Sign in to follow this  
toan08

[Build Management System] Reduce Downtime, Build Efficiently

Original post started in Defense Council Section with greater details.  I am posting a shorter version here (less reading, brief overview).  My intention is to get more ideas and discussions since it appears there is very little activity in the Defense Council threads.

I present the Holographic Construction Guide (HCG), and here's a sample model:

25f0h09.jpg

What is it and what does it do?  It’s a little robot orb you summon to your side.  It doesn't deal damage, but it provides administrative support to help you out.  HCG gives you the ability to capture and store specific builds, as well as the entire map build into memory in the form of blueprints.  You can recall these blueprints later for a map, and HCG will beam them onto the playing field as holographs.  You can follow that same build, or completely ignore it all together and build something else.  If you choose to follow previous builds, towers you place near the holographs can snap right into place, exact fit with original direction when pressing and holding [Shift key].  You also have the option to hide all the holographic display at any time, or unsummon HCG and all holographs will disappear.  During combat phase, the holographs automatically disappear to reduce clutter and improve visibility.

How will this idea impact the gaming experience in DD2?  As stated above, HCG’s core design is administrative support role.  It will reduce the initial build by roughly 50-70%, manage all your builds after playing through several maps, and provide a more effective method in describing complicated builds to friends/players alike.  After you master several builds and capture them into memory, you can manage all those blueprints under a new UI (rename, sort/filter system).

Here's a sample table to show what can be done with a Build Management UI:

nn1ief.jpg

Additionally, you can trade these blueprints or give them away to friends so they can study all the various strategic builds of different maps.  I believe having the ability to share blueprints with other players in the DD2 community is helpful.  Some players are just dying to show you their “perfect build” while others may struggle, and having some sort of build management system may improve the gaming experience.  Where it is most helpful…complicated maps with difficult situations and challenges, as well as recall specific builds that you can’t remember.

What do you guys think?  Does it sound helpful?  Will it enhance the gaming experience?

**Update** So I decided to fiddle around with some UI creation, and here's a concept build of a Blueprint Manager UI running within the game. 

o9movl.jpg

I cannot get images to show up in the post.  Any advice will be greatly appreciated.  Figured it out, images updated.

OW YES! We Need this! + DD2 Could Sell extra Blueprint Slots or something to bring in a few bucks to keep servers running!

I love the idea of a Floating Orb who Goes Poof During combat phase. 

You could even sell "outfits" like Steampunk Modle,Steel orb with backpack full of scrools, Crome Skull with Fire eyes, Evil Phantasm Orb with spiks and Drill, Robotic Orbs with Arms like Mr.Gusty! from fallout, or even that thing arnold schwarzenegger pulled out of his nose in total recall! 

Box it UP BABY i'm sold!

@Gothraga quote:

OW YES! We Need this! + DD2 Could Sell extra Blueprint Slots or something to bring in a few bucks to keep servers running!

That's a cool idea!  I didn't even think about Blueprint Slots capable of generating revenue for Trendy.  Obtaining a good Blueprint is probably worth as much as a powerful legendary item or even more!  Perhaps, when the devs implement a trade system, Blueprints can be one of the commodities available.  Until then, what did you have in mind as in Blueprint Slots?  Did you mean each player starts with a default of 1 slot available?  For example, if you like a particular build and capture into memory, then it consumes 1 slot, and you cannot store anymore blueprints until you purchase/unlock more slots.

@Gothraga quote:

You could even sell "outfits" like Steampunk Modle,Steel orb with backpack full of scrools, Crome Skull with Fire eyes, Evil Phantasm Orb with spiks and Drill, Robotic Orbs with Arms like Mr.Gusty! from fallout, or even that thing arnold schwarzenegger pulled out of his nose in total recall! 

It would be awesome to have cosmetic upgrades for the little robot orb.  Change its appearance to stand out from the crowd.  Definitely a great idea worth looking into!

I feel like you shouldn't be able to use this feature on a map unless you've already beaten it x times, otherwise it could trivialize the excitement of playing on a new map for the first time and trying to figure out a good placement strategy yourself.  

If i could just go into a new map and load up a blueprint, and know that i can easily pass it, it would feel silly not to do it.

@Dirigible quote:

I feel like you shouldn't be able to use this feature on a map unless you've already beaten it x times, otherwise it could trivialize the excitement of playing on a new map for the first time and trying to figure out a good placement strategy yourself.  

Excellent point!  I think one of the biggest problem most players encounter is the tedious amount of time it takes to setup towers during the initial build phase.  I timed myself solo play on the Wyvern den 3 times, and each session takes about 5-6 minutes setting up as quickly as possible for the "perfect build, leak-proof" (not using ubber lightning, just using apprentice, monk boost, and squire wall).  I noticed during the build phase, after xx minutes go by, and you press G, other players are AFK, tabbed out reading news, watching youtube, or fiddling their thumb and whatnot.  This is one of the reasons I dislike public group games - the downtime causes a chain of AFK players into combat phase.  Sometimes you have to wait for the full countdown after 2 players give the go, just to find out you have to kick a player because he/she still AFK into next round.  After several minutes of downtime, and waiting for a full countdown, and an AFK player triggering another countdown...you get the point :)

For this reason, especially after you played a map several times, having some sort of build management for easy "Plop 'N Go" would greatly reduce the downtime.  I wouldn't mind having an instant load from a favorite blueprint on a particular map.  This would allow me to skip 5-6 minutes straight into the heat, beat it, collect my reward and move on.

If i could just go into a new map and load up a blueprint, and know that i can easily pass it, it would feel silly not to do it.

Valid point here as well.  Perhaps blueprints you captured into memory should be account-bound and not allowed for trade?  But then again, you have players asking for suggestions and seeking strategy on youtube videos on how to beat certain maps.  In this scenario, I would prefer just to give them a blueprint and they can look at it, beats having to type it out in chat, do this, do that...

I just updated with a screenshot of a concept Blueprint UI within the game, posted above.  Feel free to check it out.

You have my vote! This is like an idea I was talking with one of the devs about way back when there was only 1 map in the game :P won't go into details but hope this or something like this is implemented 

I am NSPlayer and I approve of this feature.

If it is implemented, dank memes will forever be ours.

I feel like this is a good idea, but dont think that this should be in the actual game. I would prefer this as a plugin/mod for the game for those who want it. If its in the game then it should be something that is more like a tool people can enable/disable via options rather than having it as something to trade or even earn slots for. You either have it as it is or you dont have it at all.

The way Trendy is going about purchasing the extra storage space and cosmetics is a brilliant system and it works really well as it doesnt influence the game mechanics. I feel that if this type of feature would start influencing the games economy, the game would become closer to pay to win rather than pay to look cool. That something to be careful of.

None the less, the Idea is brilliant and I would love to see this available in some form that does not require for you to spend money on it.