ETA in the Item Reset?

Just curious?  I have lost my will to play test with the knowledge that this is incoming.   Just wondering if they have given a guesstimate.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I'm curious too. The only reason I play right now is for wyvern tokens and a missing legendary chest with defense power and speed, but there might not be a point in finding the chest if everything is changing in a week or two.

Has it been decided that they will do this?  I was hoping they would just patch the existing items in play that they felt were overpowered.

@obtainedpaul quote:

Has it been decided that they will do this?  I was hoping they would just patch the existing items in play that they felt were overpowered.

It hasn't been decided what exactly they'll do though they are going to do either a wipe or reroll & I recall them leaning more towards wiping during dev streams. Also the reason that this is happening it because of the upcoming item revamp & how it clashes with the old gear causing the devs to either wipe or reroll ( if possible ),

The dev blog is terrible.

I am not interested in anyone buying Shovel Knight, or finished Splinter Cell, or wanting to start Bioshock. This does not help with the player on understanding how the game is coming to. I, as a player, would not try to find you on Steam and do Co-op with you on any of the games you have/want to play, it is none of my business.

Their daily life, like moving, having a day off or whatever, in my opinion, is more important than the game they buy or they game they play; because day off and such communicate that the workflow is interrupted, and the other, add nothing to the game, its progress, nor direction it is heading.

Unless, of course, it is a department-wide thing which every month the whole team plays one game and tries to find a common ground between it and DD2, and try to implement the fun aspect of the game and avoid its shortfall. That, I can understand. But from the speed of update, this is just going to delay the next patch release day by another 5 months...

@Sarge4206th quote:

*Snip*

So what has Trendy done or not done in the past 2 months that has suddenly changed your stance from "Demanding Greatness" and being a generally positive member of the community to being someone who is copy and pasting a message from a situation that happened 2 years ago?

To be frank you do not work with or in Trendy so you cannot know what is going on inside the company with regards to DD2's development and have nothing but this news report and your negative attitude which has lead to the creation of your post. 

With regards to the game development Trendy are not perfect and never will be but I choose to place my blame not with Trendy but with the current trend of early access programs that are effectively just selling unfinished games. You get some good ones that blossom and flourish like Darkest Dungeon but most are just an unfinished mess and until everyone in the gaming universe stops buying into them we'll be stuck with them so we'll have to make the best of the current situation and prevent DD2 from being one of the unfinished games.

@SorakaPlz quote:

The dev blog is not to everyone's taste but there are people out there that enjoy seeing and having a chat with the devs. They are human too afterall.

I see a team of passionate hard working guys trying to create the DD2 we all want. I have seen a lot of early access games crash and burn with little to no communication from the devs. Trendy keeps us up to date constantly.

i just want some change to happen because now all you need is the same elec water combo and you win any stage its to  boring

I love being a part of the pre-alpha experience! I really enjoy hearing how things are going and I appreciate how much they let us behind the scenes!

playing the game is only a small part of the whole experience for me. watching the streams, reading these forums, participating in the votes and the beastmaster challenges, finding the bugs.

I feel like I know the team now and they are real people -gamers like us, and I personally like hearing about their lives and what current game they may be playing.

If it wasn't for the dev streams, I would have never watched my new favorite show Rick and Morty.

During a stream a player asked I_PASS_BUTTER about his name and he explained that it was from Rick and Morty, so I went and watched that episode and it's GENIUS!!! 

The devs are gamers and I feel like I am part of something, and I love that.

@Sarge4206th quote:

I have been in leadership for 27 years and I know that you cant make change by allowing people to think that everything is going well.

You're just plain salty about something, and it's probably nothing to do with Dungeon Defenders 2.

27 years of leadership in the US Military may be good for combat and training grunts to be brainless, but it doesn't work for a majority of society. We do not live in a military state and referring to employees as inmates is a good way to lose them all. 

The game is in fact quite far along for being less than 2 years in development in a small Dev team when many Triple A games take over 5-10 years to get out.

As much as I want DD2 to be a great game as soon as possible, work just doesn't get done that quickly in any setting. 

If they wipe I hope they give us the sale value gold of the items lost AND that they tell us when it is happening so if they can't auto give us the gold we can sell up ourselves. 

Probably in a few months, I really wish it was first priority so it's out of the way and there's incentive to play again

Nonsense.

This will happen when the next update comes. Item wipe is not an arbitrary decision, it's necessary part of item system redesign.

@Syclic quote:

@Sarge4206th quote:

I have been in leadership for 27 years and I know that you cant make change by allowing people to think that everything is going well.

You're just plain salty about something, and it's probably nothing to do with Dungeon Defenders 2.

27 years of leadership in the US Military may be good for combat and training grunts to be brainless, but it doesn't work for a majority of society. We do not live in a military state and referring to employees as inmates is a good way to lose them all. 

The game is in fact quite far along for being less than 2 years in development in a small Dev team when many Triple A games take over 5-10 years to get out.

As much as I want DD2 to be a great game as soon as possible, work just doesn't get done that quickly in any setting. 

Leadership in a creative environment like game development can hardly be compared to military leadership. I've been in the military for 7 years and a police officer for 15 years. If i tried to manage Trendy, everybody would run away screaming.

@Woqini quote:

@Syclic quote:

@Sarge4206th quote:

Leadership in a creative environment like game development can hardly be compared to military leadership. I've been in the military for 7 years and a police officer for 15 years. If i tried to manage Trendy, everybody would run away screaming.

In case anyone's curious, here's an example of military ideas being used managing a private software development company: http://thedailywtf.com/articles/Classic-WTF-Effective-Immediately

The TL;DR is, essentially, the product was buggy, the employees left in droves, and the product never saw a final release.

@Sarge4206th quote:

@Argick quote:

@Sarge4206th quote:

*Snip*

So what has Trendy done or not done in the past 2 months that has suddenly changed your stance from "Demanding Greatness" and being a generally positive member of the community to being someone who is copy and pasting a message from a situation that happened 2 years ago?

To be frank you do not work with or in Trendy so you cannot know what is going on inside the company with regards to DD2's development and have nothing but this news report and your negative attitude which has lead to the creation of your post. 

With regards to the game development Trendy are not perfect and never will be but I choose to place my blame not with Trendy but with the current trend of early access programs that are effectively just selling unfinished games. You get some good ones that blossom and flourish like Darkest Dungeon but most are just an unfinished mess and until everyone in the gaming universe stops buying into them we'll be stuck with them so we'll have to make the best of the current situation and prevent DD2 from being one of the unfinished games.

@SorakaPlz quote:

The dev blog is not to everyone's taste but there are people out there that enjoy seeing and having a chat with the devs. They are human too afterall.

This community is becoming exhausted of empty promises. (The last 5 dev blogs)

Lack of play testing. (the uber update and pet updates)

Lack of direction. (posting a development road map then having players vote if they want the lobby to work properly!)

I am using my voice to try and motivate the dev staff and if you review my last two posts there are more than a couple people who feel the same way.  If you choose to be sycophant that is entirely up to you.

and with regards to this jewel..

"With regards to the game development Trendy are not perfect and never will be but I choose to place my blame not with Trendy but with the current trend of early access programs that are effectively just selling unfinished games. You get some good ones that blossom and flourish like Darkest Dungeon but most are just an unfinished mess and until everyone in the gaming universe stops buying into them we'll be stuck with them so we'll have to make the best of the current situation and prevent DD2 from being one of the unfinished games."

I will leave you with a quote attributed to Albert Einstein...

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"

The community has been Supportive both financially and emotionally, the community has been patient.  These things are not working so its time to change approaches.

Lack of play testing - There is plenty of playing testing going on. Everyone currently playing the game is play testing however I don't know how many of us are actively reporting bugs and actually "testing"

Lack of direction - The influence system is a good system to get the community involved with some of the development of the game and it's working to a degree. Crafter VS Enhances and all other "One VS the other" votes are pretty good. However I do see where you are coming from and I agree that having the silly votes like voting for the lobby to work or voting for a group system over a new map should never be created and should be assumed as a priority. 

Using your voice to try and motivate - Your trying to motivate them with that piece from two years ago? If you tried to motivate me with that I'm pretty sure I'd tell you to shove it. Most jobs having 10 to 12 hour shifts as the norm is pushing it the norm is more likely between 7-8 hours shift work. Also people are allowed holidays in every job or are else compensated for it.

And the Albert Einstein quote doesn't quite respond to "the jewel" but I'm guessing it's not intended to. If it is then I'm sorry but I'm not doing the same thing over and over since I'm not a game dev and I've not seen a company take this approach before.

I guess it's because I'm used to playing MMO's and seeing the time that is required between content updates so waiting and having patience is nothing new to me but If you feel the need to change approaches then I'd love to see you come up with something more constructive. We both want a good game and I apologies but imo your just being an ass with your post.

Nothing wrong with taking Sarge's position and thinking the development of the game's coming out a little slow. 

Maybe it's because the team is smaller than other studios, maybe they have other things on their plate, maybe there's no incentive to work quickly, maybe they don't want to, whatever!

None of those reasons would mean -everyone- has to support trendy or feel dissatisfied and riot. 

Personally, I'm a little irked that there's either very little transparency or indecisiveness when it comes to update timetables.  ..But I'm still going to support the team as best I can just because I really like the game and am going to be on board even if it's a sinking ship lol.  I suspect lots of us are in that boat (pun intended) so maybe it's healthy to get some opinions like Sarge's out there to get the voice of people who aren't 100% in love with DD and WILL bail if the experience is way less than it could be.  After all, even die hard fans want large player bases, right?

@Pachipachio quote:

Nothing wrong with taking Sarge's position and thinking the development of the game's coming out a little slow. 

Maybe it's because the team is smaller than other studios, maybe they have other things on their plate, maybe there's no incentive to work quickly, maybe they don't want to, whatever!

None of those reasons would mean -everyone- has to support trendy or feel dissatisfied and riot. 

Personally, I'm a little irked that there's either very little transparency or indecisiveness when it comes to update timetables.  ..But I'm still going to support the team as best I can just because I really like the game and am going to be on board even if it's a sinking ship lol.  I suspect lots of us are in that boat (pun intended) so maybe it's healthy to get some opinions like Sarge's out there to get the voice of people who aren't 100% in love with DD and WILL bail if the experience is way less than it could be.  After all, even die hard fans want large player bases, right?

I 100% agree there is nothing wrong with taking Sarge's position, like I said Trendy aint perfect. It's how he's going about it that's the issue. You can be dissatisfied with something and criticize but going back and basically digging up dirt on a team from two years ago is pretty much a no go for me. Then on top of that complaining about a member of the team taking a holiday *GASP!* 

There is a difference between joining in with early access and demanding a certain workflow / timetable like you actually work with Trendy.

Do I want a release day for the next patch? Your damn right I do but I also understand that the second they give out a date they are then forced to release it on that date or feel the wrath of the community with "YOU LIED TO US" 

The wrath, and the subsequent defense of the team, if they didn't release something on the announced date would probably be similar to this stuff now XD

Relative to the players that are gonna get the game on official release we're probably super saturated with die hard fans atm.  I think if they were to fail on deadlines, mismanage updates, errors, etc there's no better time than now since most of us would still love whatever comes out of the pipeline

For instance, if this wasn't "pre-alpha" (let's be honest here, beta) then they'd get a LOT MORE crap for REALLY OBVIOUS errors like the new legendary boots whose sole purpose is to boost towers... and they release it with a bug that boosts towers to infinity.  That's evidence of 0 testing lol.  I'm sure there's some programmer lingo'd explanation for why it happened or other reasons - but I don't much care and don't want an explanation, because I still support the guys.  

And imo, so what if Sarge goes about it wrong.  He ain't perfect, trendy ain't perfect, we're all not perfect T__T

@Warmonger quote:

Nonsense.

This will happen when the next update comes. Item wipe is not an arbitrary decision, it's necessary part of item system redesign.

I'm full legacy gear and I'm with you on that.  XD

It does not even bother me to loose all my stuff.   I've also being on other alpha/beta before so I'm used to full wipes and its not stopping me to hop into the game and having a good time.

@Darkeagle quote:

I love being a part of the pre-alpha experience! I really enjoy hearing how things are going and I appreciate how much they let us behind the scenes!

To me, being in alpha means seeing update, bugfix, new bugs, or just communications constantly.

We have little update, bugfix comes in packets called "hotfix" that arrive 3 weeks late, and the same old bug again and again (check out that apprentice staff with no secondary stats, or all the huntress relic with fixed secondary stats)

This is not the model of a pre-alpha, nor alpha, nor beta; it is the model of a game that has been around for 10+ years (think Lineage or Ragnarok) that has die-hard fans that forge the game into their daily routine (like chronic smokers and cigarette...), with low maintenance, few events, infrequent update -- this type of games usually runs itself because the people in the game generate contents (so to speak), and generally treat other players as friends, family, or rivals.

DD2 is still too shallow to have created any bonding between players, the basic infrastructure, and character interactions are non-existing. No friend list outside of Steam, no trading (well at least let me throw items on the ground), homogeneous "rewards" are all parts of the problem.

The game has no ETA, basically no promise, no deadline; it is potentially the best job in the world. I love me some jobs with no deadline... 

You know what "no deadline" means? No incentive. It is literally an empty promise. Nothing Trendy said is of any value until the date is set.

Another game I really love to mention is Marvel Heroes 2015 (the game has been in alpha since 2013 and, you guess it, released in 2015). The developers has a roadmap for the entire years, promising the rework of old heroes and/or release of new ones. From the beginning of 2015, it is already announced that some of the oldest heroes will have their rework release in December. There were delays, of course, some heroes' reworks were delayed for 2 months because of other priorities, but with the constant stream of events, anniversary gifts, surprise release of unannounced heroes, everyone is happy.

And we get nothing here, no surprise (the only surprise would be Trendy actually posting a stale-fix that worsen the problem, yay), vague promises, no date, no deadline.

I myself have also lost interest in working on bettering my gear. I'm comfortably soloing in 25++ with a monk builder, squire builder and huntress in dps.

in case anyone is wondering on stats

monk - 1228 tower damage 829 tower speed

squire - 983 tower damage 719 tower speed

huntress - 1770.4 hero damage 518 hero ability (she has increased mana regen and movement speed so she just runs around spamming abilities, really damn op if you ask me)

Almost 50 hours in dd2 so not as much as some. (166 hours in DD1)

I'd honestly just prefer a definitive answer. Because if they are going to do a full wipe, characters and all, i'm not gonna play to be honest. I'd just wait until is was done then come back and blaze through everything again.

I'd survive if they wiped our gear, sucks that i'd lose some pretty nice stuff but oh well. At least let us keep our lvl 25's so we can blaze through the lower end stuff and get back to where we were faster.

Pets on the other hand, no, period. Considering the fact that we have to hatch the freaking things instead of get them as drops which honestly is just bs. (as you can tell i'm not happy about this part) What they should have done is, lower the drop rate of the eggs, and have them drop as pets themselves. Remove the hatching part and keep the food leveling. Which doesn't appear to do anything as it is. Heck if you want keep the guy that hatched eggs and have him be used to evolve pets and have that take a couple hours, kind of like a caterpillar and a butterfly. 

Also to add with the comments above this one.

Do I feel trendy is doing a decent job? of course I do. I love the game, 

I hate that they're removing tower speed and moving it to a specialty stat. Making you have to grind for gear to get it really sucks. Give us an option to re-roll secondary stats to help with it at least because trying to get optimal builder gear is going to be pretty interesting is your towers are hitting like tanks, and slow like tanks also. (we as builders want machine gun missiles = D)

Why the hell are they adding more crit damage when the current dps heroes are doing is insane. When 4 decently geared dps characters can lock down a map with relative ease why buff it even more? (Cant say a whole lot about the squire and monk, i use them personally as builders, but I can confirm that huntress and apprentice do very nice hero dps as is. I think the biggest problem is they are ranged characters)

Anyway this is getting kind of long.

TELL US WHAT YOU ARE DOING WITH THE REROLL OR WIPE AND IF IT IS A FULL CHARACTER WIPE OR JUST GEAR.

SAVE THE PETS! (yeah i know it's in caps)

Personally I've moved on to other things. I would love to test this game further but I see no point in testing a system that we all know is going to change. They should have held off on announcing the item system change until they had a 30-60 day window of implementation and a date to give people. This "Hey a change is coming but we don't know when" is kind of pointless. It still blows my mind that they haven't announced a decision let alone a date when it comes to the new item re-roll or wipe. I can't watch the dev streams anymore since all they did was piss me off. Let's have a series of pre-screened questions that we aren't going to answer each week....WTF is that? Why bring up the question at all? Format the stream with questions you are pre-pared to answer and the ones you can't, lump them into a "things we're working on but can't talk about" segment. I also have been part of my fair share of Alpha/Betas and they need to move this a long a little. There should be more test patches, test builds, bug fixes, etc. It's a pre-alpha and most of us who know what that means expect it to get messy. We don't expect a super polished pre-alpha...no one does.

@Tigorus quote:

Personally I've moved on to other things. I would love to test this game further but I see no point in testing a system that we all know is going to change. They should have held off on announcing the item system change until they had a 30-60 day window of implementation and a date to give people. This "Hey a change is coming but we don't know when" is kind of pointless. It still blows my mind that they haven't announced a decision let alone a date when it comes to the new item re-roll or wipe. I can't watch the dev streams anymore since all they did was piss me off. Let's have a series of pre-screened questions that we aren't going to answer each week....WTF is that? Why bring up the question at all? Format the stream with questions you are pre-pared to answer and the ones you can't, lump them into a "things we're working on but can't talk about" segment. I also have been part of my fair share of Alpha/Betas and they need to move this a long a little. There should be more test patches, test builds, bug fixes, etc. It's a pre-alpha and most of us who know what that means expect it to get messy. We don't expect a super polished pre-alpha...no one does.

That's what I've done right now. I've moved onto playing other games because I've completed almost all of the available content and ran into a few bugs that I've reported via the Tavernkeep.

I'd keep on playing the game and seeing what bugs I can find but they've announced the new item system so everything I'm doing right now is moot. 

You're really not a tester, you're an investor that is seeing a more polished version made for consumers that has nothing to do with actual testing.