So far I've been thinking of DD2 as a sequel to DD1, but what if, in fact, it was a prequel.  If that is the case, we could be playing as the adults that are rescued from the Crystalline Dimension of DD1.  Sure, this would be the adults while they were still rather young, but hey, they had to be young at some point anyway.

The wiki relays the story of DD1 as such:
"Etheria was once a land of living legends. Long ago, brave warriors across the realm stood together against an immortal evil known as the Old Ones. In the wake of this struggle, the champions; the Archmage, Knight, Ranger and Templar, locked away the power of the Old Ones inside Eternia Crystals."

First observation that I think supports this theory is that we are rarely guarding a crystal.  If the Old Ones are sealed away in these things, you'd think protecting them would be top priority.  So, either our heroes are not believed to handle such a responsibility, or the Old Ones are not locked up yet.  I find the former option unlikely since in DD1 the adults left children in charge of defending a crystal while they went out for whatever reason.  So that leaves the idea that DD2 takes place prior to the Old Ones imprisonment.

Second observation, DD2 tavernkeep looks younger than DD1.  I realize this is kind of a minor thing, but when the devs add an egg rotting mechanic "because that's what eggs do", minor details are fair game.

Third observation, your talents don't seem to be very appreciated.  Your first few missions involve you defending a simple cart and some grumpy old guy.  If these are the same heroes of DD1, then they've defeated monstrous bosses, collected shards of a lost crystal, and rescued their mentors by defeating an Old One.  The recruiter at the war table should be sending you to the thrown room right off the bat!

Fourth observation, you are starting with basic gear at level 1.  Unless the heroes of DD1 defeated the Old One and just threw out all their awesome loot and forgot all their experience, they should probably have a few mythic things lying around.  Sure, the armor might be a little small since they would have grown, but the weapons should still be useable.

You have some interesting points in this and who knows Trendy could be making a sequel that is a prequel? The only problem I see and someone may clarify this, but isn't the "old one" or the enemy leader stored in the crystal in the throne room? I mean when it is destroyed you get evil laughter, etc.

@NexZone30 quote:

You have some interesting points in this and who knows Trendy could be making a sequel that is a prequel? The only problem I see and someone may clarify this, but isn't the "old one" or the enemy leader stored in the crystal in the throne room? I mean when it is destroyed you get evil laughter, etc.

The way it's worded, it sounds like there are multiple Old Ones that get imprisoned in different crystals.  Also, if I remember correctly, the very first level has a crystal on the cart.  Perhaps this is an empty one being taken to capture the Old One that is attacking the Throne Room?  Or perhaps one had already been captured and the king was planning to study it in hopes of finding a way to stop the monsters attacking his town?

A few facts ruin your theory sadly:

• The Squire father exist and is in our tavern.
  • In previous videos and streams can't find those exactly there are mentions that the story takes place after the Crystalline dimension, the old one escaped (he wasn't defeated actually, he took advantage of the on going) somehow and gathered his forces during time and now etheria is under attack again.

@Gutu quote:The Squire father exist and is in our tavern.
"Squire" is really just a title.  If this is a prequel, we could be playing as the Knight back when he was a mere Squire.

@Gutu quote:In previous videos and streams can't find those exactly there are mentions that the story takes place after the Crystalline dimension, the old one escaped (he wasn't defeated actually, he took advantage of the on going) somehow and gathered his forces during time and now etheria is under attack again.

Intentional misdirection.  The cake is a lie!

Gonna refer to the Really old trailer for when it was a moba... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IsiNqgJO2Q very first line is "back when i saved etheria the first time" giving the impression that the squire had done it before. This leaves me to think it is a sequel. 

(sorry i do not know how to properly link things)

@lenzo quote:

Gonna refer to the Really old trailer for when it was a moba... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IsiNqgJO2Q very first line is "back when i saved etheria the first time" giving the impression that the squire had done it before. This leaves me to think it is a sequel. 

how_to_link.png
The irony here is that we went to a WYSIWYG interface because "BBCode was too hard."

@lenzo quote:

But this was also the trailer for when it still was a moba right? so a lot has changed since that.

@Tammy quote:

@lenzo quote:

But this was also the trailer for when it still was a moba right? so a lot has changed since that.

the characters didn't tho 

Check this video, this is one of many!

Damn [[14,users]] had such sexy haircut :3 it's interesting to see how much changed about the game and the devs :D