why are they takeing away speed

It's for the same reason they put tower range into that category, because stat inflation made it hard to balance.  I think it's a cheap excuse honestly, but at least they're being consistent on it.

specifically it's because the geyser trap made it a more effective "wall" than actual walls

also (afaik) they had trouble with things working at high tower speeds like apprentice's "double shot" sphere on flamestrike towers.  So it'd mean difficulty in implementing new things, maybe

then just fix it up not get rid of it and the gyser towers being like that is a way of fighting makeing it your own makeing every one play the same way is going to make it boring

You can still make geyser+LA combo, its just goin to be less effective, or should I say not OP anymore.

BTW everyone was already playing the SAME way... geyser+AA or geyser+LA.

So I welcome this change with open arms.

no some people chose the like me a crap ton of towers and sword slashing to make it and the gyser strategy is a strategy thats what a tower defense game is about it requires more then 1 class are more then 1 player team work thats why all the tower have a diffrent use combine them togather to make them better enemys are going to get so much harder that what looks op now will be childs play when you get higher 

I am ReaperGriswold and I hate change

:D

@ReaperGriswold quote:

then just fix it up not get rid of it and the gyser towers being like that is a way of fighting makeing it your own makeing every one play the same way is going to make it boring

it's also because it will interfere with future additions.  "just fix the geyser tower" is like putting duct tape on a leaking dam.  Can't make towers that stun/snare/etc - or if you do you need to REALLY neuter them to make it balanced for endgame. 

I don't know what all this "every one play the same way is going to make it boring" because everyone will stack damage + crit... didn't everyone stack damage + speed already?

I honestly don't see the change to builds EXCEPT the tower health + tower speed huntress.  Nobody else cares about this change, they just swap speed for crit afaik currently

you'll still be able to play with non-optimal setups... I genuinely think you're just complaining for the sake of complaining because the change might as well be "speed is now called crit and good-bye perma stun geyser comps"

no crit makes you do more damage in 1 hit when you hit that % chance but speed makes you attack faster its not i hate change i like all the changes exept that 1 thats what forums are for changeing a stat like this should be put up to a vote thats why they say we help make the game

Could have just toned it back, and fixed other defenses in all honesty instead of just gutting the whole thing.

Why was the majority using geyser + LA? Because it worked really well. 

You know how damn badly I'd have loved to of used blaze balloons more, or had a use for squires spinning turret that had zero use at all? But you'd be silly to use them, because they were that garbage, much like barricades. Think the only time they were even remotely useful is to drop a couple to give an ogre something to wail on while you were busy with a second ogre.

Here's to hoping a lot of the defenses are actually worth using with the new changes. It's gonna be a sad sad time if everyone is back to LA spam.

I personally loved to have a monk with boosted range and barricade health+ on boost auras, and then put a boost aura in the middle of cannons, ballistas, and 1 barricade. Then stack gear with defense power and defense speed. It was super satisfying to see javelin throwers die before being able to attack. Removing tower speed as an improvable stat will dramatically reduce the dependability of this build....

Not a fan at all of the Gyser + LA combo, because the Ogres would simply ignore it, and I always try my hardest to take pot shots at the Ogres face. Rather difficult to do if you are his favorite punching bag.

@ReaperGriswold quote:

no crit makes you do more damage in 1 hit when you hit that % chance but speed makes you attack faster its not i hate change i like all the changes exept that 1 thats what forums are for changeing a stat like this should be put up to a vote thats why they say we help make the game

Literally, it's different in exactly the way you just described.  Literally.  But how's that change your strategy?  The way you prioritize stats on your builders?  It doesn't!  Unless you had a tower speed + tower health huntress for geyser spam... which is like I said, the only thing really being affected

You looked for gear with tower speed + tower power.  Now it'll be tower power + tower crit.  Not a big deal, right?

... I loved in DD1 watching my towers attack insanely fast. it was very enjoyable. Now it's removed? Man.. did we already do a vote and I missed it? 

Tower crit is going to be so dumb because there is a "CHANCE" that you will do good against the ogre? 
"oh guys, lets hope my towers crit the boss before it destroys us"
"welp, maybe next game my towers will crit and we can win.. till then, lets just repeat and rely on luck :D" 

I'm not one to complain about Trendyents choices, but this is a bit... silly..

Maybe things will change in the future. Hoping for the best :)

Crit is going to be LEAST random on an ogre since it'll last for the longest and not be as volatile as, say, a drakken being killed in 1 crit shot or 2 shots, which could mean a volley of an attack or not.  But with nightmare and beyond being added I doubt anything's dying to 1 shot that'll matter so crit being volatile and "too random" for safe runs is going to be way smoother than you're lead to believe

To come up with your script there is pretty ridiculous lol

"oh guys, lets hope my tower stats are at least 1350 or whatever arbitrary number I need to slay the ogre before it [[4915,hashtags]] us"

"welp, it wasn't enough, lets just repeat the map to get me better gear until I hit that magic #"
c'moooooon, you're exaggerating this

When tower attack times get under 1 second, the differences between their base attack time virtually ceases to matter. It takes away an entire dynamic to defense design and it is 100% a good decision to not let it get out of control like it is already. If you want laser turrets that shoot across the map DD1 is still there.

It will just change the way you play a bit. There is a wipe and game will be different after it. So we all will need to adjust to it again and find our new strategy to play it. As of now I found it to be very easy. I just level up the speed and stunlock everything with cannon towers. Now I will start from level 1 and might find something else to be best for my play-style. I think they could keep speed, just nerf that stat. But when patch comes I will find a new way to play with no problems.

Because a few years from now your Geyser cooldown will be 1 second and OP as hell because of new content and higher stats.

Speed does not work unless theres a definitive end to content and stat increases that trendy can predict.
The removal of speed makes total sense, though crit seems like a boring stat to exchange it with.

We don't want repeat the issue of DD1 when towers had 10 or 20 shots per second. Especially this won't balance well with stun effects or knockup and would easily freeze enemies forever.

There still will be tower speed sphere, but now withing sane limits and under control.

Don't panic, I'm sure we'll have some other OP combo once the changes hit, if that's what you're worried about.

There was also the issue with the animations breaking down.  We weren't even at big stat numbers yet and they already were having problems animating the towers that fast.  

I always enjoy watching people going nuts when some changes are coming.

Maybe you guys should wait till the patch comes live and THEN complain if it sux.

That's what alpha is for : trying new stuff.   If it works, good, if not then try something else.

I agree patching out speed stat is the cheap way to go about it. Geysers just needed a hard cap on speed. Hell, make geysers not affected by speed at all and give it its own passive speed effect.

I don't get how DD1 did not have this issue, but now it's considered gamebreaking.

I totally do not like randomized crits.

@Ratiasu quote:

I agree patching out speed stat is the cheap way to go about it. Geysers just needed a hard cap on speed. Hell, make geysers not affected by speed at all and give it its own passive speed effect.

I don't get how DD1 did not have this issue, but now it's considered gamebreaking.

I totally do not like randomized crits.

DD1 Did have this issue, thats why It's changing
The tower speeds in DD1 where mental, it makes no practical sense to have towers that fire that fast, all it does is lag up the game, its much better to just have speed capped more powerful projectiles from a performance and animation standpoint.

Crits are fine as long as the percentages are sensible.  I'd say in the endgame defenses should have a 25-50% crit chance with 50-100% crit bonus damage.  That would make them reliable enough, especially against ogres, but not too overpowered.

I don't think speed is going away entirely. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there will still be speed spheres as well as speed as a special stat on higher tier gear (like range boost now). With critical hits introduced, I think speed will be even more important. It will just be harder to come by, and will likely not be boostable to the point it strains animations, balance, etc.

I'm also suspect of the critical hit mechanic. Mostly I'm sad because I really liked the earthly knock up tower, but with such a low native fire rate, I fear it will be of little use, due to a lower relative probability of getting a crit hit, compared with other (cheaper) towers. All of that is assuming the mechanic is implemented well. There are examples of games where the mechanic was not balanced properly, and it was very detrimental to play. I can appreciate that it is possible to implement with little or no change to play. I'm just not sure it will happen. Here's hoping Trendy knows what they're doing.