Sign in to follow this  
iamisom

Loot/Item Revamp (Loot & Survive)

Loot/Item Revamp

• Items are now entirely based on the new Item Power system!

• Based on the Tier and Item Power of an item, it calculates what the stats for that item should be.

• You can always expect an item with higher Item Power of the same Tier to have higher numbers. You can also expect items with similar Item Power to have similar numbers.

• Tier adds some variation on the stats on top of the Item Power system.

• In the new system, a Legendary item of Item Power X will be equivalent to a Powerful with a higher Item Power, ensuring that you always get some upgrades.

• Maps now have a suggested/required Item Power number

• Suggested:  In Private Matches, you can still play a map that you do not have the suggested Item Power for, but good luck with that.

• Required:  For public games, you cannot join a game that you do not have the required Item Power for.

• Different maps, difficulties, and game modes now drop different Item Power ranges.

• The Item Power range on a map is split into three buckets:

• Common: lower end

• Uncommon: mid range

• Rare: higher end

• This means that you are less likely to see an Item Power 200 item in a bucket between 150 and 200.

• Secondary and Primary Stats on items have been reworked

• Secondary Stats should now roll with similar numbers if you have two secondaries on an item. They will have the same number value associated with them but different stats. This was done to help you better understand and equate items to one another.

• Passives have been rebalanced with the new Item Power & Level Cap increase - this is still a work in progress.

• Stats on items have been reworked:

• Defense Attack Rate has been removed as a Primary and Secondary stat that can appear on items.

• Defense Attack Rate Skill Spheres are still in the game.

• Four new stats were added to the game:

• Defense Critical Damage

• Defense Critical Chance

• Hero Critical Damage

• Hero Critical Chance

• Critical Chance does not appear on items as a primary or secondary stat but can appear on Skill Spheres and passives.

• Defenses and Heroes have a Crit Chance cap.

• Critical Damage can now appear as a Primary or Secondary Stat.

• Critical Damage can appear on Skill Spheres as well.

• Critical Damage is additive rather than multiplicative.

• Crit Explained:  Whenever you hit a target, there is a chance that you would deal critical damage to that target. The chance is based on your Crit Chance stat and the damage is based on your Crit Damage stat. Heroes, abilities and defenses have different potentials for Crit Damage. Some have a high Crit Damage potential and some have a lower Crit Damage potential.

• We’d love to hear some feedback on the new Crit System as we intend to refine the balance in a future update.

• Passive rebalance in the works:  We’re gradually transitioning to have defenses, abilities and passives scale based on a percentage of your state. As an example, the new Slayer Legendary Weapons will increase in effectiveness the more points you have in a specific stat. This transition allows us to better explain to all of you just how these passives work and what exactly you need to do to make it better. We feel this will result in cooler builds emerging over time. We’ve only done this on a select handful of items, defenses and abilities (read balance changes), but we’ll be transitioning the rest in a future update. Let us know how you feel about this.

• A note on Item Power:  With the Item Power system and balance changes, the game should feel very different than it did before. Old strategies may not be as effective as more and more new strategies start to emerge. Our goal is to provide you all with as many tools as possible to be as creative as you possibly can in coming up with cool fun builds. We’re one huge step closer with this update, and we hope you’ll enjoy it.

How do you feel about these changes?

I don't know if this has been addressed or not yet. But during Free Play loot drops are equivalent or even less than if I were playing campaign. Is this a bug or intentional?

Exactly what <3moMo said, it seems ridiculous atm to be locked into three free to play maps because all of the loot is level 17 with no ability to scale to play higher tiers in a public match.  I've gotten lucky on ramparts grinding the first 2 waves, but the gear isn't a "upgrade" it's just whites n greens I'll use to que up in higher public matches and switch back to my level 50 ipwr

This change is good, but it still need some tweaks. I find a Legendary and a Common (white) item, the legendary was better in every stats + the bonus, yet the common item was considered better by the game, which is wrong.

I also think there is a problem with loots in Free Play that is not rewarding.

As to "crit chance" and "crit damage", I can't see how this works in game and if it does work at all. It's all guesswork and pretty much dead feature.

If yu could incorporate estimated critical damage into tower DPS, it coudl help.

@Dinklage Is Coming quote:

Exactly what <3moMo said, it seems ridiculous atm to be locked into three free to play maps because all of the loot is level 17 with no ability to scale to play higher tiers in a public match.  I've gotten lucky on ramparts grinding the first 2 waves, but the gear isn't a "upgrade" it's just whites n greens I'll use to que up in higher public matches and switch back to my level 50 ipwr

The level 17 gear means you're playing Free Play on easy. For some reason the difficulty always defaults to easy, you're going to have to change it to normal every single time.

Not sure if its a bug or intended but boss dont drop any loot if your dead while the boss dies.

So if the boss kills you but still dies to your towers = no loot.

Anyway i have been noticing that nearly all my item drops are relics and weapons.

Hardly any armors/boots/gloves.

greets

Aidanya

• Affix rolls could be bit weighted on currently played class (e.q. currently I'm getting alot of Apprentice stuff while playing monk)
  • I don't feel progress as I can't get better loot because my gear isn't that great
  • Critical chance should show as a percent instead of int (I have no idea what 153 CC could mean)

as said before progression is too rough in free play especially because drop quality is too bad. i'm getting gear that are hardly better or even flat out worse than my gear i had from beating campaign as drops from free play normal. that's a big problem because progression is near impossible for me

also i had a white drop with terrible stats get double the ilvl of my legendary trinket just because i dropped the white from free play. that's sad. sure ilvl isn't the greatest system in the first place but it can still be improved on in this game

Drop quality is a huge issue to me, atm.  I've got over 17 hours logged since the patch and have yet to see a single mythical item outside of vendors and epics are very rare.  Grinding EXP and farming the vendors is a more rewarding experience and that's just sad.

Upgrading item is strange.

I was trying to upgrade legendary.

1st round all 5 slots filled cost is 300 gold.

2nd round, all 5 slots filled is 1500 gold.

3rd round, all 5 slots filled is over 4000 gold.

And it is only items with 8 upgrades... Higher quality items does not increase the wheel by a significantly large amount, while each enchantment level gives a random number of upgrades...

What is going on here?

yeah upgrading cost scales way too much off how many times an item has been upgraded and the amount of item xp different items give seems really funky. i put 2 similar myths in the wheel for the same item, one hardly gave any more xp than a white, yet the other eclipsed them both. admittedly the second item had a slightly higher ilvl but there's no way it could have affected the gain by as much as it did - it felt like a bug more than anything else. i wish i had screenshots of the difference, but i already used the second item in the upgrade.

I copied my reply to another thread about negative experience of the patch

@SorakaPlz quote:

I few that the game is cut into too many small intervals, which makes the loot progression near invisible.  The basic difficulty is tough, and with the progression of the loot quality and difficulty being the same, the game just feel like walking uphill barefoot and in snow, the entire time. With the limited item progression, and ridiculously low ipwr cap on each map, every if I am supposed to be able to do Nimbus hard, I can't do a Nimbus normal...

What I am getting is this: you need 100 ipwr (this refer to the difficulty, or the capability of a player) to do a map, the map drops items anywhere from 95 to 105. Half the time the item dropped is below the required ipwr, and the other half is better but the difference is only noticeable from stat. So little so, that getting the upper limit items from a map does not make finishing that map any easier.

Playing the game makes me feel like I am getting fed a grain of rice at a time after doing one math problem ... I mean I like rice and I am hungry for it, but it is too much work for too little reward. I want sushi-sized portion, something that makes me feel I have earned something that is equivalent to the work I put in.

Currently, the gameplay is very unrewarding, Players are basically progressing one map at a time, trying to get another 1% stat advancement with RNG in the mix, so that they can do the next map up, and experience the same frustration all over again.

I sure as heck want to see what the other side is like; maybe finishing free play hard would be a different world... That's my motivation for playing the game, not because I want to see how much stronger I can get, nor the difference in gameplay for end game. And I think that is pretty sad, for a game, which the primary purpose is so that people can have fun.

I do not know precisely what the range of item drop is, but I am going to use the same example I have in the quote. For example a map that is advertised to require ipwr of 100, currently it may be dropping ipwr 95-105. My suggestion would be to increase the item drop gap to something like "98-120".

Unlike most other game, DD2 does not have a way to continues after the core is being destroyed. There is currently no way to continue the game. And until the day when Trendy introduces a cash item that can be used to reconstruct the core, there is no way to continue after the core is destroyed. The game is going to lose players who cannot finish a map (due to whatever circumstances, like soloing, game getting unpopular, playing at unorthodox time, being a loner in real life, etc.) 

If the item drop range is bigger, after a number of trial the person will get items that is ipwr 120 from a ipwr 100 map, and there is a better chance of him/her to finish the map and go onwards, thus keeps playing and possibly invest in the game in the future.

Also, in the end game perspective, there is a bigger range of possible loot even for end game. Instead of the ipwr 300 that the other guy has, you can go farm more and try to get that fabled ipwr 350 item.

Outside of the loot drop range from each map, I think Trendy should have a way to adjust loot quality (whether the item belongs to the higher end of the ipwr range or vice versa) dynamically. I will called it "Dynamic Loot Drop System". For example, auto adjust the loot drop to be of higher quality, if a player is overleveled in a map or has been farming or failing that map X number of times. 

This can help a player progresses since eventually the wave of new players are going to slow down and newcomers would have to solo. This system make sure that they can progress to late game (of course the increase drop quality part would need to be explained somewhere in the tutorial, or have a visible counter on each map so they know when they can benefit from it), where the majority of the population is at, and that they would not quit the game out of frustration. This system also allow for a non-linear, relaxed, handicapped farming method for solo player or worse, solo single hero player.

A portion of players enjoy afk farming. I believe this system allows the afk-farmer and the active farmers to coexist. Afk-farmers would be farming a map of a lower difficulty, for example an ipwr 100 map with their ipwr 115 items and their overleveled characters. Under the current system, they will never be able to get better items because the loot is never going to be better than ipwr 105. With an increased loot range, and the Dynamic Loot Drop System, they will have better odds at getting the ipwr 120 items. Active players would be doing their ipwr appropriated maps, and their loot will start at 108-130. Who said we can't have both?

With a new patch and a new map, Dynamic Loot Drop System can help populate the new map by adjusting loot drop for the older map, making it easier to gear up for the new and more difficult maps. Also, if you already got the 2nd best items in the game from the 2nd hardest map, what else you gonna do? Keep doing that 2nd hardest map and get more of those 2nd best gears?

Of course this Dynamic Loot Drop System should work against endgame players, making the higher end of the end game items more prestigious... After all, they are already at end game and they are still playing, why not give them something to play for? Also these people are not going anywhere, right?

I feel like crit needs more oomph.

As it is now if you crit, great, you added a small amount of flat damage. When I first heard you were adding crit damage, I assumed it would be a multiplier. Like, by default have a crit be 1.5x, and perhaps 10 points of crit dmg equivalent to 1% bonus crit dmg. 1000 crit damage means a 100% boost, for a total of 2.5x or something. Then, when you get a crit, it actually means something. Instead, we get this flat damage stuff.

Crit varies in effectiveness depending on the defense too. For something that has quicker, smaller hits, it tends to be somewhat more effective overall than something that hits hard, but not often. Currently, my lvl 32 huntress has 906.5 crit damage, and an 18.49% chance to crit. My bonus 861 crit damage on my explosive trap that detonates one every 1.93s is good. My bonus 543 on my blaze balloon that hits every .83 seconds is really good. But a bonus 725 on my 10k geyser that detonates once every 6.44 seconds is absolutely worthless.

Let's do some quick math.To make things easier, I'm going to round my crit up to 20%. On average that geyser would have to attack somewhere around 5 times to crit once, taking somewhere around 32.2s to do so. 10489*5= 52445 dmg total. 52445/32.2= ~1628.73dps. Now, let's say one of those hits crit: (52445+725)/32.2= ~1651.24dps. That's a dps difference of ~25.51, for 20% crit chance and nearly 1k crit damage stat.  That's way too big of a difference in effectiveness compared to other defenses. If something is going to attack slower but hit harder, then the crit damage needs to reflect that. My geyser is literally no more powerful than another huntress with 0 crit stats.

I feel that  Crit chance and Crit damage are problem due one cant work well without the other. I.E in order for it to be effective you need to have both crit chance and crit damage, which many be possible at end game but is very rare during leveling. The reason is that if you got a good crit chance that was reliable it would mean you would sacrifice other stats, like DP and DH, and would render the crits would make little difference.  during leveling it is very hard to get a crit chance that is good combined with a good crit damage.  This means that they are two stats that become worthless and makes obtaining good DPS/damage to get through content hard as you then have to become dependent on DP and DH from gear and DS from spheres.

solutions could be:

• Give crit chance each level 
  • have a base crit chance for each tower and allow for it to be increase, current crit chance many need to be re balanced to insure people dont get insane crit chance. E.G Squire Cannon ball tower has a base crit chance of 10% + Character Crit Chance, Squire ballista Base Crit Chance of 15% + character Crit chance.
  • Give Crit Damage each level
  • Have a base multiplier for crit damage for each tower, so would only multiply the base damage before crit damage is applied. This could allow for towers with low attack speeds to get meaningful crits by giving them a base multiplier of say x2 so that when they do crit they hit hard.  E.G Cannon Ball tower base multiplier: x1.5, Ballista: x3

I would say the above would help make crit chance and crit damage more realivent at all stages of the game. 

Note: I am talking in terms of leveling (not end game) as I am currently around level 24 -28

Some issues:

- Betsy staff can spawn with Tower Rate stat equal to zero.

- Betsy staff has missing string in description

- Monk Aura Range stat displays no fractional part and seems to hard cap at 14%. I wouldn't mind if it has quickly falling diminishing returns, but now it feels discouraging as you find maxed item early in game.

- Monk Boost Aura bonus has no fractional part either

In general, item progression feels somewhat boring. You're basically get exactly same stats on every item, just higher by a small fraction. If there were (more?) special passives or stats appearing only at certain power level, it would be much more interesting.

@Warmonger quote:

If there were (more?) special passives or stats appearing only at certain power level, it would be much more interesting.

agreed entirely, it feels like you're always going for exactly the same item, just with better stats rather than different items. a lot more item passive variation would help make it less interesting and feel more like you're actually getting new items, not just higher stats (cool visual effects also help here :> )

This screenshot about sums up my experience...Better item in both stats and rarity, but a worse iPwr?

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-forma

I have just obtained a legendary chest with the passive "Defense Crit Chance increased by +481.33" ...I have absolutely no idea what these numbers are. I am used to see crit chances (actually any chances on any game) as percantage. Numbers seem very confusing to me. Especially now after I have chest which gives me +481.33 crit chance. According to my hero stats my Defense Crit Chance is Base 0.03 + 0.13 from items.  (I have a few item parts with def crit chance... if I add them I get 1302.7) ...I can only assume these are %. But what does the worth of 481.33 mean?

Please change all of this into %.

@Dreizehn quote:

I have just obtained a legendary chest with the passive "Defense Crit Chance increased by +481.33" ...I have absolutely no idea what these numbers are. I am used to see crit chances (actually any chances on any game) as percantage. Numbers seem very confusing to me. Especially now after I have chest which gives me +481.33 crit chance. According to my hero stats my Defense Crit Chance is Base 0.03 + 0.13 from items.  (I have a few item parts with def crit chance... if I add them I get 1302.7) ...I can only assume these are %. But what does the worth of 481.33 mean?

It's easy to understand. 481.33 is 4.8133% crit chance. One point of crit chance is .01%

@Dreizehn quote:

481 crit chance translates into 4.81% (I think).