What do you consider a good Micro-Transaction for DD2?

What would you either like to see or expect to see as a micro transaction in the game, is everything going to be skin/cosmetic orientated or will there be a catch?

They've stated multiple times that they are implementing a system that is ethical. Only cosmetics and boosts unrelated to gameplay. I'm sure characters may come as DLC at some point but that is only natural and I'm sure its not going to be more than 5 bucks worth of pocket change.

You posted this video yesterday for me... and I literally watched that video 2 days ago when I got off DD2 for a break... is this why you posted about this? haha :P

@Dead-Eye Darkside quote:

They've stated multiple times that they are implementing a system that is ethical. Only cosmetics and boosts unrelated to gameplay. I'm sure characters may come as DLC at some point but that is only natural and I'm sure its not going to be more than 5 bucks worth of pocket change.

I wouldn't dismiss OP's idea too quickly, as there is some reason to it.  It may not be going pay to win, but there are some mechanics being added that take away from the game's experience.  Take egg incubation, for example.  It was put in place as a means to "bring people back into the game", because F2P games rely on that kind of crap.  It's certainly a conflict of interest, and honestly I don't see a way for Trendy to pull it off entirely ethically.  If time travel were possible, I would do everything I could to prevent Trendy from going with the f2p idea, but that's just whimsical fancy at this point.

I'd love to see the system planetside 2 has, where users can submit their model designs for availability in the Cash shop, we'd have lots of cosmetic variety that way. ( Planetsides player submitted cosmetics only, the rest of their shop is pretty awful. )

I'm fine with things like XP boosts, but I'd be upset if they implemented Stat boosts.
Anything that makes you more powerful at level cap then a free user should be avoided.

Oh and Dye, give us dyes!

Something tells me trendy will add things like instant completion for Pet Hatching, which i guess i can live with, but I'm not really fond of feeling that kind of pressure to pay, 8 hours is a really long time to wait.

@Squishydew quote:

I'd love to see the system planetside 2 has, where users can submit their model designs for availability in the Cash shop, we'd have lots of cosmetic variety that way.

I'm fine with things like XP boosts, but I'd be upset if they implemented Stat boosts.
Anything that makes you more powerful at level cap then a free user should be avoided.

Something tells me trendy will add things like instant completion for Pet Hatching, which i guess i can live with, but I'm not really fond of feeling that kind of pressure to pay, 8 hours is a really long time to wait.

Planet sides two system I exactly why I didn't play it for more than 50 minutes.... The games system is far to costly to have any fun.  They probably won't do EXP or Gold Gains, Bag space, costumes, pets, and cosmetic towers should be fine. Unless the game sucks of course which it won't but they might charge for new heroes that aren't just sex changes.

@Gunghoe quote:

@Squishydew quote:

I'd love to see the system planetside 2 has, where users can submit their model designs for availability in the Cash shop, we'd have lots of cosmetic variety that way.

Planet sides two system I exactly why I didn't play it for more than 50 minutes.... The games system is far to costly to have any fun.  They probably won't do EXP or Gold Gains, Bag space, costumes, pets, and cosmetic towers should be fine. Unless the game sucks of course which it won't but they might charge for new heroes that aren't just sex changes.

I was just talking about their player submitted cosmetics.

Have you considered with the reduction of gold ingame that they could charge for unlocks like spheres unlocks. In a way you could say this is "ethical" because its achieveable without paying, same with re-rolling pets if the re-roll item is a dropable item. 

Myself I have a small problem with heroes being P2P (Pay 2 play) that would be like them making ubers pay to use, if there was a gold cost (even if ridiculously high (50-100m) then I guess it could also be considered ethical. (like getting IP on LoL to unlock skins not something you can do every day but with a fair amount of time investment its possible) But I guess if they just sold em for $5-10usd each they will just pump them out like crazy with allot of balance issues or similarity's.

Would you pay a small subscription fee for your own tavern with allot of customization? where you could store trophys/maybe cosmetic housing drops or would you expect this to be free?

Imo it could be like Marvel Hero without gambling boxes. 100% cosmetic (costumes, pet skins, extra inventory, tower skins, personal taverns, etc.). I would probably collect them and buy them all. If they follow gambling boxes path, I'd probably stop spending money.

Things I would like to see in cash shot: skins (heroes, towers, personal tavern, pets, weapons).

Things I wouldn't mind to see in cash shop: inventory space, boosts for hatching pets, XP boosts, gold drop boosts.

Things I wouldn't like to see in cash shop: gambling boxes, DLCs; new heroes.

Things I would really hate to see in cash shop and would make me stop spending money: gambling boxes available for a limited time; gambling boxes with low chance for exclusive items; XP potions; p2w weapons/armors/pets.

I'm okay with pretty much anything that doesn't directly make characters more powerful.  Even instant pet hatching, as long as the rare pets have the same stat potential as the common ones.  I probably won't buy much myself, but I don't mind if others do.

I'd pay money for a big expansion-like DLC (several new levels, a new hero class or two, maybe a level cap increase), but I hope DD2 won't go down the DD1 path where we have to buy each hero and map individually.  Given that the game is going to be F2P, I don't really expect there to be any paid DLC with gameplay elements in it though.

Hopefully the PS4 boi's will spend plenty to keep TE afloat and keep the game alive with content.

Wish they hadn't backed themselves into a corner about only cosmetics (though maybe they have the infomatics to support this idea).

I have no problem paying for heroes, skins, levels, instant pet hatching (for a one time fee that never expires).

I'm concerned with the price of outfits. With the current model of $4 per mythical piece, it's easy to have a $16 full mythical outfit which is not ok. Costumes should cost no more than $10 max. I am and always have been in favor of cheap cosmetics and such, things that cost a $1. This brings on the dollar store mentality which says "oh it's only a dollar, I can afford that" and would end up with me buying everything in the store eventually and being pleased that I got the "full game". However if buying everything in the store eventually (as already its creeping up to) costs more than $50, then I have to say, "why bother?" because now we're looking at more than the price of a AAA game to enjoy all the fixings of this game. At that point I just give up and say go to hell with your micro-transactions and don't buy anything at all (main reason I bothered buying this early access was for the 50% off gems which brings them much closer in value to my ideal).

Anyways, that also brings up the point of what is a good price for those random reward boxes? Firstly I feel everything in the random reward boxes should be a mythical piece. Secondly I think that they would be better priced at 8 wyvern tokens (2 hard days, or 3 easy days of gameplay) also I hope you can't get the same thing twice, as they would really make them stinkers. Anyways, to unlock everything available from a chest should only take about a month each of dedicated play otherwise it's too long a time span for people to be interested. And I also feel the keys should be priced at about $0.25 each (as a play of a arcade machine).

Price creep is already filtering into this game severely, already to get all the costumes it will cost you $44, excluding other things.  When it comes to me choosing a fancy meal, or a virtual costume, that fancy meal will always win because it is real. So don't make me choose between a fancy meal and a costume, make the costumes a cheap desert add-on than I can buy like a candy bar on the display at the check-out counter.

One way this issue could be alleviated would be by having a more fluid in-game economy where gems could be traded for services and such, making gameplay valuable. Another would be by making achievements give small portions of gems, such that after completing say an entire section of achievements you could get enough gems to afford a costume, the amount changing by the difficulty of completing a section. Another would be replacing the worthless end-of-game chest with a valuable gem chest that gives you gems for completing a level, say 5-10 gems for each Betsy incursion hard mode complete which would give a hardcore farm 240 of them in a day (assuming 8 hours/20 minutes per game). Anyways, lots of ways to avoid price creep, something small like the last one that will add up over time so someone who likes the game and ends up playing a hundred or more hours of it is rewarded in a way.

A bikini and cat ears/tail for huntress. I would pay for that all day long.

I do not think they would make people pay for characters. They have been pretty clear that new content will not cost money...New Characters seems like new content to me.

@Folly quote:

A bikini and cat ears/tail for huntress. I would pay for that all day long.

The problem with that, is that these are western developers. Sure they could do that, but then it's a bit less ethical in the western market the characters in the game are around 15-16 years old. In DD2 they where about 8-10 years old. They could do that. But I don't know if it would fit the theme too well. This is a western game, maybe something asian inspired but generally speaking lolicon is a no no, over here. I personally wouldn't want the huntress over sexual. DD1 is anything to go by they won't go that route a bit skin but not to much.

@Gunghoe quote:

The problem with that, is that these are western developers. Sure they could do that, but then it's a bit less ethical in the western market the characters in the game are around 15-16 years old. In DD2 they where about 8-10 years old. They could do that. But I don't know if it would fit the theme too well. This is a western game, maybe something asian inspired but generally speaking lolicon is a no no, over here. I personally wouldn't want the huntress over sexual. DD1 is anything to go by they won't go that route a bit skin but not to much.

There was apparently some argument that came up in DD1 with the huntress and her butt crack showing that led to Trendy having to say that the DD1 huntress is over 18 years old.

The huntress already has a ears/tail skin with the wolf transformation, it's just not a cat nor sexualized.

As it as already been said: Cosmetics, slight quality of life stuff.

Just look at Path of Exile and Warframe (to some extent), both are pretty successful F2P games with most of the game's focus being PVE content. Selling cosmetics from clothes, acessories, pets/pet looks, colour packs, and loads of them.

Once in a couple of months bundle up some extra awesome cosmetics, make 2 or 3 bundles, each one more expensive than the other and with more "shiny things"*, and make it so those cosmetics are only available by buying those packs. Only purchasable for like 3 weeks or something, and then when the next set of bundles comes, take a small part of the time exclusive stuff from the previous bundles and make those  purchasable in the main store for all eternity.

* = Bundles essencially would have like a pet skin and an ingame title never again available, and then some awesome skins that would be again available when the next set of bundles release. Or, ignore the part about some parts being locked away forever, and just make it so that everything rotates do the gem store when the next bundles arrive.

Then sell some extra character slots, bags, extra bank tabs (yes, we need a bank ruled over by a race of Small Happy faced Rabbits). Hey, not satisfied with the colour of your newly bought Ninja Monk skin? Here, for only 2 dollars more you can unlock this Chromatic Scales, that add 3 extra colour variants to 1 of your paid skins.

--------------------------------

All this while providing every single PVE and Hero for free, and some bank slots, bags, and skins during special events, like Xmas, 1 year Anniversary, Turky Day... etc.

I know having everything for free would be awesome, but since the game will be F2P and locking away game content behind payment doors just splits the community, be happy that selling cosmetics is a viable and sustainable alternative, that allows us all to enjoy Dungeon Defenders 2.