New XP Curve and Level Cap (Loot & Survive)

I've been grinding from 1 up to 50 these past 2 days, and here's my 2 cents:

XP curve is pretty good, I'd say. And I don't mind the higher cap. I really like how the early game is paced for newer players, at least through the campaign.

Now when the campaign ends, that's when a big issue appear. Besides getting gear, there are actually no incentives of doing higher ipwr maps, as the xp rewards for most high ipwr maps are.. quite bad. This will turn most people to grinding the same easy maps for hours at end just to level up quicker. 

Now, while I do feel that the xp-gain on some of these easy free-play maps might be a tad overtuned, I think the main issue is that the higher level maps are very undertuned in terms of xp income. Thus, in order to make a more cohesive gameplay experience, I would suggest increasing the xp rewards for higher ipwr maps, much in tune to the increase of the ipwr levels of the items they drop. This will afford a more organic growth of a character, as they'll see their power increase in tune with their level. It will also to a larger extent prepare players to the end-game content. 

I feel such a change would better ease especially newer players into the game, and might also improve player retention. And all in all I also think it would make for an overall much better gameplay experience.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, XP curve is good, but i would like to point out something. In terms of p2p, there are alot of leechers just joining a session and afking with some script avoiding to be kicked. So, why there is not a large bonus xp for the builder, or at least all the builders? It will increase coop on xp and maybe afk guys will build...

Another thing i dislike, the cap on bonus xp, regarding the current hero deck. I have 4 heroes 50, so why should I xp less if i have 4 others heroes equipped on my deck, since the other ones 50 are not used and not in current deck? Why there is a cap, if players have more than 4 players 50 then let them have more xp bonus, nothing logic on cap; its boring to xp...

@Colonel Rambo quote:

I agree, XP curve is good, but i would like to point out something. In terms of p2p, there are alot of leechers just joining a session and afking with some script avoiding to be kicked. So, why there is not a large bonus xp for the builder, or at least all the builders? It will increase coop on xp and maybe afk guys will build...

Another thing i dislike, the cap on bonus xp, regarding the current hero deck. I have 4 heroes 50, so why should I xp less if i have 4 others heroes equipped on my deck, since the other ones 50 are not used and not in current deck? Why there is a cap, if players have more than 4 players 50 then let them have more xp bonus, nothing logic on cap; its boring to xp...

Agreed on the XP , if we have more level 50s we should be able to continue getting bonuses.  In regards to tower builders nah too many people wanna build and no one has room to build. Just need a way to remove afk's.  

I also did the rush to not miss the accessories. After 2 days, I can say that after the story mode, the "progression" was too slow after lvl 30.

• 2 weeks later...

XP from endgame is so messed up. I have been playing endgame insane and endgame onslaught thinking the extra challenge should yield extra rewards in XP. WITH a 75% XP boost on my characters, in private games (so all building is my own, no one is boosting me) I played 2 insane maps and 10 rounds/30 waves of endgame onslaught and got from level 34 to level 34 1/2... very frustrating. Got 16k xp from one map, was getting maybe 10k per round in onslaught.  

Last night I decided to forget about leveling (since its deathly slow!!!!!!) and went back to playing maps that drop loot my characters are high enough level to equip even though they don't need upgrades cuz I'm doing fine and just want to level. I played 5 maps on free play hard, which were way easier, and got around 250k per map, over 500k for killing Betsy. It was 10-20x more XP for a below-my-level easy run than playing the exact same map on endgame hard or endgame insane was giving.  (I don't know about Betsy... I didn't try clearing those maps in endgame.)

I can totally understand if your intention is that endgame is intended for level 50, not for players still trying to level their characters... but the difference seems really extreme.

@Liguar quote:

I can play through endgame hard (23k exp) and pick up loot but to equip it I need to go back and farm liferoot forest in freeplay hard (167k exp) on 3 characters.  And that's after I already got one hero to level 50, who had to grind levels like mad. I guess this is mostly a solo play gripe, but I feel like you should be able to get decent exp in the map where you're looking for upgrades, and not have to take a step backward.

Totally agree... that is my same frustration. Worse that its completely illogical to think the XP rewards would be so much greater in freeplay than it is in endgame... took me a week of grinding, then I quit playing for a week, then I tried again, then I finally figured out I had to go back to freeplay to level my characters instead of endgame... it's a mess if you ask me.

• 3 weeks later...

I got one of each character to 25-30 while attempting to play what could be considered 'properly' and pushing the highest difficulty I could. Then I realised that was extremely inefficient and felt very unrewarding XP wise.

Since then I've been running Throne Room on Free Play Easy. 4 Harpoons on each path, hit G, watch Netflix with DD2 off to the side while waiting to press G again. I'm not actively playing the game at this stage, and I don't really want to, because I'm stuck in the huge void between completing the campaign on Normal and having a few characters in my deck at level 50, when the real progression seems to start.

The XP bonus for having character/s at max level is nice, but the grind to get to max level just feels far too long and unrewarding.

• 2 weeks later...

After finishing the campaign, free play on hard and trying out all the little gimmicks in the tavern around lvl 34 I am pretty much bored right now. 

I agree on some level that the XP curve is out of balance, though with a little more content or adjusted mode difficulty (easy/normal/hard) - where you actually have a goal on beating hard on a high level - leveling up could be fun. I personally think an item level of 120 to successfully clear the hardest free play map is to low.

I need a higher goal in order to keep playing - just farming sucks.

BTW: when I started playing I was kinda disappointed that the campaign is so very short. Hope there are more maps coming fast as the game progress.