Complete Noob - where to start learning the basics?

Hey Folks,

I'm completely new to the Dungeon Defender franchise and feel a bit lost on how to figure out what I need to be doing (besides playing the game :). Is there a guide or anything around? I realize the game is changing all the time, and that guides might get out-dated, but there must be core concepts (builder? Are you supposed to swap chars mid game to use their stuff?) that don't change. Are there any youtube videos (I tried looking) that might give a nice intro to the core concepts? Honestly, I feel like I'm playing this game in the dark, with my hands tied behind me :)

Trendy, I realize this is still alpha but your tutorial in-game kind of sucks. There seems to be tons of stuff to know and almost no info. :( And my god, the amount of armor you get after like 3 maps is crazy. I have to spend 20 mins going through trying to figure out what to sell - which is much more difficult when I have no idea what the stats do and which are important to each class. /cry 

All that said, the game is fun, just very overwhelming to a noob with no clue how to play "properly" or what would even be defined as properly. 

Ah, well, your timing is rather unfortunate.

Not for a lack of community effort. There are plenty enough helpful players around who don't mind showing you how things work. It's just...

Anything we teach you right now might very well become useless in 8 days time.

There is a huge game-changing patch on it's way, you see. Everyone is going to be reset to level 1 and will have to learn the new system, same as you.

That being said, I would recommend focusing on Defense stats for your first character. Defense Power = damage from towers. Defense Speed = rate of fire from towers. Defense Health = the damage the tower can take before going boom.

It's a good idea to keep your towers alive. It will always be less expensive to repair the tower instead of building it from scratch. But, keep in mind that upgrading a tower will also repair it completely.

DaMattGuy is right. The game is going to be getting a major patch very soon and lots of stuff is gonna change but you know what? I appreciate when new players ask for help and are willing to learn.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Darkside_sword264/

Thats my steam. If you have any questions about DD2 add me and I will try my hardest to answer them.

Edit: OH the irony from the post below me.

Be polite in game and make some friends.  Most of the people in game are willing to help.. Don't leach and be appreciative for the assistance you get.

Thanks for the feedback. I think you covered a VERY important point:

@jmac quote:

Trendy, I realize this is still alpha but your tutorial in-game kind of sucks. There seems to be tons of stuff to know and almost no info. :( And my god, the amount of armor you get after like 3 maps is crazy. I have to spend 20 mins going through trying to figure out what to sell - which is much more difficult when I have no idea what the stats do and which are important to each class. /cry 

Maybe an extra option called 'tutorial' in the main menu would be a great help. I think a scripted automatic-moving ingame-cinematic  with captions would already be totally satisfying for any new player.

For a lot of us DD2 players it is hard to think about which impression new players get about this game because a lot of the current DD2 players have already been playing one of the former games. Thanks for your thoughts about this; I think your feedback about this is priceless.

And actually I'm glad because I always got the feeling as if we had too much loot but it seemed to me everybody else likes it that way. Eons ago I made a suggestion about reducing loot drop rate by 60% and therefore increasing the change for good quality by 20%; sadly nobody liked that idea. ^^

Yes, you are supposed to have multiple characters and swap between them during build phase.  That's not going to change in the upcoming patch.  I believe most players have either 3 builders (characters focused on tower stats) or 2 builders and 1 dps (character that focuses on damaging the enemies with his/her weapon) in their active deck.  Campaign mode especially is entirely possible to beat using a single hero, but you'll have an easier time if you use more than one.  Of course, leveling two heroes takes twice as long.  I recommend starting with either apprentice or squire (due to barricades), with a monk as your second character if you wish (because of boost aura).

As Matt said, your first character should be a builder.  Equip items which have at least one defense stat, preferably two.  If you have a choice, prefer speed or damage over health to begin with.  It's always better if the enemies die before even reaching your barricades.

The item flood will get easier as you progress in levels.  You may already have noticed that sturdy items (yellow) are rather basic and should be replaced with powerful (green) whenever the opportunity arises.  Towards the end of the campaign epic items (blue) will always beat powerful, so you can start selling powerful items without a second thought (or using them as ingredients to upgrade your equipped items).

There are probably guides that explain particular defense builds in detail, but as a general tip, try to identify choke points along the enemy paths.  Building closer to the main target may allow you to defend multiple lanes with a single set of defenses.  Pay attention to the location secondary targets (gray shield icon) - on some maps it's not beneficial to protect them as doing so would require you to spread your defenses too thin.

The colored bars under spawn point labels roughly indicate the power of enemies coming from it, so you can bolster your defenses accordingly.  An exclamation mark next to the label means that a boss enemy is going to spawn there.  Most of the bosses seem to come from semi-random locations, but the ogre in the last wave always comes from the same place on most maps.

@tdb quote: Pay attention to the location secondary targets (gray shield icon) - on some maps it's not beneficial to protect them as doing so would require you to spread your defenses too thin.

While that is true, do keep in mind if it is feasible to defend it during leveling, you should do so, as you will not only have less total enemies to deal with (when a secondary objective goes down, a new enemy spawn will open up, but it also give a bonus to xp from the map, so you get more xp in total

@GummiBear quote:

While that is true, do keep in mind if it is feasible to defend it during leveling, you should do so, as you will not only have less total enemies to deal with (when a secondary objective goes down, a new enemy spawn will open up, but it also give a bonus to xp from the map, so you get more xp in total

I believe that exp bonus is slightly higher than the EXP that you would get from the new lanes spawns to reward good play.
Its usually in the upper levels of difficulty is tends towards a much more streamlined build if you let the secondary objectives fall but this is not always true. There are so maps that if the secondaries go down then all hell is about to break loose.

DD2 is weird sometimes  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

@Dead-Eye Darkside quote:

@GummiBear quote:

I believe that exp bonus is slightly higher than the EXP that you would get from the new lanes spawns to reward good play.
Its usually in the upper levels of difficulty is tends towards a much more streamlined build if you let the secondary objectives fall but this is not always true. There are so maps that if the secondaries go down then all hell is about to break loose.

DD2 is weird sometimes  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Actually it been stated by @iamisom (i think, could have been another dev too, but cant really find the post anymore :( ) in the past that the more enemies from the extra spawn does not equate to any increase in xp or loot, xp and loot is determined at the start of each wave, and whether the sub core is up or down, you get the same amount, and then distributed out to enemies that spawn after that

@GummiBear quote:

Actually it been stated by @iamisom (i think, could have been another dev too, but cant really find the post anymore :( ) in the past that the more enemies from the extra spawn does not equate to any increase in xp or loot, xp and loot is determined at the start of each wave, and whether the sub core is up or down, you get the same amount, and then distributed out to enemies that spawn after that

Huh. I thought it was just  loot and gold that was fixed and each enemy had an exp value. My bad. Lemme dig a bit and see if I cant find a clarification from a dev or something. *dives into google*

Edit: *surfaces from google* Actually I just checked the time and I need to go out. Don't hold you breath I'll be out for a bit. A mission for when I get home then :P

yeah this game might draw players that never played a loot based game before, Or understand the basics of the tavern, as it got more complex.

Right now items are basically stat sticks with like 2 interesting legendaries for each class, and a few that are multi class.  Stats are going to be revamped, and gear machanics should change, to hopefully make your legendaries feel well legendary, And not because they are rare.

The progression system WILL change. Quests are supposed to help a bunch with the campaign/totorial

Bunch of big changes are going to happen with both balance and how we progress in the next patch. 

I wonder how the game is going to run without the tower atk speed component.

Will we just farm dp/dh items?

It will be for sure the new crit or crit damage stat for towers. Health isnt important outside of barricades or geyser traps

and for most content barricades are not even important at least currently :P, I do wonder what a trap huntress will be wanting as 2nd stat beside DH now, since neither crit nor dmg would be very important there :P

@GummiBear quote:

Huh. I thought it was just  loot and gold that was fixed and each enemy had an exp value. My bad. Lemme dig a bit and see if I cant find a clarification from a dev or something. *dives into google*

Edit: *surfaces from google* Actually I just checked the time and I need to go out. Don't hold you breath I'll be out for a bit. A mission for when I get home then :P

Hmm the post i remembered was this one (seems it was a different dev :P), which actually does only say gold and loot, doesnt mention xp at all, so could be either one though. (do keep in mind if you go into the game you will notice you do not get xp for each enemy you kill, but it rather seem to come in batches throughout the wave giving a few thousands each time (at 25+)

[[35625,users]]

(Quote seems busted for me. Dunno why)
With the removal of Defense Speed, Geyser Traptress is declared dead (Time of Death: Wipeaggedon Patch) and "Traptress" is just the word for builder Huntress now. Power is worth a damn again if you want to actually use explosive traps, lol ballons and the sneakiest of barricades that actually fire poison darts.

also: thanks for that clarification. I guess I might toss a question about exp at the next devstream.

Thanks for all the great info guys, really helps. Keep it coming if you think there's more I (and others) might want to know that isn't clear.

I really appreciate it!

EDIT: Actually one last question, does only the hero that your are using to fight get XP from a map, or do all hero's used get some (not at home to test :()

Only your active hero gets the exp.

But that brings up a good point.

Maybe we could get a skill sphere that lets inactive heroes get exp also, even at a much slower rate. Just so that players who prefer to level everyone at once won't have to replay the same maps over and over and over. And over... And over...... (ugh)

My recommendation, keep joining games and asking what stats the builder has if they are your class.  This will get you an idea of what gear you will need to be able to do it yourself.  Watch where they place towers then experiment on your own.  Most of this game is trial and error.

You don't have to stay near a tower/barricade when you are upgrading or repairing it, hit upgrade/repair and keep moving.

Use the minimap to your advantage, try to glance at it from time to time to see what's coming down the lanes. If you see a ton of mobs coming down another lane on the minimap maybe you could move to that lane before they arrive to help the towers.

before a wave starts hit shift while facing the lane signs to see how many of each mob type will be coming down each lane, for instance if you notice there will be many flying mobs on the next wave maybe you could build a monk skyguard tower there.

hit e while looking at a tower to see how useful it has been and how many kills it has gotten.

@Darkeagle quote:

before a wave starts hit shift while facing the lane signs to see how many of each mob type will be coming down each lane, for instance if you notice there will be many flying mobs on the next wave maybe you could build a monk skyguard tower there.

Flying mobs have their own entrances, so their combined numbers can be seen even without the shift key.

I've found large numbers of kobolds to be a more serious threat, especially in the first or second wave.  Projectile towers can't shoot them dead fast enough, and a few dozen kobolds can easily destroy an entire defensive formation.