Sign in to follow this  
Vetokend

No more 32-bit limit?

Per the beta patch notes (mana in the trillions), and from the numeric formatting changes, it sounds very likely that we won't be up against a 32-bit number ceiling for future development.  I'm really curious how many variables were changed, because I'm pretty sure damage hit a signed 32-bit cap and rolled over at 2 billion previously.

I suppose we won't know the details until later, but this seems VERY promising for the continued expansion / gradual stat progression of the game.

Damage numbers now show up different as well.  No more rollover.

Oh nice, did you already see something above ~2.1 billion?  I don't have a strong enough DPSer to test the theory myself.

@Vetokend quote:

Per the beta patch notes (mana in the trillions), and from the numeric formatting changes, it sounds very likely that we won't be up against a 32-bit number ceiling for future development.  I'm really curious how many variables were changed, because I'm pretty sure damage hit a signed 32-bit cap and rolled over at 2 billion previously.

I suppose we won't know the details until later, but this seems VERY promising for the continued expansion / gradual stat progression of the game.

They changed the way it's displayed. e.g. when mana goes into the millions, it only displays the number of millions, instead of the real value. same when it hits the billions, etc.

Persumably this is done by storing the thousands, millions, billions, etc as seperate values. The game is still compiled as a 32 bit application.
From a computing standpoint this method of bypassing the technical limitation would result in more overhead, but it's pretty trivial on systems today.