Sign in to follow this  
neochaos01

Not having fun =(

I've been here for around a week now, I clocked 700 hours actual played time on the first game, and to date out of all the  games I've invested time into DD1 was a fantastic experience (Top 3 ever).

I waited as long as I could to buy the second one as i didn't want it to sour my experience, which evidently i should have held out a bit longer.

First I have to say the game look great, Kudos on that, and considering its development stage it's for the most part a very polished experience.

I made an Apprentice as my first class and built all the way to incursion with him , and had a great time, until I didn't.

I decided to branch out and try doing more group play, unfortunately it would was pretty much the same as the first, you had around a 2 in 10 chance you'd get into a group where everyone would actually be a team or listen to reason. The only thing I took away from playing in a group was first witnessing the Monk and Huntress electric combo.

That day I leveled both a Huntress and the next day a Monk. I literally couldn't believe how something so simple could trivialise most content Pre incursion and for the most part make Incursion levels like Life root Forest( Hard Mode) afkable only really having to repair traps between waves.

My biggest issue with this is how it makes most other tower specs redundant, Apprentice towers get TRASHED, I've also geared a builder Squire and his defenses also get wrecked by ranged attackers, no matter where I try and place them. The electric combo is so strong and to be honest it looks the only way to do hard mode incursion unless you have 4 other players. 

To me relying on a certain setup to complete a level saps all the creativity out of the game, one of the best parts of the first DD was coming up with different builds together, and never following a set template and involving what we had on hand.

I've been trying all day to do Hard mode incursions with just towers and boost auras and it feels like you can blink and your towers are almost down, especially with Ogers. I made a wall squire and although he's not fully upgraded I'd of thought them having 20k+ health would buy me enough time make it over there before he wrecks it, but nope down in seconds!
I'd be generally interested to know if anyone has soloed Betsy on HM incursion with only towers and no Monk Uber.

Anyway that's my two pence.
Sorry if it seemed a little ranty.

It is possible to solo incusions with other builds.

I can solo all incursions with a pretty well equipped squire builder (almost all cannonball towers and a blockade in a very limited set of situations ... mostly to slow down a second Ogre long enough for cannons to dispatch him), a Monk for boost, skyguard & elec auras, and a Squire tank for DPS.

EDIT: One key to success for me is that I have 3 items which increase the defense range on my Squire. His cannonball range (4151) is actually bigger than the Monk's skyguard range (4042 - which by default is huge).

@Professor_Valconian quote:

I can solo all incursions with a pretty well equipped squire builder (almost all cannonball towers and a blockade in a very limited set of situations ... mostly to slow down a second Ogre long enough for cannons to dispatch him), a Monk for boost, skyguard & elec auras, and a Squire tank for DPS.

Do you have high tower health to do Hard mode incursion? It's something I've slighty neglected on my builder. My towers get wrecked really fast, sometimes I'm not even sure what's done it.

Yes. I do hard mode incursion on all maps.

My Squire Builder

Defense Health = 299

Defense Power = 1,157

Defense Speed = 1,164

Creeps die ... including Ogres before trashing my towers. They take damage, but rarely fall.

Well i clearly am specing them wrong, I added more tower health and lost speed, my speed is at 889 with power at 1100. I guess i should just go all damage

I solo incursions without la's so it's possible.. As for the toxic players, I dunno, I only play solo or with friends to avoid that mess.

Some tips i'd have to beat incursions without la/geyser combo are

• Use spike blockades to stop ogres, walls work & are good when used properly
  • Use monks +25% to blockade health large sphere when not using LA's
  • place towers to the side of blockades, far enough away to avoid splash dmg but still in range of boost auras
  • You don't have to boost everything! I tend to use a geyser surrounded by 3 explosive traps unboosted much further in my lanes
  • A waller squire can also become a tank by using the +% block large sphere & physical res shield / chest
  • Don't be afraid to separate your defense. Placing some LS's or Explosive traps further in the lane to skill weaker mobs can be helpful. (Also Flamethrower when they get fixed)

I'm guessing that your problem would be getting outranged by enemies (Javelin Throwers) or a clogged up lane full of Dark Mages (They can snipe your towers at a long range) that heals and summons skeletons.
Most of the issues I had as a Squire Tower Builder in Wyvern's Den would probably small creepers passing by as Betsy flaps her wings, increasing enemies speed. The thing about Squire's towers is that sometimes a group of cannons would just sync and target 1 enemy before moving in to another. To cover that up, I add a couple of AoE damaging tower (Ballistae / Earthshatter / Flameburst) for each lane, and a Frost Tower.
For the 3rd wave, you can tank the ogre by yourself. And on the 4th wave, since you have a Wall Squire, an Apprentice Tower Damager, and a Monk, I believe you can simply put Squire's barricades down the lane where ogres will spawn. Considering that you have around 20k HP Barricade, which should be enough to interrupt an ogre.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll try a different approach later, And yes Croczilla that's allot of the reason why it screws up, especially the summoners, summoning their minions over my defenses and running behind them to the eggs. Happens allot and it's really annoying to progress so far and have some skinny runt squeeze or be summoned past them to end my game whilst I'm doing well. I have also have issues with mobs simply veering off their path and going up hills when they bunch together. Cheers 

@neochaos01 quote:

Do you have high tower health to do Hard mode incursion? It's something I've slighty neglected on my builder. My towers get wrecked really fast, sometimes I'm not even sure what's done it.

Make sure you place towers in such a way that they won't get sniped by Javelins or Mages in adjacent lanes. That has happened to me before ... especially on the Betsy map. It probably just requires tweaking your setup so that your towers won't aggro creeps in the next lane over.

You also will definitely need some type of cover for the eggs to protect them from small creeps when Betsy flaps her wings. If they get past your main defenses and you don't have any backup it's game over. I use a couple dedicated cannons at the back of the middle lane close to the eggs (but off the path to avoid cursed ground) just for that reason.

@neochaos01 quote:

Well i clearly am specing them wrong, I added more tower health and lost speed, my speed is at 889 with power at 1100. I guess i should just go all damage

Tweek your armor stats to try and keep your tow pow and spd close with pow just slightly ahead. For the most part that'll get you the biggest bang for your buck.  Have you got all your spheres bought? That's another way to squeeze more out of your def. If you have 2 max range spheres for a app or squire you shouldn't be having issue with mobs out ranging you. Try staggering your cannons slightly so 1 is behind another, with the purpose of getting the front to target 1 mob and the 2nd to be targetting another while the first is "reloading". 1 frost tower per lane should also help them from getting overwhelmed. The dual ogres on Den wave 4 is just a crap design.

Yea most Pubs are pretty awful, it's not limited to this game it's just a general "issue" with online games.

I don't think den Wave 4 is crap design as it was the end game of the patch it should have been a challenge and by all the streams and tactics that came out for it and discussion ongoing it still is the only challenge.

Ogres are the only challenge in game at the moment, unless you have LSA.

I say spawn two in one lane have them jump at slightly different times, one throws snot whilst the other one jumps. Even with the reduced aggro (thanks trendy) they still are dumb and fairly easily led with some skill.

Soloists are at a disadvantage of course.

@Fozzie quote:

I don't think den Wave 4 is crap design as it was the end game of the patch it should have been a challenge and by all the streams and tactics that came out for it and discussion ongoing it still is the only challenge.

I say spawn two in one lane have them jump at slightly different times, one throws snot whilst the other one jumps. Even with the reduced aggro (thanks trendy) they still are dumb and fairly easily led with some skill.

The number of your posts at this very moment is 666 ... which is appropriate ... because you are of the devil. :)

@Fozzie quote:

The number of your posts at this very moment is 666 ... which is appropriate ... because you are of the devil. :)

No no no, He is Fozzie. WAKA WAKA!

@neochaos01 quote:

I'd be generally interested to know if anyone has soloed Betsy on HM incursion with only towers and no Monk Uber.

take a look at this 

the first vid shows how to turn betsy around. This is a great strategy that if done right will keep you, the egg, and your defense free from harm. Toward the bottom of the page is a video i made titled "wave 4." It's basically consists of flame towers, geysers, lightning aura, earth shatterer, skyguards, and arcane shield to beat the wave however this was all done without monk boost.

[[67804,users]] also has a video posted on that same thread. granted both of us did have LA in our builds we also were playing at a disadvantage.

Most of this will be mute once tower speed is removed though, I do wonder how much that will affect the game, I am waiting and watching. 

Yeah. I'm afraid that once defense speed is nerfed and boost aura is nerfed I won't be able to solo any of the incursions anymore ... on hard or otherwise.

I guess I will have to wait and see.