Sign in to follow this  
dmvanmeveren

I am upset that Trendy launched costumes before content.

This is a sincere and honest complaint:

I am upset that the Trendy team implemented the costume/lock-box/appearance system before they added more gameplay content. Maybe I'm being a bit too critical, but I'm just honestly upset that they launced their moneygrab system so early before we had a real satisfying gameplay experience.

I mean, I paid for the pre-alpha so that I could assist in the development of a tower defense/action RPG game, not Sims 4 Dungeon Defenders expansion pack. 

Think of it more as them releasing it now to figure out any problems with it so they can polish it up before going into open beta. It's got to be nice & shiny so people actually buy stuff, which in turn would give trendy more money to further develop the game :)

Thanks for the feedback, [[57051,users]]. First of all, rest assured that making more gameplay content and polishing existing gameplay features is our highest priority. It's important to keep in mind that our Early Access is about gathering feedback on a variety of systems, including our monetization systems. Dungeon Defenders II will eventually be free-to-play and will rely on ethical, non-gameplay-advantage-granting monetization for support. We wanted to get these systems in early so that we could get as much community feedback and data as possible. It's vital to figure out what works and what needs work. 

Thanks again for the feedback. :)

I agree with your sentiment OP, but one thing you need to keep in mind is that, for the most part (as far as I'm aware), the devs who make things like cosmetic stuff are not the same devs who make actual game content.  So in actuality, to develop the cosmetic stuff isn't taking much away from their actual game development process.

I still think the accessory and costume system is crap.

It is going to be a mess if there are more than 1 type of lockbox or there are more of each kind to choose from.

Of course it would be awesome if they can create some type of filter for it, like rarity of the accessory, origin (from which lockbox), color scheme, cloth/leather/armor/mixed, with/without hat, etc.

I like the costumes, they're done well.

[[4370,users]] has a brilliant point in his comment. +5

"I mean, I paid for the pre-alpha so that I could assist in the development of a tower defense/action RPG game, not Sims 4 Dungeon Defenders expansion pack. "

I would like to say I understand and I understand your point, but you miss to see that it's actually part of the development, as you can tell Trendy didn't even add a system for you to get more gems.

Why? How would it be a moneygrab system, if it didn't provide trendy anymore money at all since they're only giving the players what they had previous payed for?

We payed to help the development of the game, as part of the game the monetization system also requires our feedback. I, as a fan character customization on games i really enjoyed this, as a I didn't pay anything, i was just given what i had previously payed last year to be able to provide my feedback on it.

So this is content of the game, are you happy with the costumes? Are you happy with how hard/easy it is to get the accessories in the lockboxes? 

It's a big part of the game just like gameplay to some, also let's not forget, that the costumes weren't added without a gameplay improvement nor was any special pack for costumes released with that update. 

I'm actually glad that i can already collect accessories with keys and that trendy gave us this system early so we could actually tell  a different from each friend. 

It was one of the most request features: "trendy please i can't tell who is who in a 4 player game where 3 of my friends are playing monk, sucks how we all look the same" 

but he's right - costumes won't add any gametime. there are actually only 3 (5) incursion maps to play. 3 maps for the whole endgame. and also there is no more content to play with, nobody will come back to look up the costumes.

@Cdr.Keen quote:

but he's right - costumes won't add any gametime. there are actually only 3 (5) incursion maps to play. 3 maps for the whole endgame. and also there is no more content to play with, nobody will come back to look up the costumes.

You think they're done with content? Really? Take a good long hard think on that one.

[[4370,users]] had it completly correct. Its a small taste of whats available so they could test it and get feedback on it.

It was most likely put out so Trendy can go "Here, Hows this work for everyone" and get comments/suggestions from the community while they work on their maps/new things. I doubt it required the whole team to be pulled from their projects just to do that.

The OP actually has a VERY valid point.

The history of alpha games that work and release paid content before completing their promises is not one of success.

1.) Mechwarrior online promised 6 to 10 additional features and 12 additional maps during alpha and beta phases and even offered a 150 dollar founders grant to encourage the building of these features.  All the time developing new mechs that only could be bought with money.

2.) World of tanks - Stopped adding content for free and evolving their game when the pay system took off.  Funding was shifted to alternative games with heavier focus on the paying for ships and planes mechanics in place.

The OP does not have a fear that is invalid AND you cannot expect the dev's to respond with anything other than our we wont let this happen.

As a community our best bet is to remain vigilant and call bull mess when we see bull mess.

@PTSFP Paul quote:

The history of alpha games that work and release paid content before completing their promises is not one of success.

1.) Mechwarrior online promised 6 to 10 additional features and 12 additional maps during alpha and beta phases and even offered a 150 dollar founders grant to encourage the building of these features.  All the time developing new mechs that only could be bought with money.

2.) World of tanks - Stopped adding content for free and evolving their game when the pay system took off.  Funding was shifted to alternative games with heavier focus on the paying for ships and planes mechanics in place.

The OP does not have a fear that is invalid AND you cannot expect the dev's to respond with anything other than our we wont let this happen.

As a community our best bet is to remain vigilant and call bull mess when we see bull mess.

I think its very unfair that you lump all bad devs into the same group. Not every developing company is a greedy cash grabbing lowlife. Hell. You can even BUY their currency yet. Surely if they were greedy it would be the first thing they implemented and not left out because they don't wanna focus on that right now

I understand the fear of early access games but thats is usually with almost fresh developers looking for handouts to monetise their game because they cant afford the funding because their concept is shaky and no-one in the business wants to fund a risk. Trendy had success with DD1/DDE and DD2 is in early access because they want player feedback on features and to make their game a community effort...its not to generate revenue.

Some people are much different than you, they would prefer to customize their characters than to play the game looking (and feeling) much like everyone else. Two of my close friends are like that; their initial complaints about DD2 (before costumes were implemented) were that only their weapon skin was changing and nothing else. I'm personally not the same way but, I'm just trying to say not everyone wants what you want. I believe they are trying to develop/implement as many functioning parts of the game as possible, and then expand on ALL of those parts simultaneously.

@dmvanmeveren quote:

This is a sincere and honest complaint:

I am upset that the Trendy team implemented the costume/lock-box/appearance system before they added more gameplay content. Maybe I'm being a bit too critical, but I'm just honestly upset that they launced their moneygrab system so early before we had a real satisfying gameplay experience.

I mean, I paid for the pre-alpha so that I could assist in the development of a tower defense/action RPG game, not Sims 4 Dungeon Defenders expansion pack. 

@SorakaPlz quote:

I still think the accessory and costume system is crap.

It is going to be a mess if there are more than 1 type of lockbox or there are more of each kind to choose from.

Of course it would be awesome if they can create some type of filter for it, like rarity of the accessory, origin (from which lockbox), color scheme, cloth/leather/armor/mixed, with/without hat, etc.

...And that is *exactly* why the devs put the cosmetic system in right now, and not shortly before F2P release. Imagine if their method to monetize the game fell flat on its face because they didn't have enough time to polish it? We wouldn't get much content for a game that can't make money.

Give the devs time, and let them improve it to where they'll have an awesome and ethical business model. With that in place, they'll be able to support the game for years to come.

@PTSFP Paul quote:

And tossing in a random monetizing system right before official release sounds like a good idea for a F2P game? 
If anything kills a game/franchise it's a bad monetizing system. Game is released -> Monetizing system is crap and unpolished -> People dont buy stuff -> Developement shuts down cause they've got no funding. 

Half of the costume content is even obtainable without paying. They released it now for feedback, so that the system is well polished for the official release. Not to make money. And i couldn't agree more with them on that decision. They're keeping the games future in mind regarding funding and gameplay. 

Also, like mentioned above, different devs for different shenanigans. What's the difference between hiring a guy/team to work on costumes/monetization now rather than later?  I doubt they have super devs that can do any kind of work in any part of the game and just toss them around to different projects on a whim. So the "But he could've worked on 'content'" card is rather invalid. Also, costumes are actually  'content'. 

I can guarantee you that they are working on gameplay content that is unrelated to the monetizing system aswell. They're just developing both fronts early on in order to have a well polished game on release, rather than an unpolished mess released 1 week prior. (Monetizing system) 

I don't see what the point of this thread is :/ if a f2p game is gonna survive they need to have a cash shop that works properly and contains items that players will want to buy. To be honest I would have been more concerned if they allowed players to buy more gems and introduced new items to the cash shop on a weekly or bi-weekly basis.

TE needz to getz paid, you feel me?!?!?!?

If OP is upset about what he's paid for then read up on what EA means and the implications of making a f2p game for developers.

Complains about monetization of game.

Game doesn't even have method implemented to take your money.

Facepalm.

@Prince Mononoke quote:

I agree with your sentiment OP, but one thing you need to keep in mind is that, for the most part (as far as I'm aware), the devs who make things like cosmetic stuff are not the same devs who make actual game content.  So in actuality, to develop the cosmetic stuff isn't taking much away from their actual game development process.

Yes and no, you still need engineers to put these systems into the game.  It requires more than the art to set up cosmetics shops.

Dear Best friends,

This has gotten out of hand.

My complaint was simply the order of release. 

I understand that Trendy needs and deserves money to develop DD2- and to earn a healthy paycheck. In fact, I bought pre-alpha to support them!

I am simply eager to test out actual gameplay rather than the costume and accessory system, and I wish Trendy would have provided more Dungeon Defenders-esque content before they implemented Sims-esque content. I understand the importance of the costume system, and I will love the heck out it when it's complete; I just wish the focus had been on new towers/skill spheres/classes/item progression etc first.

@dmvanmeveren quote:

Dear Best friends,

This has gotten out of hand.

My complaint was simply the order of release. 

I understand that Trendy needs and deserves money to develop DD2- and to earn a healthy paycheck. In fact, I bought pre-alpha to support them!

I am simply eager to test out actual gameplay rather than the costume and accessory system, and I wish Trendy would have provided more Dungeon Defenders-esque content before they implemented Sims-esque content. I understand the importance of the costume system, and I will love the heck out it when it's complete; I just wish the focus had been on new towers/skill spheres/classes/item progression etc first.

There's plenty of content to test. They need to release as many features as possible during the alpha phase to make sure they all work together. One of the biggest issues with the cosmetic stuff is trying to tune how long it takes to unlock things. The longer you wait to put that stuff in the game, the less data you get on that aspect of the design. 

Furthermore, new levels, new items, new bosses, etc take orders of magnitude more time to create than skins for characters. They don't stop working on new content in order to release costumes. 

Finally - costumes ARE content. They might not be the content YOU want to see, but they are part of the game. What's more, cosmetic content is vitally important to the health the game. It's what keeps casual players interested, and it's what people pay money for. The system has to be perfect, or the game will fail. 

Everyone wants more levels, more bosses, more items. There are only so many people at Trendy and there are only so many hours in the day. 

And you really have to stop with the "sims" commentary. Cosmetic additions are part of EVERY genre of game. You don't make your point stronger by trying to denigrate costumes and cosmetic items this way. 

You know they do need breaks in between creation of actual gameplay to: come up with the plan for the next gameplay addition, evaluate the current one they just released, oh and then there's finding and clearing up bugs. Not every update is going to be received with the same praise by everyone. As long as everyone doesn't hate it, and if the community does hate then the company needs to clearly justify why the change is warranted.

IMO they've been putting out things to play with and poke around with at a pretty decent pace. I'm one of the people who honestly isn't that interested in costumes, so yea the costumes eh no big deal to me. I tend to think the next patch to come out will probably again add something new gameplay-wise. Just got to be patient.

side note: WHERE'S MAH SQUIRE BUNNEH!?!?