almost no EXP, is extremely underwhelming.   Most players will be looking for big rewards and big exp in exchange for big challenge.  But big challenge and pathetic reward just seems pointless.   Even after 6+ waves item rewards were FAR weaker than the ones I had before doing onslaught

More options for what we get might help. Let us pick the stats, at least. IE, Select Relic > Get a pick of DPS, Tower Power, or Defense or something. As it is, the rewards are awful. We're doing it in the mid-30s to get to round 3 or so, and the items are 10 levels below us. The risk vs reward is just.. non-existent. 

The drops need to be higher ipwr, doing the first one 85-105 item req 90. The first 3 chest rewards on the map were item level 88, that's horrible considering that's 30min of game time.

I'm not sure if anyone tested progression in the game.

Onslaught at normal is out of range for me as long as mana drops are nerfed.

Potential rewards are not encouraging,  I already got better drops from f2p Hard.

Thanks for all the feedback! We're definitely watching it closely and looking at ways to keep what is good about the mode and improve on the experience for everyone. 

A friend and I were doing onslaught and we noticed that the only wave that doesn't drop mana is the undead wave with all the skeletons. This seems to be a bug to me, since the mobs you get in the waves are random. Either no mobs are supposed to drop mana or all mobs are supposed to drop mana. It seems odd to make that aspect random. Would love some clarification.

I just tried Onslaught mode Solo and the amount of time between waves within a single round was just too little.  When playing solo, knowing where to repair, what lanes need upgrades to face the next wave and to change a lane that didn't work is just too hard to do with the amount of time given.

Can't speak about rewards or difficulty because I didn't even finish my first run.

@raymundomanofdoo quote:

A friend and I were doing onslaught and we noticed that the only wave that doesn't drop mana is the undead wave with all the skeletons. This seems to be a bug to me, since the mobs you get in the waves are random. Either no mobs are supposed to drop mana or all mobs are supposed to drop mana. It seems odd to make that aspect random. Would love some clarification.

I think the issue there is that the undead waves are composed entirely (or almost entirely, there are occasionally casters), of mobs that can be summoned  by the casters. I don't think they ever drop mana normally, probably out of concern that it could be exploited.

On the rewards side, I just did a round for gold because I've been having issues with items from Onslaught (they have a tendency to get stuck in my temp item box). I finished the round and got... 248 gold. I'm pretty sure the average wave on freeplay normal drops more than that. Heck, if I'd picked pet eggs and just sold them I'd get double that. If you pick gold, it should be substantially more gold than you could get by selling the items from the other options. Otherwise it's just not worth it.

There's no way the recommended iPWR of 90 for Siphon Site D is accurate.  My iPWR 87 huntress got her ass handed to her in the second wave, mostly because of no mana to repair or upgrade anything.  I seriously doubt the missing 3 iPWR is going to make the difference.  If you're supposed to beat the entire round with the same defenses, iPWR needs to be way higher.

I also noticed that all lanes had something stronger than goblins coming from them even though I was playing solo.  On normal maps there's only one or two high-threat lanes, and some maps have none on the first wave.

Let me start off by saying I absolutely love onslaught mode and it is my favorite thing in the new update by far.

Points of interest so far:

- Warboar waves seem to by the hardest by far no matter what special passive they get. Probably too hard.

- I Love horde waves and I think they require the most teamwork and diversity out of all the waves because they tend to pour all the enemies into single lanes near the end of the waves. Hopefully you guys expand on this and make other waves similarly!

- Sadly it doesn't feel very rewarding yet, but i'm sure you guys are taking it step by step. Would be awesome if there was a guaranteed special pet, legendary piece of equipment, or wyvern tokens after a certain wave number. (Or if it is already in maybe make it display the actual rewards somewhere?)

- Mana seems a bit low between waves. I think there should be enough to repair defenses, but sometimes there just isn't enough.

- Not very solo-friendly. (Tons of fun with a group though!)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head right now. Thanks for the awesome update and keep up the good work!

@tdb quote:

There's no way the recommended iPWR of 90 for Siphon Site D is accurate.  My iPWR 87 huntress got her ass handed to her in the second wave, mostly because of no mana to repair or upgrade anything.  I seriously doubt the missing 3 iPWR is going to make the difference.  If you're supposed to beat the entire round with the same defenses, iPWR needs to be way higher.

I also noticed that all lanes had something stronger than goblins coming from them even though I was playing solo.  On normal maps there's only one or two high-threat lanes, and some maps have none on the first wave.

I agree 100%. Im over 100 and its still not nearly enough.

Considering Rewards:

- They are bad ( <200 gold after 3 rounds, seriously ?)

- The rewards require a list ( at least in the Forums ) of possible rewards. There is an urban legend "curency" includes "Daily Tokens" or "Pets" include the betsy-pet

- The reward-scaling is wrong, the rewards need to improve more with the waves.

@mokn quote:

The drops need to be higher ipwr, doing the first one 85-105 item req 90. The first 3 chest rewards on the map were item level 88, that's horrible considering that's 30min of game time.

I'm not sure if anyone tested progression in the game.

Most full parties with 90 Ipwr cant even complete the 1st round.  ><

@Underlander quote:

Rewards suck, lacks mana (which is maybe ok if the intent is making it hard). Currency rewards are a joke.

What's stupid is if you choose currency you get around 200 gold only, but if you choose pet the egg can be sold for 500.   Unless "currency" can give wyvern tokens at some point its completely pointless to choose that, just take pet and sell the eggs.

The rewards should increase with each rounds, better Ipwr gear the farther you get, unique eggs and more gold reward (200 gold round 1, add 100 each other round, 300 round 2, 400 round 3 and so on)

Thanks for the continued feedback! We're definitely looking at ways to make the mode feel more rewarding and working on solo play balance. With Hotfix 5.9, the Rounds that dropped limited/no mana (Undead) should be giving you the appropriate amount. Hopefully this eases some of the difficulty spike in the early stages of the mode and gives you tools to make it through some more Rounds. There will be more balance changes coming in future patches, and we'll keep looking at ways to make it as rewarding as it should be.

Onslaught still seems a bit overtuned, at least for my huntress (iPWR 99) + squire (iPWR 96) team.  I thought I'd have a shot at the hard onslaught (recommended iPWR 90), but there's just no way I can deal with 5+ fireflies having 13k+ HP each at once.  I guess having a monk would help, but this is still supposed to be leveling content, right?  I mean, iPWR 110 items require level 27.  If I level up all classes at once, what use is the XP bonus from having a level 50 in the deck?

The new normal mode onslaught seems more appropriate for my iPWR than hard.  I can survive two rounds before the flying enemies demolish the core.

Loot is disappointing.  I get way more loot in any normal map.  If onslaught continues to give this little loot, then it should at least be good loot.  At the moment it's the exact same loot as as normal maps, which means it usually doesn't have the stats I want.  Pet rewards are the exact same eggs I get everywhere else (or at least there's nothing to tell them apart).