Sign in to follow this  
Anon

Remove the bottleneck of wyvern tokens

Wyvern tokens as far as I know are limited to 1-4 a day. This is a terrible idea as some items cost 180. Even at 4 tokens every day that's 45 days worth of grinding. Please add additional way to earn them as I know having a way to work towards something will keep me interested in the game much longer than having to wait and grind daily.

I think the most simplistic solution to this would be just to give players 1 Wyvern Token every time they complete the Wyvern's Den map on Hard Incursion. That way, players who desperately want an uber sphere can play for 15 hours straight until they get one. 

Them being limited is what makes Ubers more noted when you find a player with one, if they were easy to get, they wouldnt not be exciting. 

I vote to keep them hard to come by

@Kaizan quote:

Them being limited is what makes Ubers more noted when you find a player with one, if they were easy to get, they wouldnt not be exciting. 

I disagree on the hard to come by part. Boring to come by is closer to the mark in my opinion. Also there are a lot of items you can buy with the tokens, getting a sphere may be your choice but someone may want a wyvern egg instead.

They've said that they put the price quite alot higher, than they actually wanted to, because they didn't want to end up having to actually increase the price of the items in the pirate shop... So, the price will eventually be decreased, and the grind will be less painful.

@ally quote:

I think the most simplistic solution to this would be just to give players 1 Wyvern Token every time they complete the Wyvern's Den map on Hard Incursion. That way, players who desperately want an uber sphere can play for 15 hours straight until they get one. 

15 hours vs 15 days, this would actually probably make it too easy to get the ubers...

It would be good to add 1 token to 25++ and two for Incursions, as not everyone can do incursions in solo a lot of players like to play solo and restricting tokens to multiplayer would cause a lot of players to lose interest.

Instead of after completing perhaps a low chance at the end of maps 1 or 2 can be rewarded, thus people could grind for a week on the map of their choice if they want for ubers it still beats the 2 month grind more for some, and still gives the players some hope and control for their Token hunt. But as it was said in the Dev cast yesterday they wanted the cost lower but wanted to play with the numbers and there is a good chance the cost will be lowered.

With them wanting to create a whole bunch of ubers, I cant see myself playing the game for to long if im restricted from playing with them for months at a time, its already frustrating only having 1 uber I hope either the price of ubers gets changed so we can unlock 1 a week or they just end up selling them for gold, it really is a drag.

I hate the idea of dailys, make me feel like im playing a ipad rpg or a facebook game and its starting to make the game feel like a chore.

@jako3578 quote:

@ally quote:

15 hours vs 15 days, this would actually probably make it too easy to get the ubers...

Uber's should not be that special. 60 Wyvern Den runs on Hard Incursion is more than fair, especially once everything gets balanced. 

I agree that the price needs to drop, but I don't think Wyvern tokens need to be easier to obtain.  The mechanic is there to keep people playing long-term.  If everything was easy to obtain, it wouldn't really be worth it in the end.  I know many will say this will keep them from playing long term, but everything from Wyvern Tokens is not essential to gameplay.  They are meant to be side upgrades that offer varying opportunities.  Long-term retention doesn't happen if everything can be obtained in a day of playing.

@gotrunks712 quote:

I agree that the price needs to drop, but I don't think Wyvern tokens need to be easier to obtain.  The mechanic is there to keep people playing long-term.  If everything was easy to obtain, it wouldn't really be worth it in the end.  I know many will say this will keep them from playing long term, but everything from Wyvern Tokens is not essential to gameplay.  They are meant to be side upgrades that offer varying opportunities.  Long-term retention doesn't happen if everything can be obtained in a day of playing.

Wyvern tokens are not difficult to obtain currently,  just tedious. If you can beat a level once you can beat it again. While wyvern tokens may not be essential to game play, why would you want to lock content from players who want to get all they can from the game? Players should be allowed the set the pace in which they play if they want to do it all as fast as they can, why not let them? Doing a single mission a day for wyvern tokens does not equal retention.

@ally quote:

@jako3578 quote:

@ally quote:

Uber's should not be that special. 60 Wyvern Den runs on Hard Incursion is more than fair, especially once everything gets balanced. 

Yea, 15 days is way too much, and i guess it would actually be nicer with them not really being that rare at all, when i think about it... Because there's gonna end up being way more ubers, they've said, and what if you switch uber maybe 2 times.. For each of your 6 heroes.. That would be a lot of grinding, so i guess they do have to be way more common.

It would be better that with the wyvern tokens you have the  best uber sphere.

But there should be a lesser available since investing now in a 100k slot is pretty useless.

Same as the lower lvl to lvl 25 spheres those are better and more expensive.

I know its progress but there should be some alternative spheres availbe for the time being since its basicly a wasted slot until really far end game.

Since wyvern tokens are related to accessories by the keys, we should not forget those. Also i really enjoy being quite unique since they're so hard to achieve you know exactly which friends have which uber.

When someone needs info or testing they contact that one friends, as one of the few who actually got the flamethrower spec i like the special feeling of having something half unique.

So I do like how hard/long it is to get them.

However i think i wouldn't mind them stacking for the days you miss them, sometimes people just can't log in that day, and they should be able to do it, or some people can only play on weekends.

@harmisol quote:

I know its progress but there should be some alternative spheres availbe for the time being since its basicly a wasted slot until really far end game.

I've never seen anyone word my opinion about skill sphere system i early game so well.

Well i do understand that the uber slots having equipped is something unique ( don't have them by myself since i have just started). But a early alternative would be nice. Also cant wait to buy 1 when i have enough. I don't want them to be given 'free' but you need to do some effort for it since there that much better ( i hope) :P.

When i bought the uberslot i hoped there where some alternatives like the other spheres slots but sadly you can buy them only at the adventurer npc. But again  like i said it would be nice to have some sort of sphere or option avaiable early game as  the same as the other slots.

After all DD series is about customizing yourself by your own play style more options is always good.

The more Ubers that are introduced, the less each one is going to cost. The initial cost of the 4 original is designed to keep people's attention until another patch can come out.

@Kaizan quote:

Doing a quest once a day is not hard, that said I'm not keen on the developer's current approach to keeping people playing. They've already stated the 8 hours for pet incubation was to make players want to play the next day, sorry I find that a little lame.  Players should want to play every day because the games amazing, not because they feel if they don't they miss out on pet and tokens.

I think Uber's should have a chance to drop from bosses and Tokens should be kept for more cosmetic purposes for the tavern or crafting recipes as the crafting system won the influence vote. 

@Anon quote:

@gotrunks712 quote:

Wyvern tokens are not difficult to obtain currently,  just tedious. If you can beat a level once you can beat it again. While wyvern tokens may not be essential to game play, why would you want to lock content from players who want to get all they can from the game? Players should be allowed the set the pace in which they play if they want to do it all as fast as they can, why not let them? Doing a single mission a day for wyvern tokens does not equal retention.

I see where you are going with it, but I still don't agree.  If there isn't any new content available or a limit to progression in some way, players can blow through the game in a week after each patch and retention will fall.  Trendy wants to keep players playing for longer than a week after each patch and needs to have systems in place in order to do so.  The only thing that actually keeps me playing right now are Wyvern Tokens.  Yes I do occasionally play a game aside from the daily quest, but the majority of the time I have spent recently is only doing daily quests because of the lack of content and reliable progression gear wise from playing normally.  There is logical reason why the current token system works in so many other games, especially free to play games.

As [[43252,users]] explained, those who have Ubers have a feeling of accomplishment and the feeling of uniqueness makes them more valuable.  Otherwise everyone would be running around with LSAs in the current patch, ignore everything else, and be able to solo current content.  There would be even less people playing the game right now if that were the case.

Essentially saying Wyvern tokens shouldn't be locked is like saying level 1 players should get a quest to start earning Wyvern tokens.  The why, as already stated, is for a number of reasons.  If everything in the game could be unlocked within a week, people would play, unlock it all, then stop playing until the next patch.  No content locks would mean Incursion 25+++ would be available from level 1.  There will always be content locked in any game.  Difficulty itself is a lock to content that some players may not be able to achieve until progressing further.  DD2 already had content locks before this and will continue to do so.

Either way, players can still play the game at their own pace.  Gating the token quest does not stop you from playing the game and getting all you can.

On another note, taking away the near excluse rewards would lead to another argument.  Why don't we just give all early access bonuses to all players?  Why don't those not in the Defense Council have the Defense Council skins?

[[14331,users]] [[65382,users]]
I like the idea of having some ubers drop, maybe a little less common than legendaries.  At least then there would be another way to gain some ubers to fill that slot, while the token system can still be used to gain more in different ways.

@gotrunks712 quote:

harmisol Glazy
I like the idea of having some ubers drop, maybe a little less common than legendaries.  At least then there would be another way to gain some ubers to fill that slot, while the token system can still be used to gain more in different ways.

Legendaries drop like 4 times each game, that's waaay too much. If ubers would drop as loot, it would have to be like one uber per 3 games at least...

I don't think ubers should drop as mob loot...that would feel off. It should be a chest reward from completing the map. 

@In.Session quote:

I hate the idea of dailys, make me feel like im playing a ipad rpg or a facebook game and its starting to make the game feel like a chore.

This.

Logging on just to do a daily is not playing the game. It might look good on a report for the developer/publisher, but, IMO, it does not count as actually playing. When I get to the point of logging on just for a daily, I start to consider why I'm logging on just for a daily, realize there is no logical reason, and move on to one of the many other games I have available to me.

The replay-ability of a game should not feel forced or like a chore, but come naturally due to enjoying the contents of the game.

My suggestions is to tie token trader closer with the rest of gameplay, for example:

- Allow Uber speheres to (rarely) drop in game, for example from legendary chests or bosses

- Allow to farm small numbers of tokens as drops from chests and boses as well