Upcoming Website Changes

Greetings Defenders, 

Over the next few months, we will be updating the website incrementally. The first of these changes will go live tomorrow. Please forgive the "halfway state" it will be in. Below is a link to our website mockups to give you a general idea of where we would like to take the site in the future. These mockups are subject to change between now and implementation. (Most of the mockups show Mikado text, but we changed it to Open Sans. There’s an image in the link below showing the font.)

Website Mockups

Tomorrow’s update is primarily for the front page and blogs. We’re starting to move towards a new look across the site, which has been partially implemented across the site. You’ll notice that the forums (with the exception of the forum homepage) has been updated to the new look. The functionality of the forums will remain the same until our specific forum update in the next few months -- but there are some new DD2 emoticons!

We decided to update the color pallette of the site for a few reasons. The main issue was that the site was too busy. Background images were competing with the colorful content in the center column. We went with a dark, neutral pallette to allow the artwork to stand out, which we hope will make the front page more skimmable and make a media-rich experience without being visually overwhelming. We changed the font from Mikado to a more web-friendly font to improve legibility of the text, especially for bold and italic text. We updated the navigation bar to allow notifications to be more visible, to expand the site for other pages in the future and to improve visibility of our support and social pages. The front page sidebar has been updated to increase visibility of livestreams, forum posts, influence votes and the DD2 wiki.

Design is a process of testing decisions and making refinements to things. Please provide as much constructive feedback as you would like, and we will try to incorporate as much as possible into future iterations of the site. If you like someone's suggestion, please “like it.” This will allow us to prioritize the order in which we need to implement any changes. 

We look forward to hearing your feedback!

Ooh! Loving the new style for the website so far. It looks rather eye-friendly, as well as letting the artwork on the background stand out :D

I'd like to give a feedback regarding the posts in "Devstream Posts" and "Influence Posts" section. It would be nice to have a "Read More" option to those who type in a wall of paragraph as a single post (No offense). Maybe like after they reach in a certain number of letters, it will hide out the rest and give the readers a Read More option if they would like to see the rest. Imo, this is good because it'll allow more posts to be seen before you click on the "Load More" button. :)

I think a forums chatbox (or even a IRC chat for DD2) would be a good addition. 

I like the new aesthetic and design, but if we're on the subject of renovating the website, could we see something done about the search function? That's the most glaring flaw IMO; it's nearly impossible to find anything. The website is saturated with so much discussion about DD1 that DD2 gets lost in the ocean. It would be great if we could filter the searches to only include results from a specific game. :)

The new designs looks great. One thing to note though without a functional back button website and forum navigation is a godawful experience, functionality > beautification. Hopefully this will be rectified in the coming updates.

Diamond Doge Search is the certainly one of the more important things to fix but as stated forums will remain the same, it will hopefully be a functional feature in the forum update.

@TheOtherBrad quote:

The functionality of the forums will remain the same until our specific forum update in the next few months

Keep up the good work trendy!

While I appreciate your use of backlighting to frame the central column, I still hate it. Compared to before it looks extremely boring and drab. I feel like you could have achieved a similar effect by using darkened game scenery for your background, rather than just dumping it altogether and using a black screen. Also, you seem to have used a round spotlight to frame a vertically-scrolling column, which is very disruptive. At the very least you need to elongate that light to fill the vertical length of the page.

Edit: I'm finally seeing the front page updated with the new backdrop. Looks good.

@SGRock quote:

And the problem with alert notifications remains  :(

What specifically is the problem? I'll pass it along to Duxter.

@iamisom quote:

@SGRock quote:

No way to avoid getting alerts for posts made in any thread I have posted in.

No way to avoid alerts that I earned my daily influence point (as if the huge page blocking message were not enough).

The alerts when selected and killed, do not stay killed.

The alerts for daily influence point hide themselves in a bizarre game of whack-a-mole and are not cleared unless you select to show all alerts (when I did not want to see any of the alerts to start with).

This has been posted in forum feedback for more than a month, with multiple bumps, and ignored there.

@SGRock quote:

@iamisom quote:

@SGRock quote:

No way to avoid getting alerts for posts made in any thread I have posted in.

No way to avoid alerts that I earned my daily influence point (as if the huge page blocking message were not enough).

The alerts when selected and killed, do not stay killed.

The alerts for daily influence point hide themselves in a bizarre game of whack-a-mole and are not cleared unless you select to show all alerts (when I did not want to see any of the alerts to start with).

This has been posted in forum feedback for more than a month, with multiple bumps, and ignored there.

The current notification implementation is for emails. It's on our schedule for this website update to give players the ability to disable forum notifications.

All I want is a 'go to last unread post' button :(

The aesthetic changes are great and all, but it still feels like the platform is catching up in terms of fundamental features back from the forums using vBulletin.

@gigazelle quote:

All I want is a 'go to last unread post' button :(

The aesthetic changes are great and all, but it still feels like the platform is catching up in terms of fundamental features back from the forums using vBulletin.

That's on the schedule for the forum milestone, which will happen in a few months. The forum changes you see now are universal changes that are the result of our front page/blog changes.

Took me a little bit to realize that the "forums" link in the top bar was renamed "community"

A little unintuitive, I think.  Unless there's going to be a different "community" page, I'd suggest rename it back to "forums"

-Stretch

@stretchyalien quote:

Took me a little bit to realize that the "forums" link in the top bar was renamed "community"

A little unintuitive, I think.  Unless there's going to be a different "community" page, I'd suggest rename it back to "forums"

-Stretch

It's our plan to include multiple pages in the Community section. One of our goals is to provide visibility on some of the awesome community groups we have, like the Remote QA Team, The Casters Guild, the DD2 Wiki Team and more. 

Side Note:  That black-text bug should be fixed in the next day or so.

It looks good so far. I think the font size should be smaller though. 

Not sure if its something with my browser or the site, but when I click the search button, it doesn't automagically move the cursor to the window.  It requires a second click into the text field before I can type my search.

Can we get that added to the list?

-Stretch