Sign in to follow this  
iamisom

How do you move past a bad morning?

So you had a terrible night's sleep, or someone pissed you off first thing in the morning. For me, it sets the tone for the entire day. What do you do to move past it? Or does something like this not even bother you?

For me, I like to take 10 minutes on my porch and just detox. Sometimes I'll play something happy/chill like Belle and Sebastian.

I just don't sweat the small stuff.

And in the grand scheme of things, it's ALL small stuff.

P.S. ----  If something is really bothering me, I usually just call my wife and she somehow makes me feel better without even saying anything relevant.

Food is comforting but can make you fat.  :)  I enjoy sitting outside as well though. I may drive with the windows down even if it is hot.

Also agree with Zea.  Talking with the wife helps a lot too.  

For me hearing music is a great way to get rid of any aggressions.

Currently, when I leave the house, I ride my bike to the train station, ride the train for 20 minutes and additional 10 minutes later I'm at work. That's the perfect time for me to listen to music or reading.

When I need to get rid of bad mood I mostly listen to industrial or metal. ...or 8bit music. ^^

In my opinion the best to put off steam is doing sports like going for a run. It's great but there is not always the best opportunity to do so. 

Loud music with a fast beat while driving to work then keeping myself busy enough at work so I don't have time to think about the stupid stuff

@Zea quote:

I just don't sweat the small stuff.

And in the grand scheme of things, it's ALL small stuff.

P.S. ----  If something is really bothering me, I usually just call my wife and she somehow makes me feel better without even saying anything relevant.

Good advice! Also, my wife has the same mystical powers. 

@ddace quote:

Food is comforting but can make you fat.  :)  I enjoy sitting outside as well though. I may drive with the windows down even if it is hot.

Also agree with Zea.  Talking with the wife helps a lot too.  

Yeah, I tend to find comfort in food. My weight fluctuates like crazy because I usually resort to overeating during stressful work periods. 

@VikingMoose quote:

I shoot paper men (gun range).

Nice! Do you have a favorite gun? I haven't shot a gun in years.

I usually take a nice long shower. Nothing feels better than a shower. (Which I need to do as Steam keeps failing to activate my keys and I want to throw my computer out the window)

I've been working on my inner self for a while now and I've found that "recognizing" was Step 1 for me. Once I've recognized the emotional state, I will Step 2, "meditate" to ground myself (this could be anything, like everyone has done above, even walking is a form of meditating) and reflect on the emotion to determine the root (sleep, stress, social, etc). Step 3, is my favorite and love the use of wording here that Isom pointed out, "DETOX DETOX DETOX". Music, Incense, Smudging or walk to the Ocean and sit on the rocks which works for me beautifully. If I don't have access to anything like that during these emotional states, I will be 100% honest with people and tell them, "Hey, I'm a little off my game today, just a fair warning" and just ride the wave as best as I can. I could probably go on and on on this subject but I'll cut it short for now. 

Thanks everyone for the great insight!

Cheers!

If I didn't sleep well, my preferred solution is to sleep more.  Luckily that's almost always an option as I work from home.  If I absolutely must get up, then I go about my business in a zombie-like emotionless state (lack of emotion is directly proportional to lack of sleep) and take a nap at the first opportunity (and the second, and third, and so on if the first wasn't enough).

Someone pissing me off in the morning is no different from any other time of the day.  Depending on the severity of the piss-off, it might take me half an hour to several hours to cool down, during which I usually can't concentrate on anything productive.  I might play a game, take a walk, listen to music etc. until I feel better.

@nuzo quote:

I've been working on my inner self for a while now and I've found that "recognizing" was Step 1 for me. Once I've recognized the emotional state, I will Step 2, "meditate" to ground myself (this could be anything, like everyone has done above, even walking is a form of meditating) and reflect on the emotion to determine the root (sleep, stress, social, etc). Step 3, is my favorite and love the use of wording here that Isom pointed out, "DETOX DETOX DETOX". Music, Incense, Smudging or walk to the Ocean and sit on the rocks which works for me beautifully. If I don't have access to anything like that during these emotional states, I will be 100% honest with people and tell them, "Hey, I'm a little off my game today, just a fair warning" and just ride the wave as best as I can. I could probably go on and on on this subject but I'll cut it short for now. 

Thanks everyone for the great insight!

Cheers!

I need to try this. My biggest issue is that I do Step 1 without moving to Step 2. I can usually move through all three steps when my mood is agitated or annoyed. When I get stressed or furious, I enter this aggressive/isolation state, and it can take hours to come back to some semblance of a normal mood. 

Thanks for this, [[62273,users]]!

@curtisgk quote:

I usually take a nice long shower. Nothing feels better than a shower. (Which I need to do as Steam keeps failing to activate my keys and I want to throw my computer out the window)

Yeah, this is my number two method when my number one fails.

I look at the scars on my body from two wars and remember the guys who didn't make it back.

Then my day doesn't seem so bad.

Also doing something nice for someone else makes you feel good.  Plus people assume its because your a nice person

@iamisom quote:

I need to try this. My biggest issue is that I do Step 1 without moving to Step 2. I can usually move through all three steps when my mood is agitated or annoyed. When I get stressed or furious, I enter this aggressive/isolation state, and it can take hours to come back to some semblance of a normal mood. 

Thanks for this, nuzo!

@curtisgk quote:

Yeah, this is my number two method when my number one fails.

You're welcome, iamisom

Edited:

For me*** it's all about Practice, practice and more practice! The more situations that come up to put me in those emotional moods, the more experience I gain and the less time it takes for me to release the stress and ground myself.

For me the very important key step is still recognizing and everything else just falls into play usually.

Showering is really awesome to ground, love it! If you think about it, showering is one of the few times most people actually come into contact with the earth to truly ground and balance out the positive ions we collect throughout our "technological rich days". Sadly, it's also probably the only time a lot of people in this busy world these days actually ground themselves :(

Cheers!

Had a pretty bad morning and my roommate felt the need to use the shower and take all the hot water. Luckily, a nice brunch with the husband is always a good way to make my day better.