Players helping players subforum or keep them in General discussion?

Posted in another thread but figured I would just ask everyone.  I prefer keeping as much in general discussion as possible so I don't overlook new questions (not sure how much I would lurk in another sub) but there may be a benefit to some organization.  So far trendy seems to be letting some people that do not want to help further the game keep threads alive and I kind of appreciate that, might as well let the new kids see the full environment that they are stepping into.

Also from personal experience the good people in this game continuously blow me away, so I would keep letting the community step up and be awesome, regardless of where they move questions.

Thanks for making a new thread about this topic (although it would have been better either in website feedback or suggestions). Iamisom already asked what we think about it and as far as I have read the reactions were overwhelmingly positive. A 'players help playes' subforum would be a ray of light for new players who feel overstrained with the game.

Considering I just asked a question in general around feeling "overstrained with the game", I wholeheartedly support a sub forum where I could see all past questions "for noobs" :) I went 9 pages back in general but didn't find much. The thread I started has very helpful info in it, but in a few days it'll probably be lost to the ether.

theres a lot of love/hate surrounding the upcoming wipe, it will die down, some might leave, the forums and game will get back to being their awesome normal selves.  Can't wait!

I really love this idea.
But I think it should be moderated much more than the other forums. A no-tolerance policy on fighting and general bullying should be in place for posts in that forum. New players are going to go there for helpful hints and such and it needs to be the friendliest darn place ever.

@Dead-Eye Darkside quote:

I really love this idea.
But I think it should be moderated much more than the other forums. A no-tolerance policy on fighting and general bullying should be in place for posts in that forum. New players are going to go there for helpful hints and such and it needs to be the friendliest darn place ever.

We would implement a pretty strict policy on fighting and bullying. Our normal escalation process is warning -> temporary ban -> permanent ban, but for this subforum, I think we should escalate straight to temporary ban. Would that be good enough?

@Ikorg quote:

theres a lot of love/hate surrounding the upcoming wipe, it will die down, some might leave, the forums and game will get back to being their awesome normal selves.  Can't wait!

It's the same as upcoming movies.    A lot of people spit on the trailer saying its crap, keep complaining until it goes out in movie theater and in the end those people are the 1st ones to go see it and say it was not that bad.

Yes a "newby to tower defense" sub forum for those who never played this kinda game before could be really helpful.

@iamisom quote:

I really love this idea.

We would implement a pretty strict policy on fighting and bullying. Our normal escalation process is warning -> temporary ban -> permanent ban, but for this subforum, I think we should escalate straight to temporary ban. Would that be good enough?

I think anytime someone belittles someone legitimately asking for help, and resorts to any sort of name-calling, regardless of how minor, it should be dealt with severely. So I'm more than okay with that route.

I'm all for making that area of the forums very strict, as that's where some new people may go and you want to retain those players.

@iamisom quote:

I would strongly depend this on the content of the user's statement(s). Some are trying to be funny but do not realize how hard it is to get irony on written stuff like forums etc.

Well... but I guess you and your team are already well aware of that. ^^

As a point of clarity, we would probably want to call such a forum by a different name than "Players helping Players" to disambiguate from the DD1/DDE forums of the same name which are intended for community tech support.

@iamisom quote:

I really love this idea.

That would be best I think. I assume this would just automatically start them at the 2nd stage in that chain? So if they don't learn their lesson straight to permanent ban?

@Alhanalem quote:

As a point of clarity, we would probably want to call such a forum by a different name than "Players helping Players" to disambiguate from the DD1/DDE forums of the same name which are intended for community tech support.

This is a good point. In the future, we plan on changing our Tech Support forum into a "players helping players"-type subforum. At the moment, we usually handle players twice -- first on the forums, and then we direct them to our support email when we need more information from them that shouldn't be on a public forum. With our small support team, it's better for us to only handle players once, especially when we move towards F2P and the explosion of requests we're sure to get.

With that in mind, should we create two separate "Players Helping Players" subforums -- one for new players/help with the game itself and one for tech support issues -- or should this be the same subforum?

@iamisom quote:

I really love this idea.

That would be best I think. I assume this would just automatically start them at the 2nd stage in that chain? So if they don't learn their lesson straight to permanent ban?

Exactly. 

@iamisom quote:

This is a good point. In the future, we plan on changing our Tech Support forum into a "players helping players"-type subforum. At the moment, we usually handle players twice -- first on the forums, and then we direct them to our support email when we need more information from them that shouldn't be on a public forum. With our small support team, it's better for us to only handle players once, especially when we move towards F2P and the explosion of requests we're sure to get.

With that in mind, should we create two separate "Players Helping Players" subforums -- one for new players/help with the game itself and one for tech support issues -- or should this be the same subforum?

I think with the community as it stands it would be feasible to have the tech-support questions in with the gameplay related ones. I'm sure our community has plenty of tech-heads for sorting out stuff like graphical issues or PC problems related to the game. The account stuff would have to be completely in Trendy's court though :P

If there could be a way to say tag a post as 100% in Trendy's court though? Could the forum have post with the  "@" handles of whoever is in charge of the accounts and technical support? We could basically flag a post as needing support that we as players simply cannot do anything about (Purchase issues/Account problems/Maybe a cheating report or something) Like

"Oh hey [[4370,users]] this person needs your help" so it shows up in your notifications feed and you don't have to go hunting.

@iamisom quote:

I think with the community as it stands it would be feasible to have the tech-support questions in with the gameplay related ones. I'm sure our community has plenty of tech-heads for sorting out stuff like graphical issues or PC problems related to the game. The account stuff would have to be completely in Trendy's court though :P

If there could be a way to say tag a post as 100% in Trendy's court though? Could the forum have post with the  "@" handles of whoever is in charge of the accounts and technical support? We could basically flag a post as needing support that we as players simply cannot do anything about (Purchase issues/Account problems/Maybe a cheating report or something) Like

"Oh hey iamisom this person needs your help" so it shows up in your notifications feed and you don't have to go hunting.

I like that a lot. What does everyone else think?

Would definitely help people more quick and allow for faster replies. Not that you already don't reply in 30 minutes or less when I need help, but IN CASE some of the staff is a bit busy with making the game more great than it already is :)